Christening of Prince George of Cambridge: October 23, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing we have to keep in mind too is that the Greek royals although deposed, are also family from the Duke of Edinburgh's side of the family. I think the BRF is on very close terms with them.
Yes I agree. They're not only family but seems to have a good relashionship with them.
It shows with the choosing of godparents, it seems it has become a tradition for both families.
The Prince of Wales is a Godfather of Crown Prince Pavlos.
HM The Queen EII is a Godmother of Princess Theodora (Pavlos' younger sister).
The Late Princess of Wales was a Godmother of Prince Phillippos (Pavlos' younger brother).
King Constantine is a Godfather of Prince William.
Prince William is a Godfather of Prince Constantine Alexios.
And again... The Prince of Wales is a Godfather of Princess Maria-Olympia (Daughter of CP Pavlos).

I don't know if I'm missing one, but I think that's it.
Besides that, they also live in London, and I think that matters as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't CP Pavlos make his home in the USA? If so, how does this Royal has-been, who may well be an American citizen--absolutely no offence meant to Americans-- and with whom William, let alone Kate, would appear to have no better than a negligible relationship, count? William and Kate have so many friends who do count that the selection of this Greek-American seems silly. It would smack of the iron-fisted, velvet-gloved Queen; an order from on high. It would smack of an old woman who thinks image is everything.

:previous:
Happy to correct you but firstly, why so rude? Really, not necessary.

He is family - and that matters. He is not a has-been - certainly not in royal circles. William knows them, is godfather to his son and therefore is is within the realms of possibility that he could be asked to be godfather to George.

Last edited by a moderator:
William has a relationship with Constantine who is his godfather and is godfather to Pavlos eldest son. It doesn't mean that Pavlos is going to be a godparent to George but due to the close relationships between the Greeks and Brf which have been noted by previous posts if there is a foreign royal, it maybe Pavlos compared to Fred, Haakon or Victoria.

The queen isn't going to demand the William and Kate name certain people. She is the one who told William to rip up the palace guest list for the wedding and start with his friends.

I will repeat my question. Does he, or does he not live in the USA? And if he does, how probable is it that Kate has any relationship with him? Or doesn't Kate count? I know that Dianas wishes were ignored, at Williams christening; has nothing changed?

I will repeat my question. Does he, or does he not live in the USA? And if he does, how probable is it that Kate has any relationship with him? Or doesn't Kate count? I know that Dianas wishes were ignored, at Williams christening; has nothing changed?

As far as I know Prince Pavlos and his family reside in London. The British royal family interact with no other royal family as closely as they do with the ex Greek. Mainly due to their proximity to one another and the relationship between Elizabeth and Constantine.

Not sure what the whole Catherine/Diana crap has to do with it. William and his wife will jointly pick who they wish to be the godparents of the future King.

It would smack of the iron-fisted, velvet-gloved Queen; an order from on high. It would smack of an old woman who thinks image is everything.

I don't quite understand this, what do you mean?

It would smack of the iron-fisted, velvet-gloved Queen; an order from on high. It would smack of an old woman who thinks image is everything.

Yes. And Papa Smurf rules the world. :lol:

We are playing 'who says the most stupid thing', right?

Reactions: Ish
According to Pavlos Wikipedia page,he lives in NY and London. Constantine is based in London. Interesting note from the Wikipedia, Palvos eldest son has William, Fred, Victoria and Felipe as godparents.

This is obviously trolling, so shouldn't really respond, but geographic distance has nothing to do with emotional distance and since you (obviously, otherwise you wouldn't ask) and I have no idea about the rekationship there is no point speculating about it

Choice for a godparent is not based on 'who lives nearest has the best shot'

Lumutqueen, I most sincerely hope that you are correct, and that William and Kate jointly pick Georges godparents. I am, however, cognizant of the fact, that according to William,himself, it was the Queen, and not he--he had a different uniform in mind--who ordered him to wear the uniform of the Irish Guards at his wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is from Twitter and therefore unreliable but appaently The Sunday Times is saying that Fergus Boyd (friend of William and shared house with William and Catherine at St Andrew's) is going to one of the godparents.

Can't see it on the Times site yet.

A little surprised, but, not too much if its true because people always said about them that loyality is very impt to them. Whoever it will be it will be an honor to be a godparent to a future king. I think we'll find out for sure the choices on wed( a week b4).

Bosom buddies become royal godparents | The Sunday Times

Link to the Sunday Times - limited access so I'm just trying to put together a summary (daresay it will be in the DM tomorrow)

SUMMARY

The decision by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to choose friends from their school and university days to be godparents to their son is just their latest break with royal tradition.
The couple have spurned the usual list of royal grandees and opted for relative unknowns: Boyd and Emilia d’Erlanger. They have been chosen along with Hugh van Cutsem, one of the duke’s oldest childhood friends, because they will be able to give George a sense of stability and normality as he grows up, according to royal sources.
The choices were made jointly by the couple and are in stark contrast to William’s own godparents at his christening in 1982: the former King Constantine of Greece, Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Lady Ogilvy, the Duchess of Westminster, Lady Susan Hussey, Lord Romsey and Sir Laurens van der Post.
The Cambridges have already moved the ceremony on October 23 from the traditional venue of the music room at Buckingham Palace to the more intimate Chapel Royal in St James’s Palace.

