Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that George is a good combination of William and Catherine. He was Williams' lips and Catherine's cheeks. Check out photos of Catherine as a baby -- round face, chubby cheeks. :)

I thought it was very nice how the Archbishop of London kissed Carole's hand upon greeting her.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 1h
The Cabinet have given Prince George a hand-crafted pine toy box as a christening present. They paid for it themselves.

JB ‏@Royal_beans 1m
Prince William reportedly joked of his son that “this is the first time he’s been quiet all day.”

Last edited:
I had forgotten this about Julia Samuel. I had forgotten the whole backstory about Di's "retirement." This choice would make Diana smile for a large number of reasons. It makes me smile. :flowers:
How Diana and Wills have helped a mother bring hope to grieving children | Mail Online

First- Very touching and moving article. Love the photo of William listening with his heart.
Second- Lovely. Kate and William radiate love, joy, and pride. I have never seen William happier. The Queen and Kate both looked divine.

Last edited:
I have to say that I am pleased with the choices (not that I need to be). And being an aunt myself, I am not one of my nieces godparents and took no offense when I was not asked. I will say that I have taken a much larger part in their lives that any of their godparents. So no Pippa, James or Harry does not surprise me. Being an Aunt/Uncle is a gift/honor all unto itself.
So love that they honored Zara and Jamie LP. I do admire the steady hand Jamie has provided both William and Harry over the years.

Vey well said princess gerturde. I could be godmother to my nieces and nephew but it wouldn't make me any closer than I am to them.It's not something I would think about day to day or when I spend time with them.

It's a nice honor to people who you may or may not end up that close to your children but for aunts and uncles it's a pretty special role as it is.:)

What an adorable baby!:wub: I melt with chubby cheeks, it makes me wanna eat him:D

About his features, I think he doesn't look like neither of his parents, of course he has some small points that are of William and Catherine. BUT overall George is very much like him, to explain better, he has his own facial characteristics and features, that makes his own and only.

For a 3 month-old he's quite big right? I could mistake him for a 8/9 month old. And his eyes sure are dark IMO, maybe he takes after his mommy.

Re christening cakes. The cake is not normally frozen. It is normally a fruit based cake ( raisins, sultanas type "fruit"). It is then covered with mazipan and icing. If placed in an airtight tin, it keeps, in fact some say it improves in flavour, probably as another ingredient is normally brandy or rum.

it is a tradition in the Uk for many,many years.

It's nice that that they had a mix of godparents that are friends and a family member. Zara came as a total surprise and not choosing Harry or Pippa was also a surprise but for some reason I am glad they didn't choose them as they are already close family members.

George is a very cute baby and looks very much like William.

Kate looked lovely today. I wish she had worn some royal/historic jewels like brooch at least.

I thought it was very nice how the Archbishop of London kissed Carole's hand upon greeting her..

JB ‏@Royal_beans 1m
Prince William reportedly joked of his son that “this is the first time he’s been quiet all day.”

I read Prince William cried Non Stop during his Christening ceremony until after it was over and Diana put her finger in William mouth

Yeah, it sounds unhealthy to have a frozen fruit cake two years old. Yuck!!

I don't expect that many people will actually eat that cake; it's just there to keep up the tradition. (I wouldn't want to eat fruitcake if it was freshly-baked, because I just don't like it).

I'm sure they'll serve other desserts at the reception.

Re. wedding cake for Christening - Cepe has explained it extremely well, it is done all the time and it is not horrible.

Christmas puddings also can be left for ages, I have a Christmas pudding from Christmas 2011 which will be eaten this year - but by some people's standards, this is a very short period of time.

George looked rather unimpressed but managed to keep a stiff upper lip, like a true British royal.

Good show, little chap!

That face!!! If George were any cuter it would be illegal, I think. You just want to kiss those chubby cheeks! (Yes, I melt around babies. I regret nothing.)

Such a bonny little boy! He's somewhat better looking (to my eyes) than William was as a small child and it will be interesting to see whom he resembles most as he grows. It's difficult to say at this age, particularly as baby's change so much, but he seems a little more Middleton to me. Not that it matters one jot - he is who he is.

