Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would be nice if we got a big royal family picture like they used to release back in the day. The royals used to pose in the grounds of Sandringham, Balmoral and Windsor or even within the estates. The family has grown so beautifully over the years. Perhaps then we could've gotten a picture of The Queen holding baby George.

I suppose there isn't a 2nd photo coming out today. The rumor must have only been half true. I was hoping to see one with the godparents but the close up of the 3 of them was so good, it's worth 2 ordinary ones.

Love this photo of baby George with his loving parents. Such a touching family picture.

As for the Queen not holding Baby George, remember she is in her late 80s and may not feel she could comfortably hold a 3 month old baby for the time needed to snap the pictures.

I agree about the new picture, but I don't think we can assume that there aren't any pictures of the Queen holding George (or, for that matter, holding any of her grandchildren or great-grandchildren).

I am confident there are pictures of George with the Middleton family, just like the one with the royal family. There are also pictures with the godparents. For whatever reason, they have decided to keep the pictures private. Perhaps those pictures will be released in the future--but probably not.

Any idea why they released this picture a few days later?

Behind William in the picture of the Queen and her 3 heirs, you can see a painting of 2 young women. Is it the Queen and her sister?

Yes, it is a painting of the sisters.

I know I would like to see some informal pictures of William & Catherine and George. Perhaps we'll get pictures like that in the coming months or even on his first birthday.

I like the new pic. Catherine looks very natural and you can see the love between mother and child! But: I barely noticed William... Something wront with him... However I'm looking for the second pic without finding it :-(

Since Williams never been overly happy that one day he will be king I'm guessing the picture is capturing a bit of the regret that he has now passed that *gift* down to his son.

Since Williams never been overly happy that one day he will be king I'm guessing the picture is capturing a bit of the regret that he has now passed that *gift* down to his son.

Since he is so unhappy about it, he can always resign and let his brother take over. Also, he cannot assume that, just because he isn't happy about it, George will not be.
I, somehow, never believed in that whole William's "being unhappy" about being a king. Again, if that would be the case, he would just pass it to Harry.

I think William is very emotional. I think you could tell by his face when they arrived at the Chapel, he looked very shy but so happy at the same time. He's built a very beautiful family for himself and I think he's very proud of what he have.

I think William is very emotional. I think you could tell by his face when they arrived at the Chapel, he looked very shy but so happy at the same time. He's built a very beautiful family for himself and I think he's very proud of what he have.

I agree. It was an intimate picture. He looked moved because it was a touching moment at the end of what was probably a slightly stressful day.

George VI didn't want to be King and Elizabeth II hoped for a brother so she wouldn't have to be Queen. They both sucked it up and did their job. William appears to be used to the idea by now and accepts it will happen.

How do you know the Queen is not a warm and Fuzzy person? Have you ever met her? Have you ever visited her in private in Balmoral? No. You can't judge how she may be in private by her Public appearance! She has to act a certain way in public.

By the way The Queen Grandchildrens would all disagree with you. Prince William, Prince Harry, Eugenie and Beatrice have all commented how the Queen is a Doting and warm Grandmother in private. There are pictures of the Queen holding her grandchildrens and you can tell she a proud Grandmother. Also in one picture The Queen is looking at Prince George with a smile.

That doesn't sound like someone who is not warm and fuzzy! Stop trying to make The Queen out to be Stiff and Grumpy person because she is far from it. She is a lovable Grandmother and great grandmother.

Because, her son, Charles, has said she is not, publicly, in his biography. I never said she didn't love them in her fashion, she is not warm and fuzzy. You know nothing, personally, either.

George VI didn't want to be King and Elizabeth II hoped for a brother so she wouldn't have to be Queen. They both sucked it up and did their job. William appears to be used to the idea by now and accepts it will happen.

At Age 11 Queen Victoria (then he Princess of Kent) was looking at a Family Tree soon after the death of King George VI and when she was told that she was now in next line for the Throne she started to cry.

Because, her son, Charles, has said she is not, publicly, in his biography. I never said she didn't love them in her fashion, she is not warm and fuzzy. You know nothing, personally, either.

Charles has written a biography? When?

Maybe not. But i know what i heard from The Queen Grandchildren's And they said she is a Warm, Doting and loving Grandmother. Also to be and some had said the same The Queen was a different mother with Charles and Anne then with Andrew and Edward. She was kind of distant with her first two kids when they were younger but she came to the throne at a young age later on when Andrew and Edward were born she was able to be more of a Mother with them after she had been on the throne for awhile. It has been said that The Queen had two families one before she became Queen (Charles and Anne) and then another she came to the throne(Edward and Andrew)

And Charles never wrote a biography!

First off, Charles has not written his own biography (at least to my knowledge). If there's something I'm missing, please enlighten me, because I'd love to get my hands on that book. And, from the clips that I've seen of Her Majesty with her grandchildren, it seems that she's indeed a warm, and loving grandparent, so perhaps your assumption may be a little bit off.

