The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
According to the FE section on the British monarchy website no royals have any engagements on that day although that doesn't mean much as the FE often misses many events in advance.
I wish that this site would be updated on a regular basis so we could see their future engagements. Is there a possible security reason why this is not done?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
George VI was christened there

Princess Eugenie was christened at Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham.

Most touching the Lady Diana Spencer was also christened there. A great way to honour Charlotte's grandmother
I agree that this is a lovely nod to her late grandmother and great-great-grandfather.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I wish that this site would be updated on a regular basis so we could see their future engagements. Is there a possible security reason why this is not done?
Probably that + that sometimes they pull out or change dates etc and if we knew about the engagements in before it would be bad press
Old 06-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But they could also have hold the christening at Crathie Church and the reception then at Balmoral.
I'm sure they could have if they wished to but it doesn't make much sense to me. Anmer is home and that's where they're based right now with William working for EAAA. With two very small children, why travel all the way to Scotland for a christening? Its also been noted by some here that there are sentimental reasons for using the church that they are.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

The Archbishop of Canterbury probably can't do a CoE christening in a Scotland Presbyterian church. Plus Norfolk is easier to get to than Balmoral which is kind of out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I don't think the choice had anything to do with Diana. They picked the church because it's right next to their main residence, Anmer Hall. They were still living in London when George was Christened.

As for your guarantee that there will be earlier pictures. I'm taking a wait and see approach. Charlotte isn't going to be King like George so they can afford to be much more private with her. The informal pictures of George were a gift to the media. Then the media spent days bashing the pictures and Michael Middleton. The media may not receive a gift this time because of their shoddy behavior.
Well, the royal correspondents have said several times that pictures of Princess Charlotte will be released way before her Christening. It's just that they may choose a professional photographer this time around.

Also, yes, there is a Diana connection for their choice in church for Charlotte's christening. Also, they live on the estate.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Courtier

The royal correspondents say plenty of things. They are only right about 20% of the time. None of them guessed that the Christening would happen in early July, none of them predicted the right church. They were all wrong in picking George's godparents. Basically, their sources are cow manure.

I don't deny there is a Diana connection. I do deny that it had any relevance in their choice.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

I was hoping picture(s) would be released this weekend - I think it will be a weekend release for the newspapers and Sunday Magazine. But I also think more importantly they will time them so as not to compete with anything other senior royals are doing (i.e. HM at the WI celebration with Anne and Sophie)

I think it would be great if it was just a casual pic on the KP instagram account of George and Charlotte doing something adorable...like every other new parent.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Majesty

The first thing I thought when I read "St. Mary Magdalene, Sandringham" is that that is where the late Diana Princess of Wales was christened. What a lovely idea.

I wonder if the Spencers will be invited this time?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Courtier

I hope not. It would be a huge insult to invite the Spencers but not invite Anne, Andrew, Edward, Richard, Simon, Nicholas and Gary.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't deny there is a Diana connection. I do deny that it had any relevance in their choice.
I don't think it was the top priority in making the choice as I would imagine finding a date when everyone could be available (including the Queen before she leaves for Scotland), the proximity of travel and figuring in two small children were the top contenders. The fact that it does hold sentimental reasons is just the added blessing to make the occasion even more special I think.

Quote:
I hope not. It would be a huge insult to invite the Spencers but not invite Anne, Andrew, Edward, Richard, Simon, Nicholas and Gary.
Its been announced that they're not invited?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its been announced that they're not invited?
The poster only mentioned William's maternal aunts and uncle. My point is it would have to be all or nothing. Or it will be seen as a slight.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month in 'private' ceremony (and Beatrice and Peter Phillips are favourite to be godparents)
Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month | Daily Mail Online

Very nice and very rare pictures inside St Mary Magdalene. We never really see the inside of this church.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree; Diana was christened there because she grew up at Park House, also on the Sandringham estate.

It's more a coincidence than anything, imo.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

Here is a list of other royal baptisms:

George VI: St. Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham, February 10, 1896
Princess Mary: St. Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham, June 7, 1897
Prince John: St Mary Magdalene Church, August 3, 1905
Princess Eugenie: St. Mary Magdalene, Sandringham, December 23, 1990

Royal Musings: Royal Baptism: Prince George of Cambridge
Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month in 'private' ceremony (and Beatrice and Peter Phillips are favourite to be godparents)
Princess Charlotte to be christened at Sandringham next month | Daily Mail Online

Very nice and very rare pictures inside St Mary Magdalene. We never really see the inside of this church.
I like how the Fail puts private in quotation marks ignoring that all BRF Christenings are private.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Majesty

All Royal christenings are private. It's not like the event is ever open to the public.

For example, even though TSH Albert and Charlene baptized their twins in the most lavish of spectacles and invited the citizens of Monaco as much outside participation as possible(cheering along the route and outside the Cathedral) it was still an exclusive party for the Prince and Princess and their invited guests.

Princess Charlotte's christening will be on a much smaller scale, but it will be just as exclusive.

I think what the DM means by "private" is that there will be no TV cameras allowed inside the church.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they chose the church because of the Diana connections and being that one of her middle names is Diana.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Yay! I can hardly wait. I love that she is going to be baptized where Diana was.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Royal Highness

It was quite predictable that they will use a church near Sandringham as that is where William and Kate are based.

William will be starting his job soon and it would have been difficult to move the family to London for a few days for the christening and then return back to Anmer for William's job. The christening needed to work around William's schedule and the Queen's schedule without unduly tiring Philip.

The Queen will be in Holyrood on July 1st and will be in London on July 9th so Sandringham on July 5th is halfway between.

IMO, the date was chosen for these reasons rather than anything to do with Diana.