Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is one calm kid, he didn't seem to get upset about anything. One of the reasons I am glad George is a boy and so far looks like his mom or a mixture is because of those people who constantly want Diana in everything WillnKate. It's like some people won't be happy unless William carries a sign over his head that says "Diana's son". This is not about Diana or the Spencer's this is George's day.

Photos of Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George. The photos of Philip, Charles and William are at the same age (or close) George is right now:

The Photo of Philip and Charles and William are all from their Christening.

Thank you for these wonderful photos!!! I especially appreciate the first one as I have such an interest in Prince Phillip's mother, I am reading about her and she is so intriguing to me.:)

I was quite surprised that we saw so much of Prince George - lovely to see his little arms waving around. In looking at the posted baby photos his close set features look like baby Charles to me, his ears look like baby Phillip, and his cheeks look like baby William.
In regards to the lack of George's great Aunts and Uncles, having the whole crew would have added 13 people including Uncle Gary. Has William attended the christenings for any of his Spencer cousins? I'm not familiar w/ British customs, but how many people would normally be expected to attend? Prince George will one day be the head of the Anglican church and I assume the christening was especially important and moving for this reason.

I think it's lovely that they chose from among their friends for godparents, instead of the usual collection of royals that are not really part of the family that will be around baby George as he grows.

I imagine that the Queen was probably consulted on the choices of godparents and gave final approval? I know Will has been insistent on doing many things "his way" but I wonder when it comes to things like godparent selection, how much of this was done on approval by the Queen? Is she loosening up in her later years, recognizing the changes of the times?

Harry, Pippa and James would have been the convenient choice but they will already be a big part of George's life just by virtue of being aunts and uncles, so I like that Will and Kate really put some thought into selecting people who could help provide George a more "well-rounded" circle of trusted friends/advisors. Zara, I think, was a sentimental choice, a favorite of the Queen and a cousin who has always been very close to Will.

I thought the selection of Julia Samuel was William's way of remembering his mother.

Totally agree. I think it was William remembering the mother he knew, as opposed to the Diana, Princess of Wales, that we knew. Putting his stamp on things. JMHO. :flowers:

I'm not familiar w/ British customs, but how many people would normally be expected to attend?

It differs from family to family. There's no hard and fast rule but the choice William & Kate made of immediate family and godparents only is not unusual.

I agree with others that the choice of Julia Samuel was William's nod to his mother. I think it was very appropriate and a nice choice.

George is one cute little baby! At first glance I thought he looked exactly like his father, but he definitely has some of his mother's features, too, and I think he'll have her colouring. William and Kate both looked very proud of him!

I saw a photo comparison on Twitter earlier of Catherine (baby photo ) and George - I don't do baby 'who do they look like' but I did actually have to take a double take.

I would try and find it but I have been working for 16 hours and had one or two bevvies!!

Before I pass out in my lovely comfy bed a couple of my opinions:

How many Godparents:

I have 3 Godparents - my God daughter has 8. Is there a set amount - last time I checked it is 'suggested' 2 males and 1 female for a boy or 2 females and 1 male for a girl but who cares, as long as all of the Godparents do their duty of ensuring the child follows in the path of God.

How many guests:

I have been to many a morning service when a child has been Christened and there have been a couple of guests up to 10-30 guests; at my God Daughters Christening it was a private ceremony and there were about 60 guests; at my private service (I was 11 and my parents decided to let me make the decision) there were 10 guests - no aunts, uncles, etc.

Was it what the public wanted:

Well by a few of the comments, NO but it wasn't the public's day - it was Prince George's day!! The family and guests looked extremely happy, so that's what matters.

Yes, this maybe a future king being Christened but it is also the son of a mother and father who have decided what they want for their son (and I seriously doubt it would have happened if the Queen didn't approve!!) and yes they have decided to feed everyone the top tier of their wedding cake!! :whistling:

I'll shut up now before I get banned!!

I thought George looks like William except his eyes are his mom's.

He didn't cry or fuss even with all the strangers & photographers snapping nearby.

Kate looked like a confident mom. William like a nervous dad.

Kate nailed it in every way.

Does anyone know the name/position of the clergy in aqua? He complimented George to Carole & the Middletons.

The RF except William & Kate were upset leaving the chapel.
Apparently Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London upset them.

Charles told the Bishop of London, "You raised your voice."
The bishop replied, "I do that with all my children."

Camilla and the Queen were very upset. Zara avoided him when she exited the chapel.

Does anyone know why he was there? I thought only the Archbishop of Canterbury would perform the service.

Last edited:
There were 23 guests in total: 5 Royals, 4 Middletons, and the 7 godparents and their spouses. The only extended family members to be included were the Tindalls, as Zara is a godparent. None of William's aunts or uncles (M-W or Spencer) or Catherine's aunts or uncles were present.

22 guests and 7 royals actually, Catherine, William, Henry, Camilla, Charles, DOE, The Queen.