I believe The Prince of Wales enjoyed the company of a warm and loving mother during his childhood, as we can see here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79TrhSzMXA

I can also remember The Duke of York saying that he and his siblings never felt neglected because their mother was The Queen.

The rumours about The Queen being a distant and cold mother and grandmother are a stupid nonsense

Last edited:
I believe The Prince of Wales enjoyed the company of a warm and loving mother during his childhood, as we can see here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79TrhSzMXA

I can also remember The Duke of York saying that he and his siblings never felt neglected because their mother was The Queen.

The rumours about The Queen being a distant and cold mother and grandmother are a stupid nonsense

This was a great, and insightful video. I have a feeling that the press has taken what Charles said (or didn't say) out of context, and created this issue. As to Her Majesty not holding baby George, I have a feeling the reasons behind that decision don't have anything to do with her not being 'warm and fuzzy'. Maybe the baby doesn't know his great-granny all that well, and feels uncomfortable being held by her. I don't think anyone wanted a fussy infant during a photo shoot. Or, perhaps, as someone mentioned, she did get to hold him, and there are pictures, but due to the wishes of the family, those will remain private. There are so many reasons, but just because the picture wasn't released, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or that the baby didn't get a snuggle from his great-grandmother.

It's like the The Times interview. I bet Prince Charles regrets doing it now because he had deny things taken out of context.

This was a great, and insightful video. I have a feeling that the press has taken what Charles said (or didn't say) out of context, and created this issue. As to Her Majesty not holding baby George, I have a feeling the reasons behind that decision don't have anything to do with her not being 'warm and fuzzy'. Maybe the baby doesn't know his great-granny all that well, and feels uncomfortable being held by her. I don't think anyone wanted a fussy infant during a photo shoot. Or, perhaps, as someone mentioned, she did get to hold him, and there are pictures, but due to the wishes of the family, those will remain private. There are so many reasons, but just because the picture wasn't released, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, or that the baby didn't get a snuggle from his great-grandmother.

You may very well be correct. They may have taken 100's of photos and only chose the best ones for publication. Taking photos with an infant is not very predictable.

This was a great, and insightful video. I have a feeling that the press has taken what Charles said (or didn't say) out of context, and created this issue. As to Her Majesty not holding baby George, I have a feeling the reasons behind that decision don't have anything to do with her not being 'warm and fuzzy'.

The Queen looks rather fragile to me.
I probably shouldn't say this but I think she looks unwell.

:sad:Perhaps William is looking the way he does in this picture is because he is thinking of his mother, I bet he wishes his mother was alive to hold his son and yes even after all these years he still has a sadness in him at times when he realizes again that she isn't here. William loved his mother deeply and I believe it really took something out of him when she died. I believe also that with Catherine he has found someone who understands him, and gives him the type of down to earth family life that he hadwith his mother and not his father. PC was brought up in a very formal setting and Diana wanted the children to know all walks of life, not just the royal side. That is what he has with Catherine and her family the Middleton's. To this day I do believe that he has tears in his heart over his mother, he just rarely shows them. I think William and Catherine make a great team and the love that is being shown between her and her son is *Priceless* while William just seems sad because he wants his mother there.

I'm starting to think that perhaps one of the reasons we did not get a picture of the Queen holding her great grandson was that the family (and that includes great granny) felt that it was a private, intimate ceremony where the focus is mainly on George and his parents.

HM was there as great granny and not HM The Queen and that's what they wanted to express with the pictures. Even with the monarch and her three heirs, William was holding George. Perhaps they felt that if HM was holding George, it would put less emphasis on Charles and William? It didn't bother me in the least that we didn't get a photo of HM holding George but I'd bet my last donut that the morning after George came home from the hospital and HM visited the family at Nottingham Cottage, HM got up close and personal with him and cuddled him. :D

Aw, the newest photo is adorable, and IMO one of the best. George's smile is very sweet. :wub:

Changing the subject slightly, one other thing that surprised me was how there weren't any videos of bits of the reception or the official photos being taken; IIRC there were videos of those at William, Harry and Zara's christenings, I'm not too sure about Beatrice or Eugenie's.

As for the newly released one, thought we were getting two? But Catherine looks just as posed and practised as the previous family picture, William looks the best I've seen him in the photo.

I thought we were going to get two as well. Perhaps a second photo had been taken, but William and Catherine thought it belonged in the family photo album instead of in the papers/websites. Or perhaps they didn't take a second photo at all.

Last edited:
Let's stay on topic...this thread is about George's christening not about whether or not William wants to be King, if Charles wrote a book, etc.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

I too thought we would get some video of the reception after the christening. I guess when the Cambridge's mean it was a private occasion, they meant it.

Back
Top Bottom