The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
There are fewer choices than one might think. 1st requirement is that the Queen is there and she is in London that week. In fact she is holding a reception at Buckingham Palace on the same day. 2nd - it should be a private space and that IMO would prevent the use of a public place of worship. This isn't a couple that would ask for Westminster Abbey or St Paul's to be closed. This is a royal chapel place within the confines of SJP. 3rd - secure; 4th easy for royals and other guests to get to and to any reception/photo call afterwards - rooms available in SJP or CH.

Great choice, and I do like the fact that the baby is getting christened in a church
You make a good point. It may be that there are happy memories of the chapel. They lived in the palace with their father and they had offices there until recently.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Majesty

I believe it is actually possible for people to enter the Chapel Royal from inside St James' Palace and it is connected to Clarence House so it is possible that there will be very little chance to see any royals arriving which will suit this couple who value their privacy above everything else.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Gentry

Good choice. It's not like this is breaking any sort of set-in-stone tradition. IMO this enhances it. SJP has a lot of history. It's not like they chose to do it in the Middletons' backyard.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is good news, now I cannot wait to find out who his godparents are and the lovely photo of the 4 generations! I hope the Queen is holding little George in the photo.

I think it's nice that they are christening him at St James' Palace, as it's different. Beatrice was christened there, but Eugenie was christened at Sandringham wasn't she? Louise and James were christened at Windsor I think.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I believe it is actually possible for people to enter the Chapel Royal from inside St James' Palace and it is connected to Clarence House so it is possible that there will be very little chance to see any royals arriving which will suit this couple who value their privacy above everything else.
Yeah, but it stinks for those of us who want to see what the ladies are wearing.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Nobility

Are christenings not performed on Sundays only? On Wednesdays, too?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

Prince George Christening page
SELDA's ROYAL: PRENS GEORGE VAFT
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Majesty

Christenings can happen on any day of the week - and when it is a private christening even more so.

When Christenings happen in a normal service Sunday is the normal day - as happened with Savannah who was baptised in a regular service but George will be the only baby and as the Archbishop is to perform the ceremony it is also better that is it done on a day when he is free.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I concur. Calling christenings in the Music Room a tradition was a bit of an overstatement from my side But I still think it would have been nice if they had chosen that location for George's christening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I think that's because we only get to know the names of Danish Royal babies at the christening.
Well, it's part of, but far from the only reason why people tune in to watch it (I doubt people would spend 1(+) hour(s) watching a christening just to hear the names, especially nowadays when news are so easily accessible). Our Royal Family means a lot to most Danes and I'm fairly certain that people would watch the christening even if we all knew the names beforehand

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Majesty

I think we may see some arrivals and departures of the families and their guest. I think we will be getting some footage of the family and godparents for the official pictures.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

We will probably get similar to William 's with the photos of the family and godparents and video of the posing but nothing from the actual ceremony.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a pretty chapel, nicer than the music room at BP, imo.

I wonder if they'll have a lunch or something at Clarence House after?
(Don't know if I heard this correctly, but they are planning to have 60 guests?)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Majesty

I think there will a reception or probably a lunch afterwards.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
the Queen .... is holding a reception at Buckingham Palace on the same day.
Could this be one of the reasons that the christening will be held at SJP?

The room/s will be set up for the reception and not available.

Another reason for SJP, might be, that while staying at York House & later Clarence House William worshiped/prayed at Chapel Royal and he liked/is familiar with the chapel and it's layout.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Courtier

Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
Are christenings not performed on Sundays only? On Wednesdays, too?
The church website says christenings are "usually on a Sunday," which would imply that there are some performed on other days.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Nobility

Were it my choice, i'd have chosen The Queens Chapel at St James's Palace. An exquisite architectural jewel by Englands first classical architect {Inigo Jones} which far eclipses the Chapel Royal in beauty.

Nevertheless their choice is apt and appropriate for them.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Majesty

The Royal Mint
BREAKING NEWS - With the date confirmed for the christening of Prince George of Cambridge on 23 Oct, we can now reveal some exciting news of our own - the announcement of the first ever UK coins to celebrate a royal christening, with special new designs that have been approved by the Prince's parents and The Queen. More news to come next week!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=d6ca1c516c

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

In the first video at the end, Princess Anne is talking about the boys in the family not being as 'involved' as the girls - or something like that. To what is she referring? It wasn't entirely clear to me.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Majesty

I wasn't clear on Anne's comments either.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
christening, prince george of cambridge