Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 'Why Oh Why' was a rhetorical question, but I still think it's a pity.

Since William doesn't even know who they are I don't think its strange that he hasn't asked them. Sophie and Edward are the only british royals who would know euro royals

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think the Queen, Prince Philip and Charles would know a few!

Good choices if if I don't know much of these godparents... But certainly they sound more familiar than the ones chosen for George... I don't know if this is the right thread but why only 5 godaparents? I don't know anything about the anglican church so I wonder what is the maximum number for the godparents... I am familiar with the catholic use of 2 godparents... How is that George got 7 and Charlotte 5? Is there a minimum? Thanks.

I think the choices were good, after all, godparents are a personal thing, so William and Kate choose those who are closest to them.

Curryong said:
I think the Queen, Prince Philip and Charles would know a few!

As for the royal godparents, I always found a pity that the british aren't close like the other European royals, but maybe they like to be more independent who knows.
BUT they're not ignorant IMO. HM The Queen is friends with Beatrix of Netherlands, I saw them hug on that dinner with all the sovereigns. The Queen and Prince Philip know all of the royals close in age with them. Though they probably don't know the younger generation, they know the other European Heirs, they are not that oblivious.

royal_rob said:
Since William doesn't even know who they are I don't think its strange that he hasn't asked them. Sophie and Edward are the only british royals who would know euro royals

As for William and Kate. Of course they know other royals (they've met Frederik, Mary, Mathilde, Phillipe, Willem-Alexander, Charlene and Albert), William for example knows the Spanish royal family because he went there with his parents when he was a kid. As a royal, he knows many other royals, either at dinners, gala's, or other kind of events. Kate doesn't know that many, but in due time (when they become Prince and Princess of Wales and eventually The King and Queen) they'll know more royals, with State Visits and other kind of celebrations.

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

The CoE website says at least three godparents- 2 of the same sex, 1 of opposite sex. No maximum.

Comparing George's to Charlotte's, George has 2 older mentor types that Charlotte doesn't have. The rest are family and friends all near W&K in age.

Good choices if if I don't know much of these godparents... But certainly they sound more familiar than the ones chosen for George... I don't know if this is the right thread but why only 5 godaparents? I don't know anything about the anglican church so I wonder what is the maximum number for the godparents... I am familiar with the catholic use of 2 godparents... How is that George got 7 and Charlotte 5? Is there a minimum? Thanks.

The minimum number of godparents in the Church of England is three, two of the same sex and one of the opposite. There is no maximum, though I think there would be raised eyebrows if you turned up with a posse to church on the day! We don't know why there are only five for Charlotte. Possibly someone was asked and then had to quickly withdraw for some reason.

It's nice that they choose close some family and some friends and for some reason it's nice to see them not choose someone with a Prince/ss title.

About not choosing other royals, maybe they don't know them as well enough to ask them to be godparents to their children. I mean they have met so many royals but who knows if they are friends or if it's only official gatherings they spend a few minutes, that doesn't mean they know the person well enough IMO. Also, I don't see why they should ask other royals to be so when they have friends who can be.

Last edited:
There is a difference of meeting a foreign Royal a couple of times and knowing them enough to make them your child's godparent.

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

any information about live stream?

The telegraph will have one starting at 330 PM UK time. Hopefully it stops raining so they can walk to church

Last edited:
Prince William ans CP Frederick are 4th cousins, Now as an Englishman I think it bizarre to pick Fred based on he's a continental royal. If they were friends maybe but not just because he is royal

Anglican godparents are expected to play a significant role in their godchild's life

Last edited:
There is a difference of meeting a foreign Royal a couple of times and knowing them enough to make them your child's godparent.

That's very true. Although, William and Catherine would know their royal European counterparts better and form close relationships if The Queen would stop sending Edward and Sophie to every continental royal event and start sending an actual future King and Queen.

Then again, who cares, William and Catherine pretty good godparents for George and Charlotte.

I love these choices. Both parties are strongly represented, unlike last time where William's predominated.

Sophie Carter- One of Catherine's trio of best friends(Emilia,Sophie,Trini).

Adam Middleton- Her cousin who she is close with. Like Zara and William, Catherine and Adam are the closest in age of all her cousins.

TvS- William's best friend. When William took TvS on his tour of New Zealand in 2005, he silently announced to the world their depth of friendship. Just like when William invited Catherine to his Sandhurst, RAF and Garter ceremonies he was silently confirming his seriousness to the relationship.

Laura- Good to see his mother's side get a nod. It would have been a little conspicuous to have Zara and Adam with no Spencer cousin. Laura's wedding was also the first family wedding William and Catherine attended together.

James Meade- Another one of William's best friends. During the Concert for Diana the two friends who sat next to him were TvS and James Meade. He is also a friend of Catherine, during the 2007 break-up he was photographed hanging out with her. A mutual friend, indeed.

It's going to be interesting to see the interaction between TvS and Sophie. He dumped her a long time ago. :whistling:

Last edited:
The telegraph will have one starting at 330 PM UK time. Hopefully it stops raining so they can walk to church

Do you have a link to the streaming site?

The Christening is 4PM or 4:30PM?

Last edited:
David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 26m26 minutes ago
My best wishes to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Princess Charlotte's Christening today.

Anything more on sophie carter, like what does she do, how does she know doc

Interesting choices and I am sure they will make lovely godparents. I don't know much about any of them, except that they are discrete, which is obviously very important to William and Catherine.

It is nice that both the Spencers and the Middletons are represented. The Windsors will have a lot of influence on both children growing up, regardless of who the grandparents are.

I've read that Sophie and Kate met years ago, through mutual friends. She's keen on tennis apparently, like the Middleton sisters.

I've read that Sophie and Kate met years ago, through mutual friends. She's keen on tennis apparently, like the Middleton sisters.

Yep. Catherine and Sophie have attended Wimbledon together before. Sophie is also a good friend of Pippa.

Now that I think about it, Catherine, Sophie and the Middletons aren't the only tennis fans there today. Missy Percy was a semi-pro player and does some tennis coaching. And Adam Middleton is a tennis fanatic, he is also good friends with Wimbledon Champion Marion Bartoli.

All of this is quite proper considering this Christening is happening in the middle of Wimbledon. :clap:

The pictures of The Queen and Duke arriving are, I think from this morning's service -and not this afternoon.

I think that the live stream is not working for Polish residents. I am devastated :sad::cry:

:-( I can't find a live stream for USA

Back
Top Bottom