The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Majesty

I think iisuzieii means William's good friend, Thomas van Straubenzee. I do think it's possible Tom or Van (as friends and family call him) was asked to become George's godparent but we'll see.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
Tom Van Straubanzee(Sp?)...
I always have to look up his name. Google has it as Straubenzee. I agree he is a good possibility as a godparent. Although naming Sarah Ferguson would shake things up a bit.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
That clarifies things. I was confused because you mentioned Balmoral and Sarah Ferguson visited Balmoral in August. May I ask who or what is TVS?
Yes thanks for the clarification, I had the same misunderstanding.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I personally think its very possible William will choose one of his aunts as godmothers to have a bit of Diana present on his son's life.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I always have to look up his name. Google has it as Straubenzee. I agree he is a good possibility as a godparent. Although naming Sarah Ferguson would shake things up a bit.
Oh? Is Philip not going either then?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

I would think the choices for godparents have already been made.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Courtier

I can see where Great Aunts would not attend even if they had an engagement.

During my Cousin Christening only one of our Great Aunts came to it and we have a lot of Great Aunts. Also she married into the family as well and was not born into it
Old 10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I would think the choices for godparents have already been made.
I'm sure you are right. According to media accounts, William told Guy Pelly that he would not be a godparent. They have probably been thinking about this since before George was born. Now the only questions are when are they going to tell us and are we going to approve?

And by "we" and "us," I mean me and I.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Ha. With the date so close at hand, I am sure you are right, US Royal Watcher.

What are the oddsmakers saying in London?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Ha. With the date so close at hand, I am sure you are right, US Royal Watcher.

What are the oddsmakers saying in London?
I don't know. But if one is Sarah Ferguson, we can be sure that the William and Catherine have probably placed a large bet. They would ensure the fiscal future of the monarchy for generations.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Majesty

'No rift in Royal Family' Senior royals happy not to be invited to George's christening-
THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have left senior members of the Royal Family off the guest list for Prince George's christening because they want it to be an intimate affair.
'No rift in Royal Family' Senior royals happy not to be invited to George's christening | Royal | News | Daily Express

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
There were 60 people at Prince William's christening, which isn't small to me. Obviously the reporters and editors of the Daily Mail know that both Anne and Sophie had other engagements--as did William and Catherine when they chose the date. That's one of the reasons I've doubted speculation that the godparents will include members of foreign royalty or extended members of the British royal family.

I think it is going to be William and Catherine's immediate family, the Queen and Prince Philip, and any godparents who are not among the immediate family. I hope we get at least one photo of the four generations of the Queen and three generations of heirs.

ETA: if Diana's sisters are not godparents, I would hope they are present at the christening.
As Diana's sisters are the same relationship to George as Charles' sister and brothers it would be a massive snub to the royal family if that were to happen and would confirm in many people's mind that William doesn't get along with the extended royal family.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As Diana's sisters are the same relationship to George as Charles' sister and brothers it would be a massive snub to the royal family if that were to happen and would confirm in many people's mind that William doesn't get along with the extended royal family.
I agree that the media will spin it that way, but I think most people will be understand that it wouldn't be a snub to the extended royal family if William invited his one or both of his maternal aunts to represent his mother on this special day. It would be a different story if Charles Spencer or Catherine's uncle were to show up and the extended royal family weren't invited.

I would be surprised if one of Diana's sisters isn't a godparent. If that is the case, then it would make sense that she is present along with all other godparents and William and Catherine's immediate family.

No matter what happens, the media will spin it as someone is being snubbed. I think he takes these things into consideration but won't necessarily let possible backlash guide his decisions. Look at how some people argued that George's names were not only a tribute to Diana, but an insult to the royal family.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess me View Post
Tea being held to mark christening of Prince George - Local - The Journal Pioneer

SUMMERSIDE — It’s not every day that a future king is christened.
That’s why the Friends of Eptek plan to mark the occasion with a celebratory tea, a royal affair set for Eptek Art and Culture Centre on Oct. 19, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Already, volunteers are decorating the centre, laying out antique christening gowns, hanging the Union Jack and putting together mementoes, photos and videos and various other items chronicling royal births of the last century.
What a delightful idea!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

As if the non-attendance of Anne and Sophie has been made into an article and news piece! They were both working on those days, therefore even if they had been invited they couldn't come. Unless of course they had been chosen as Godparents, but that is seeming less likely as the day goes on.

If Lady Sarah, Diana's sister is invited and ISN'T a godparent then I suppose we can then call it a snub that Anne and Sophie weren't invited, as other aunts were.

You can't really believe anything until the day of the christening and we get a guestlist/godparent list.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess me View Post
I don't get along with everyone in my family. If you can believe the gossip rags, The Prince of Wales doesn't have much time for brothers Edward and Andrew either. (along with Andrew's daughters)
Time is the key word here. Its not like they can call into work sick, take a day off at their leisure or on a whim, cancel engagements. From what I understand, most royal engagements are planned many months in advance and finding one day where they can all get together and be in the same place would be very difficult.

With this in mind, I would be willing to bet that William and Kate have chosen and asked the godparents probably many months ago and perhaps even before George was born. Perhaps October was chosen as after the summer break, things are just starting to get back into full swing before the Christmas holidays.

I am really looking forward to seeing just who was selected as godparents and seeing whatever pictures are released from that day.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Majesty

I think it's hard for some people to understand that William & Catherine aren't out to snub anyone. Some the royals wouldn't be able to make it because of their very busy diary and they know this is a very special and personal time for the couple. The other family members respect the couples privacy and wishes.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Commoner

Really think that the essence of this day does not lie in who is invited and who is not, but with whom the godparents are; I want to see Kate represented.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right, the BRF tend to go for small and intimate christenings. They see them as private occasions, and usually, only the closest relatives of the baby being christened are invited.

This is no different from C&C not being present at the christenings of Anne's grand daughter.
I fully agree with you. Prince William and his spouse have got a full right to have an intimate ceremony for their child and decide on a list of people they wish to share this special moment.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

As William is not the Prince of Wales, as his father was at his christening, it will be naturally more informal.
As far as Lady Sarah as Godmother, isn't she a little old? Aren't godparents supposed to be younger, more the age of the parents?

Tags
christening, prince george of cambridge