The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...I have a question: when William or Harry (or any of the grandchildren) were christened did we get a picture of just QEII, the DoE, and the child? I know that when they got older there were pictures of just the pair of them and their grandchildren, but I can't say that I've seen any from the christenings (although, I could have missed that).
As far as I know, Queen Elizabeth II is never photographed holding a baby or child, except her own children years ago. For some reason, it must be seen as non-Queen-like to be photographed holding small children. (There is one picture I can think of where little Zara is sitting in her lap at a race.... that's it!)

Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
As far as I know, Queen Elizabeth II is never photographed holding a baby or child, except her own children years ago. For some reason, it must be seen as non-Queen-like to be photographed holding small children. (There is one picture I can think of where little Zara is sitting in her lap at a race.... that's it!)
To be fair - you mean no published photos.

Also - Victoria was. Maybe HMQ is wary of holding small babies and the ensuing risks

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Actually there is video of QEII holding Zara at the photography session following her christening. You can find the video on one of these threads or on You Tube.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
George III had a great-grandchild born dead - the son of Princess Charlotte of Wales. So he was alive when a great-grandchild was born - just sadly born dead.
Yes but it was born dead and George III never met it so and from what I read he never knew so... Technically there only been two
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Majesty

The Queen do hold her grandchildren. I'm pretty sure she has held her great-grandchildren as well.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen do hold her grandchildren. I'm pretty sure she has held her great-grandchildren as well.
Oh I imagine she does love to hold the wee ones, hug them and enjoys playing with them. The difference being that usually when this happens, she's not in Queen mode but Granny mode. Private time.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Serene Highness

I could not find anything about how many people were at William's christening. I agree that George's christening will be a smaller family event with probably William's immediate family and the immediate family of Kate. We know Anne is in Canada and Sophie has engagements outside of London. So it doesn't seem like William's extended family won't be there so the Spencers side and Middleton extended aren't going to go either.

So Charles, Camilla, Harry, Queen and Philip plus 4 Middletons, 6 godparents plus spouses plus Rebecca, Miguel, Ed and Nick in a working capacity is 25 people not counting the Cambridges.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Majesty

I wonder who got the job as the official photographer for George's Christening? We'll see soon.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

The guy who did the wedding photos perhaps.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Not to get out of the way, but there used to be severe turf wars even for the choice of photographer..There was a very serious one for The Coronation, between The QM and The DoE..and I guess I need not say who won..
Old 10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Commoner

Re potential photographers, I am hoping that William will choose and pay for same, if it would give him some control over issues such as distribution and photoshopping.

Would not be surprised if Pippa suggested a good photographer from Vanity Fair, an alternative to Mario Testino.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

There is a difference in photographing an event versus a magazine/ad shoot. At the event the time is limited and people are going to get grumpy. For the wedding, the photographer said he only had 30 minutes for the pictures.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
@Skippyboo. What I meant was that by comparison to Williams, this ceremony seems to be on the cheap side. My understanding is that there were some 60 guests present at Williams christening, despite the fact that Charles had far fewer friends than does William, at approximately the same age. William and Kate could easily invite 160 guests, if not more. Further, I quite doubt that Charles will lay on a luncheon for the occasion, although, to be sure, all 60 present at Williams christening, were treated to same. Of course, I could be wrong; time will tell.
Isn't the chapel only large enough for a small group? I remember reading that only about 30 people could comfortably fit for the ceremony. Also, I think "cheap" is not the word you should be using. There is nothing cheap about the christening of a future King in a royal chapel.

Also, Charles and Camilla could very well host a luncheon or some such afterwards. I seriously doubt the Duchess of Cambridge would be up for inviting a horde of people back to her new apartment. I imagine she and William will be nervous already just with the christening; having 30 people over for lunch the same day would be too much, I think. They could always have a family dinner/housewarming during the holidays to let family and friends see the new place.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
Isn't the chapel only large enough for a small group? I remember reading that only about 30 people could comfortably fit for the ceremony. Also, I think "cheap" is not the word you should be using. There is nothing cheap about the christening of a future King in a royal chapel.

Also, Charles and Camilla could very well host a luncheon or some such afterwards. I seriously doubt the Duchess of Cambridge would be up for inviting a horde of people back to her new apartment. I imagine she and William will be nervous already just with the christening; having 30 people over for lunch the same day would be too much, I think. They could always have a family dinner/housewarming during the holidays to let family and friends see the new place.
I think it's much bigger than that. The future George V and Queen Mary married there, and I've also read that the 18th c refurb brought the capacity to c 500.

Other weddings of note

8 April 1795: Prince George, Prince of Wales eldest son and successor of King George III, was married to Princess Caroline, Duchess of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel

10 February 1840: Queen Victoria, only daughter of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn and successor of King William IV was married to Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Saxony[5]

6 November 1935: Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, son of George V was married to Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott

Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
Just for a little historical context, here's my blog post on the 7 most controversial christenings in British royal history!

The 7 Most Controversial Royal Christenings | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Thank you for this and all your blog post. I have your site saved as a shortcut on my phone.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Commoner

@mslewis. This chapel is large enough to accommodate far more than 30 guests, unless the choir is unusually large, which is doubtful.

And, I reiterate--this ceremony is going to be low-key and cheap/inexpensive. I have never suggested that WK would host a multitude at their new apartment; they don't have the staff to pull it off, altho Charles certainly does. I suggested that after any champagne and canapé reception Charles may/may not host, it would be up to WK, if they so choose,to host a small luncheon consisting of godparents, their spouses, Harry, Pippa and James. This much WK could manage, thanks to Antonella and proper planning, provided, of course, that by that time, they have an adequate dining-room, with table and chairs.

There has been, from my point of view, a noticeable lack of royal generosity, re WK, to date. The Middletons, on the other hand, have stepped up to the plate, paying more than say the Spencers toward the cost of the wedding, purchasing a new, larger home when many would be down-sizing in order to provide a safe haven for W/K/G.

Yes, the Windsors are playing this cheap.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Please note that off topic posts (i.e. the Cambridge wedding reception and foreign royals, etc.) have been deleted as off topic.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Majesty

Prince George's £50,000 coin: Piece containing 1kg of gold among first set minted to commemorate a royal christening-
Prince George's £50,000 coin: Piece containing 1kg of gold among first set minted to commemorate a royal christening | Mail Online

Now I love that coin.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Majesty

Video:
Royal Christening: Commemorative Coin Production-
Home - ITNSource News

Always nice to see how the coins are made.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I am so pleased that the christening of Prince George of Cambridge is being celebrated as he will, one day, be Head of the Church of England. I appreciate that over time, the situation might change, but here and now, this is a good thing to happen.

And FYI, I am not a member of the CoE.

Tags
christening, prince george of cambridge