Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I absolutely loved the nanny's uniform. I thought it quite charming.

LaRae

If I were expected to attend an event knowing the Queen was going to be present, along with Prince Charles, Phillip, etc. I'd be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to wear. Knowing I could wear my official uniform would be a relief. The clergy all wore traditional robes and the like - hardly modern, not flattering, yet no one thinks twice about it. It's not like we see Maria wearing the uniform all the time, usually she's in pants w/ George. Even on the Australia/New Zealand trip my recollection is that she didn't wear her uniform. This was an event in a church with several senior royals, I suspect nanny Maria felt her uniform was appropriate attire for the event and I agree - it was entirely appropriate for the event if that was what she was most comfortable wearing.
I actually liked the uniform in a nostalgic Mary Poppins kind of way :) I suspect she adores George and judging from what we see of him she is doing her job brilliantly, IMO.
I suppose the only female whose fashion has yet to be dissected is Catherine's personal protection officer - for those who object to her rather shapeless jacket she wears it to conceal her gun not to win fashion awards.

Nannies are all over the US from east coast to west coast and the midwest. Generally it's the more wealthy that have them.

LaRae

I think it's quite refreshing to see the Queen exchanging comments with the nanny...the Queen does know the value of a good nanny and must have at least some fond memories of her own.

LaRae

Norland is the nanny of choice for the upper class,a status symbol. That's why they wear the uniform. I'm just disappointed Kate is going down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The nannies I know have minimal training to years of early childhood education. I for one had babysitters and day care for years, no nannies. It might be a differrnt culture but this is one aspect I am glad has not crossed to the US.

And personally I love the idea of a highly trained child care expert forming a long term bond with children and families and being paid a professional's wage for it. I think it's probably amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree, it is nice seeing the Queen interact with the nanny. I'm sure she recognizes the important role Maria plays in the life of the Cambridge family.

The nannies I know have minimal training to years of early childhood education. I for one had babysitters and day care for years, no nannies. It might be a differrnt culture but this is one aspect I am glad has not crossed to the US.

As Pranter has pointed out, people all over the U.S. use nannies, and it's nothing new. I'm not quite sure why you find nannies so objectionable. A lot of people like having someone they can rely on to help look after their children. :)

I agree, it is nice seeing the Queen interact with the nanny. I'm sure she recognizes the important role Maria plays in the life of the Cambridge family.

As Pranter has pointed out, people all over the U.S. use nannies, and it's nothing new. I'm not quite sure why you find nannies so objectionable. A lot of people like having someone they can rely on to help look after their children. :)

I never said I had a problem with nannies, I know nanines and they are wonderful at their job. Any person who chooses to take care of a child whether one or one or in large groups is someone to be admired.

Norland is the nanny of choice for the upper class,a status symbol. That's why they wear the uniform. I'm just disappointed Kate is going down this road.

Yes, it is just such a disappointment they've chosen to have their children cared for by someone who actually highly trained and a professional in child care. So Maria wore her Uniform yesterday. Guess what!?! It's a highly formal occasion w/Senior Royals, especially the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, present and where she would be seen. Of course Maria wore her Norland Uniform for something like this and I would have been shocked if she hadn't.

Not a big deal, but I also don't understand why I'm shocked it's become one. As someone once said, Will and Kate just can't do anything right for certain people.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Do you mind saying why? My objection is just the ridiculous uniform? Do you have more insight about why using them is disappointing?

I never said I had a problem with nannies, I know nanines and they are wonderful at their job. Any person who chooses to take care of a child whether one or one or in large groups is someone to be admired.

Sorry, must have misunderstood. :flowers: I agree, looking after children in any context is an admirable job.

The article discusses the idea of paying $20 an hour for a 16 year old babysitter with scorn...as if that's peanuts.

That's actually a very decent salary for a $16 year old year in the US, and many adults wouldn't turn it down either.

It says Nanny Maria will care for both children...do these professional nannies get a raise when the parents start adding more children to their responsibilities?:whistling::cool:

I surmise some people still Cling the idea the nanny is just part time, for when Catherine has to do Royal duties. The rest of the time she is running after children, cleaning poopy butts dealing with tantrums and being a 'normal' mother.' When it is shown clearly Nanny is a full time paid staff member who actually does most of that the relatable, modern Royal mom image is somewhat tarnished.

I know I will get jumped for saying this but I was disappointed to see the nanny in uniform. To me that is going back to the old days of royal and upper class nannies We have moved so far away from that type of childcare. I was hoping for a modern take on childcare and that Kate being a hands on mum. JMO
I have to admit I was surprised to see a fully kitted out nanny. But nannies per se are a given. I know Catherine is on Maternity Leave to spend time "bonding" with Charlotte, so I guess it came as a shock for many to see what was obviously a very capable, well-qualified, full-time nanny.

It hits at the core of the Super-Mummy advocates. Here is a wealthy woman with no job outside the home who employs a professional nanny. What did they expect? Catherine to give her mother a shout every time there was or is a formal function? Catherine's life, by the very nature of who she is married to, is never going to be ordinary or what some like to call normal. No two engagements are the same nor do they fall at a time when she can nip out while Charlotte both Charlotte and her terrible two are napping.

Nannies are there to provide the rhythm of the children's lives. They will be there for eggs and soldiers for breakfast and whatever tea provides. With luck one or both parents will be there to start and/or finish their day but if not, their routine will carry on regardless.

One could only hope that Maria will segue into the newer uniform over time. Neither the new nor old uniform is particularly attractive so I can only imagine the new one is an upgrade in function rather than form.