I The RF except William & Kate were upset leaving the chapel. Apparently Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London upset them. Charles told the Bishop of London, "You raised your voice." The bishop replied, "I do that with all my children." Camilla and the Queen were very upset. Zara avoided him when she exited the chapel. Does anyone know why he was there? I thought only the Archbishop of Canterbury would perform the service.

How do you know this?

Last edited:
22 guests and 7 royals actually, Catherine, William, Henry, Camilla, Charles, DOE, The Queen.

The 23, which I got from someone else earlier in this discussion, is based on the idea that each of the 7 godparents brought a spouse - it's cut down to 22 as Earl Grosvenor isn't married (I'm assuming he didn't get a plus one as Harry, Pippa, and James didn't). However, someone else has pointed out that the nanny was there, which would bump things up to 23 again if we consider her a guest.

That said, while there were 8 royals in attendance, only 5 were guests - the Queen, the DoE, Charles, Camilla, and Harry. William, Catherine, and George were not guests, but they would bring numbers up to 25/26 (depending on the nanny). Then of course there was also the clergy members...

Does anyone know when the official pictures will be published?

Lumutqueen

It's on the departure video from ITNSource. It's at the very beginning.

Camilla is upset, as is the Queen, Phillip, and Charles. Harry is unhappy.

I was thinking maybe they were worried that the Bishop may make George cry and they won't be able to quiet him down before the Queen has to leave for her next engagement and so that photos will be of a crying baby.

Home - ITNSource News

Last edited:
I thought George looks like William except his eyes are his mom's.

He didn't cry or fuss even with all the strangers & photographers snapping nearby.

Kate looked like a confident mom. William like a nervous dad.

Kate nailed it in every way.

Does anyone know the name/position of the clergy in aqua? He complimented George to Carole & the Middletons.

The RF except William & Kate were upset leaving the chapel.
Apparently Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London upset them.

Charles told the Bishop of London, "You raised your voice."
The bishop replied, "I do that with all my children."

Camilla and the Queen were very upset. Zara avoided him when she exited the chapel.

Does anyone know why he was there? I thought only the Archbishop of Canterbury would perform the service.

First I've heard of this. Where did you see hear it?

Second, according to the articles and press releases, he's the Dean of The Chapel Royal, therefore it's his parish so to speak. It would odd for him not to be there even though he wasn't the one performing ceremony, since it's his "pastoral charge". At least that's how I understand it.

Regarding godparents, Zara totally took me by surprise as I was expecting neither her or Peter and spouses to attend since Anne wasn't attending. What also took me by surprise was that Harry and Pippa weren't chosen. I was correct about a van Cutsem being on the list, but I thought of Hugh instead of William.

Here's a link to some HQ photos: MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Yeah I thought the same but was happy with Zara as a choice!

I don't expect that many people will actually eat that cake; it's just there to keep up the tradition. (I wouldn't want to eat fruitcake if it was freshly-baked, because I just don't like it).

I'm sure they'll serve other desserts at the reception.
Em no, I shouldn't think so.

Very surprised and saddened that Diana's family were not represented at the Christening. A Spencer cousin as a godparent would have been a lovely tribute to William's mother. Can't believe that he went out of his way to give Kate Diana's engagement ring but on such an important day like today there seemed to be no inclusion of her. A bit of a shame and so out of character for William.
This is the Christening of a child and those present as Godparents etc. are those who are part of the parent's lives. People they respect and hopefully people who would actually fulfill the role of Godparent as set down in the CofE Book of Common Prayer. That is to say, they will encourage the child to be raised in the faith. No bit parts for hangers on in the Service.

So, while we wile away the time waiting for the first official HM, Charles, William and George portrait I think I'll weigh in on the cake (no pun intended).

I have to admit to giggling about the surmises about the cake, it's state, and if it was even healthy let alone edible. Now that really cracked me up and like many small things, emphasises the cultural gap between the UK (and much of the Commonwealth) and North America.

I have seen lots of video of the bride and groom feeding, or all too often shoving a slice of wedding cake in each other's face at weddings in the USA. To me it looked like it was almost like sponge cake with fondant or butter icing. A year or more down the road, freezer or no, I wouldn't be a starter for a slice but, with a traditional wedding cake such as is common in the UK and certainly still here in good old NZ, then oh yeah, I'm there, head of the queue! Brandy, etc. are really good at preserving and enhancing the taste of those traditional delicacies. Same goes for Christmas Cake and Christmas Pudding!

I shall contemplate the joys of such things while we continue to wait . . .

Em no, I shouldn't think so.

This is the Christening of a child and those present as Godparents etc. are those who are part of the parent's lives. People they respect and hopefully people who would actually fulfill the role of Godparent as set down in the CofE Book of Common Prayer. That is to say, they will encourage the child to be raised in the faith. No bit parts for hangers on in the Service.

So, while we wile away the time waiting for the first official HM, Charles, William and George portrait I think I'll weigh in on the cake (no pun intended).

