The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Commoner

Love that 50,000 Brit coin, not that I am lining up to buy it. But I might have been persuaded to purchase its twin in silver, had I not already bought a set of three, celebrating Prince George, produced by the Canadian Mint.

By the way, IMO, the Canadian Mint produced a far better coin, featuring WK, than did the Royal Mint, upon the occasion of Wks marriage.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Prince George christening: Royals Anne and Sophie left off guest list | Mail Online

Some senior members of the Royal Family have not been invited to Prince George’s christening this month because his parents want it to be an ‘intimate, family affair’, the Daily Mail has learnt.

Prince William’s aunts, Princess Anne and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, have been left off the guest list, the Mail was told last night.

And although Buckingham Palace refused to comment, it seems George’s great-uncles, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, are also not attending the hugely anticipated event on October 23.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Aristocracy

Weren't Anne and Sophie already planning to be working that day and unable to attend even if they had been invited? (And I have a sneaky feeling they were, it's the DM "reporting" after all.) I seriously don't see William not inviting his aunts and uncles if they wanted to be there. Plus, were all of William's great-aunts and uncles at his christening? Maybe they were, I have no idea. Maybe everyone's viewpoint is, "You've seen one christening, you've seen them all."
Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well one can only hope that this not exclusion I would find that really hard to believe ... but no doubt all the Mids will be there...
Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 AM
Majesty

Neither Andrew nor Margaret were at William's christening. Andrew was fighting in The Falklands War and Margaret was on her annual holidays.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I personally like the fact that George will be christened in the chapel, I dont see why Buck's Music Room has to be used for traditional reasons.

Re attendees, each to their own. I think who has to be there are (from W&K perspective) grandparents, parents, siblings with partners, godparents with partners, a few very good friends. If you start with uncles and aunts, you should be equal with both families, and this is where the problem might start, the Middletons might not be keen to present the uncles and aunts from their side. Therefore its possible that they have drawn the line. I dont mind. I dont have to see Andrew etc there just because its the royal part of the family. I'd consider them 'extended family', not essential to attend.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Weren't Anne and Sophie already planning to be working that day and unable to attend even if they had been invited?
Yes. Anne will be in Canada that day, and Sophie will be in South West England.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

Yes. Anne will be in Canada that day, and Sophie will be in South West England.
It's interesting they chose a date when other royals already had engagements. In other courts, they would pick a date when everyone is free and leave it free for the event. It seems like this will be a low key event then, probably with some official pictures and maybe a photoop but nothing else... At least we can look forward at the picture of the 4 generations together which will surely make the front page of many newspapers around the world!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Majesty

This was always going to be a low key event with some close family and friends, a few photos and maybe a 30 second or so clip of some of the proceedings. That is the BRF's approach to christenings - private and small.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Courtier

The DM is really a hack newspaper, isn't it?! Anne and Sophie already have engagements. And, frankly, the only calendars that needed to be checked are that of the Queen and DofE.

I'm just amazed at how some members of the media are so desperate to stir up trouble.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Nobility

This is not the first time there has been press excitement about christening attendees. Does anyone else remember when Princess Anne went rabbit shooting rather than attending Prince Harry's christening? According to the press this was because she was snubbed as godmother for the baby prince. Nothing much changes.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Serene Highness

For Peter's 2 kids, the rest of the family was not invited it was just his immediate family and his grandparents. Without William's royal Aunt and Uncles, you don't have to invite Kate's uncles and aunts ( that means no Uncle Gary) or the Spencer side ( no Charles Spencer). I also don't think we will be seeing Nico and Donna Air with Pippa and James.

I don't see a problem with William and Kate's immediate family, his grandparents and George's godparents.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
It's interesting they chose a date when other royals already had engagements. In other courts, they would pick a date when everyone is free and leave it free for the event. It seems like this will be a low key event then, probably with some official pictures and maybe a photoop but nothing else... At least we can look forward at the picture of the 4 generations together which will surely make the front page of many newspapers around the world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This was always going to be a low key event with some close family and friends, a few photos and maybe a 30 second or so clip of some of the proceedings. That is the BRF's approach to christenings - private and small.

Quite right, the BRF tend to go for small and intimate christenings. They see them as private occasions, and usually, only the closest relatives of the baby being christened are invited.

This is no different from C&C not being present at the christenings of Anne's grand daughter.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Courtier

There were 60 people at Prince William's christening, which isn't small to me. Obviously the reporters and editors of the Daily Mail know that both Anne and Sophie had other engagements--as did William and Catherine when they chose the date. That's one of the reasons I've doubted speculation that the godparents will include members of foreign royalty or extended members of the British royal family.

I think it is going to be William and Catherine's immediate family, the Queen and Prince Philip, and any godparents who are not among the immediate family. I hope we get at least one photo of the four generations of the Queen and three generations of heirs.

ETA: if Diana's sisters are not godparents, I would hope they are present at the christening.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

I think there is a chance nico will be invited...remember pippa's then bf Alex louden was present for her very private confirmation in Feb 2011....I guess it would depend on how "in" he is with that family...if he is considered one of the family he might be there...then again he also has a day job so he might not..

I think one of the reasons for the Sarah visit in August was to ask her to be a godparent, as well as TVS going to balmoral...I think they were being asked. I am sure we will find out maybe a week before the christening if we are lucky.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
I think one of the reasons for the Sarah visit in August was to ask her to be a godparent, as well as TVS going to balmoral...I think they were being asked. I am sure we will find out maybe a week before the christening if we are lucky.
Are you actually suggesting that Sarah, Duchess of York, might be a god parent to Prince George? Somehow, in my honest opinion, that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I think there is a chance nico will be invited...remember pippa's then bf Alex louden was present for her very private confirmation in Feb 2011....I guess it would depend on how "in" he is with that family...if he is considered one of the family he might be there...then again he also has a day job so he might not..

I really doubt that Sarah will be asked to be a godparent having in mind that she was even not invited to the wedding. But this is only my onw opinion.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

They visited Lady Sarah in August Diana's sister the weekend of the anniversary of Diana''s death...I thought everyone knew about that. I don't know why anyone would think of Sarah Ferguson when it seems that william doesn't like her and they didn't go to visit her in August. Sorry for not being clearer before but, I don't know how to spell her last name so I said sarah.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
They visited Lady Sarah in August Diana's sister the weekend of the anniversary of Diana''s death...I thought everyone knew about that. I don't know why anyone would think of Sarah Ferguson when it seems that william doesn't like her and they didn't go to visit her in August. Sorry for not being clearer before but, I don't know how to spell her last name so I said sarah.
That clarifies things. I was confused because you mentioned Balmoral and Sarah Ferguson visited Balmoral in August. May I ask who or what is TVS?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Aristocracy

Tom Van Straubanzee(Sp?)...

Tags
christening, prince george of cambridge