Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge: July 9, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ceremony will be performed by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

I’m thinking maybe Princess Eugenie for a godparent.

It’s nothing more than a feeling. William and Catherine seem to get along quite well with Eugenie. She’s also a friend of Pippa and James.

I, too, suspect that we might see Princess Eugenie as a godparent. Either Eugenie or Peter Phillips seem likely choices.

Maybe Harry or Meghan will pop up as one.

LaRae

Maybe Harry or Meghan will pop up as one.

LaRae

I don't think so.

So far, they haven't picked ANY siblings to be a godparent to either George or Charlotte. I think they feel as aunts/uncles they will already have a role in the life of their niece/nephew.

Not Meghan either IMO. They like her (or might) but I think they have known other people longer that might fit the role.

Prince Louis’s christening will take place at 4pm on Monday 9th July at St James’s Palace #princelouis

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

I'd like to see Princess Anne. I think a senior Royal would be a good addition to the good parent list. I doubt it but it would be nice.

A godparent from the Spencer side of the family would be nice. Perhaps Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp as a godfather.

:previous: Laura Fellowes (Sarah's daughter) is Charlotte's godmother. They have chosen a cousin from both sides of William's family. Zara was for George.

Be interesting to see what family they choose if any now. Cant technically rule out Harry/Pippa/James. William had no close relatives (a first cousin twice removed and a second cousin once removed) but then Harry had his Uncle Andrew. But I doubt we will see them.

I'd like to see Princess Anne. I think a senior Royal would be a good addition to the good parent list. I doubt it but it would be nice.

Anne would be an interesting choice since she said George's birth "has nothing to do with me". :lol: She's probably even less interested in Louis, as he isn't even a future King.

A godparent from the Spencer side of the family would be nice. Perhaps Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp as a godfather.

Well, Laura Pettman is Charlotte's godmother. But if you mean a bonafide Spencer as in one of the Earl's children, then while it's possible it also seems doubtful. The Earl's oldest children grew up in Africa and probably had infrequent contact with William. Also the two cousins William chose as godparents (Zara, Laura) are both close in age to him, the Earl's children are quite younger.

Last edited:
So maybe now Emily Hutt?

She could be a good choice. It would also be interesting since William has only attended 3 cousins' weddings - Laura, Zara and Emily. If he picked all 3 for godparents then that would speak volumes to his affection for them. I guess it could also speak to the 4 cousins' weddings that he didn't attend.

Will the Christening of Prince Louis mark the end of the Duchess' maternity leave? Are the two events related at all? Has the end of her maternity leave been announced?

Not related at all. She’s still on maternity leave. She’ll be back to royal engagements in the fall.

How long is the maternity leave in the UK?

52 weeks but obviously Catherine won’t be off for that long. Her schedule resumes in the fall.

IIRC she doesn't take more than 4 or 5 months.

LaRae

I believe it was mentioned that she will be back in September. So, that would make it 5 months, give or take a week.

I think the Duchess of Cambridge will start making her comeback probably around mid to late July. She won’t be gone long.

I think it will be more along the lines of late August ...maybe even September.

LaRae

I think it will be more along the lines of late August ...maybe even September.

LaRae

It won’t be that long. KP will most likely announce an engagement for her soon. Likely late July.

It won’t be that long. KP will most likely announce an engagement for her soon. Likely late July.

The royals, even those who aren't on maternity leave, are pretty quiet late July/August. It wouldn't be too much surprise if it was fall.

Where are you getting this info?
I’m sure Kensington Palace said she would be back to her regular schedule in the Fall. To me that means September, definitely not July.

I also think it will be fall before an official itinerary of engagements are announced for Kate signaling the end of her maternity leave.

This doesn't mean that Kate won't pop up here and there every so often doing something but as the summer months is when all the British royals kind of take a breather and time out, things resume in full swing in Septemeber.

I think Kate’s return to full time work will coordinate with George and Charlotte going back to school in early September. I do expect her to appear at a few spotted events over the summer ... I know she hasn’t been announced, but wouldn’t surprise me if she comes to RAF service next week since she is the Honorary Commandant of the RAF Air Cadets. And the will prob make an appearance or 2 at Wimbledon.

I think Kate’s return to full time work will coordinate with George and Charlotte going back to school in early September. I do expect her to appear at a few spotted events over the summer ... I know she hasn’t been announced, but wouldn’t surprise me if she comes to RAF service next week since she is the Honorary Commandant of the RAF Air Cadets. And the will prob make an appearance or 2 at Wimbledon.

I think that is correct. The odd appearance here and there, and then a proper return to work once George and Charlotte return to school in early September.

Interesting conversation (though it seems off-topic to Louis' Christening).

Speaking of which, I'm glad they are having it at the Chapel Royal in St. James Palace instead of at St Mary Magdalene's. It offers more privacy. Going by George's reaction outside Lindo Wing, I don't think he'd be ready to walk past hundreds (thousands?) of royalists as they line the path at Sandringham. His 1-year-old self at Charlotte's Christening seemed to also find it off-putting and needed to be carried by dad. So while I'm sure they chose The Chapel Royal primarily because they're now based in London, as well as convenience for the other Royals (Queen and Philip especially), I think it will benefit George as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom