Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George gets all concern about the rest of the family in this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_umaniB6sq0&feature=youtu.be

The always great itnsource video

http://news.itnsource.com/?cat=Royal

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

These were a delight to watch. George definitely has a big personality, and knows what he wants. I'm impressed with how well he behaved, considering all the noise, and the amount of people. He seemed more curious than anything else.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Interesting! Do former archbishops retain that rank or any special styles/privileges?

Yes he sits in the House of Lords and is the first peer of England coming before all non-royal dukes and all the great officers of the Crown.

it seems like baby Charlotte is brown-eyed like her brother.
They really look dark but they still could change. Where are George and Charlotte getting the brown-eyed gene from the family?

Aren't the Middleton's brown eyed?

Aren't the Middleton's brown eyed?
Carole, Pippa, James and Catherine have the same eye color, dark blue/hazel, but defintely not brown. That's why I'm wondering where the brown-eyed gene came from.

Carole, Pippa, James and Catherine have the same eye color, dark blue/hazel, but defintely not brown. That's why I'm wondering where the brown-eyed gene came from.

Michael and Pippa have brown eyes. Carole and James have blue eyes. Catherine has green eyes.

I don't get why the press keeps saying that the choice of Laura Fellowes is meant to invoke memories of Diana, when Robert Fellowes quarreled with Diana and Jane sided with her husband.
The sisters weren't even on speaking terms at the time of Diana's death, so how is that a nod to her memory?

I don't get why the press keeps saying that the choice of Laura Fellowes is meant to invoke memories of Diana, when Robert Fellowes quarreled with Diana and Jane sided with her husband.
The sisters weren't even on speaking terms at the time of Diana's death, so how is that a nod to her memory?

Yes, Diana was close to her oldest sister Sarah, Jane not so much. I think the media overstates the Diana influence, they see what they want to see. They also like to omit contradictory details.

I think it was which one of William's cousins on his mother's side that he is closest to. The press will make a Diana connection to almost anything. Kate wore polka dots leaving the hospital with George must be a tribute to Diana even though the two dresses were totally different other than polka dots

The pictures and videos are nice to see. Thanks to everyone who posted them.

The non-royal godparents reflect the friends of the Duke and Duchess. Prior generations chose royal family members as godparents because those were their friends.

Prior to Charles, royal children were educated at home with little exposure to non-royals. So choosing godparents was limited to royal family members or European royals. Times have changed even more with Royals attending public schools and marrying non-royals. This is reflected in their choices of friends, spouses and godparents.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Because, at the end of the day, it's still family. From what I understand, Diana there were quite a few people with whom Diana was not on speaking terms when she died, which wasn't uncommon, as I think most of her relationships had ups and downs. Just because things were that way between them when Diana died (which was obviously sudden an unexpected) doesn't mean that she thought that relationship would've permanently been that way, or that she would've thought ties should've been severed between their children. Besides, Laura and William aren't responsible for any family spats. I think it's nice that a Spencer cousin was included this time (and a Middleton cousin, too), and I think what mattered most was who William thought was right as a godparent in the present day, rather than focusing on who was on good terms with whom in 1997.

Because, at the end of the day, it's still family. From what I understand, Diana there were quite a few people with whom Diana was not on speaking terms when she died, which wasn't uncommon, as I think most of her relationships had ups and downs. Just because things were that way between them when Diana died (which was obviously sudden an unexpected) doesn't mean that she thought that relationship would've permanently been that way, or that she would've thought ties should've been severed between their children. Besides, Laura and William aren't responsible for any family spats. I think it's nice that a Spencer cousin was included this time (and a Middleton cousin, too), and I think what mattered most was who William thought was right as a godparent in the present day, rather than focusing on who was on good terms with whom in 1997.

I think the point is that William might have chosen Laura just because he likes her. If she had been a paternal cousin instead, he still might have chosen her. For the media to say he picked her to honor Diana is unfair. It diminishes his relationship with Laura. Not every decision revolves around his mother.

I think the point is that William might have chosen Laura just because he likes her. If she had been a paternal cousin instead, he still might have chosen her. For the media to say he picked her to honor Diana is unfair. It diminishes his relationship with Laura. Not every decision revolves around his mother.

We never saw the papers say that picking Zara was honoring Charles. Both Zara and Adam were referred to as William and Kate's cousins. But Laura is referred to as Diana's niece not William's cousin.

My three favorites.

Is she still in there?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/05/17/2A4055AE00000578-3149880-image-a-114_1436113631958.jpg

Your majesty I need your help. My parents told me that were bringing me a nice surprise but come see what they brought me instead.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/05/19/2A40D89700000578-3149880-image-a-65_1436121878388.jpg

Nanny making sure George doesn't get dirty.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/05/19/2A40A85900000578-3149880-image-m-54_1436119953315.jpg

We never saw the papers say that picking Zara was honoring Charles. Both Zara and Adam were referred to as William and Kate's cousins. But Laura is referred to as Diana's niece not William's cousin.

