Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too thought we would get some video of the reception after the christening. I guess when the Cambridge's mean it was a private occasion, they meant it.
Or it could be used during the queens Christmas broadcast or some other later production. We forget that none of the videos of prior christening videos were released at the time of the christening, always a documentary or Christmas broadcast. Don't give up hope ...it still may exist.

I too thought we would get some video of the reception after the christening. I guess when the Cambridge's mean it was a private occasion, they meant it.

I agree, but as Michelle said, perhaps we'll get a video of the christening at HM's Christmas Speech. I bet a video of the photo of George smiling would've been cute. :)

I think that the Christening of the Future King should have been a mucht more big event than it was...I udnerstand their way of beeing private but we are talking abut the future king on England not also their baby...and...it was a very small and private event...

I think that the Christening of the Future King should have been a mucht more big event than it was...I udnerstand their way of beeing private but we are talking abut the future king on England not also their baby...and...it was a very small and private event...

Regarding the christening being closed from the public, it's not William and Catherine being private, christenings in the BRF have always been private. It's only in the Scandinavian royal families (and some other European RFs, I'm not sure which as they're neither as big nor televised here in Denmark as the Norwegian and Swedish (the Swedish in particular) ones are) that it is customary to televise the christenings and make them big and public.

:previous: I think it is highly unlikely that the Queen would send out a Christmas card of herself holding George without the Duke in the picture as well (as the card would be from both of them), which really defeats the purpose of the historic photo where the different generations of present & future monarchs are pictured together.

Also why would the Cambridges send a christmas card with the queen and George without them. We have never seen any Christmas cards from the Cambridges.

I would think if the Queen wanted a baby George shot for her card- it is the Queen holding George with Philip.

Well, no sense in arguing about whether it will or won't be on her Christmas card - we will know in very short order.

I would love to see a photo of the Queen holding George - it's just as much historic value as the four generations together, and I think that a photo of just the two could be far more emotionally packed.

But I'd like to see the DoE with the baby too.

I do hope we get to see another of George with triumphant fists in the air. ;)

Maybe we'll have some glimpse of the event thanks to a TV program on a later date. Like this :

Zara Phillips Christening Day - YouTube

Maybe for the 2013 Christmas speech ...
Or maybe not. As always there is a great difference btw some wishful thinking and the down to earth approach of the Windsors. As this poor chap will have to grow up under the scrutiny of the public eye, some privacy is very welcome imo.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this is the most likely opportunity to see more pictures from the Christening. The Queen often features footage of major events from the year in her Christmas broadcasts and shapes part of her message around them. What could be more appropiate for a Christams message than the birth of a new baby, and having filmed the photoshoot at previous royal christenings, I think we can be fairly optimistic that this was also the case at George's Christening.

I'm sure there's got to be a photo of HM holding George; with all the photos that had to be taken at the christening one (or several) must exist, and I'm sure with the DoE as well. It's too important, not only for the historic value but also as personal family photos with great-grandparents holding their great-grandson. I'm sure we'll see these photos eventually and I won't stress over any not being released currently.

Last edited:
I don't think they took pics of the queen or the duke holding George...someone on twitter made a good point when the christening pictures were released that when is the last time you saw the queen holding a baby that wasn't her own...we haven't.

If there is video footage of the photo shoot I don't think its likely we will see it...will and kate are very private people..I see them keeping it for themselves.

I think if they were going to have her take a picture with the baby it would of been the 3 kings photo..and they probably thought it was better to have the father hold the baby...considering if it wasn't mom or dad the baby probably would have screamed its head off.

I for one don't care if there wasn't a picture of the queen holding George...I understand a lot of people want to see that but I enjoy the pictures they release and won't be disappointed in least if there are no photos of that.

I don't think they took pics of the queen or the duke holding George...someone on twitter made a good point when the christening pictures were released that when is the last time you saw the queen holding a baby that wasn't her own...we haven't.
Sorry to labour this conversation, but as someone pointed out much earlier in this thread, we do have pic in the public domain of her with her first grandson

Pic

In 1989 or 1990 the christmas card included a pic of the queen holding princess beatrice :)

I just hope people don't get their hopes up too much for a pic or footage....to be disappointed if it doesn't happen. I guess at this point we'll find out in a month or so...I imagine those cards start getting released in early dec.

I think the queen or charles will use the 3 kings picture (the one already released) as their christmas card.

I don't think they took pics of the queen or the duke holding George...someone on twitter made a good point when the christening pictures were released that when is the last time you saw the queen holding a baby that wasn't her own...we haven't. If there is video footage of the photo shoot I don't think its likely we will see it...will and kate are very private people..I see them keeping it for themselves. I think if they were going to have her take a picture with the baby it would of been the 3 kings photo..and they probably thought it was better to have the father hold the baby...considering if it wasn't mom or dad the baby probably would have screamed its head off. I for one don't care if there wasn't a picture of the queen holding George...I understand a lot of people want to see that but I enjoy the pictures they release and won't be disappointed in least if there are no photos of that.
Will I am sure there is a picture of the Queen holding her Great Grandchild ( and of all three in fact) but just because they never released one doesn't mean there is not a photo the Queen holding Prince George. I bet she held him when he visited balmoral but those photos will stay private and within the family and probably won't be made public for a long time.

Last edited:
Though I know it's highly unlikely, how great would a Christmas card with the Queen, Prince Philip and their three great-grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George, be? I would absolutely love that.

