Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I reiterate that I have no problems with the Middletons being in a group photo that is made public? My objection would be to just the Middeltons as they are the non-royal grandparents and as such are very important to George of course but not to the public and the public side of George's family.

So a photo of the Middleton's with Charles and Camilla is fine just as one of George with Charles and Camilla alone is fine but one of George with just the Middlton's and no royals should be kept for the private albums just as one with just Camilla should be for the private albums. I am not saying that these photos shouldn't be taken - only that they shouldn't be made public.

Blood does not make a family. Camilla is going to be in this child's life and she and Carole will be the grandmothers he grows up with. He will learn, of course, about the fact they are not blood kin but will it really matter that much if he grows to love her as family? Emotions can't normally be turned on and off like that

Blood does not make a family. Camilla is going to be in this child's life and she and Carole will be the grandmothers he grows up with. He will learn, of course, about the fact they are not blood kin but will it really matter that much if he grows to love her as family? Emotions can't normally be turned on and off like that

I agree. Prince George is lucky to have such a wonderful woman like the Duchess of Cornwall as one of his grandmothers.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Lumutqueen;1604666

(maybe that's William's new gap year job? ;)), they need help.

Love it Lumutqueen

Any guesses for a menu? Are their particular traditions that come with after creating luncheon?

Can I reiterate that I have no problems with the Middletons being in a group photo that is made public? My objection would be to just the Middeltons as they are the non-royal grandparents and as such are very important to George of course but not to the public and the public side of George's family. So a photo of the Middleton's with Charles and Camilla is fine just as one of George with Charles and Camilla alone is fine but one of George with just the Middlton's and no royals should be kept for the private albums just as one with just Camilla should be for the private albums. I am not saying that these photos shouldn't be taken - only that they shouldn't be made public.

I agree overall with what you've said on this issue (both in this post and earlier ones), although I have a question: when William or Harry (or any of the grandchildren) were christened did we get a picture of just QEII, the DoE, and the child? I know that when they got older there were pictures of just the pair of them and their grandchildren, but I can't say that I've seen any from the christenings (although, I could have missed that).

Going further from that line of thinking, I almost think it would be better if they either released a photo of George with all his grandparents (no one else) and skipped releasing photos of him with each set of grandparents, or didn't release a set with just him and grandparents at all. While I think that both Camilla and the Middletons will each play important roles in George's life, I imagine that these photos can incite a possible rage and accusations that either Camilla or the Middletons are trying to steal some kind of position that they don't deserve. In my opinion, the three of them tend to play things a bit more safe than that.

I'd like to see:
- Just George,
- The Cambridges
- The four generations of monarchs
- Great-grandpa, grandpa, papa, and George
- Both sides of the family
- The godparents
- A group shot

Plus, depending on who all is there, it'd be cool if they took an opportunity to do HM, the DoE, and all their grandchildren.

William's christening had a photo of the Queen Mum holding baby William. It was also her birthday.

The only people that we will probably see only with George is William and Kate. Everybody else will be a group photo either godparents, grandparents or monarchs and monarchs to be.

Hopefully we will get posed shots of the Cambridges before the Christening

Seriously folks? Do I need to say anthing?

Let's get back on topic.

Too all the Middleton-haters: take note that at EVERY royal christening the "non-royal" grandparents have been included in photos distributed to us mere mortals. I suggest you look at the photos for the christenings of the Phillips children, the Yorks, and the Wessexes.

Sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the Christening is this month guys. I'm very excited about it but just imagine how excited William & Catherine are. They will baptize their son in the presence of their family and friends.

We just have to wait and see how William & Catherine will do this.

so back to the Christening... I wonder if the Cambridges will choose their son's christening to 'christen' their new home.

I know all the practical reasons why it could be hosted at Clarence House (proximity, staffing, parking, security, etc)..... but here is a couple who finally have their own new home and what bride wouldn't want to show to their nearest and dearest.

I think taking the christening out of BP gave them the flexibility to host the luncheon/ reception after. It just seems so them to want to do this themselves. Of course Antonella will have full access to the staffs and resources at BP and CH.

I expect 3 photos... Will, Kate and George, Family and Godparents and 4 generations

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

As a fellow adoptee, Osipi I couldn't have put it better myself !

Never once in my life were my parents anything but REAL parents to me.

Too all the Middleton-haters: take note that at EVERY royal christening the "non-royal" grandparents have been included in photos distributed to us mere mortals. I suggest you look at the photos for the christenings of the Phillips children, the Yorks, and the Wessexes. Sheesh!

No one is saying that the Middletons shouldn't be included in the pictures, just that pictures of just George and the Middletons (or the Cambridges and the Middletons) should be kept private, as the Middletons are private individuals.

Pictures from other royal christenings have included the non-royal family in the group shot, but not had ones of just the non-royal family released. This is the way it should be as it enables the non-royals to continue to be private individuals and gives the child the chance to have that private family time. The Mountbatten-Windsors will always be George's very public family, the Middletons should be his private family. The Yorks, the Wessexes, the Phillips, etc, have all had that, so why should the Cambridges be denied it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignoring the rest of the discussion, perhaps we get a hint from the wedding photos. In one of the photos released, there was Camilla, Charles, Carole, Michael, Harry, Pippa, James, the Queen and Prince Philip, and the young bridesmaids and page boys.

I expect the official photos to include one with Charles, Camilla, Carole, James, Harry, Pippa, James, the Queen and Prince Philip, and the godparents not already mentioned. I also think (hope) we'll get the official photo with the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George--but I'll bet there is a private one already in existence.

Well, I did ask nicely.