Exactly. The complaint is that poor Laura is being filtered through a Diana lens. Instead of looking at her as an individual with her own relationship with William.

Yes, Diana was close to her oldest sister Sarah, Jane not so much. I think the media overstates the Diana influence, they see what they want to see. They also like to omit contradictory details.

The media makes up non existent or space connections to Diana when they feel it's needed. I woukd hope they chose Laura for who she is and not because she was Williams dead mothers neice. Whatever Jane, Robert or Laura have contributed goes beyond Diana.
In one image of Charlotte she looked very much like baby Kate and in others she looks like George.
I'm glad to see diversity in these grand parents, sometimes it seems to much of William is represented and not enough Kate i.e. Kate's wedding party and Georges god parents.

I do understand that. Sometimes it just seems to me like people (and the media) either want to overplay or underplay things as they relate to Diana, when my perception is frequently that it's not always so clean cut. I don't really see choosing Laura as a specific "tribute" to Diana, but I do think she was chosen to include that side of the family in things (just as Adam was chosen from the Middleton side, and for George they had Zara from the Windsor side). However, of course, the choice is related to Diana, in the very literal sense. The fact that one of Charlotte's middle names is Diana will, of course, make the choice of Laura seem of greater Diana-related significance of some people. But, yes, I think Laura was ultimately chosen because William likes her and thought her an appropriate choice. From my perspective, any connection to Diana is a normal family thing and not necessarily meant as a specific, overt tribute.

I don't know if that makes sense, I just sometimes feel like there's more middle ground with things that have to do with Diana.

The have absolutely no reason to carry the baby in their arms just because people have waited. The comfort and safety of the baby is the most important. They were very generous to walk to church with Prince George and to release photos. They could have made it totally private.

I think I agree. With a long gravelly pathway for Kate to navigate in high heels to the church it was more comfortable and practical, not to mention safer, to keep the baby in her pram. For both of them.

For people disappointed about not getting a better view of Charlotte, that's where Mario Testino comes in. He is one of the world's most celebrated photographers and will be able to show the baby to best advantage.;)

The media makes up non existent or space connections to Diana when they feel it's needed. I woukd hope they chose Laura for who she is and not because she was Williams dead mothers neice. Whatever Jane, Robert or Laura have contributed goes beyond Diana.
In one image of Charlotte she looked very much like baby Kate and in others she looks like George.
I'm glad to see diversity in these grand parents, sometimes it seems to much of William is represented and not enough Kate i.e. Kate's wedding party and Georges god parents.

I agree. I've had the same critique in the past. My favorite thing about today was that it was obvious Catherine got equal input.

I think William has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't need to send coded messages when he wants to honor his mother's memory. He gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring and named his daughter Diana. I doubt hat he named George in honor of the Spencer family or that Catherine wears certain dresses to honor Diana.

I don't think this decision is about Diana per se, but it is possible that William and Catherine chose Laura in part because they want to forge (or maintain) a strong bond between their family and the Spencers. It has to be hard to maintain those family connections when they are extensively involved with the Windsors and the Middletons. There is only so much time and energy.

I'm not saying that William and Catherine aren't close to Laura, but they have a lot of close friends and relatives who would be very suitable. I just think that Laura's Spencer roots was probably a factor in their decision. It is a lovely gesture and will hopefully bring the families closer.

Last edited:
It was a lovely day. I like how all the family and guests behaved... Charlotte is looking very precious! And George couldn't be more adorable!
I think that pram was too big and Kate almost slipped on the hill! But after all, I don't think there were a safer way to carry Charlotte to the chapel...

So now, when can we expect the official pics to be released? I have high hopes for Testino and hope he won't disappoint...

Anybody remember how long it was for the official photos to come out for George? It was a couple days wasn't it?

I'm still catching up on things from today, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the official photos, but I must say my favorite thing from today so far is the pictures/video of George checking in on Charlotte in her pram. He always seems to be such an energetic little guy, and it's nice to see that some of his energy is directed toward being an adorably attentive big brother. :)

Also, Charlotte appears to be absolutely gorgeous. Those eyelashes!

I think William has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't need to send coded messages when he wants to honor his mother's memory. He gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring and named his daughter Diana. I doubt hat he named George in honor of the Spencer family or that Catherine wears certain dresses to honor Diana.

I don't think this decision is about Diana per se, but it is possible that William and Catherine chose Laura in part because they want to forge (or maintain) a strong bond between their family and the Spencers. It has to be hard to maintain those family connections when they are extensively involved with the Windsors and the Middletons. There is only so much time and energy.

I'm not saying that William and Catherine aren't close to Laura, but they have a lot of close friends and relatives who would be very suitable. However, I think that Laura's Spencer roots was probably a factor in their decision. It is a lovely gesture and will hopefully bring the families closer.

I agree, that's pretty much the same impression that I have.

I just looked back on the thread for Prince George's christening and the photos were released at 10pm the day after his christening.

Thanks to those who answered! Well, not long to go since I am sure the embargo will be broken this time too! :D

Back
Top Bottom