The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Really! If you don't have to cook clean wash iron take the rubbish out feed the dog etc etc plus the nanny looks after the 2 year old all you have to do feed,change nappies and cuddle the baby .. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful. Good for her and I really mean that, but let's be real it's nothing like the average mum of 2 deals with.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I never had Maturity leave from my employer [government] and was required to deplete sick and vacation time if I wanted to return to that job. But, everyone, myself included had at least a month to 6 weeks of mother-in-law or own mother staying to help. This was just a common practice. It was definitely the days that husband never contributed as the lucky mothers of today. My husband never changed a diaper or bathed or fed any of my girls in his life. He would certainly play gams with them once they got older or read to them. I personally feel the average woman with the helpful husbands of this generation is wonderful and something that my time did not have. The men didn't feel it was their responsibility. That was "woman's work"!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Fact is Though George has two grandmothers on earth Camilla and Carole, one bio and one step. To a child this is in consequential.for them to force the child to make a distinction... One is grandma and all that signifies to people and the other is simply called by her first name like you would a person you barely know sends mixed messages to the kid and says the wrong message To the public

All children (that I know )have different names for their grandparent to tell them apart. I'm nanny to all my grandchildren the other side to my daughters children is Nonna my sons children call their other grandmother grandma my other sons daughter calls her other grandmother Nan.
Sometimes it's a first in call who gets to be called what but it sorts out in the end and I'm sure they are all happy with whatever their called

Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

Did anyone actually hear William say the Granny's house line?

I heard the they're coming line after George comes to a halt and looks back to the rest of the family says something that sounded like wait.

The videos I watched, I couldn't hear any of the conversations by the church door.

It's a known fact that they Queen's grandkids call her Granny but they used a different name for the Queen Mum. I can't remember it

Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Anyone who thinks taking care of a baby, with, or without a nanny is easy, has more than likely never done it, or had a very easy baby from the start. Yes, Catherine may not take out the trash, or do laundry, but she's still caring for Charlotte, and maybe even George. We don't know if Charlotte is a fussy baby, who only wants her Mama to hold her, especially when upset, or not feeling good. I know we were told through the press that according to Charles she sleeps through the night, but that may not be the case all the time. No matter how much help she may have, she's still the mother, and a lot of the bonding takes place at this stage, so I doubt she relegates a lot of the things to the nanny. When my mother first had my sister, she didn't do anything during the day, but care for her. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. waited until my stepdad got home. She never had a nanny, but she still only tended to the baby when alone.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Amaryllus...I found an old article!

While at the Sandringham Flower Show, Prince Charles reportedly revealed that he wants his new grandson—or "Prince Georgie," as he'll call him—to call him "grandpa" (not "granddad," because he doesn't like that), while Camilla Duchess of Cornwall said baby G will call her "Gaga," a name her current grandchildren use to address her.
"I don't know if it's because they think I am," she joked, "but it is still very sweet."

Gaga? Grandpa? What Prince George Will Call Charles and Camilla! | E! Online
Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the bottom line is a child shoukd not be calling an older woman by her name, that just seems very disrespectful. I know in some cases children use the title aunt or uncle for a close non related friend of their parents.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Our kids always called older adults Mr/Mrs surname. Unless invited by that person to use their first name.

It's that simple.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

While at the Sandringham Flower Show, Prince Charles reportedly revealed that he wants his new grandson—or "Prince Georgie," as he'll call him—to call him "grandpa" (not "granddad," because he doesn't like that), while Camilla Duchess of Cornwall said baby G will call her "Gaga," a name her current grandchildren use to address her.
"I don't know if it's because they think I am," she joked, "but it is still very sweet."

Gaga? Grandpa? What Prince George Will Call Charles and Camilla! | E! Online
That's what I would have guessed as well, that any of Charles' grandchildren are likely to call Camilla the same thing her own grandchildren call her. That is, in my experience, generally how it seems to work in a lot of blended families.

Now, my older nephew & younger niece call my mom and dad "Grandma NAME" & "Grandpa NAME" because that's what their older half-sister calls my parents. And the reason the older one calls them that is because she already had a "Grandma" & "Grandpa" when her mom married my brother so she just added on each person's first name to distinguish between grandparents. It's still a sign of respect because none of them are referred to by their first name alone.

