Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKCambridgeConjugalArmsmedium.jpg

The Christening of HRH Prince George of Cambridge

Wednesday 23 October 2013
at
The Chapel Royal, St James's Palace

:crown5:

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will christen their son Prince George on Wednesday, 23rd October at The Chapel Royal, St James’s Palace.

@RE_DailyMail: Prince George will be christened by The Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby.

@RE_DailyMail: The christening will also see the release of a rare family picture: a monarch and three heirs to the throne

@SkyNewsRoyal: #royal for those asking, i'm told details such as Godparents likely to be released much closer to the time #George

@SkyNewsRoyal: #royal for those asking, i'm told details such as Godparents likely to be released much closer to the time #George

@Judy_Wade: Choice of the Chapel Royal pleases the CofE hierarchy who believe it should take place in a church or chapel not Buck Palace.

@Judy_Wade: The christening will take place at 11am and end at 12.30pm

@Judy_Wade: Chapel Royal was the resting place of Princess Diana the night before her funeral

Last edited:
This is now being posted on 3 threads!

Great. I suspect the speculation of who the god parents are will notch up now.

Well, I had a feeling that announcement would be coming soon. So excited and I'm looking forward to the videos (hopefully) and pictures. Such a beautiful and touching time for the Cambridge's and their families.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 8m
After the christening, it's likely photos and footage will be taken of the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George

Royal christenings are traditionally private affairs-
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-09-27/royal-christenings-are-traditionally-private-affairs/

25 years since last royal christening at St James's Palace-
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-09-27/25-years-since-last-royal-christening-at-st-jamess-palace/

Last edited:
Good to know that a date for Prince George's christening has been announced. I'm looking forward into seeing photos of it and finding out who the godparents will be. I'm thinking of going to the area around St James's on the 23rd so that I can get a glimpse of the guests arriving and or leaving.

Daily Mail article on the christening:

Prince George is to be christened by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev Justin Welby, on Wednesday October 23 at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace, it was announced today.
A statement released by Kensington Palace today said that Prince William and Catherine were 'pleased to announce' the date of the christening at the royal residence in Pall Mall.
The statement read: 'Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are pleased to announce the christening of Prince George will take place on Wednesday, 23rd October at The Chapel Royal, St James’s Palace.

BREAKING NEWS: Prince George will be christened by Archbishop of Canterbury at chapel ceremony next month | Mail Online

St James's Palace is attached to Clarence House so I would image the Cambridges will take George over to Grandpa Charles's house and put him in the christening gown there before walking over to SJP.

Cool. Great news to here, Can't wait to see Photos and maybe videos.

Hopefully we will get a Four Generation Photo. Which is one everyone is looking forward too.

Hopefully we will get a Four Generation Photo. Which is one everyone is looking forward too.

I'm very excited to see this photo. Thanks God this time the Queen in the photo will not be in eternal mourning. :whistling:

Great to have a date, can't wait for the generation picture, a shame it isn't a televised event (royal christenings are rather important to us Danes, they really gather the us around the television). Also, I don't know why I'm surprised that the christening isn't taking place at the Music Room of Buckingham Palace, I should learn not to expect traditional things from these two :D

Great to have a date, can't wait for the generation picture, a shame it isn't a televised event (royal christenings are rather important to us Danes, they really gather the us around the television).

I think that's because we only get to know the names of Danish Royal babies at the christening.:flowers:

Great to have a date, can't wait for the generation picture, a shame it isn't a televised event (royal christenings are rather important to us Danes, they really gather the us around the television). Also, I don't know why I'm surprised that the christening isn't taking place at the Music Room of Buckingham Palace, I should learn not to expect traditional things from these two :D

It's debatable how much of a tradition the Music Room is in the first place. While Charles and William were both christened there, there's never been a set "heirs are christened here" location, be it the Music Room or elsewhere.

I know of a great Brooklyn Italian caterer they can use for the christening. Great antipasto, sausage and peppers, huge white cake with blue roses in the shape of a crucifix.

I wouldn't say that there is a "tradition" of using the Music Room - of all the babies born since Queen Victoria's time only 4 have been christened in the music room (Charles, Anne, Andrew and William). More have been christened at Windsor or in the Private Chapel at BP which was destroyed in WWII.

According to the media tweets, it was a personal preference.

