Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I would advise you never visit me, as we usually have both Christmas Cake and Carrot pudding in our freezer for more than a year sometimes if we don't have any big gatherings here during the Holidays. In fact, we had Christmas Cake last week as my Dad was in hospital and we had far more important things to worry about than making goodies.

As long as it's properly preserved, and w/the Royals you can be assured of that, it's not a problem. Plus w/the brandy in that thing, which is a traditional way of making Christmas Cake/Fruitcake, once again not a problem.

Dried frozen fruit with frozen brandy? :eek:
Haha, we freeze baked goods too, but not fruit.

Then I would advise you never visit me, as we usually have both Christmas Cake and Carrot pudding in our freezer for more than a year sometimes if we don't have any big gatherings here during the Holidays. In fact, we had Christmas Cake last week as my Dad was in hospital and we had far more important things to worry about than making goodies.

As long as it's properly preserved, and w/the Royals you can be assured of that, it's not a problem. Plus w/the brandy in that thing, which is a traditional way of making Christmas Cake/Fruitcake, once again not a problem.

Same here.

My christmas cake was made a month ago and is now being fed with brandy each week.

I will be making mince pies with fruit mince that I made last year. So long as they are stored correctly they last and taste better for the maturing.

On the subject of the christening, I think George looks adorable and Kate and William very much the proud parents. I liked the choice of godparents and didn't think them that different to William's - non-immediate family (Princess Alexandra/Zara), a courtier who helped the bride transition into the family (Susan Hussey/Jamie Lowther Pinkerton) and then friends - right down to the Duchess of Westminster as William's godmother and her son the future Duke as George's godfather. I know King Constantine is a foreign Royal but I believe he and his wife are also good friends of Charles'.

Very surprised and saddened that Diana's family were not represented at the Christening. A Spencer cousin as a godparent would have been a lovely tribute to William's mother. Can't believe that he went out of his way to give Kate Diana's engagement ring but on such an important day like today there seemed to be no inclusion of her. A bit of a shame and so out of character for William.

Very surprised and saddened that Diana's family were not represented at the Christening. A Spencer cousin as a godparent would have been a lovely tribute to William's mother. Can't believe that he went out of his way to give Kate Diana's engagement ring but on such an important day like today there seemed to be no inclusion of her. A bit of a shame and so out of character for William.
I'm sure Diana's memory was incorporated into the day in some way. We may not know how, because William is a private person. But I can't believe that he did not honor his mother in some way.

I think the thing with fruitcake is that it's something you have to have in order to understand - explaining it to people who aren't familiar with it just causes them to go "why would you do that?"

Fruitcake is a baked good with fruit and a lot of alcohol in it. It's considered to be better the older it is - like a fine wine, it has to age. In some households it's considered to be tradition to begin making a Christmas pudding at Christmas time the year before.

I believe it was said awhile back that William and Catherine saved the first 3 tiers of their wedding cake; the one served here is only the first tier. That means that they very likely still have 2 tiers in the freezer for later use.

They did include Diana.

Julia Samuel was a friend of Diana's. She's also the founder of Child Bereavement UK, a charity that William is a patron of because of his mother.

After seeing more pictures, and HD ones at that, I have to agree w/whoever up thread who said Kate actually was in a very pale yellow and not cream. Regardless, I thought she looked lovely and very elegant. All of the ladies did and I love HM wore the brooch her parents gave her when Charles was born. That flower basket one is one of my favourite pieces of HM's jewelry collection and very fitting she wore it today.

As for Kate not wearing any jewelry other than earrings, remember George is three months old and little ones at that age love grabbing sparkly things if they're able to. My niece had to stop wearing her necklace w/charm on it she was given as a Wedding Day gift from my sister and brother in law simply due to my little great nephew Parker almost breaking it by grabbing it. The strength munckins have can be awfully surprising, so it didn't shock me to see Kate not wearing a brooch or necklace.

I still can't get over how much George looks like William. Of course that can change in time, but right now? Downright eerie. I stand by what I said earlier today, I just want to reach through the screen and cuddle that adorable lil guy. Not to mention kiss those chubby wittle cheeks. ;). George is not only one cute little man, but a very healthy one too. Someone mentioned he looks older than he is in size and that seems to be normal these days. We met Parker the first time when he was around the same age as George is and it was the same thing. Size wise, you would have thought he was older by about two or three months than he was. ITA that judging by today, George will be a tall lad as he grows up. Wonder where that'll come from if time proves it right. ;)

Everyone looked wonderful and the Star of the show truly was just that. Wonderful selection of Godparents and IMO they got it right w/the choices they made. Zara looks radiant and I'm sure both she and Mike were also thinking of their own little one's big day wearing the same Christening robe in a few months time. :)

It just seems like it was a day filled w/so much happiness and love. It really did come across the TV quite strongly IMO. I can't wait for the pictures tomorrow. Especially that 4 Generations one. :)

I dont think it is. He was remembering his mother - not her family - when he gave Catherine the ring. And he remembered his mother today in choosing her close friend (she wasn't that close to her family, regardles of what Earl Spencer says) who he obviously cares about and whose charity he supports.

They did include Diana.

Julia Samuel was a friend of Diana's. She's also the founder of Child Bereavement UK, a charity that William is a patron of because of his mother.

I think the presence of a Spencer relative would have been profoundly more significant but what's done is done.

I think the presence of a Spencer relative would have been profoundly more significant but what's done is done.

If they had invited aunts and uncles from one side then in the spirit of fairness they would need to invite them from all sides. Not exactly the intimate christening they wanted. Each side of the family was treated fairly.

