The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
As usual, I agree with you. It is hard to believe that they would have driven all the way to St. Mary Magdalene with a baby and a toddler if they were actually staying in London. It's lovely that Diana was baptized there.

I don't know where either of my parents were baptized because my parents moved from their home town before I was born. Since William has regularly visited Sandringham throughout his life (and has probably been to that church), I can believe that Diana, or a member of her family, told William that Diana was baptized there. I am also willing to bet that William has been to St. Mary Magdalene with his father and other members of the royal family.

Regarding the godparents, I expect that, like with George, they will choose people among their own age group. I would love to see Charles will be asked this time. It would be nice if Harry and Pippa were asked to be godparents.
William has certainly been to St. Mary Magdalene with his family, including his mother - that's where the family attend Christmas services every year.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Courtier

Since the Christening is happening in the middle of Wimbledon I can see Pippa skipping too. Kidding!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks Isabelle and Skippyboo. I suspected that was the case but wasn't sure. Although I think it is charming that Diana was baptized in the church, other people William loves are associated with the church too.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The 5th is the Sunday between the two weeks of Wimbledon so there aren't any matches that day. The men's final is July 12 so tennis loving Middletons are free for the Christening.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Courtier

It would be funny if they actually planned around Wimbledon matches. Part of me thinks it's not so farfetched.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

why was eugenie baptized there
Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post

She was very old to be baptized ... Barely fit the christening gown. And if I recall it had to so with Andrew being at sea. She is also the only one during a regular church service... I believe around Christmas time.

I'm sure someone can fill in more particulars.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
She was baptized there while the royal family were at Sandringham during the Christmas holidays. Eugenie was the first royal to have a public Christening.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The 5th is the Sunday between the two weeks of Wimbledon so there aren't any matches that day. The men's final is July 12 so tennis loving Middletons are free for the Christening.

There are no scheduled matches that day but if the first week is very wet then they use that Sunday as the 'catch-up day'.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

But those possible catch up matches are not ones that the family would attend unlike the men's final where they have gone to regularly for the past couple of years. The tournament was pushed back a week from when it's started last year.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
She was very old to be baptized ... Barely fit the christening gown. And if I recall it had to so with Andrew being at sea. She is also the only one during a regular church service... I believe around Christmas time.

I'm sure someone can fill in more particulars.

Eugenie was nine months at her christening but not as old as Zara's daughter Mia who was nearly a year old at hers.

Yes, I do remember that they had to leave the christening gown unbuttoned at the back because Eugenie had grown too big for it.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:16 AM
Serene Highness

Just saw in the Sandringham site that the house will be closed to tourists on Sunday July 5...so maybe HM is hosting the christening after all

https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/...g-sandringham/
Old 06-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Just saw in the Sandringham site that the house will be closed to tourists on Sunday July 5...so maybe HM is hosting the christening after all

https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/...g-sandringham/
Nice detective work. If the Cambridges had planned to host at Anmer Hall, then they probably would have had the Christening at Anmer Church - next door to their house. Sandringham makes more sense with the church they've chosen.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

It would be good if some of the guests and family walked to church from the main house. They could push the children down in prams if it was a nice day.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts discussing potential godparents have been moved or copied and edited to the Baby Cambridge 2: Guess the Sex of the Baby and Potential Godparents thread.

Please use that thread for all godparent speculation.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
The Royal Mint is to issue a range of commemorative coins to mark the christening of Princess Charlotte on July 5.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
The Queen, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Chancellor George Osborne will choose the design of the silver coins.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Charlotte's christening marked with new Royal Mint coins - BBC News
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Nice detective work. If the Cambridges had planned to host at Anmer Hall, then they probably would have had the Christening at Anmer Church - next door to their house. Sandringham makes more sense with the church they've chosen.
Or they may not want members of the public around the area in general for security reasons. With regards to Eugenie's Christening I remember reading years ago that Andrew was told by the people who looked after the old royal christening robe that it was far too small and fragile for his daughter to wear but Andrew being Andrew wouldn't hear of her wearing anything other than the ROYAL christening robe. Apparently when it was returned the fears of the retainers were realized as it was noted that some damage had indeed been done by squeezing Eugenie into it and they were not best pleased to say the least.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RE_DailyMail: KP: While the service itself will be private, William and Kate 'will be pleased to welcome well-wishers into the paddock outside the church'

@RE_DailyMail: KP: The Duke and Duchess are hugely grateful for the warm wishes they have received since Princess Charlotte's birth.....

@RE_DailyMail: KP: many of them from local people in Norfolk - and are delighted the paddock can be opened on the day of the christening.

@RE_DailyMail: KP say that well-wishers will be able to view the royal party arriving for christening of #PrincessCharlotte at Sandringham this weekend.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Nobility

Princess Charlotte's christening: new details revealed - hellomagazine.com

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be pleased to welcome well-wishers into the paddock outside the church. The Duke and Duchess are hugely grateful for the warm wishes they have received since Princess Charlotte's birth – many of them from local people in Norfolk – and are delighted the paddock can be opened on the day of the christening."