Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's not a girl at all, she's a woman in her mid forties. She looked clean, and neat and appropriately dressed in uniform. Her looks are totally irrelevant.

Ugh, seems like even those who work near the Cambridges are going to be exposed to nasty comments about their looks and clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Is she really in her mid 40's? She doesn't look near that!

LaRae

Did they wait a few days before they released George's christening photos? I am intrigued to see Mario Testino's photo's as his photos are normally beautiful.

Did they wait a few days before they released George's christening photos? I am intrigued to see Mario Testino's photo's as his photos are normally beautiful.

When you are Mario Testino, you take time to make your photos into wonderful, perfect prints/digital images. You crop and change exposure and weigh the relative greatness of each image befor you release them to the family. You do not rush some snaps to the DM. ;)

Yeah, when photographing at this level the last thing you want to do is rush and send out sub par work or unflattering poses, angles, etc. People pay for the best and expect to get it or go Elsewhare next time.

I would expect photos Wed or Thursday - not today on the 7/7 anniversary nor on Friday on the anniversary of the Battle of Britain. If not by Thursday - then for the weekend editions of the papers.

Maria was there for the actual christening.
When Kate and William were participating at the christening, Maria would have been looking after George.

I thought Kate was very hands on with her children.

When George ran away she told William to go after him.
When George had one of his stubborn moods and William was trying to deal with him, Kate put her hand on William's back and told him to just carry George.
When George had another of his moods Kate stopped and turn around to look at him.
When George's hair became ruffled she combed it with her hands
When George peeked into the crib, Kate talked to him and made sure he didn't go after Charlotte.

William seems to have a bit of difficulty keeping up with George.

If Kate had not told him to go after George who knows where George would have ended up.

Kate kept her eyes on both of her children. William became distracted by Charlotte, the Queen, the Archbishop, etc..

Kate handled George by herself several times including at the polo game and at the farm. She has visited the farm several times and the nanny was no where to be seen.

The nanny is there to help out when Kate is busy with Charlotte or when Kate is away.

This is what I saw as well. William and Catherine were the ones handling their children probably ninety percent of the time. Miss. Maria was more than likely keeping tabs on George during the Christening service. William and Catherine need a full-time nanny, and they have one, but it doesn't mean she's the one who is ALWAYS caring for their son and daughter. As someone pointed out, it's a better situation for the child to,stay at home with the nanny, than be at a daycare, where he/she may not get as much attention. Thank you for your play-by-play.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It is just a bit of ceremonial that a nanny is dressed like that for formal events. Look at the nanny of (now) King Willem-Alexander: picture.

Is it a normal thing for nannies to be on hand for Royal christening?

Royal's have their Nannies with them all the time. The Monaco twins' nannies were there for their christening's.

I would expect photos Wed or Thursday - not today on the 7/7 anniversary nor on Friday on the anniversary of the Battle of Britain. If not by Thursday - then for the weekend editions of the papers.

This is exactly my thinking :) Prince George's were released the day after his christening at 10pm (slightly earlier because the Telegraph broke embargo) but I think it's very sensible that they have been delayed this time.

Reports said that the Testino pictures will be released when William and Kate approve the one's they like.

I really have no doubt that Maria is a full time, professional nanny who gets paid professional wages and also is a live in resident of the Cambridge household. She's also a graduate of Norland which has had a stellar reputation for years and I would imagine that the graduates are proud to wear the uniform.

Given what we have seen and what we know about both William and Kate when it comes to their household and raising their children, I would bet my last cream puff that Maria finds herself being regarded as part of the family. Both George and Charlotte will be as close to Maria as any other family member and to me, its a good thing as for little ones the family circle at home is their circle of trust.

Another thing I noticed at the christening is that Maria was very much included and encouraged to be there and meet and greet with the people attending. She obviously wasn't to fade into the background and perhaps that is the reason she chose to wear the Norland uniform. After all, this day was centered on Charlotte and those that will be important in her life.
From all of the photos that we've seen of Maria this is the first time I've seen one where she is in her Norland uniform. Typically she wears comfortable slacks/skirts and blouses. She earned the privilege to wear that uniform and if that is what she wants to wear for "formal occasions" then IMO it is her right.

I'm positive that royal nannies have been present at BRF royal christenings at BP just that they're out of sight, this is just one of the few times we've seen one.

Jessie Webb was at George's. She came out of the Chapel Royal with Mike Middleton.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

When do we see the outrage against Lupo Cambridge who is so uncivilized that he goes to the bathroom outdoors ?

The Daily Mail had an article about Pippa upstaging Kate again because she wore the same color just like the Royal wedding. Like Pippa and Kate didn't talk about what they were wearing beforehand. C'mon.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:bang: I saw that crap! I hate these people string up non existent conflict. Pippa's outfit was better than Kate's but she didn't upstage her.

The Cambridge's are really the fabulous foursome. They really looked so fabulous. 2 adorable kids. 2 loving parents. And a nanny that looks like she could be Mary Poppins, or off of Downton Abbey- I'm sure nowhere near as cruel though- or The Sound of Music.