I dont think it is. He was remembering his mother - not her family - when he gave Catherine the ring. And he remembered his mother today in choosing her close friend (she wasn't that close to her family, regardles of what Earl Spencer says) who he obviously cares about and whose charity he supports.

Very correct assessment: William remembered his mother on both occasions, not his mother's family. We all know Earl Spencer has been openly very critical of Charles and the Royal family. William must not have liked that.

All this talk of fruitcake has me missing my mother's mince pies, which are with jarred fruit from the grocery store, not the homemade mince pie/fruitcake some on this website make. Nevertheless, I really want some fruitcake.

Cepe makes a really good point here:

she wasn't that close to her family, regardles of what Earl Spencer says

Diana didn't have a good home life growing up, and had a strained relationship with her family as an adult. Choosing a Spencer just because of the Diana connection is ignoring that - I think it's better to remember Diana by choosing someone who she was actually close with.

What's more is that we have to question how much of a relationship William has with his Spencer relations. If he doesn't have a close relationship with them but does have a a better one with her friends then to me this avenue seems a bit better.

I liked everything about today. What stood out for me? George's nose. I was expecting the usual tiny snub/button that babies usually have, but no - that looked like a proper nose

He looks just like Mike Middleton (and I've been told elsewhere that Catherine looks like Mike but this baby looks like a boy).

What a beautiful baby. He looks just like his Mum :)

You do realise that none of his aunts and uncles on his paternal side, and only 1 cousin attended the christening. Royal attendance counted for 7 out of the 22 guests at today's christening. This was beyond a private affair it was almost secretive. William and Catherine invited who they wanted and had the christening the way they chose. Simple.

I don't really understand how people can say George looks like William or Catherine, he looks like neither IMO he's a 3 month old baby. He looks like a baby. If you have him to another family he's probably look like them!

I liked everything about today. What stood out for me? George's nose. I was expecting the usual tiny snub/button that babies usually have, but no - that looked like a proper nose

He looks just like Mike Middleton (and I've been told elsewhere that Catherine looks like Mike but this baby looks like a boy).

George does have a "proper" nose, as you very well put it. And seems quite a serious little guy, for that matter. The expression on his face is quite commanding, for such a tiny person. I cannot figure out the color of his eyes, but they don't look blue, maybe brown or grey.

I liked all the outfits, they all looked pretty, polished and proper. It was a happy event and everyone's face was relaxed and smiling. Nice to see.

Cepe makes a really good point here:

Diana didn't have a good home life growing up, and had a strained relationship with her family as an adult. Choosing a Spencer just because of the Diana connection is ignoring that - I think it's better to remember Diana by choosing someone who she was actually close with.

What's more is that we have to question how much of a relationship William has with his Spencer relations. If he doesn't have a close relationship with them but does have a a better one with her friends then to me this avenue seems a bit better.

Cepe is so right. Diana did not have the healthiest relationship with her parents nor with her siblings. And, her brother found a way to make a buck off her after she died. I can't believe that William liked that at all.

George is a large, fleshy, child, like his father was, but he doesn't seem to look quite as much like a chipmunk. All the guests were well turned out. I loved Camilla's outfit.

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I wanted to say that I have last Christmas's second pudding still in the fridge - not freezer - and we'll use it this year. In the past we have kept puddings for two years. Pudding and cake mixture is basically the same, but we don't have a history of keeping Christmas cakes that long because they are eaten.

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I wanted to say that I have last Christmas's second pudding still in the fridge - not freezer - and we'll use it this year. In the past we have kept puddings for two years. Pudding and cake mixture is basically the same, but we don't have a history of keeping Christmas cakes that long because they are eaten.
My family's the same way; my grandmother used to make an extra pudding for her and my grandfather every year, then hide it from him so it would actually last past Christmas. Her special anniversary treat for him was to reveal the last of the pudding, 7 months later.

You do realize that none of his aunts and uncles on his paternal side, and only 1 cousin attended the christening. Royal attendance counted for 7 out of the 22 guests at today's christening. This was beyond a private affair it was almost secretive. William and Catherine invited who they wanted and had the christening the way they chose. Simple. I don't really understand how people can say George looks like William or Catherine, he looks like neither IMO he's a 3 month old baby. He looks like a baby. If you have him to another family he's probably look like them!

I agree. I don't think anyone was snubbed. Some of the Royals (Anne and Sophie) had other Engagements today and so not everyone could attend. The Christening was scheduled so it would fit in with The Queen and Prince Charles schedule or around a time they had no engagements planned. I am not saying Great Aunts are not as important but aside from maybe Sophie what the possibility they will have a influence on George or a Life or a relationship? All of Prince George Aunts and Uncle were there and that is enough. Now if they did not invite Harry or Pippa then yes I would probably agree with that being a snub.

I have 9 Great Aunts on my mom side (5 by blood and 4 by Marriage) and most live close by, When my Cousin Chastening in 2005 only Two Great Aunts came one who lived in the same town and was a Great Aunt only by marriage and the other one was a Great Aunt by blood who lived in a different town. Both were Aunts our mothers. None of his other Great Aunts on his Father side came.

Did any of Catherine Aunts come to the Christening?

Last edited:
So what is Prince George's entire name now? I'm assuming they added a name at christening.

So what is Prince George's entire name now? I'm assuming they added a name at christening.

It's not common to add a name at the christening in the UK so I'm assuming it remains George Alexander Louis although nothing has been reported.

Did any of Catherine Aunts come to the Christening?

There were 23 guests in total: 5 Royals, 4 Middletons, and the 7 godparents and their spouses. The only extended family members to be included were the Tindalls, as Zara is a godparent. None of William's aunts or uncles (M-W or Spencer) or Catherine's aunts or uncles were present.

He looks very like William....pretty baby.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom