The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the photos are lovely, Charlotte is a beautiful child! I would have liked to see a group shot with the godparents too.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

What a beautiful family. Lovely photos one and all. Can't pick my favourite just yet.

MARIO TESTINO has offered a rare insight into the life of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with the release of his official photographs of Princess Charlotte's christening - not only with his intimate pictures, but with a statement commenting on the "incredible" experience.

More: Mario Testino Princess Charlotte Royal Christening Photos Pictures (Vogue.co.uk)

Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Re: Testino - keep in mind that the family is selecting from multiple Testino shots for their own reasons. So these 4 may not have been his favs - but they do have great attributes.
Re: the group shot - I really like it but I find the amount of the room shown odd. If you go to the Clarence house photos - you can see that the DM has cropped the photo. The original has a LOT of art on those cream walls - and it competes with the family. The portraits on the back wall intrude on the group; the portrait at right is overwhelming the image of the DOE. But it is precious that the angels hover above Carole, IMHO.
The Kate/Charlotte shot has an unfortunate shadow but Charlotte is awake and aware and Mom is absolutely besotted.
The family group in front of that sunny lawn shows that Michael Middleton didn't do such a bad job on George's baby photo! But in this photo, Charlotte's eyes are open, Mom's eyes are sparkling which made it a top choice?
And the Dad and George photo is just a no brainer.
BTW - there is better detail visible on the site: Princess Charlotte's christening
Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

this one of Kate and Charlotte seemed a little too "hollywood" i dunno maybe just the filters used
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6451357982.jpg

but at least Charlotte is out of the stroller lol

I prefer the group shot. more traditional for royal baptisms
George is a mini-grandpa Michael
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6451023691.jpg
Old 07-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Favourite of the Charlotte christening pictures is the one of George and William it is so natural and charming. There is something off about the focus of the Kate and Charlotte one. The family group picture with Middletons and royals is heavily photoshopped. I wish we had a godparent picture but one was never released from George's christening so i didnt think they would release one - i guess that will remain private.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Favourite of the Charlotte christening pictures is the one of George and William it is so natural and charming. There is something off about the focus of the Kate and Charlotte one. The family group picture with Middletons and royals is heavily photoshopped. I wish we had a godparent picture but one was never released from George's christening so i didnt think they would release one - i guess that will remain private.
I think the Kate/Charlotte one might have been a non-staged one choosen because CHarlotte is looking at the camera. So the lighting etc is not as "perfect" as others. But I can see why they made the choice.

I think both times that pictures with the godparents were taken but will remain private since the godparents are private citizens.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I prefer Kate's style of photography over Testino's. Found him overrated for ages but the lightning in these are not great.

Charlotte is a pretty baby though.

I agree, I think Kate's photography was much more pleasing. I don't know what kind of pictures MT's specializes in, it may be that his more high fashion subjects lend themselves more to his style???
Old 07-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Nobility

Love them all
Pippa looks matronly in that dress
It does nothing for her....
PG and PW gorgeous in the black and white
Handsome family
Old 07-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You must watch this video clip of Prince George from the christening

Prinz George: Fang mich, Papa! | Video auf BUNTE.de
It's very cute and my son was laughing at the German cat food commercial. He heard the word for "delicious" and wondered what it was about.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I see it as very 50's...(Pippa's dress) not matronly....the Queen/Camilla isn't wearing anything like that.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Aristocracy

The one of the entire family looks majorly photoshopped - especially the complexions. Airbrushing to the max. Everyone looks great, just not natural - especially those in the second row.

The rest look ok.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Nobility

I do love the photo of Catherine and Charlotte but it does remind me a little bit of when my husband takes a photo of me - he is quite a bit taller than me, so it does seem to distort things rather - I'm probably completely wrong and just enjoying the new photos :)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd take Catherine's own pictures over Testino's any day. But then again, he's never been a favourite of mine. He always over-photoshops his pictures, whether they feature royals or not, and just don't see his appeal, hands down.

That said, aside from the heavy editing, I like the actual shots a lot – especially the group photo. I don't know why I didn't noticed on the day, but the Queen really looked riveting. I love her outfit. The children are so darling, they're both a good mixture of their mum and dad, I think. It's a shame there are no proper close-ups of Charlotte but there weren't any of George, so I didn't expect that. The one of William and George is beautiful and very natural. The one of Catherine and Charlotte was hit hardest by the editing but I understand why they chose that picture because the little munchkin looks straight into the camera which can be rare with babies The picture of all four together is beautiful as well, definitely one for the photo albums. Again, it's a shame that Testino messed them up with his photoshop.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I do think we're a fussy lot. The pictures have so many lovely aspects to them - in particular the close bond evident between the parents and their children, the delightfully bright eyed shot of Charlotte and the shots of gorgeous George. Yes there's some photoshopping in the group shot, but it's forgivable given the nature of this photo and its inevitable reproduction in years to come.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The kids are very cute, I love the b/w shot of George & Wills. George looks like Kate here. I am surprised about the bad light of the Charlotte & Kate shot.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

These are some really lovely photos. I can't even pick a favorite because I like them all. While I'm not a huge fan of Testino, I thought he did a great job. Everyone looks so happy and relaxed.

I think these are way better than George's christening photos. When it comes to photoshop, I thought those were overly done and a little unnatural. The Testino photos actually look more natural to me.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Everyone looks so lovely and the pictures, and Charlotte is an absolutely gorgeous baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I love seeing the pictures. The children are adorable and I think Charlotte looks very much like George with darker hair.

That being said ... I don't know if it is Testino's "style" or what, but I don't much care for his photography. I actually think the photographer for George's christening did a better job. There is something about the lighting that I do not like. I felt the same way about W&K's engagement picture (except the one by the window). In that one it looked liked W's head had been photo-shopped onto a different picture as though MT was trying to combine two different pictures.

I hope there are more pictures coming with a picture of Charlotte "close up and upright". As I said I'm glad to se the pictures, I just don't think Testino is "all that".

I feel the same way. I think Testino is good for fashion shoots (I loved the Vanity Fair shoot he did with Diana in the '90s), but I don't think he's a good choice for family pictures. To me, his family photos (such as these from the christening or the engagement pictures) have a style that makes them look "stuck" somewhere between being candid and looking like they're meant for a fashion spread in a magazine. I find the result a little confusing, because there's something a bit jarring about the style to me. Also, I think the photoshopping is poorly done. The group shot looks a bit like one of those advertisements for a TV show or movie where they've blatantly just selected the "best" pictures of everybody, with little regard as to how the people look in relation to one another or their setting. Similarly, the picture of Kate and Charlotte looked a little odd to me - as if Charlotte's head or face isn't quite at the right angle. However, I do love the shot of George and William.

Despite the fact that I've just been very picky, I do very much enjoy seeing the pictures. It's so nice to finally have a good look at gorgeous Charlotte! They're a beautiful family.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Great photos and nice to seen formal and informal shots. The one of Catherine and Charlotte reminds me of the photo Testing did for Prince Harry's 18th (?) birthday. Charlotte looks just like the Queen to me!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I like the family photo, the Catherine and Charlotte shot is awful! The light is terrible and the amount of photoshopping is unnecessary to be honest.

Catherine took better pictures if I'm honest.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I think right now, for me Charlotte looks like George did...but she has a little less of William thru the eye sockets, nose and cheekbones. I look at her and don't quite see Kate either...so perhaps a blend of both.

LaRae