There are some articles speculating that they chose the chapel because that is where Diana rested before her funeral. William certainly wants to include his mother whenever possible, but it's hard to believe that there isn't another option with happier memories. On the other hand, it could be that he feels her presence there.

There are some articles speculating that they chose the chapel because that is where Diana rested before her funeral. William certainly wants to include his mother whenever possible, but it's hard to believe that there isn't another option with happier memories. On the other hand, it could be that he feels her presence there.

There are fewer choices than one might think. 1st requirement is that the Queen is there and she is in London that week. In fact she is holding a reception at Buckingham Palace on the same day. 2nd - it should be a private space and that IMO would prevent the use of a public place of worship. This isn't a couple that would ask for Westminster Abbey or St Paul's to be closed. This is a royal chapel place within the confines of SJP. 3rd - secure; 4th easy for royals and other guests to get to and to any reception/photo call afterwards - rooms available in SJP or CH.

Great choice, and I do like the fact that the baby is getting christened in a church

I don't think they chose the chapel just because of that but I think their doing things their own way.

I'm glad they are bringing some attention to St. James's Palace though. The royals try to use it for receptions, meetings and official dinners but I think people sometimes forget that the Palace is actually The Queen's Official Court and not Buckingham Palace. I think it's refreshing to see the future King will be christened there.

Gracie Giraffe, you absolutely wow me with your Italian caterer. They could do worse.

Cepe, I agree, I like it that George is to be christened in a church. I read the historical link to Carolyn Harris, on the history of this chapel and others, and it's fascinating, I think. And makes a connection by proximity to the place where Prince Charles lives. Making connections to the future royal family configuration.

If they had only followed the Swedes or Danes or whoever it was that names their babies at the christening, we could be still debating over the names of George. By now we are quite engaged with George.

There are fewer choices than one might think. 1st requirement is that the Queen is there and she is in London that week. In fact she is holding a reception at Buckingham Palace on the same day. 2nd - it should be a private space and that IMO would prevent the use of a public place of worship. This isn't a couple that would ask for Westminster Abbey or St Paul's to be closed. This is a royal chapel place within the confines of SJP. 3rd - secure; 4th easy for royals and other guests to get to and to any reception/photo call afterwards - rooms available in SJP or CH.

Great choice, and I do like the fact that the baby is getting christened in a church

You make a good point. It may be that there are happy memories of the chapel. They lived in the palace with their father and they had offices there until recently.

I believe it is actually possible for people to enter the Chapel Royal from inside St James' Palace and it is connected to Clarence House so it is possible that there will be very little chance to see any royals arriving which will suit this couple who value their privacy above everything else.

Good choice. It's not like this is breaking any sort of set-in-stone tradition. IMO this enhances it. SJP has a lot of history. It's not like they chose to do it in the Middletons' backyard. :ROFLMAO:

This is good news, now I cannot wait to find out who his godparents are and the lovely photo of the 4 generations! I hope the Queen is holding little George in the photo.

I think it's nice that they are christening him at St James' Palace, as it's different. Beatrice was christened there, but Eugenie was christened at Sandringham wasn't she? Louise and James were christened at Windsor I think.

I believe it is actually possible for people to enter the Chapel Royal from inside St James' Palace and it is connected to Clarence House so it is possible that there will be very little chance to see any royals arriving which will suit this couple who value their privacy above everything else.
Yeah, but it stinks for those of us who want to see what the ladies are wearing.

Last edited:
Are christenings not performed on Sundays only? On Wednesdays, too?

Christenings can happen on any day of the week - and when it is a private christening even more so.

When Christenings happen in a normal service Sunday is the normal day - as happened with Savannah who was baptised in a regular service but George will be the only baby and as the Archbishop is to perform the ceremony it is also better that is it done on a day when he is free.

Well, I concur. Calling christenings in the Music Room a tradition was a bit of an overstatement from my side :D But I still think it would have been nice if they had chosen that location for George's christening.

I think that's because we only get to know the names of Danish Royal babies at the christening.:flowers:

Well, it's part of, but far from the only reason why people tune in to watch it (I doubt people would spend 1(+) hour(s) watching a christening just to hear the names, especially nowadays when news are so easily accessible). Our Royal Family means a lot to most Danes and I'm fairly certain that people would watch the christening even if we all knew the names beforehand ;)

I think we may see some arrivals and departures of the families and their guest. I think we will be getting some footage of the family and godparents for the official pictures.

Back
Top Bottom