The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think the point is that William might have chosen Laura just because he likes her. If she had been a paternal cousin instead, he still might have chosen her. For the media to say he picked her to honor Diana is unfair. It diminishes his relationship with Laura. Not every decision revolves around his mother.
I do understand that. Sometimes it just seems to me like people (and the media) either want to overplay or underplay things as they relate to Diana, when my perception is frequently that it's not always so clean cut. I don't really see choosing Laura as a specific "tribute" to Diana, but I do think she was chosen to include that side of the family in things (just as Adam was chosen from the Middleton side, and for George they had Zara from the Windsor side). However, of course, the choice is related to Diana, in the very literal sense. The fact that one of Charlotte's middle names is Diana will, of course, make the choice of Laura seem of greater Diana-related significance of some people. But, yes, I think Laura was ultimately chosen because William likes her and thought her an appropriate choice. From my perspective, any connection to Diana is a normal family thing and not necessarily meant as a specific, overt tribute.

I don't know if that makes sense, I just sometimes feel like there's more middle ground with things that have to do with Diana.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The have absolutely no reason to carry the baby in their arms just because people have waited. The comfort and safety of the baby is the most important. They were very generous to walk to church with Prince George and to release photos. They could have made it totally private.
I think I agree. With a long gravelly pathway for Kate to navigate in high heels to the church it was more comfortable and practical, not to mention safer, to keep the baby in her pram. For both of them.

For people disappointed about not getting a better view of Charlotte, that's where Mario Testino comes in. He is one of the world's most celebrated photographers and will be able to show the baby to best advantage.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The media makes up non existent or space connections to Diana when they feel it's needed. I woukd hope they chose Laura for who she is and not because she was Williams dead mothers neice. Whatever Jane, Robert or Laura have contributed goes beyond Diana.
In one image of Charlotte she looked very much like baby Kate and in others she looks like George.
I'm glad to see diversity in these grand parents, sometimes it seems to much of William is represented and not enough Kate i.e. Kate's wedding party and Georges god parents.
I agree. I've had the same critique in the past. My favorite thing about today was that it was obvious Catherine got equal input.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

I think William has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't need to send coded messages when he wants to honor his mother's memory. He gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring and named his daughter Diana. I doubt hat he named George in honor of the Spencer family or that Catherine wears certain dresses to honor Diana.

I don't think this decision is about Diana per se, but it is possible that William and Catherine chose Laura in part because they want to forge (or maintain) a strong bond between their family and the Spencers. It has to be hard to maintain those family connections when they are extensively involved with the Windsors and the Middletons. There is only so much time and energy.

I'm not saying that William and Catherine aren't close to Laura, but they have a lot of close friends and relatives who would be very suitable. I just think that Laura's Spencer roots was probably a factor in their decision. It is a lovely gesture and will hopefully bring the families closer.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Majesty

It was a lovely day. I like how all the family and guests behaved... Charlotte is looking very precious! And George couldn't be more adorable!
I think that pram was too big and Kate almost slipped on the hill! But after all, I don't think there were a safer way to carry Charlotte to the chapel...

So now, when can we expect the official pics to be released? I have high hopes for Testino and hope he won't disappoint...
Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Anybody remember how long it was for the official photos to come out for George? It was a couple days wasn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Courtier

I'm still catching up on things from today, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the official photos, but I must say my favorite thing from today so far is the pictures/video of George checking in on Charlotte in her pram. He always seems to be such an energetic little guy, and it's nice to see that some of his energy is directed toward being an adorably attentive big brother.

Also, Charlotte appears to be absolutely gorgeous. Those eyelashes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I think William has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't need to send coded messages when he wants to honor his mother's memory. He gave Catherine Diana's engagement ring and named his daughter Diana. I doubt hat he named George in honor of the Spencer family or that Catherine wears certain dresses to honor Diana.

I don't think this decision is about Diana per se, but it is possible that William and Catherine chose Laura in part because they want to forge (or maintain) a strong bond between their family and the Spencers. It has to be hard to maintain those family connections when they are extensively involved with the Windsors and the Middletons. There is only so much time and energy.

I'm not saying that William and Catherine aren't close to Laura, but they have a lot of close friends and relatives who would be very suitable. However, I think that Laura's Spencer roots was probably a factor in their decision. It is a lovely gesture and will hopefully bring the families closer.
I agree, that's pretty much the same impression that I have.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Nobility

I just looked back on the thread for Prince George's christening and the photos were released at 10pm the day after his christening.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
A lovely photo of The Queen and Catherine.

