Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is great the Cambridge's continue to use "less grand" church's for the christening of their children.

George VI was christened there

Princess Eugenie was christened at Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham.

Most touching the Lady Diana Spencer was also christened there. A great way to honour Charlotte's grandmother

Last edited:
Twitter posts about this were interesting. The usual reporters were "surprised" (seemed unprepared) for the announcement, IMHO.
Rebecca English was a bit less precise, Richard Palmer was in a meeting. So it would seem (and I am making a leap here) that there was no pre-leak to be ready for the news to break this AM.

If so, hoooooray! Anmer is at least for now, one way to avoid the "inside source" leaks the press has learned to expect.

I am happy to hear the christening is just one month away and that the news came as a suprise... I wish a photo would be soon released though.. I think the public won't see Charlotte until the christening... It woud be a pity...

I think Harry is going to miss the christening... Will he be away? It would be wonderful if he were to be a godparent... but something tells me he won't...

According to the FE section on the British monarchy website no royals have any engagements on that day although that doesn't mean much as the FE often misses many events in advance.

Great news. It's a wonderful way to honor Charlotte's late grandmother, Diana. She was born at Park House, was Christened at the same church, and Sandringham was one of her favorite country estates.

Yes, we will get some pictures of Charlotte way before her Christening.

Great news. It's a wonderful way to honor Charlotte's late grandmother, Diana. She was born at Park House, was Christened at the same church, and Sandringham was one of her favorite country estates.

Yes, we will get some pictures of Charlotte way before her Christening.

I don't think the choice had anything to do with Diana. They picked the church because it's right next to their main residence, Anmer Hall. They were still living in London when George was Christened.

As for your guarantee that there will be earlier pictures. I'm taking a wait and see approach. Charlotte isn't going to be King like George so they can afford to be much more private with her. The informal pictures of George were a gift to the media. Then the media spent days bashing the pictures and Michael Middleton. The media may not receive a gift this time because of their shoddy behavior.

They picked the church because it's right next to their main residence, Anmer Hall. They were still living in London when George was Christened.

Anmer is not their main residence. They have homes at both, Anmer and KP!

Anmer is the one everyone associated with them because that is what the media fixate on and honestly where they spend most of the time and seemingly is a 'home' to them while the KP residence is a just a 'house'. There is s big difference.

Isn't Sandrigham also the summer residence of the Queen?
BTW I wouldn't read too much into the baptism taking place at Anmer...

Anmer is not their main residence. They have homes at both, Anmer and KP!

Disagree. Anmer Hall is their main residence, especially as long as William's working out of Norfolk. Just like Anglesey used to be their main residence when William was with the RAF. He's more pilot than royal at the moment, and his young family follows him.

The KP apartment is just their London base, when they need to do work in the city.

The Queen stays at Sandringham in the winter from just before Christmas to beginning of February. The summer residence is Balmoral from late July to early October. Windsor will get some time in June for Ascot Week and there is a week at Hollyrood in early July.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

I think the church was the secondary consideration. First find a date on the royal calendar in the middle of 'the season' before HM goes to Balmoral where key family members and godparents can attend...then figure out which city and church works...fortunately they have choices. I think it will be lovely. Probably hosted at Sandringham but would be lovely if at Anmer Hall and we get to see photographs in the photos released.

Edit: on second thought Sandringham is generally open to the public in tourist season.... Maybe they will host the christening luncheon/party at Anmer .

Last edited:
I think the church was the secondary consideration. First find a date on the royal calendar in the middle of 'the season' before HM goes to Balmoral where key family members and godparents can attend...then figure out which city and church works...fortunately they have choices. I think it will be lovely. Probably hosted at Sandringham but would be lovely if at Anmer Hall and we get to see photographs in the photos released.

Edit: on second thought Sandringham is generally open to the public in tourist season.... Maybe they will host the christening luncheon/party at Anmer .

The "Reception" may end up being at Anmer as Sandringham in open at that time of the year.

The Queen and Prince Philip usually spend a weekend in Sandringham at that time of the year, usually staying at Wood Farm.

But they could also have hold the christening at Crathie Church and the reception then at Balmoral.

According to the FE section on the British monarchy website no royals have any engagements on that day although that doesn't mean much as the FE often misses many events in advance.
I wish that this site would be updated on a regular basis so we could see their future engagements. Is there a possible security reason why this is not done?

George VI was christened there

Princess Eugenie was christened at Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham.

Most touching the Lady Diana Spencer was also christened there. A great way to honour Charlotte's grandmother

I agree that this is a lovely nod to her late grandmother and great-great-grandfather.

I wish that this site would be updated on a regular basis so we could see their future engagements. Is there a possible security reason why this is not done?
Probably that + that sometimes they pull out or change dates etc and if we knew about the engagements in before it would be bad press

But they could also have hold the christening at Crathie Church and the reception then at Balmoral.

I'm sure they could have if they wished to but it doesn't make much sense to me. Anmer is home and that's where they're based right now with William working for EAAA. With two very small children, why travel all the way to Scotland for a christening? Its also been noted by some here that there are sentimental reasons for using the church that they are.

The Archbishop of Canterbury probably can't do a CoE christening in a Scotland Presbyterian church. Plus Norfolk is easier to get to than Balmoral which is kind of out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think the choice had anything to do with Diana. They picked the church because it's right next to their main residence, Anmer Hall. They were still living in London when George was Christened.

As for your guarantee that there will be earlier pictures. I'm taking a wait and see approach. Charlotte isn't going to be King like George so they can afford to be much more private with her. The informal pictures of George were a gift to the media. Then the media spent days bashing the pictures and Michael Middleton. The media may not receive a gift this time because of their shoddy behavior.

Well, the royal correspondents have said several times that pictures of Princess Charlotte will be released way before her Christening. It's just that they may choose a professional photographer this time around.

Also, yes, there is a Diana connection for their choice in church for Charlotte's christening. Also, they live on the estate.

The royal correspondents say plenty of things. They are only right about 20% of the time. None of them guessed that the Christening would happen in early July, none of them predicted the right church. They were all wrong in picking George's godparents. Basically, their sources are cow manure.

I don't deny there is a Diana connection. I do deny that it had any relevance in their choice.

I was hoping picture(s) would be released this weekend - I think it will be a weekend release for the newspapers and Sunday Magazine. But I also think more importantly they will time them so as not to compete with anything other senior royals are doing (i.e. HM at the WI celebration with Anne and Sophie)

I think it would be great if it was just a casual pic on the KP instagram account of George and Charlotte doing something adorable...like every other new parent.

The first thing I thought when I read "St. Mary Magdalene, Sandringham" is that that is where the late Diana Princess of Wales was christened. What a lovely idea.

I wonder if the Spencers will be invited this time?

I hope not. It would be a huge insult to invite the Spencers but not invite Anne, Andrew, Edward, Richard, Simon, Nicholas and Gary.

Back
Top Bottom