Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown Jewels to be taken to Norfolk for 'central role' in Princess Charlotte's christening | Daily Mail Online

Silly article - it makes it sound like ALL the crown jewels are going. I question the idea that the font has never left London. On the Royal Collection website it states that the Lily font has been in use for all the royal baptisms since 1841. Quite a few baptisms have happened at Sandringham, White Lodge and Windsor. So.....?

Silly is the right word to describe not only the article, but the entire newspaper.

I look forward to seeing the official photos.

Godparents announce

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 31s31 seconds ago
The godparents have been announced: Miss Sophie Carter
Mr. James Meade Mr. Adam Middleton The Hon. Laura Fellowes
Mr. Thomas van Straubenzee

So a cousin from Diana's side chosen this time in the form of Laura.

Last edited:
Really nice and thoughtful to have Laura

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

So a cousin from each side and then three friends of the couple?

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

I saw some people say Tom VS or James Meade. But not both. I never heard of Sophie Carter. I like the two first cousins from the Middleton and Spencer sides.

Interesting that there is only 5, not six with another woman to even it out.

Update: Did some googling -Sophie Carter was at Kate's bday at Cirque de Soleil along with Trini and Emilia and their hubbys plus cousins Adam and Lucy.

Last edited:
They were predictable choices in that they were friends or cousins of the couple. I had no idea who Sophie or James were but nice to see they are friends.

Well we always knew it would be friends and family but for Tom and James Meade but didn't see the rest on many people's picks.

The bookies probably made a killing since the York girls were bookie favorites

I'm really happy to see Diana's niece included should put paid to all the "they never see her side" talk.

I think I like their choice, it's very personal and it's lovely that they included Laura Fellowes. However, it would have been lovely if Sophie Wessex or another woman was included to make it 3-3 for men-women. It's also quite a big difference (2 godparents) with prince George. IMO, they should have chosen 6 for Charlotte.

I'm really happy to see Diana's niece included should put paid to all the "they never see her side" talk.

I think that is just for Earl Spencer not Aunt Sarah and Jane. William and Kate went to Laura's wedding in 2009. Laura was flower girl to William's page boy during the wedding of Sarah and Andrew.

I'm sure the godparents are all very nice but it's rather predictable.

Why oh why have British royals stopped asking Continental royals to be godparents? George will one day be King of England and the rest. Charlotte won't. Nor will Isabella of Denmark or Leonore of Sweden, but they had the future Queen Mathilde of Belgium and Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark for one and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden for the other.

If we are to have royalty let's have a touch of glamour and regality and tradition about these things.

Godparents have been announced:

Sophie Carter

James Richard Meade b. 1981
- Person Page 7090
wife: Lady Laura Clare Marsham, daughter of 8th Earl of Romney

Adam Middleton
- Person Page 64402
wife: Rebecca Poynton

Hon. Laura Jane Fellowes
b. 19 July 1980
- Person Page 10146
husband: Nicholas Peter Pettman

Thomas Alexander van Straubenzee b. 1982
- Person Page 59072
wife: Lady Melissa Jane Percy, daughter of 12th Duke of Northumberland

Last edited:

Why oh why have British royals stopped asking Continental royals to be godparents? George will one day be King of England and the rest. Charlotte won't. Nor will Isabella of Denmark or Leonore of Sweden, but they had the future Queen Mathilde of Belgium and Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark for one and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden for the other.

If we are to have royalty let's have a touch of glamour and regality and tradition about these things.

It would be silly to ask any of the continental royals to be godparents when William & Catherine aren't close friends with any of them and really don't know them. They chose people who are close family and friends. In the old days, European royals knew each other better and godparents were chosen that way.

I think the only grandchildren of the Queen to have a foreign Royal godparent is William who has King Constantine. The others who have a royal godparent are Harry and Zara who have Andrew as a godparent and Peter who has Charles. The rest have paternal/maternal cousins and friends. Even the Windsors themselves haven't got many foreign royal godchildren (except for the Queen). I think Charles has a couple of Greek godchildren, William has one Greek, Anne has Crown Prince Haakon and Edward has Prince Nikolai.

Last edited:
Godparents are picked from friends and family. It wouldn't go over well in England to pick a continental royal they don't. For the last time allow the British to things their way.

William had a Greek but that was because of familial relations

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 1h1 hour ago
After Christening, William & Kate will 'give a tea' at Sandringham House where guests will be served christening cake (tier of wedding cake)

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 37m37 minutes ago
It's pouring down here at Sandringham. Hope it brightens up to allow the family to walk down to church.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 37m37 minutes ago
Nice nod to the Spencer side of the family with the choice of Laura Fellowes.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 40m40 minutes ago
Frustrating that phone signals are so intermittent here at Sandringham. Tweets may be difficult today, as ever. I've been trying for 40 mins

Last edited:
The 'Why Oh Why' was a rhetorical question, but I still think it's a pity.

Adam Middleton has an impressive CV

It would be silly to ask any of the continental royals to be godparents when William & Catherine aren't close friends with any of them and really don't know them. They chose people who are close family and friends. In the old days, European royals knew each other better and godparents were chosen that way.

imo in the old days the class-gap was even bigger than today, so the people you could mingle with and be friends with were people of your own class (or higher ;) ), so royals would mingle with other royals, and that would include royals from other countries because there aren't that many domestic royals...
So in the old days godparents might have been chosen from the "friendly circle" too, just like today, just that today's circles are a bit wider :flowers:

There is not really a history of British royals using many foreign royals as godparents. They were more likely to use their own family. If you look at Charles and Anne's and then Andrew and Edward thru the grandkids and now great grandkids there are less and less royals as godparents

Charles: King George IV, King Haakon VII of Norway, Queen Mary, Princess Margaret as the Royal godparents

Anne: Queen Mum, Princess Andrew of Greece , Philip's German Princess Sister

Andrew: Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra

Edward: Prince Richard of Gloucester, German Princess Philip's sister, Prince Louis of Hesse

Peter: Prince Charles

Zara: Prince Andrew

William: King Constantine, Princess Alexandra

Harry: Prince Andrew

Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, James, George, Charlotte - no Royal godparents

Adam Middleton has an impressive CV

I believe it was Adam's wedding Kate attended at the Dorchester Hotel last summer when there was some fuss over the Sultan of Brunei and a boycott .

Can't wait to see pics!

LaRae

There is not really a history of British royals using many foreign royals as godparents. They were more likely to use their own family. If you look at Charles and Anne's and then Andrew and Edward thru the grandkids and now great grandkids there are less and less royals as godparents

Charles: King George IV, King Haakon VII of Norway, Queen Mary, Princess Margaret as the Royal godparents

Anne: Queen Mum, Princess Andrew of Greece , Philip's German Princess Sister

Andrew: Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra

Edward: Prince Richard of Gloucester, German Princess Philip's sister, Prince Louis of Hesse

Peter: Prince Charles

Zara: Prince Andrew

William: King Constantine, Princess Alexandra

Harry: Prince Andrew

Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, James, George, Charlotte - no Royal godparents

No, and I think it's a pity for a future king like George to have no royal godparents, domestic or foreign. However, I've said what I think and I'm now going to enjoy the christening.

Back
Top Bottom