I take the nanny in uniform as her choice. She has worked long and hard to get to serve such a prestigious family and be with them on such a day... She is proud of that fact and her training and giving the nanny school props.
It is not an angle I had thought about but I would imagine you are right. We expect everyone else to be polished and shine on formal occasions so it only makes sense that she should wear a uniform of which she is very proud.

I only hope Norland is ready for the rush on services resulting from this publicity.

I surmise some people still Cling the idea the nanny is just part time, for when Catherine has to do Royal duties. The rest of the time she is running after children, cleaning poopy butts dealing with tantrums and being a 'normal' mother.' When it is shown clearly Nanny is a full time paid staff member who actually does most of that the relatable, modern Royal mom image is somewhat tarnished.

Were there really many (if any) people who didn't think that William and Kate had a full time nanny? I'm under the impression that it's quite well-known, and also expected, that they would have a nanny. I don't think it tarnishes Kate's image as a modern royal mom at all. First of all, don't most modern royal moms have nannies? Also, it seems pretty clear to me that Kate is a hand-on mother. There are, I think, plenty of pictures of her out and about with George without a nanny hovering around. However, I'm sure it's nice to have the help, especially with two quite small children.

Surprisingly Yes. Sometimes people believe what they want believe... I have had people say Diana never had nannies either and Charles does not like children around..

Maria was there for the actual christening.
When Kate and William were participating at the christening, Maria would have been looking after George.

I thought Kate was very hands on with her children.

When George ran away she told William to go after him.
When George had one of his stubborn moods and William was trying to deal with him, Kate put her hand on William's back and told him to just carry George.
When George had another of his moods Kate stopped and turn around to look at him.
When George's hair became ruffled she combed it with her hands
When George peeked into the crib, Kate talked to him and made sure he didn't go after Charlotte.

William seems to have a bit of difficulty keeping up with George.

If Kate had not told him to go after George who knows where George would have ended up.

Kate kept her eyes on both of her children. William became distracted by Charlotte, the Queen, the Archbishop, etc..

Kate handled George by herself several times including at the polo game and at the farm. She has visited the farm several times and the nanny was no where to be seen.

The nanny is there to help out when Kate is busy with Charlotte or when Kate is away.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that poor Charlotte was being bounced around in the pram?

I thought the poor girl had whiplash.

No wonder she was crying.

There wasn't enough padding in the pram to absorb the shot.

When Andrew and Edwad rode in the pram there were cushions in the pram. Andrew and Edward appear to have been several months older.

Last edited:
I really have no doubt that Maria is a full time, professional nanny who gets paid professional wages and also is a live in resident of the Cambridge household. She's also a graduate of Norland which has had a stellar reputation for years and I would imagine that the graduates are proud to wear the uniform.

Given what we have seen and what we know about both William and Kate when it comes to their household and raising their children, I would bet my last cream puff that Maria finds herself being regarded as part of the family. Both George and Charlotte will be as close to Maria as any other family member and to me, its a good thing as for little ones the family circle at home is their circle of trust.

Another thing I noticed at the christening is that Maria was very much included and encouraged to be there and meet and greet with the people attending. She obviously wasn't to fade into the background and perhaps that is the reason she chose to wear the Norland uniform. After all, this day was centered on Charlotte and those that will be important in her life.

I'm a grand'ma and to be honest, thirty years ago, I would have loved 'to have had a problem like Maria'

I'm a grand'ma and to be honest, thirty years ago, I would have loved 'to have had a problem like Maria'

I bet you took a leap of joy when you thought that one out didn't you ;)

Kate deals with the kids more than William, like I think many moms. Dads are working and the moms are the ones who really set the rules with the kids. I think that was shown with Kate at the christening. The uniform to me was fine this was a formal occasion and that was her formal dress. It is he uniform of the company she represents so why should she change it . It is a calling card for her company.

It's very obvious that Kate is a hands on mom. William is a hands on dad but he's not there as much for the day to day situations. Learning as he goes but he seems very natural and comfortable with George....and really do you know any families where the wife isn't instructing the husband when it comes to the kids? LOL I don't!

I don't think having a nanny is any different than parents who put their children in daycare all day while they go off to work...in fact I think having a nanny in house would be a far superior situation for the children.

LaRae

I absolutely loved the nanny's uniform. I thought it quite charming.

LaRae

Ugly coulour, ugly cut. I think being able to look gradually fine in it would require a very, very pretty girl wearing it, which the Cambridge´s nanny, sorry to say that, is not... But, of course, I´m sure she´s a very capable and loving nanny, which is all what counts.

Ugly coulour, ugly cut. I think being able to look gradually fine in it would require a very, very pretty girl wearing it, which the Cambridge´s nanny, sorry to say that, is not... But, of course, I´m sure she´s a very capable and loving nanny, which is all what counts.

She's not supposed to look glamorous or like one of the guests...and as I understand it the color/style is a traditional look from years back. She looks quite presentable and appropriate for her role. We all know day to day she wears regular clothing as we've seen the pics.

LaRae

Maybe Nanny Maria got fed up with people confusing her with Emma the RPO so she busted out the Mary Poppins Norland uni to settle it for good who is the nanny and who is the RPO ?

She's not a girl at all, she's a woman in her mid forties. She looked clean, and neat and appropriately dressed in uniform. Her looks are totally irrelevant.

Ugh, seems like even those who work near the Cambridges are going to be exposed to nasty comments about their looks and clothing.

When do we see the outrage against Lupo Cambridge who is so uncivilized that he goes to the bathroom outdoors ?

The Daily Mail had an article about Pippa upstaging Kate again because she wore the same color just like the Royal wedding. Like Pippa and Kate didn't talk about what they were wearing beforehand. C'mon.

Back
Top Bottom