Royal's have their Nannies with them all the time. The Monaco twins' nannies were there for their christening's.

From all staff at any Household, the nanny or the governess comes the most close in the core private lifesphere of the family. That means they need 100% trust in a person. Often a friendship develops but of course there remains an employer-employee relationship. Nannies and governesses are even included when there are formal celebrations, exactly like Fraülein Maria in the Sound of Music, when Freiin Elsa von Schräder came to the house to see Captain Von Trapp. See picture and picture (showing Amalia's nannies Miss Görtz resp. Miss Van den Bent). I do not know if all royal families make use of a nanny, sometimes they seem invisible.

Last edited:
From all staff at any Household, the nanny or the governess comes the most close in the core private lifesphere of the family. That means they need 100% trust in a person. Often a friendship develops but of course there remains an employer-employee relationship. Nannies and governesses are even included when there are formal celebrations, exactly like Fraülein Maria in the Sound of Music, when Freiin Elsa von Schräder came to the house to see Captain Von Trapp. See picture and picture (showing Amalia's nannies Miss Görtz resp. Miss Van den Bent). I do not know if all royal families make use of a nanny, sometimes they seem invisible.

I agree that a child and their parents need to trust their nannies 100%, probably more so if they are nannies to royal children. I am not sure about other royals but Edward and Sophie generally bring their nanny everywhere with them and she is seen on holiday with them. They have had the same one since Louise was born. London Paralympics (the woman behind Edward) + Commonwealth Games (next to Louise) + Olympic Flag ceremony + Windsor Horse Show + Royal Ascot

I know several people who have gone on to be live-in nannies for rich people and they travel everywhere with the family. A lot of the time the family ask that the nanny be able to travel openly and have no other commitments, so it's a life of never marrying or having your own children really.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen her photos with the Wessex children for years now. Seems as though that family has found someone who works well with them.

Yes, I've seen her photos with the Wessex children for years now. Seems as though that family has found someone who works well with them.

Yeah they have and that's lucky. I know the Queen's children had several nannies as children. Louise and James obviously have a bond with her and that helps and I hope Maria remains with George and Charlotte for sometime.

When does the nanny usually leave, like do the Duchess of Brabant or the other teen royals still use one? Does she just gradually morph into an unofficial chaperone/advisor? I know QEII's stayed till the end of her life.

What do you want William and Kate to have? A couple of 15 year old girls in the neighborhood who may or may not have a date themselves and could maybe show up?Kate is obviously a very good mother, watching both kids and training her husband at the same time :). I am amazed at her calm demeanor. I think her mother must help her a lot and give her a lot of insight. Mine did, I was lucky!

Kate seems to have a calm way of doing things as part of her overall nature. Remember when the photos were released showing her nude/topless there was a pic showing her with William in a car and she was obviously trying to calm him down or keep him level (it was reported he was very very angry...understandably so).

She seems to take everything in stride.

LaRae

Yes it's hard to imagine anyone better suited as his wife. With the exceptions of a couple fashion related missteps she's been excellent for the royal family as well.

LaRae

That is a good thing for all concerned. She keeps calm and carries on.The British royals have never had any luck with royals(Margaret) or spouses( Fergie, Diana) who were excitable, rebellious or pushed the envelope.

Yes it's hard to imagine anyone better suited as his wife. With the exceptions of a couple fashion related missteps she's been excellent for the royal family as well.

LaRae
I agree. People can have their thoughts, but they are clearly good for eachother. And still don't seem to have come out of the honeymoon faze :p

What do you want William and Kate to have? A couple of 15 year old girls in the neighborhood who may or may not have a date themselves and could maybe show up?Kate is obviously a very good mother, watching both kids and training her husband at the same time :). I am amazed at her calm demeanor. I think her mother must help her a lot and give her a lot of insight. Mine did, I was lucky!

Training her husband? I wasn't aware William was a dog in need of training. :rolleyes:
Royals who are rebellious in what way? I tend to think Anne is a rebel though not against her family but the public perception of what kind of Princess she should be. I also think Charles is a rebel in some ways, most Notably marrying Camilla, and his views and public issues.

Last edited:
Husbands always need training of some kind or another.

LaRae

Kate does seem to have a wonderfully calm, steady personality. I always thought she seemed to be that way, but the more we see of her in different situations, the more I realize how true it is and how significant it is. For some people, I think it's part of what makes people think Kate's boring, but I think it's part of what makes her a perfect partner for William, both on a personal level and on a public level. She never loses her cool and, particularly when the children are involved, she seems to be so calmly in control of things (and when you've got a toddler as rambunctious as George, that can't be easy!)

And, credit to William too (lest it sound too much like he needs babysitting himself :D), he's always been very protective of Kate, and I think he's really helped to ease her into the royal family and the spotlight, particularly during their engagement and early in their marriage, when she did seem a bit nervous and shy at times. The two of them make a very good pair, and it's so lovely to see them out as a family. They all looked so picture-perfect as a family, which can't be easy with so much going on (babies, crowds, etc.)!

Husbands always need training of some kind or another.

LaRae

:lol: Too true.

Back
Top Bottom