It really looked like a happy and pleasant gathering, didn't it? The ladies were all beautifully dressed, and the gentlemen......did anyone else notice what a great advertisement for Savile Row tailoring that they presented? William, in particular, with his tall and athletic physical frame, looked absolutely outstanding; the cut of his suit was exquisite. It always surprises me that so much attention revolves around the ladies' outfits whereas the style and aplomb of the gentlemen is so often overlooked.

Zara looked very well, too, which was good to see. It's pleasing that one royal was included as a godparent and one, whom it's to be assumed, will have quite a lot of contact with George as her child grows up with him.

Looking forward so much to seeing the official photographs with Her Majesty and her three heirs.

To me he looked just like his mother! And looks to be a good boy!

I too wish Kate had worn a piece of significant, historical jewelry.

Why was George in a replica gown? Was it that he was too big for the one his father used? His father, william, was christened at a much younger age.Zara looked better than I have ever seen her. All were beautifully dressed, except Pippa's hat.

Did I notice that the clergy do not bow to HM?

Why was George in a replica gown? Was it that he was too big for the one his father used? His father, william, was christened at a much younger age.

The original gown is far too fragile to be worn, so a duplicate was made.

Re christening cakes. The cake is not normally frozen. It is normally a fruit based cake ( raisins, sultanas type "fruit"). It is then covered with mazipan and icing. If placed in an airtight tin, it keeps, in fact some say it improves in flavour, probably as another ingredient is normally brandy or rum.

it is a tradition in the Uk for many,many years.
That's traditional here in NZ also, and the fruit-based cakes are used precisely because they keep well and are robust enough for little slices to be mailed in wee tins to people who couldn't attend the wedding. The top tier of the wedding-cake is kept as a Christening-cake, or First-Anniversary cake.

he is so cute! can't tell who he looks like but I ws thinking he would have blue eyes to early to sayi guess, but I think he looks more middelton! he is so sweet in that lovely gown! and looks quite! very handsome baby!

he is so cute! can't tell who he looks like but I ws thinking he would have blue eyes to early to sayi guess, but I think he looks more middelton! he is so sweet in that lovely gown! and looks quite! very handsome baby!
I think he has dark eyes even now, but their shape are more like Williams. He is a bit too small to say what he will look like when grows up.

Prince George's Queen Elizabeth looks like. Very serious little prince.

George looked very calm and took it all in stride; I do like his serious expression and clasped hands. And what a bruiser; what is it about chubby baby cheeks that turns us into cannibals?

Last edited:
Those chubby cheeks are something else. I just know his parents slobber them down as much as possible.

I ( personally) find excluding William's aunt,uncles and his cousins (thought he was really close to Peter,Autumn,york sisters) rather tacky.........sure they may have wanted to keep in simple, but these relatives are very important...........and what's another half dozen people..........its not like William,Kate,Charles & Camilla have had to do all the cooking,housekeeping,serving...............when its all said and done...friends come & go, but family (where you like it or not) always remains............Again, (personally) I would find it very hard to accept that kind of slight/cold shoulder..family is still family...........
No one has to agree with me............just my own personal feeling!

Yeah, it sounds unhealthy to have a frozen fruit cake two years old. Yuck!!

Then I would advise you never visit me, as we usually have both Christmas Cake and Carrot pudding in our freezer for more than a year sometimes if we don't have any big gatherings here during the Holidays. In fact, we had Christmas Cake last week as my Dad was in hospital and we had far more important things to worry about than making goodies.

As long as it's properly preserved, and w/the Royals you can be assured of that, it's not a problem. Plus w/the brandy in that thing, which is a traditional way of making Christmas Cake/Fruitcake, once again not a problem.

I think little George looks like Catherine and his cheeks are adorable. He's a chunky little fellow. :D

George fits his name - Gorgeous George, what a little cutie, LOVED the pictures, can't wait for the generational pictures to start to appear.

Back
Top Bottom