Off topic and speculative posts that decided that it was necessary to resurrect that old Diana vs. Camilla chestnut will find their posts deleted. For the record, the topic of this thread is the christening of Prince George.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Any and all questions should be directed towards a member of the TRF moderation team via PM.

Zonk
British Forum Moderator

Last edited:
Just for a little historical context, here's my blog post on the 7 most controversial christenings in British royal history!

The 7 Most Controversial Royal Christenings | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Thank you, great read! I just hope that none of this will occur at P.George's christening :lol:
As for the photos, i'm sure we get the regular set, plus the four generations picture which i predict will in the media be often paired with that 4 generation photo when Q.Victoria was the matriarch

I must admit, that was a very good read. I think that everything will be just fine for this christening. This is a new generation and I believe that all the kinks will be or have been worked out. Godparents chosen, place of christening chosen, traditions being upheld, etc. Nothing could possibly go wrong other than the little Prince might cry through the whole thing or maybe soil his nappy. :)

As they only had (I think) 2 official pictures from their wedding and only 2 pictures of them with George released, I'm not expecting a lot this time.
Maybe we'll get 3:
One with baby, parents, grand-parents, aunts, uncles, Queen & Prince Philip
One with baby, parents and godparents
One with George, William, Charles and Elizabeth

There was 3 official wedding photos- just WK, WK with the little kids and the 2 families shot

+Philip (the last 3 generation pic was with Philip)
There will probably be one with Philip and Elizabeth with George I Bet, whether it made public who knows. But a Four Generations photo with Only The Queen, Prince Charles , Prince William and Prince George is more important in historical context because the last time a reigning monarch was alive to meet a Great Grandchild who was in direct line to the Throne was Queen Victoria in 1894 and that was the first time also up until now as Queen Elizabeth is now only the second monarch to meet a great Grandchild and loving with three direct successors (Future Kings)

Only Two Monarchs have lived to see the birth of a Grand Grandchild (Which kinds of surprises me but maybe not).

But a Few Queen Consorts have lived to see a Great Grandchild born:

Picture 1: Queen Mary with Prince Charles at Charles christening

Picture 2: The Queen Mother with Prince William at William christening

Queen Alexandra did meet some of her Great Grandchildrens but I could not find a picture of her with one of them

Attachments

• oct1.jpg
    oct1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 211
  • oct2.jpg
    oct2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Only Two Monarchs have lived to see the birth of a Grand Grandchild (Which kinds of surprises me but maybe not).

Queen Alexandra did meet some of her Great Grandchildrens but I could not find a picture of her with one of them

I found one here of Queen Alexandra and her great grandson

Queen Alexandra with her son, granddaughter and great-grandson | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

@Amaryllus. Well, you asked for a menu, so here goes. Firstly, I would be rather surprised if Charles hosted a lunch; more probably, he will host a canapé and champagne reception. Canapés to include smoked salmon sandwiches, pinwheel style, sprinkled with black caviar; crab salad in mini puff pastries; spicy prawn poppadoms; mini quiche lorraine; mini bacon-wrapped filet mignon; and--I have no name for this one--a pate, proscuitto, Brie, tomato, parsley melt on a baguette slice. On the side, slices of wedding cake and trays of fruit and cheese.

If there is a luncheon, I wouldn't be surprised if William and Kate hosted same, after the reception, at their new home, for a limited number of guests, namely, the godparents, their spouses, Harry, Pippa and James. Menu--a light salad, followed by chicken a la KING. Dessert, of course, would consist of gelato, care of Antonella, and finger cookies, gingerbread snaps--German heritage--and shortbread--British heritage.

Kidding aside, the four photos I would think most sensible, and sensitive, to release would be one of HMTQ, holding George, with William and Charles; one of HMTQ, Prince Philip, William, Kate and George, and in the background, Charles, Camilla, Mike and Carole; one of William, Kate and George, with godparents; one of William, Kate and George. This avoids controversy; grandparents and the sole step-grandparent are treated alike, altho Charles, quite properly, is the only grandparent included in the first photo.

My best guess is that there will be approximately 30 guests in attendance. This christening is obviously being kept very low-key, and very cheap. Maybe too cheap, given Georges importance to the future of the monarchy.

One other thing, and please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong, but I hear that the Chapel Royal was the very place that Kate was confirmed as a member of the Church of England in April, 2011, shortly before her wedding. If true, no wonder that George is being christened in the same venue.

What do you mean by too cheap? George is being christened in a royal chapel built by Henry VIII using a gold font that is part of the Crown Jewels in front of the sovereign and 2 future sovereigns by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

We are not going to know about the food and wine served except that they are using the top tier of the wedding cake. British royal christenings are private family events.

Last edited:
Alexandra's face looks a bit odd in this, but I still think it is one of the loveliest generation pictures ever taken, so regal and elegant. This one from Anne's christening is also great (perhaps they'll do one of Philip, Charles, William and George (the lads) as well as one of HM, Charles, William and George (the monarch + her heirs) at George's christening, I would love that).

Attachments

• article-2242405-1655A63C000005DC-983_634x847.jpg
    article-2242405-1655A63C000005DC-983_634x847.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
@Skippyboo. What I meant was that by comparison to Williams, this ceremony seems to be on the cheap side. My understanding is that there were some 60 guests present at Williams christening, despite the fact that Charles had far fewer friends than does William, at approximately the same age. William and Kate could easily invite 160 guests, if not more. Further, I quite doubt that Charles will lay on a luncheon for the occasion, although, to be sure, all 60 present at Williams christening, were treated to same. Of course, I could be wrong; time will tell.

George III had a great-grandchild born dead - the son of Princess Charlotte of Wales. So he was alive when a great-grandchild was born - just sadly born dead.

Back
Top Bottom