It also doesn't surprise me that George (and probably the rest of the Queen's great-grandchildren) call her "Granny". That's what all the grandkids call her and there's not really a need, I don't think, to differentiate between her being their great-grandmother versus their grandmother. It's still a nickname that denotes both respect and affection.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Serene Highness

Granny,Gaga, Granmama... Same diff-As long as it is done with affection and respect it is all good.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Nobility

This discussion makes me wonder what Camilla's grandchildren call Prince Charles?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm maybe grandpa as well. If that's what Charles likes to be called...so it seems anyway.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

While at the Sandringham Flower Show, Prince Charles reportedly revealed that he wants his new grandson—or "Prince Georgie," as he'll call him—to call him "grandpa" (not "granddad," because he doesn't like that),....
I believe 'Granddad' is what the grandkids call Philip - so that may be the men's way of differentiating.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

When will they be releasing the official photos?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I believe 'Granddad' is what the grandkids call Philip - so that may be the men's way of differentiating.
IIRC, in The Diamond Queen, Harry referred to Philip as "grandpa".

Old 07-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
IIRC, in The Diamond Queen, Harry referred to Philip as "grandpa".
Yep. Eugenie also refers to him as "grandpa" in Our Queen.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Respectful children call adults what the adult wishes to be called. I always had a houseful of other people's kids when our son was small (oh, what happy days!). It was always my preference to be called by my first name. I would have thought them disrespectful to go against my wishes and call me Mrs. 'ladongas'.

We had a very close relationship, I fed them, drove them around, and occasionally (ugh!) had to change their diapers. I was not an employee of their parents, I was their much older friend. In turn, my son called their parents whatever the parents wished. Very few insisted on Mrs. or Mr. Whomever.

And all these years later, whether my son is at home or far away, they still come to visit and chat (and sometimes eat grilled cheese sandwiches or mac and cheese) and catch up. They called me Meg then and they call me Meg now. And if I ever have grandchildren, they can call me what they please unless it's offensive to me.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Kate does seem to have a wonderfully calm, steady personality. I always thought she seemed to be that way, but the more we see of her in different situations, the more I realize how true it is and how significant it is. For some people, I think it's part of what makes people think Kate's boring, but I think it's part of what makes her a perfect partner for William, both on a personal level and on a public level. She never loses her cool and, particularly when the children are involved, she seems to be so calmly in control of things (and when you've got a toddler as rambunctious as George, that can't be easy!)

And, credit to William too (lest it sound too much like he needs babysitting himself ), he's always been very protective of Kate, and I think he's really helped to ease her into the royal family and the spotlight, particularly during their engagement and early in their marriage, when she did seem a bit nervous and shy at times. The two of them make a very good pair, and it's so lovely to see them out as a family. They all looked so picture-perfect as a family, which can't be easy with so much going on (babies, crowds, etc.)!

Too true.
Very nicely summarized!!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think the bottom line is a child shoukd not be calling an older woman by her name, that just seems very disrespectful. I know in some cases children use the title aunt or uncle for a close non related friend of their parents.
It might be very different in the UK, but here in Sweden eveyone is their first name. Old people, teachers etc. So I don't see anything disrespectful.

And the granny thing, here we have two different names depending on if it's a maternal or paternal grandparent. Mormor (is mothers mother) and farmor (is fathers mother). So my mormor has always been momo :P
Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

OT, but amusing to me: My housekeeper's granddaughter came home from kindergarten calling her teacher by her last name- "Johnson gave us homework today", "Johnson brought a puppet show to class." Don't know if that got sorted out eventually, but I assume so.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Respectful children call adults what the adult wishes to be called. I always had a houseful of other people's kids when our son was small (oh, what happy days!). It was always my preference to be called by my first name. I would have thought them disrespectful to go against my wishes and call me Mrs. 'ladongas'.

We had a very close relationship, I fed them, drove them around, and occasionally (ugh!) had to change their diapers. I was not an employee of their parents, I was their much older friend. In turn, my son called their parents whatever the parents wished. Very few insisted on Mrs. or Mr. Whomever.

And all these years later, whether my son is at home or far away, they still come to visit and chat (and sometimes eat grilled cheese sandwiches or mac and cheese) and catch up. They called me Meg then and they call me Meg now. And if I ever have grandchildren, they can call me what they please unless it's offensive to me.
Yes, that's the way I was raised - call an adult what they want you to call them. I mean, my default was always Mr./Mrs./Ms. [surname], but a number of adults I knew preferred to be called by their first name. For example, my father's two sisters never liked to be called "Aunt [first name]," they preferred to be called by their first names only. I also had a nanny who preferred to be called by her first name (even though she was old enough to be my grandmother).

I've seen adults actually be quite uncomfortable if I'm too formal with them. Being from the South, I was raised to say "Yes ma'am/no ma'am" and "Yes sir/no sir" to my elders. I just do it reflexively. However, on more than one occasion when I was in college, I would be meeting my friends' parents (none whom were Southern), I would say "'yes ma'am" and the parent would sort of flinch and be like "oh, please, you don't have to call me that!" Needless to say, I would stop. I certainly don't want to make someone uncomfortable!