The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Is it a normal thing for nannies to be on hand for Royal christening?
Albert and Charlene has two nannies at their twins christening.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Lionesses may have failed narrowly to make the Women’s World Cup final, but there is one Englishwoman who puts it in the back of the net every time. Duchess of Cambridge to the Palace, Princess Kate to the rest of us, she somehow manages to avoid scoring own goals even when there is a huge, open net hungrily waiting for a nude court shoe to hove into view. I mean, a very public event involving two small children still in nappies, an as-yet-unbesmirched cream designer outfit, and the world’s scariest in-laws: what could possibly go wrong?

If it was me, or any other woman I know, pretty much everything, actually. Lacking Kate’s height, our head would just about have come up to the handle of the Millson, a Daimler among perambulators. Instead of looking willowy and serene, we would have resembled the dwarf in Game of Thrones heaving a recalcitrant barge up the church path.

Our mutinous two-year-old, ready for his afternoon nap, would be sitting on the pram, legs dangling over the side, aiming sullen kicks at the “pregnancy bump” we have somehow failed to lose and which our hastily purchased new dress is doing nothing to hide.[/QU

The affair bore the hallmark of her mother’s eye for detail, astonishing self-discipline and sense of fun. Pushing the Millson to the church was a lovely idea, as well as a sign of how far the Royal family has come since infants Andrew and Edward cut their teeth in the very same vintage vehicle.

Yes, it certainly helped to have a uniformed Norland nanny on hand to stop Prince George running amok in the graveyard, but few will begrudge Kate the help. Plus the Duchess cunningly avoided putting little Charlotte over her shoulder, thereby avoiding the epaulette of sick that bedecks the uniform of every novice mum.

After this heavenly christening, the Church of England should brace itself for a baptism bonanza.
More: Hats off to the Duchess of Cambridge for the christening from heaven - Telegraph

Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
When does the nanny usually leave, like do the Duchess of Brabant or the other teen royals still use one? Does she just gradually morph into an unofficial chaperone/advisor? I know QEII's stayed till the end of her life.

I don't know what their official roles was in between handling different royal baby batches but Nenne Björnberg who was the nanny for both the future Carl XIV Gustav and his sisters later had the same position with Victoria, CP and Madeleine. She also took on the position of Head housekeeper at the royal palaces in Stockholm, Rosersberg and Tullgarn (1974-?). Today we can see that Elisabeth Zimmerman who cared for V, CP, M after Nenne (1979-1991) is one of the nannies taking care of Estelle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
From all staff at any Household, the nanny or the governess comes the most close in the core private lifesphere of the family. That means they need 100% trust in a person. Often a friendship develops but of course there remains an employer-employee relationship. Nannies and governesses are even included when there are formal celebrations, exactly like Fraülein Maria in the Sound of Music, when Freiin Elsa von Schräder came to the house to see Captain Von Trapp. See picture and picture (showing Amalia's nannies Miss Görtz resp. Miss Van den Bent). I do not know if all royal families make use of a nanny, sometimes they seem invisible.
The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorite movies...just watching the DVD makes me want to dance and sing. The wedding scene always takes my breath away.

ITA nannies are an integral-perhaps even the most important-member of any Royal household.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Maternity leave is kind of like sick leave.. The baby is not sleeping through the night, you are nursing every few hours. Even with someone cooking and cleaning for you and a nanny on call you are still exhausted. All this tends to ease up, earlier for some, later for others
At the christening, one child cried on the way in, the other on the way out. And that's just what we witnessed. I doubt kate is ever left alone with both children at this point, still it is not a vacation playing patty cake
Old 07-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Maternity leave is kind of like sick leave.. The baby is not sleeping through the night, you are nursing every few hours. Even with someone cooking and cleaning for you and a nanny on call you are still exhausted. All this tends to ease up, earlier for some, later for others
At the christening, one child cried on the way in, the other on the way out. And that's just what we witnessed. I doubt kate is ever left alone with both children at this point, still it is not a vacation playing patty cake

Really! If you don't have to cook clean wash iron take the rubbish out feed the dog etc etc plus the nanny looks after the 2 year old all you have to do feed,change nappies and cuddle the baby .. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful. Good for her and I really mean that, but let's be real it's nothing like the average mum of 2 deals with.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rticle-3153207

Apparently George called the Queen Granny at the christening. It also claims he calls Carole Grandma but how they know this I have no idea! No word on what he calls Camilla.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Serene Highness

The Kate is just a another mom on maternity leave having the same struggles as mom of every mom of a toddler and new born is more than a bit ridiculous. You know what, Kate may be hands on and do much of the work and end up exhausted at the end of the day we don't know she does not and kudos' to her if she does but the difference is she makes a choice and can stop Anytime she wants.

I guess Camilla will be granny also, what else can he call her? Step granny ? Cam?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What would be kind of cute is Gramilla.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

It would not surprise me at all if they just refer to Camilla as Camilla. Considering the age they boys were when their father remarried and the background of baggage that comes with her.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What would be kind of cute is Gramilla.

Mmm or maybe not !! Gorilla !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

I can't see George just calling her Camilla.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know why not...or perhaps a diminutive of Camilla.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Serene Highness

Because it is highly disrespectfull?he is a small child and she is not only his step grandmother but an elderly woman and least of all a Royal highness.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

They call the Queen granny. I think the "royal highness" isn't quite so high in the instep, she seems very down to earth about such things.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

I get that Yes but for a small child to an elderly lady he is related to and he will see fairly often her first name is not appropriate IMO. Would you let your small child call a relative by her given name with no other title?

Granny is sweet and totally fine because she is his granny.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

That would depend on the person and how the family is....we never called older female family members by any title ...other than 'aunt' or granny etc. Otherwise we just used their name of the person.

In the deep south it's common to see the appellation of 'Miss' before the name of an older person but that's cultural to that region.

If they call the Queen granny....the family isn't standing on any sort of formal ceremony about it....being the situation and all it just wouldn't surprise me that they refer to Camilla by her name or a shortened version of it (Milla or something).

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Serene Highness

Fact is Though George has two grandmothers on earth Camilla and Carole, one bio and one step. To a child this is in consequential.for them to force the child to make a distinction... One is grandma and all that signifies to people and the other is simply called by her first name like you would a person you barely know sends mixed messages to the kid and says the wrong message To the public
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually fact is we don't know what he calls her because no one has said. It's got nothing to do with genetics (my maternal grandmother died when my mom was a teen so my step grandmother was all I knew...I called her granny Emma)....just saying it is possible due to the history of things they call her by name or a appellation of her name.

I mean the family has been careful about things with Camilla ...she doesn't even use the title PoW. That's all for the public perception of things. Possible it's carried over into other areas.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

Fact is this has nothing to with Charlotte or her christening so let's agree to disagree and I bet we find out eventually :)