The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess its difficult to decide which way to go when you're a member of Team Cambridge. We got lovely family snaps from Mr Middleton and he was crucified by the press and this very forum. It was too 'folksy' for such historic pics. Won't do that again.

Then the couple hire Jason Bell a world famous portrait photographer and The Daily Mail complains he isn't a 'society' photographer. Scratch Mr Bell off the list.

Kate took lovely photographs but then the press goes on for days about the Cambridges 'breaking with tradition'

I guess the way W&K look at it, if they're going to be slammed no matter what at least go with Testino and let him take the flack. He was afterall Diana's favourite photographer.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Gentry

Both children look like they take after their mother's side of the family. Little George has his maternal grandfather's face shape and it looks like many of his facial features also resemble Michael Middleton. The eyes come from that side of the family too, though the hair may be from his father. The baby looks very much like her mother.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Aristocracy

That's so nice they make all that public With all the modern day, a little history is kind of quaint. What are we supposed to say? I suppose saying nothing suits the occasion in the news better. Perhaps it instils a reminder that some traditions are still firmly rooted in the past and present and morals and values really don't change that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
Both children look like they take after their mother's side of the family. Little George has his maternal grandfather's face shape and it looks like many of his facial features also resemble Michael Middleton. The eyes come from that side of the family too, though the hair may be from his father. The baby looks very much like her mother.
I have no idea what most of those people look like. He's a child, that in just a few years will have more responsibility than most. Personally, I couldn't fathom being that much of a philanthropist. Then being all set up to receive millions of dollars in inheritance, how is one supposed to ever really do for themselves if they have to constantly do for others and be faced with dealing with all the family money? What a nightmare. They all have their riches and notoriety, but, I wouldn't sacrifice my anonymity and independence to walk in their shoes, not for a second. Quite a challenge they all face, being who they are doing what they do, admirable really, but they are suited for it. The children look very much like their father and that side of the family which I already mentioned.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Just my opinion .... another one I think the negative comments about Michael Middleton's photo had a lot to do with the press being put out that THEY were not invited to take the picture and HE was not a professional. Catherine's photographs were more readily accepted because she is the mother and it is known that she is interested in photography. And people, by that time, just wanted to see what Charlotte looked like, and they were delightful pictures. As to Jason Bell not being the "proper photographer", well what's new among the chattering classes? I was delighted to see these pictures they just were not exactly as I had imagined they would be. I love the picture at George's christening with HM, HRHs, but then Charlotte is not an heir so it's to be expected that she wouldn't have a shot like that. Maybe a private one
Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've always knew William and Catherine would make beautiful children together and these pictures proves just that. Mario's photography may not be for everyone, but I'm glad they chose him to take these pictures.

I do wish we had pictures of George and Charlotte with their godparents, since we got pictures of William and Harry with their godparents and Charles with his.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I guess its difficult to decide which way to go when you're a member of Team Cambridge. We got lovely family snaps from Mr Middleton and he was crucified by the press and this very forum. It was too 'folksy' for such historic pics. Won't do that again.

Then the couple hire Jason Bell a world famous portrait photographer and The Daily Mail complains he isn't a 'society' photographer. Scratch Mr Bell off the list.

Kate took lovely photographs but then the press goes on for days about the Cambridges 'breaking with tradition'

I guess the way W&K look at it, if they're going to be slammed no matter what at least go with Testino and let him take the flack. He was afterall Diana's favourite photographer.
I have to agree Rudolph. There unfortunately is criticism from the press whenever their photos of the children are shared.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

This is my take on the photos: I got very eager the moment they announced it was Mario Testino: I was expecting gorgeous photos like the shootings of Diana or the engagement pics of W&K. When I saw the 4 of them released I thought uhm... meh...

My favourite is, ironically the photo of William and George. Spontanoeus and very beautiful.I liked the general idea of father and son vs mom and daughter, but the focus should have been on Charlotte. George had already the spotlight at the christening and I think that photo is more suitable for his second birthday than his sis'd baptism...

The group photo was fine and it seemed quite relaxed. (Carole's hair looked not flattering there anyway),

The family pic would have been cut if Kate didn't look so horribly photoshopped and her head looked strange...

Photo of Kate and Charlotte: the light spoilt a little bit the setting... it is the photo I like less...

To be honest, Kate managed to do a much better work when she took the pictures of her children together, which is not easy... I was expecting the same from Testino... He (almost) makes me regret Jason Bell.... And I thought I would never say this!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
What great pictures! I love the fact that we have some shots from the drawing room, and some from the garden. Charlotte is precious, and as someone pointed out, she resembles Catherine. The photo of William and George laughing doesn't need words. All we need to know is already spoken, if you will.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
The one of William and George laughing is w/o ? my favorite one.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

So much php to shopping it looks creepy to me. Especially kate in the four of them picture.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

These photos are so "photoshopped" that it is quite sad really. Why can't they just leave photos as they are? They family are a pretty bunch of people, just leave their faces alone!

The one of George and William is adorable and George looks super cute. The one of Kate and Charlotte, however, is awful. The angle is terrible and the lighting is shocking. They must surely have had another one of Charlotte and Kate they could have used.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM

I just loved Kate's photos because you could actually see Prince George's and Princess Charlotte's faces so well. All the other photos of Charlotte we've seen so far are with her head tilted. I did notice in Testino's outdoor photo of the four that Charlotte's eyes look blue like William's as opposed to them looking brown in the photo with Kate holding her alone.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

The thing that I noticed that was so off putting to me ... if you look carefully of the family portrait, Pippa's face has been so photo shopped that it has changed the shape of her face. There is no excuse for that. If a fashion photographer wants to do that to "pretty up" the nice model that is one thing but Pippa is an attractive young woman and there is nothing wrong with her face. I actually think it is borders on the unethical to change family photographs unless it has been requested by those who want to appear "forever young". I've said enough so I will say no more. :)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Courtier

Horrible forced smiles!

Testino’s portrait of William and Kate is a sickly sweet lie | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | The Guardian

The Master of Them All!
CECIL BEATON

THE ROYALS
Stock photo and image search by V&A Images
Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

well if Cambridges did approve those photos then they are ok with such editing.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellin View Post
well if Cambridges did approve those photos then they are ok with such editing.
they had to approve something
Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
WOW! I never knew that Her Majesty had so much photos of her family and baby children. You know it's more than Cambridges, I think. Only 4 photos from christening it's so sad.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Dash@DashRoyal
Some of the UK front pages featuring Princess Charlotte's christening photos. Take your pick.

https://twitter.com/DashRoyal/status/619259800308678656

I think the Daily Telegraph is my fav but I like em all.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Beaton was amazing, but he also retouched a lot to the annoyance of the Queen Mother.
Dorothy Wilding's photos were also gorgeous. Except the ones of a young Philip and Elizabeth, who are suddenly super blond

National Portrait Gallery - Large Image - NPG x37999; Queen Elizabeth II; Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Cecil' Beaton's images will always be a favourite of mine. It's also great that the Queen managed to have him photograph all 4 of her children considering the age gaps.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are times that I wish the Cambridge's took more natural pictures. Catherine did an amazing job on photographing George & Charlotte. I think the christening photos are great, but hopefully in the future we'll get more natural pictures of the family at home. Charles & Diana did a good job on having their family photographed at home, playing on the piano and with William and Harry playing with each other.

More laid back family pictures and less staged pictures are what people are looking for.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS