The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
Did the have a tea or meal gathering after?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I’ve heard that’s quite a thing. Frankly I would just have a new one made in the same flavour. Much tastier. Didn’t they have a fruit cake layer for their wedding cake? That lasts ages apparently.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.
The seating make it even more small. It was just single odd chair during Victoria’s time. Mostly people stood for the short christenings.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Just got to love children and their freedom to say whatever they want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil.
Also HM and Princess Margaret come to mind. IIRC from when they were young Margaret was always seen as the more lively and outgoing sister, continuing of course into adulthood.
I remember reading something about William getting into an argument or disagreement with another child at his nursery and Diana having to apologise to the child's parents, but I can't remember where I read that. I think, as someone else said, William was more outgoing when he was younger but now Harry is portrayed as the livelier one since teenage/adulthood.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Mitre christening videos

Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I know the British royals don’t show royal christening to the public, but I would love to see an old fashioned palace christening. Like in the Buckingham Palace Music Room. Louis’s grandfather, The Prince of Wales, was christened there.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
After the christening a private tea service was held.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Indeed

Just for the perspective on outgoingness: George was waving today as well behind the window (not an enormous full arm wave as done by Charlotte but a proper forearm wave)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

Charlotte must have asked about all the people in the courtyard and was given that answer. She's at a young age where the distinctions are not clearly defined in her mind. She would want to know where all those people would be going. Cute. (She also speaks up! No shyness in evidence whatsoever!)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree Lady Nimue. As any parent has likely experienced, your pre-schooler is inquisitive and is likely to share whatever is on their mind. Charlotte like any child that age is still learning to communicate and will continue to learn about appropriate and inappropriate statements and observations for years to come.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree Lady Nimue. As any parent has likely experienced, your pre-schooler is inquisitive and is likely to share whatever is on their mind. Charlotte like any child that age is still learning to communicate and will continue to learn about appropriate and inappropriate statements and observations for years to come.
Agreed completely. And can I just say, I absolutely loved it! Charlotte seems be a very confident and outgoing child which is wonderful and she seems to already be picking up on that tried and true royal stance on publicity...she plays nice, waves sweetly for the camera, gives a nice smile, and then tells them to buzz off.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Agreed completely. And can I just say, I absolutely loved it! Charlotte seems be a very confident and outgoing child which is wonderful and she seems to already be picking up on that tried and true royal stance on publicity...she plays nice, waves sweetly for the camera, gives a nice smile, and then tells them to buzz off.
Hah, seems that she has inherited that characteristic from her great-grandfather who is reported to have said "you have mosquitoes, I have the press"

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Now that Charlotte has that down pat in how the media operates, let her get on with making lists of royal duties to be done....... What a strong intelligent little girl she is becoming......William and Catherine have their hands full with her, she rules that roost for sure....
Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Majesty

You know that William and Kate must of had a chuckle about what she said later on...I would of!

LaRae
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

It also struck me that at that young age, whenever Charlotte finds herself in a large group (extended family) they do indeed show up at the party. So for all she knew, that group in the courtyard could have been extended family. Ha!

Being a gregarious sort, she may have even been looking forward to meeting them all. After all, she gave them the most appealing lingering look all the way to the doorway. She looked oh-so-curious! She most definitely has an affinity for the great unknown the press represents (though she hardly understands who they are at this point). But on some level (I think) she recognizes them as 'her people'. I'm teasing, but one never knows! Give it 10 years!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Traditional English fruitcake lasts a very very long time. I read a few years ago that a tin of fruitcake had been discovered in one of the huts from the Shackleton expedition early in the twentieth century. It looked rather dry but not mouldy at all. Sometimes pieces of Queen Elizabeth IIs wedding cake come up for auction. Same thing, look a bit dry but are eatable.

When people preserve the cake with its dried fruits for a future christening it's placed in an airtight box and every now and again taken out and given 'a watering' with some brandy or sherry.

Many renew the icing and marzipan before the christening. These cakes really are delicious, but unfortunately they're going out of favour with modern brides.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know the British royals don’t show royal christening to the public, but I would love to see an old fashioned palace christening. Like in the Buckingham Palace Music Room. Louis’s grandfather, The Prince of Wales, was christened there.

Well, this was actually an old fashioned Palace christening, just in another Palace (St James´s instead of BP).
Those Music room christenings only took place there for a couple of times (I think William´s was the last one) because the chapel of Buck. Palace was destroyed during WW2. I think it is quite proper to have a christening being held in a real sacred place like a church or a chapel, which the music room is not.

What I would call "old fashioned" and really grand are the christenings of the children) of Victoria and Albert, the parents arrayed in their Garter robes, The Queen wearing a diadem, and the ceromony taking place in W. Abbey or at Windsor!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think any of Victoria and Abert's children were christened in Westminster Abbey. Nor are royals christened there today.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

So I guess the official portraits should be released on Saturday?

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think any of Victoria and Abert's children were christened in Westminster Abbey. Nor are royals christened there today.

We all know no royal children are christened in WA these days - if they ever did. Still, the christenings, especially of the eldest children of the monarch, were well and true state occasions at St. George´ s chapel like this detailed report from the christening of the later Edward VII tells us:

The Christening Of Albert Edward, Prince Of Wales | History And Other Thoughts

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/s...?itok=Xh--i8In