The couple’s choice of godparents sends a clear signal that for the younger royals it is friendship, not social status, that counts.
A royal source said: “They are rather unexpected off-the-wall choices for godparents — not the usual suspects of William’s closest friends who we anticipated. The two of them [the Cambridges] have carefully chosen and agreed them together.”
Boyd, 31, is a partner at the fund management firm Smith & Williamson and is a friend of William’s from Eton.
He was in the same St Andrews hall of residence as the couple during their first year and studied history of art with Kate. The three became firm friends, moving into a flat together during their second year where William and Kate’s relationship began.
For their final two years at university, Boyd also shared Balgove House with the couple. It was a rented farmhouse on the Strathtyrum Estate near St Andrews.
D’Erlanger, also 31, is the co-founder of d’Erlanger and Sloan, the London-based interior design company, and is a long-term friend of William as well as having known Kate since their schooldays at Marlborough College.
She maintained a close friendship with both William and Kate during their brief split in 2007 and accompanied Kate on holiday to Ibiza after the break-up.
Married to David Jardine- Paterson, the son of a Scottish landowner and another friend of William’s from Eton, she is understood to have been advising the duchess on the renovation of the couple’s new quarters in Kensington Palace.
The best known of the three, van Cutsem, 39, is one of the duke’s oldest friends, with close links to the royal family.
(His late father, also called Hugh, was a close friend of the Prince of Wales from their days at Cambridge University and Prince Charles attended his funeral last month with William and Harry.
William was an usher at Hugh van Cutsem’s wedding in 2005 to Rose Astor. He is also godfather to their daughter Grace, who was a flower girl at the royal wedding and almost stole the show when she covered her ears on the Buckingham Palace balcony as William and Kate kissed in front of cheering crowds.
Contenders for the three remaining godparents include Oliver Baker and Alasdair Coutts-Wood, both close friends from St Andrews, who also shared Balgove House with William and Kate.
Alicia Fox-Pitt, another of Kate’s Marlborough friends, could be in the running, together with Virginia Fraser and Olivia Bleasdale, who were both friends of the couple at St Andrews.
Among those who were strongly tipped but have now been ruled out are Thomas van Straubenzee and James Meade, joint best men at the Cambridges’ wedding, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, who until recently was principal private secretary to William, Kate and Harry, and Tiggy Pettifer, a former nanny to the princes.

Last edited:
on twitter someone said Hugh van cutsem and emilia are on it too. Not surprised with those two...I am sure there are 2 moore girls to even it out..

I like the way things seem to be shaping up as far as godparents go. It would seem very logical for them to choose people that were close to both William and Kate and by even living with them, they know each other well.

To me this tells me that they are taking the role of godparenting seriously and not as if its a popularity contest or who outranks who. I'm sure that over the years of George's growing up, whomever they pick will have a very active part in his life.

If the Times article is true with Hugh, Fergus and Emilia, the other 3 are not known. Perhaps they are family - Harry, Pippa and Zara?

Thanks cepe for posting the article! I appreciate it. :)

No point in feeding the troll, obviously someone is just looking for trouble :cool: :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting that article, cepe :flowers: A very interesting read indeed.

Last edited:
Is there any choice Prince Charles or even The Queen might be godparents? I know some Royal families do that (Spain and Norway to name a few) but the British have their own thing. Is it possible?

Hugh, Fergus and Emilia would not surprise me in the least. I predict Harry, Pippa and another one of Kate's friends.

We need 2 girls and a guy to even the numbers for the usual six godparents with equal gender numbers.

I do like the Zara Phillips suggestion in the Express article. She makes more sense that Beatrice. William always seemed closer to his Phillips cousins than his York cousins. He also did a reading with Harry at Zara's wedding.

In some way I'd like Camilla to be a godparent, but already dreading the discussions here and on other internet-forums when that happens ;-)

In some way I'd like Camilla to be a godparent, but already dreading the discussions here and on other internet-forums when that happens ;-)

or one of her children

I'd rather see one of Camilla's kids fill the role than Camilla. It would be a nice way to honour her, while also not putting her in the position of looking like she's trying to usurp someone else's position.

Camilla and Sarah Ferguson as godmothers would certainly turn conventional wisdom on its head. Although I'd have no problem with Camilla as a godmother, I think it is more likely that the 3 living grandparents and one of Diana's sisters will be asked.

Also, I am sure that Catherine, like Diana before her, will have a lot of input into the christening and the choice of godparents. Just because, in the midst of a breakup and while she was trying to destroy her ex-husband, Diana said she didn't have any input into the christening doesn't mean it is true.

I think the Queen, like all of us powerful women who enjoy wielding power, knows when to step back and pretend to let other people have their way. People are so much easier to control when they think they are making their own decisions.

Please note that off topic posts have been deleted. This thread is about the christening of Prince George and not about Queen Elizabeth's judgement, etc.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Wow, there are a lot of emotions that are sur
facting with this christening. Remember is is just a baby and his new parents.
i do believe that the godparents should be of a younger age, more the age of the parents.

Back
Top Bottom