Zimbio

George waving to the crowd
Yes both are really lovely shots and I also like this one too!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...6121878388.jpg
Old 07-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Thanks to those who answered! Well, not long to go since I am sure the embargo will be broken this time too!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Because, at the end of the day, it's still family. From what I understand, Diana there were quite a few people with whom Diana was not on speaking terms when she died, which wasn't uncommon, as I think most of her relationships had ups and downs. Just because things were that way between them when Diana died (which was obviously sudden an unexpected) doesn't mean that she thought that relationship would've permanently been that way, or that she would've thought ties should've been severed between their children. Besides, Laura and William aren't responsible for any family spats. I think it's nice that a Spencer cousin was included this time (and a Middleton cousin, too), and I think what mattered most was who William thought was right as a godparent in the present day, rather than focusing on who was on good terms with whom in 1997.
When my mother passed away, there was a sibling she was not speaking to, but had been close to as I was growing up. I was also very close to the sibling's children, my first cousins. When we became adults, we realized we had no idea what our parents were arguing about, decided it did not affect us and that we would put family first. We've maintained close relationships for a long time now. I think there comes a maturity when you realize that my parents' relationships with the family are not MY relationships with family - and I'm responsible for those on my own. Maybe that's what happened with William.

I applaud it, no matter the reason. It shows a mark of maturity.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It's this ridiculousness I have a problem with, like Kate gives a rats butt about what Diana wore 30yrs ago! Kate wears clothes, Diana wears clothes, people who wear clothes will undoubtedly wear similar styles. Just because Kate wears red, blude, yellow or polka dot, doesn't mean it's because of Diana! And George is a traditional royal name that has popped up in the Windsor line frequently. He gave Kate her ring and his daughter her name, but not everything g the 2 do is about Diana.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

We will probably see the pictures tomorrow sometime. Released for Tuesday morning papers. Tuesday is the 10th anniversary of the bombing on subways and buses so they would not want to release them for Wednesday's paper and overshadow the memorial service

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

A cute non-Wales picture

I was looking to see what Pippa was wearing, and in the getty pix (3rd page), there was a sort of half-front/half-back view of Pippa, and she was smiling. A young policeman was looking at her with a very happy smile (I don't know if she even saw him, but he was surely noticing her).

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I was looking to see what Pippa was wearing, and in the getty pix (3rd page), there was a sort of half-front/half-back view of Pippa, and she was smiling. A young policeman was looking at her with a very happy smile (I don't know if she even saw him, but he was surely noticing her).
more coverage on Pippa. i thought she too looked very elegant... actually i dont think there was a 'miss' of the day.

Kate Middleton's sister Pippa stuns at Princess Charlotte's christening | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

I think people who came out were rewarded with views of both Charlotte and George.

When they arrived Charlotte and Kate were on the opposite side of the paddock and the pram's hood was up.

However, when they left the church Kate and Charlotte were on the side of the paddock and the hood was down. Kate even stopped and people stood up to get a closer look at Charlotte.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

I knew Charlotte would get a Spencer cousin, since George got a Windsor one with Zara. Thought more of the children of Sarah instead of Jane, but reading that Laura lived for a while in KP, it seems she has the closest relationship to William. It's a good choice
Btw all those articles that say Harry and Pippa were snubbed are so silly.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 07-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Love all the photos and film. Thanks to all those who posted them. I think the Queen looks lovely in that pink outfit. The flowered dress is so pretty. In fact, all the ladies looked lovely.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

The queen looks smashing!

Camilla ..not a fan of her look.

Carole looked very nice...liked her outfit.

The style of Pippa's dress was nice..the color/material was so so.

Catherine's outfit...was ok, blah. It was appropriate.

George was so cute!

LaRae
Old 07-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
It's this ridiculousness I have a problem with, like Kate gives a rats butt about what Diana wore 30yrs ago! Kate wears clothes, Diana wears clothes, people who wear clothes will undoubtedly wear similar styles. Just because Kate wears red, blude, yellow or polka dot, doesn't mean it's because of Diana! And George is a traditional royal name that has popped up in the Windsor line frequently. He gave Kate her ring and his daughter her name, but not everything g the 2 do is about Diana.
Thank you! People fail to realize that even though William wanted to keep his mother's memory involved, I don't think he ever meant that the said memory will be evident in every single action of his family, and on daily basis. He reminds us that his mother is a big part of his life, but in normal, and healthy gestures. Now, if he insisted that his wife took his mother into consideration when it came to choices of attire, I'd be genuinely concerned for his mental health. That type of behavior is not healthy, no matter how you look at it.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.