The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h4 hours ago City of London, London
KP doesn't want us publishing precise christening timings for now but is happy to say it's on Sunday afternoon. Further updates expected.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h4 hours ago City of London, London
If the weather's OK, next Sunday will be a good chance to see Prince George walking down to church. Charlotte's likely to be in a pram.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Majesty

so is the paddock of the chuch not usually open to the public then? are they just opening for the public to enter during this occasion to greet the well wishers?
let's hope that if charlotte arrives in a pram we still get a glimpse of her...

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness

Let me predict, Camilla will wear the mint green outfit worn at Ascot.

The women will probably all match except the Queen who will wear pink.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure Princes Charlotte will be in a pram, more likely in her mother's or father's arms.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Courtier

That's nice that they'll have the paddock of the church open. I kind of doubt that they'd keep Charlotte in a pram for the entire walk to the church - I'm guessing they'll carry her for at least a short bit of the way. After all, they carried George into St. James's Palace so that the media could get a glimpse (I realize the setup was different, but I still suspect they'll try to give people at least a brief look).
Old 06-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
so is the paddock of the chuch not usually open to the public then? are they just opening for the public to enter during this occasion to greet the well wishers?
let's hope that if charlotte arrives in a pram we still get a glimpse of her...
Correct me if I am wrong - but I think the paddock is that grass lined pavement, with the brick wall on one side, that the family walks at Christmas. And I think it is open in general.

If this link works Google maps shows what I think is the paddock entrance? Click on the 5th photo from left at the bottom of the page.

Google Map Link
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed that with photos from Princess Eugenie's christening that members of the public were allowed to access the area as well and see the family that day. Eugenie was the last member of the BRF who was christened at that church.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The details are not news, since it was pretty obvious who the guests would be and that the public would be allowed to gather outside (Like it was on George's christening). Okay, I have to say it, now: the fact that the crowd is allowed to stay at the "paddock" sounds cheerlessy IMO and it could be very well omitted... like: "Oh we are honored to have you plebs standing there and watching us just pass along"... sorry but I was less than impressed by this statement... and now: throw stones at me...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
The details are not news, since it was pretty obvious who the guests would be and that the public would be allowed to gather outside (Like it was on George's christening). Okay, I have to say it, now: the fact that the crowd is allowed to stay at the "paddock" sounds cheerlessy IMO and it could be very well omitted... like: "Oh we are honored to have you plebs standing there and watching us just pass along"... sorry but I was less than impressed by this statement... and now: throw stones at me...

i have to agree with you, hence my question before on what was so special about opening the paddock, or whether it was especially open for the event... clearly not.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've read a few articles that have stated that the paddock is usually closed to the public, but William and Catherine are asking for it to be open for the christening.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i have to agree with you, hence my question before on what was so special about opening the paddock, or whether it was especially open for the event... clearly not.
I think the palace could have avoid to say that... . There was no need to underline where the "commoners" are supposed to stand...

I thought the same when it was announced at the chistening of the twins that the people of monaco were encoraged to gather ouside the palace to cheer on the babies... like that was what was expected from them... little things that make me annoyed...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

If the paddock is usually closed to the public, then it makes sense to announce that it will be open. Don't really see it as them underlining where people are supposed to stand, but as them informing the public that a private space will be open.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

It likely will provide additional room for the public and it is possible that the RPOs had given their input on the security arrangements for the event. It would perhaps reduce the need to bring in security barriers.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think the palace could have avoid to say that... . There was no need to underline where the "commoners" are supposed to stand...

I thought the same when it was announced at the chistening of the twins that the people of monaco were encoraged to gather ouside the palace to cheer on the babies... like that was what was expected from them... little things that make me annoyed...
It's not uncommon at royal events - or other VIP events - to make it known if the event will be publicly accessible in any way. It's being helpful more than anything, I think. If there are people in the area who are hoping to catch a glimpse of the family (and the Palace has referred to these people as "well-wishers, which is hardly derogatory), they now know where they can go, and they don't have to worry about turning up and and being disappointed because they can't get anywhere nearby.

I remember when I was at university and the Queen paid a visit to the city where I was studying, and I really wanted to be able to go see her, but none of her engagements seemed to be taking place anywhere where I might be able to see her. Therefore, I didn't bother to go (and later found out that, indeed, almost all the events had been invitation-only). However, on another occasion when I was at my university, Prince Charles was paying a visit to the university itself. His meetings there were private, but the university let it be known where people could gather to see him when he arrived. And, indeed, he took time to come around and speak to a lot of people, including me. So sometimes it's very helpful to let the "commoners" know if they're welcome and where they can go.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for sharing your experiences Isabella.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences Isabella.
No problem. Just wanted to underline the importance of organization and communication with such events, as I think it makes it easier for everyone involved.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

By the sounds of it, it seems like it will be similar to what happens at Christmas. I don't know if the paddock is open for Christmas but there are normally a lot of people watching from the side of path from the main house to the church.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Let me predict, Camilla will wear the mint green outfit worn at Ascot.

The women will probably all match except the Queen who will wear pink.
You will probably be correct Queen Camilla.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
It's not uncommon at royal events - or other VIP events - to make it known if the event will be publicly accessible in any way. It's being helpful more than anything, I think. If there are people in the area who are hoping to catch a glimpse of the family (and the Palace has referred to these people as "well-wishers, which is hardly derogatory), they now know where they can go, and they don't have to worry about turning up and and being disappointed because they can't get anywhere nearby.

I remember when I was at university and the Queen paid a visit to the city where I was studying, and I really wanted to be able to go see her, but none of her engagements seemed to be taking place anywhere where I might be able to see her. Therefore, I didn't bother to go (and later found out that, indeed, almost all the events had been invitation-only). However, on another occasion when I was at my university, Prince Charles was paying a visit to the university itself. His meetings there were private, but the university let it be known where people could gather to see him when he arrived. And, indeed, he took time to come around and speak to a lot of people, including me. So sometimes it's very helpful to let the "commoners" know if they're welcome and where they can go.
Thank you for your info but I still don't like the situation... To me it looks like "you can stay confined there"...
Old 06-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 18m18 minutes ago
Mario Testino will take Princess Charlotte's official christening photos, Kensington Palace says.

Simon Perry ‏@SPerryPeoplemag 26m26 minutes ago
Mario Testino will take official portraits following Princess Charlotte's baptism. He says he is "overwhelmed and honoured" to be chosen

I had a feeling that he would take the official pictures. I'm really looking forward to this event and pictures.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS