Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As usual, I agree with you. It is hard to believe that they would have driven all the way to St. Mary Magdalene with a baby and a toddler if they were actually staying in London. It's lovely that Diana was baptized there.

I don't know where either of my parents were baptized because my parents moved from their home town before I was born. Since William has regularly visited Sandringham throughout his life (and has probably been to that church), I can believe that Diana, or a member of her family, told William that Diana was baptized there. I am also willing to bet that William has been to St. Mary Magdalene with his father and other members of the royal family.

Regarding the godparents, I expect that, like with George, they will choose people among their own age group. I would love to see Charles will be asked this time. It would be nice if Harry and Pippa were asked to be godparents.

William has certainly been to St. Mary Magdalene with his family, including his mother - that's where the family attend Christmas services every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Christening is happening in the middle of Wimbledon I can see Pippa skipping too. Kidding!

Thanks Isabelle and Skippyboo. I suspected that was the case but wasn't sure. Although I think it is charming that Diana was baptized in the church, other people William loves are associated with the church too.

The 5th is the Sunday between the two weeks of Wimbledon so there aren't any matches that day. The men's final is July 12 so tennis loving Middletons are free for the Christening.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It would be funny if they actually planned around Wimbledon matches. Part of me thinks it's not so farfetched.

why was eugenie baptized there

She was very old to be baptized ... Barely fit the christening gown. And if I recall it had to so with Andrew being at sea. She is also the only one during a regular church service... I believe around Christmas time.

I'm sure someone can fill in more particulars.

why was eugenie baptized there

She was baptized there while the royal family were at Sandringham during the Christmas holidays. Eugenie was the first royal to have a public Christening.

Last edited:
The 5th is the Sunday between the two weeks of Wimbledon so there aren't any matches that day. The men's final is July 12 so tennis loving Middletons are free for the Christening.

There are no scheduled matches that day but if the first week is very wet then they use that Sunday as the 'catch-up day'.

But those possible catch up matches are not ones that the family would attend unlike the men's final where they have gone to regularly for the past couple of years. The tournament was pushed back a week from when it's started last year.

She was very old to be baptized ... Barely fit the christening gown. And if I recall it had to so with Andrew being at sea. She is also the only one during a regular church service... I believe around Christmas time.

I'm sure someone can fill in more particulars.

Eugenie was nine months at her christening but not as old as Zara's daughter Mia who was nearly a year old at hers.

Yes, I do remember that they had to leave the christening gown unbuttoned at the back because Eugenie had grown too big for it.

Just saw in the Sandringham site that the house will be closed to tourists on Sunday July 5...so maybe HM is hosting the christening after all

https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/visiting-sandringham/

Nice detective work. If the Cambridges had planned to host at Anmer Hall, then they probably would have had the Christening at Anmer Church - next door to their house. Sandringham makes more sense with the church they've chosen.

It would be good if some of the guests and family walked to church from the main house. They could push the children down in prams if it was a nice day.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
The Royal Mint is to issue a range of commemorative coins to mark the christening of Princess Charlotte on July 5.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
The Queen, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Chancellor George Osborne will choose the design of the silver coins.

Nice detective work. If the Cambridges had planned to host at Anmer Hall, then they probably would have had the Christening at Anmer Church - next door to their house. Sandringham makes more sense with the church they've chosen.

Or they may not want members of the public around the area in general for security reasons. With regards to Eugenie's Christening I remember reading years ago that Andrew was told by the people who looked after the old royal christening robe that it was far too small and fragile for his daughter to wear but Andrew being Andrew wouldn't hear of her wearing anything other than the ROYAL christening robe. Apparently when it was returned the fears of the retainers were realized as it was noted that some damage had indeed been done by squeezing Eugenie into it and they were not best pleased to say the least.

Last edited:
@RE_DailyMail: KP: While the service itself will be private, William and Kate 'will be pleased to welcome well-wishers into the paddock outside the church'

@RE_DailyMail: KP: The Duke and Duchess are hugely grateful for the warm wishes they have received since Princess Charlotte's birth.....

@RE_DailyMail: KP: many of them from local people in Norfolk - and are delighted the paddock can be opened on the day of the christening.

@RE_DailyMail: KP say that well-wishers will be able to view the royal party arriving for christening of #PrincessCharlotte at Sandringham this weekend.

Princess Charlotte's christening: new details revealed - hellomagazine.com

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be pleased to welcome well-wishers into the paddock outside the church. The Duke and Duchess are hugely grateful for the warm wishes they have received since Princess Charlotte's birth – many of them from local people in Norfolk – and are delighted the paddock can be opened on the day of the christening."

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h4 hours ago City of London, London
KP doesn't want us publishing precise christening timings for now but is happy to say it's on Sunday afternoon. Further updates expected.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h4 hours ago City of London, London
If the weather's OK, next Sunday will be a good chance to see Prince George walking down to church. Charlotte's likely to be in a pram.

so is the paddock of the chuch not usually open to the public then? are they just opening for the public to enter during this occasion to greet the well wishers?
let's hope that if charlotte arrives in a pram we still get a glimpse of her...

Let me predict, Camilla will wear the mint green outfit worn at Ascot.

The women will probably all match except the Queen who will wear pink.

I'm not sure Princes Charlotte will be in a pram, more likely in her mother's or father's arms.

That's nice that they'll have the paddock of the church open. I kind of doubt that they'd keep Charlotte in a pram for the entire walk to the church - I'm guessing they'll carry her for at least a short bit of the way. After all, they carried George into St. James's Palace so that the media could get a glimpse (I realize the setup was different, but I still suspect they'll try to give people at least a brief look).

so is the paddock of the chuch not usually open to the public then? are they just opening for the public to enter during this occasion to greet the well wishers?
let's hope that if charlotte arrives in a pram we still get a glimpse of her...

Correct me if I am wrong - but I think the paddock is that grass lined pavement, with the brick wall on one side, that the family walks at Christmas. And I think it is open in general.

If this link works Google maps shows what I think is the paddock entrance? Click on the 5th photo from left at the bottom of the page.

Google Map Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that with photos from Princess Eugenie's christening that members of the public were allowed to access the area as well and see the family that day. Eugenie was the last member of the BRF who was christened at that church.

The details are not news, since it was pretty obvious who the guests would be and that the public would be allowed to gather outside (Like it was on George's christening). Okay, I have to say it, now: the fact that the crowd is allowed to stay at the "paddock" sounds cheerlessy IMO and it could be very well omitted... like: "Oh we are honored to have you plebs standing there and watching us just pass along"... sorry but I was less than impressed by this statement... and now: throw stones at me...

The details are not news, since it was pretty obvious who the guests would be and that the public would be allowed to gather outside (Like it was on George's christening). Okay, I have to say it, now: the fact that the crowd is allowed to stay at the "paddock" sounds cheerlessy IMO and it could be very well omitted... like: "Oh we are honored to have you plebs standing there and watching us just pass along"... sorry but I was less than impressed by this statement... and now: throw stones at me...

i have to agree with you, hence my question before on what was so special about opening the paddock, or whether it was especially open for the event... clearly not.

I've read a few articles that have stated that the paddock is usually closed to the public, but William and Catherine are asking for it to be open for the christening.

Back
Top Bottom