I certain that there are at least a few private pictures of both HM and Prince Philip holding little George as well.

Though I know it's highly unlikely, how great would a Christmas card with the Queen, Prince Philip and their three great-grandchildren, Savannah, Isla and George, be? I would absolutely love that.

I certain that there are at least a few private pictures of both HM and Prince Philip holding little George as well.

That would be amazing! All three great-grandchildren!

And the next Christmas - with four!

It would also be nice to see a photo of Prince George with all of his Grandparents as well. Maybe we will see one day. That could even be Prince Charles Christmas Card.

I think if any picture come next if when it does it will be of George with His Grandparents.

From the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10422566/The-Queen-will-be-left-holding-the-baby-at-Christmas.html

The christening of Prince George marked the first time that four generations of monarchs — present and future — had gathered for a picture for more than a century. It was in 1894, at the christening of the future Edward VIII that such a majestic group had last sat for a photographer, when the baby was seen with his father, grandfather and great-grandmother — George V, Edward VII and Queen Victoria.
There was, however, one shot that William and Daniel Downey, the court photographers of Ebury Street, Belgravia, managed to take that Jason Bell appeared to have neglected in his much-talked-about set of photographs last month: the reigning monarch with the baby.
“Of course, it is the obvious shot and I don’t for one moment think that it didn’t occur to Mr Bell to take it,” a senior courtier tells me, somewhat teasingly, when I raise the question. “I mean, the man is a professional, after all. All I can really say on this matter is: 'watch this space’.”
Mandrake is reliably informed that Bell did indeed photograph the Queen holding Prince George, but the picture was witheld on the highest possible authority. The reason is simple. The Queen herself wishes to publish the picture — a touching study, so I am told — on her Christmas card this year. The two of them together may also, so I am told, appear on the card that the Cambridges send out.

Regarding the christening being closed from the public, it's not William and Catherine being private, christenings in the BRF have always been private. It's only in the Scandinavian royal families (and some other European RFs, I'm not sure which as they're neither as big nor televised here in Denmark as the Norwegian and Swedish (the Swedish in particular) ones are) that it is customary to televise the christenings and make them big and public.

Yes but here, not even the PM was present -as he should..
The Cambridges over-did it -I think too..

Yes but here, not even the PM was present -as he should..
The Cambridges over-did it -I think too..

Why would David Cameron need to go to George's christening? It was a private family event. What was over done by the Cambridges? It was just immediate family and godparents.

Might I suggest you check out that YouTube video of Zara's Christening posted on the previous page? It's not Princess Anne that carries Zara into the room where the Official Pictures were taken, it's HM. There's also a sweet moment just before they all come into the room where you can see Prince Charles giving his baby Niece and Goddaughter a kiss.

In fact, Zara looked quite comfy and snuggly in Granny's arms and was *not* happy to get moved over to her Mummy for the pictures. :D

I'm sure there's photos of George being held by the Queen. If we see them, we see them. If we don't, we don't. I love the pictures we did get and thought the 4 Generations one was lovely as well. If we see more, that's just a bonus AFAIC. :)

I have to admit I am looking forward to the release of any "significant" shots from the Christening as well. As to the event itself, I think that William and Catherine went a little bit too scant on the guest list. It just doesn't come across as a joyous occasion at all, more like . . . birth = check, leaving hospital = check, christening = check.

For most families Christenings are a big deal that the families get together and share. Weddings and christenings are traditional family fare and for this couple it just didn't happen. I really think they are taking their version of Garbo's famous quote, "I want to be let alone", to absolute extremes.

If they had had a family get together without including them in the shots it would not have mattered or even seemed odd because that's how it goes at weddings . . . main characters for the obligatory photos and the assembled family and friends celebrate together after that. But somehow it seems that Prince William is distancing himself further and further from everyone, not just the public. Frankly, we saw more of both he and his wife when he was still in the RAF!

I think if one is followed their entire life by people with cameras in their hands, when even the most intimate moments are captured by people with telephoto lenses and the resulting pictures shared with the world, private moments would be at a premium. I can't say I blame William for wanting special moments to be shared with family only. I'll include Kate in that, as well, since she's been followed by cameras for over 10 years. We were allowed to see the family gathered outside the chapel, which is something I don't think many people expected. So I'm happy with that. :)

I think if one is followed their entire life by people with cameras in their hands, when even the most intimate moments are captured by people with telephoto lenses and the resulting pictures shared with the world, private moments would be at a premium. I can't say I blame William for wanting special moments to be shared with family only. I'll include Kate in that, as well, since she's been followed by cameras for over 10 years. We were allowed to see the family gathered outside the chapel, which is something I don't think many people expected. So I'm happy with that. :)
I mainly agree with this but with regards to the Christening, I don't think there is any compromising of privacy during the time allocated for taking official photos. To allow a camera to film the family preparing/ reacting to this is a win win situation - we get to see them interacting as a real family rather than posing for photos, the media get the coverage and the popularity of the royal family is maintained :). We will have to wait and see whether the Christmas broadcast provides any footage - I am quite optimistic it will.

the christening was beautiful! I miss a pictures with the godparents! great for wills and kate choice diana's friends like a godmother. someone see the baby harry picture in back of the picture with the four generations? that was a picture take for diana and she have it in kensington palace. now is in clarence house, is rare dor me that charles have some diana's thing.

Back
Top Bottom