I have to admit to giggling about the surmises about the cake, it's state, and if it was even healthy let alone edible. Now that really cracked me up and like many small things, emphasises the cultural gap between the UK (and much of the Commonwealth) and North America.

I have seen lots of video of the bride and groom feeding, or all too often shoving a slice of wedding cake in each other's face at weddings in the USA. To me it looked like it was almost like sponge cake with fondant or butter icing. A year or more down the road, freezer or no, I wouldn't be a starter for a slice but, with a traditional wedding cake such as is common in the UK and certainly still here in good old NZ, then oh yeah, I'm there, head of the queue! Brandy, etc. are really good at preserving and enhancing the taste of those traditional delicacies. Same goes for Christmas Cake and Christmas Pudding!

I shall contemplate the joys of such things while we continue to wait . . .

Here in Canada too. Although up here, the shall we say US version of Wedding Cakes are far more common these days. I've noticed a trend where there'll versions of both though. Don't know about NZ, but the type of liquor used depended on the co,our of the cake. A lighter one always had Brandy and darker ones used Rum. Not if that's a Canadian thing or Regional, but that's how things were when I was growing up. :)

And I'll stop because Zonk did provide us w/a link to go and talk about stuff like this. We really should head over there to continue this. :)

Lumutqueen

I was thinking maybe they were worried that the Bishop may make George cry and they won't be able to quiet him down before the Queen has to leave for her next engagement and so that photos will be of a crying baby.

Home - ITNSource News
Didn't get the impression that Harry was unhappy but it did strike me that most of the guests were couples and Harry was walking alone.
As to the exchanges as the family exited - I think it is difficult to pick up everything to make an accurate judgement about any displeasure, although I must agree there did seem to be some reticence to make small talk - perhaps it was having the camera/microphone present.

Hugh G. is the heir to Duke of Westminster and his mum is William's godmother.

Not only that...he is also their cousin.

Among other lines,Prince Philipp's great-grandfather Grand Duke Konstantin Nicholaievich is a brother of Hugh's great-great-great grandfather Grand Duke Mikhail Nicholaievich of Russia...

Not just that,Queen Elizabeth II's great-great-great-grandmother Princess Henriette von Nassau-Weilburg is a sister of Hugh's ancestor Prince Friedrich Wilhelm von Nassau-Weilburg...

Last edited:
Catherine's smile leaves me savoring it all. I wish all those magistrates happen to champion in familiarity or unison our modest, sincerest inclusions of shining and nodding upon the littlest of arrivals we bestow our cheering. Catherine's acceptance by Will and the Queen's children and her Middleton side unto renewal of rights given and breadth of life taken only leave one more astounded of memorable such past nostalgias I and we have all never let have gone from. Therefore I will never leave far from this sight of glamour and revealing beauty that is where I find the Royals. I'm sure Diana just the same may look at our living as especially in this occasion of gathering of her children and watching from above, us all as we know she may, that we are more pressing because of her and yet less inadequate because of her and her various ancestors that christen and make up family a sort of memory tirelessly unforgettable. I love the Windsors and may they follow the unimaginable in their stature of highness where they can glance on us all. Cheers and if I may say Hip Hip Hooray Prince George you lucky undeniably handsome miracle powerful soul!!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!!!

I really like the way they handled this christening. George is a very cute baby!

He looked very comfortable and quiet in parents arms
Surprized not one cry,nothing publicly

Lumutqueen

Home - ITNSource News
I just rewatched the departure and I don't see any indication of a problem. Charles and Philip seemed to share a laugh as they walked out. The queen was trying to find something in her purse, but she didn't seem upset. Charles was laughing when he said "you raised your voice," which I assume means George demonstrated his strong lungs at one point. The few seconds that I could see Harry's face, he didn't look unhappy. He and Camilla weren't beaming, but neither seemed particularly upset, they just weren't smiling during the seconds the cameras were on their faces.

Regarding Zara, it's been a while since I was six month pregnant, but she may have been a little uncomfortable and just wanted to get inside Charles house.

Lumutqueen

Home - ITNSource News
I don't know how you are interpreting all this from that video. Charles made a comment, the Bishop responded and everyone laughed, including Camilla. The Queen and Prince Phillip looked and behaved as they always do and didn't look the least upset. No one looked upset in the least.

Among other lines, Prince Philipp's great-grandfather Grand Duke Konstantin Nicholaievich is a brother of Hugh's great-great-great grandfather Grand Duke Mikhail Nicholaievich of Russia...

Not just that,Queen Elizabeth II's great-great-great-grandmother Princess Henriette von Nassau-Weilburg is a sister of Hugh's ancestor Prince Friedrich Wilhelm von Nassau-Weilburg...

Hugh, Earl Grosvenor descends, like George of Cambridge, from Prince Nicolas of Russia via great-grandfather Prince Philip. Lowther Pinkerton, Emilia d'Erlanger, William Van Cutsem and Justin Portal Welby descended from the same lineage as the Spencers.

Le prince Georges of Cambridge et ses parrains | Angevin genealogies et royales

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom