Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is not the first time there has been press excitement about christening attendees. Does anyone else remember when Princess Anne went rabbit shooting rather than attending Prince Harry's christening? According to the press this was because she was snubbed as godmother for the baby prince. Nothing much changes.

For Peter's 2 kids, the rest of the family was not invited it was just his immediate family and his grandparents. Without William's royal Aunt and Uncles, you don't have to invite Kate's uncles and aunts ( that means no Uncle Gary) or the Spencer side ( no Charles Spencer). I also don't think we will be seeing Nico and Donna Air with Pippa and James.

I don't see a problem with William and Kate's immediate family, his grandparents and George's godparents.

It's interesting they chose a date when other royals already had engagements. In other courts, they would pick a date when everyone is free and leave it free for the event. It seems like this will be a low key event then, probably with some official pictures and maybe a photoop but nothing else... At least we can look forward at the picture of the 4 generations together which will surely make the front page of many newspapers around the world!

This was always going to be a low key event with some close family and friends, a few photos and maybe a 30 second or so clip of some of the proceedings. That is the BRF's approach to christenings - private and small.

Quite right, the BRF tend to go for small and intimate christenings. They see them as private occasions, and usually, only the closest relatives of the baby being christened are invited.

This is no different from C&C not being present at the christenings of Anne's grand daughter.

There were 60 people at Prince William's christening, which isn't small to me. Obviously the reporters and editors of the Daily Mail know that both Anne and Sophie had other engagements--as did William and Catherine when they chose the date. That's one of the reasons I've doubted speculation that the godparents will include members of foreign royalty or extended members of the British royal family.

I think it is going to be William and Catherine's immediate family, the Queen and Prince Philip, and any godparents who are not among the immediate family. I hope we get at least one photo of the four generations of the Queen and three generations of heirs.

ETA: if Diana's sisters are not godparents, I would hope they are present at the christening.

Last edited:
I think there is a chance nico will be invited...remember pippa's then bf Alex louden was present for her very private confirmation in Feb 2011....I guess it would depend on how "in" he is with that family...if he is considered one of the family he might be there...then again he also has a day job so he might not..

I think one of the reasons for the Sarah visit in August was to ask her to be a godparent, as well as TVS going to balmoral...I think they were being asked. I am sure we will find out maybe a week before the christening if we are lucky.

I think one of the reasons for the Sarah visit in August was to ask her to be a godparent, as well as TVS going to balmoral...I think they were being asked. I am sure we will find out maybe a week before the christening if we are lucky.

Are you actually suggesting that Sarah, Duchess of York, might be a god parent to Prince George? Somehow, in my honest opinion, that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I think there is a chance nico will be invited...remember pippa's then bf Alex louden was present for her very private confirmation in Feb 2011....I guess it would depend on how "in" he is with that family...if he is considered one of the family he might be there...then again he also has a day job so he might not..

I really doubt that Sarah will be asked to be a godparent having in mind that she was even not invited to the wedding. But this is only my onw opinion.

They visited Lady Sarah in August Diana's sister the weekend of the anniversary of Diana''s death...I thought everyone knew about that. I don't know why anyone would think of Sarah Ferguson when it seems that william doesn't like her and they didn't go to visit her in August. Sorry for not being clearer before but, I don't know how to spell her last name so I said sarah.

They visited Lady Sarah in August Diana's sister the weekend of the anniversary of Diana''s death...I thought everyone knew about that. I don't know why anyone would think of Sarah Ferguson when it seems that william doesn't like her and they didn't go to visit her in August. Sorry for not being clearer before but, I don't know how to spell her last name so I said sarah.

That clarifies things. I was confused because you mentioned Balmoral and Sarah Ferguson visited Balmoral in August. May I ask who or what is TVS?

I think iisuzieii means William's good friend, Thomas van Straubenzee. I do think it's possible Tom or Van (as friends and family call him) was asked to become George's godparent but we'll see.

Tom Van Straubanzee(Sp?)...
I always have to look up his name. Google has it as Straubenzee. I agree he is a good possibility as a godparent. Although naming Sarah Ferguson would shake things up a bit.:flowers:

That clarifies things. I was confused because you mentioned Balmoral and Sarah Ferguson visited Balmoral in August. May I ask who or what is TVS?

Yes thanks for the clarification, I had the same misunderstanding.

I personally think its very possible William will choose one of his aunts as godmothers to have a bit of Diana present on his son's life.

I always have to look up his name. Google has it as Straubenzee. I agree he is a good possibility as a godparent. Although naming Sarah Ferguson would shake things up a bit.:flowers:

Oh? Is Philip not going either then? :p

I would think the choices for godparents have already been made.

I can see where Great Aunts would not attend even if they had an engagement.

During my Cousin Christening only one of our Great Aunts came to it and we have a lot of Great Aunts. Also she married into the family as well and was not born into it

I would think the choices for godparents have already been made.

I'm sure you are right. According to media accounts, William told Guy Pelly that he would not be a godparent. They have probably been thinking about this since before George was born. Now the only questions are when are they going to tell us and are we going to approve?

And by "we" and "us," I mean me and I.

Ha. With the date so close at hand, I am sure you are right, US Royal Watcher.

What are the oddsmakers saying in London?

Ha. With the date so close at hand, I am sure you are right, US Royal Watcher.

What are the oddsmakers saying in London?

I don't know. But if one is Sarah Ferguson, we can be sure that the William and Catherine have probably placed a large bet. They would ensure the fiscal future of the monarchy for generations.

There were 60 people at Prince William's christening, which isn't small to me. Obviously the reporters and editors of the Daily Mail know that both Anne and Sophie had other engagements--as did William and Catherine when they chose the date. That's one of the reasons I've doubted speculation that the godparents will include members of foreign royalty or extended members of the British royal family.

I think it is going to be William and Catherine's immediate family, the Queen and Prince Philip, and any godparents who are not among the immediate family. I hope we get at least one photo of the four generations of the Queen and three generations of heirs.

ETA: if Diana's sisters are not godparents, I would hope they are present at the christening.

As Diana's sisters are the same relationship to George as Charles' sister and brothers it would be a massive snub to the royal family if that were to happen and would confirm in many people's mind that William doesn't get along with the extended royal family.

As Diana's sisters are the same relationship to George as Charles' sister and brothers it would be a massive snub to the royal family if that were to happen and would confirm in many people's mind that William doesn't get along with the extended royal family.
I agree that the media will spin it that way, but I think most people will be understand that it wouldn't be a snub to the extended royal family if William invited his one or both of his maternal aunts to represent his mother on this special day. It would be a different story if Charles Spencer or Catherine's uncle were to show up and the extended royal family weren't invited.

I would be surprised if one of Diana's sisters isn't a godparent. If that is the case, then it would make sense that she is present along with all other godparents and William and Catherine's immediate family.

No matter what happens, the media will spin it as someone is being snubbed. I think he takes these things into consideration but won't necessarily let possible backlash guide his decisions. Look at how some people argued that George's names were not only a tribute to Diana, but an insult to the royal family.

Tea being held to mark christening of Prince George - Local - The Journal Pioneer

SUMMERSIDE — It’s not every day that a future king is christened.
That’s why the Friends of Eptek plan to mark the occasion with a celebratory tea, a royal affair set for Eptek Art and Culture Centre on Oct. 19, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Already, volunteers are decorating the centre, laying out antique christening gowns, hanging the Union Jack and putting together mementoes, photos and videos and various other items chronicling royal births of the last century.
What a delightful idea! :flowers:

As if the non-attendance of Anne and Sophie has been made into an article and news piece! They were both working on those days, therefore even if they had been invited they couldn't come. Unless of course they had been chosen as Godparents, but that is seeming less likely as the day goes on.

If Lady Sarah, Diana's sister is invited and ISN'T a godparent then I suppose we can then call it a snub that Anne and Sophie weren't invited, as other aunts were.

You can't really believe anything until the day of the christening and we get a guestlist/godparent list.

I don't get along with everyone in my family. If you can believe the gossip rags, The Prince of Wales doesn't have much time for brothers Edward and Andrew either. (along with Andrew's daughters)

Time is the key word here. Its not like they can call into work sick, take a day off at their leisure or on a whim, cancel engagements. From what I understand, most royal engagements are planned many months in advance and finding one day where they can all get together and be in the same place would be very difficult.

With this in mind, I would be willing to bet that William and Kate have chosen and asked the godparents probably many months ago and perhaps even before George was born. Perhaps October was chosen as after the summer break, things are just starting to get back into full swing before the Christmas holidays.

I am really looking forward to seeing just who was selected as godparents and seeing whatever pictures are released from that day. :)

I think it's hard for some people to understand that William & Catherine aren't out to snub anyone. Some the royals wouldn't be able to make it because of their very busy diary and they know this is a very special and personal time for the couple. The other family members respect the couples privacy and wishes.

Really think that the essence of this day does not lie in who is invited and who is not, but with whom the godparents are; I want to see Kate represented.

Quite right, the BRF tend to go for small and intimate christenings. They see them as private occasions, and usually, only the closest relatives of the baby being christened are invited.

This is no different from C&C not being present at the christenings of Anne's grand daughter.
I fully agree with you. Prince William and his spouse have got a full right to have an intimate ceremony for their child and decide on a list of people they wish to share this special moment.

As William is not the Prince of Wales, as his father was at his christening, it will be naturally more informal.
As far as Lady Sarah as Godmother, isn't she a little old? Aren't godparents supposed to be younger, more the age of the parents?

Back
Top Bottom