Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
Last edited:
If it is true, there has to be a point when one of them says "So What!". There are cameras that can take your picture through a window from 1/2 mile away. If at the time you had a reasonable expectation of privacy, so what. The middle of an estate in France. Really people, Really?

Jeez, the paparazzi won't stop, won't they?

Are they trying to make Catherine look bad? How? Plenty of European women go topless while sunbathing, even in private. How is she any different?

LOL. It sure beats tan lines when you are wearing a long gown!:lol:

If this is true, it's a hideous invasion of her privacy and a horrible thing to do. There's no reason on earth she shouldn't sunbathe topless on private property on a vacation with her husband if she chooses to do so:

In the picture I saw on Closer she seems to be in a yacht, no invation of privacy at all if that´s the case. What I found annoying from the beginning, as I said in another thread, is that they took another vacation. I think that the excuse for not attending the paralympics was that he was supposed to be "working" on the base, wasn´t it? And they were in France.

They weren't on a yacht. They were on a private estate. The magazine states that the photos were taken on the terrace of a guest house in Luberon.

The pictures were a total invasion of their privacy. According to the palace, William and Kate were told about the photos this morning and they're upset. The palace said that they are considering legal action.

As for William's schedule, doesn't he get a few days off in between shifts? They were only on vacation for 3 days, so it's not like he couldn't go between his shifts.

Last edited:
I seriously hope this report about the topless photos of Catherine isn't true. She don't deserve to be treated like this.

:previous: No one deserves to be treated like that, if the truth were told. If this incident is indeed true, then it's a rather big breach in respecting their privacy. They were on a holiday (which was a smart move before their tour, during which they're running like chickens with their heads cut off not only from engagement to engagement, but also from country to country), and there's no need to publish (or take for that matter) any pictures of them. It's their time, and not the public's.

Geez! Cant they do anything about this? Come on, I swear the paparazzi will do anything for money! Its disgusting I tell you. What a stupid comment about how publishing the photos Harry wont feel alone now. What an idiotic thing to say! I swear sometimes these people need to be challenged in court or fined or SOMETHING! I know its freedom of the press but, really? Grrrrrr.

I think these next few days will be a big test of resilience for both Kate and William. There's no hiding place stuck in the middle of an overseas tour which has been going very well, and knowing that this will dominate media interest rather than the tour itself. No way can they show their feelings, just smile their way through each engagementI. I heard this morning on a news report that William and his aids are very interested in the rulings made in favour of Princess Caroline, but the damage is done and they need to show they have the inner strength to carry on regardless.

If true, think she should have kept her top on.
No topless sunbathing for the future queen of england. Outdoors especcially in the Provence after the toekissing pictures of fergie, perhaps somewhere else on a yacht in the middle of nowhere.

They do have a hippie attitude about their bodies, Harry nude in Vegas a little while ago.

Poor Kate, she must be so devastated; I hope they do sue, the bastards need to be taught that some things are not for sell.

This is just a disgrace. If these people can't expect privacy while on a private estate (which is apparently extremely secluded and private) belonging to one of their family members, where can they expect privacy?

I also thought that France was supposedly passionate about the privacy of individuals, even those who are in the public eye? Evidently this is not the case when it comes to British royals.

Nicholas Witchell is on the BBC right now reporting from Kuala Lumpur and says that he's never seen royal officials so angry as they are right now. William, in particular, is apparently outraged, which is probably not surprising given his disdain for the press even before this.

IF it is true, it is EXTREMELY stupid from Kate's side, and I can't believe it. Since 10 years now she knows very well that she is constantly pursued by papz, she should NEVER reduce her attention. The veranda of an hotel's room, is NOT a safe place, and W+K know it very well, so I think it is not true. She can not let herself topless in a veranda, IMPOSSIBLE.
Anyway, IF it is true we shall see the pics.

As regards the laws in France. I'm not a lawyer, but I do not know if the veranda of an hotel, (or house to hire) could be considered a private area.
20 years ago, the then husband of Pcs Stephanie, was cought having sex with a sexstar, outside a villa. The pictures made the tour of the world, and even IF against the law, they made their catastrophy. Stephanie has divorced.

Last edited:
This could have been any princess that we all love, Mary Mm, Charlene etc. The pictures emphasize a bigger issue and its not privacy. We love all of these women who in essence give up their anonymous lives to devote themselves to a country. When in all of that do they stop being human, because that is how people act like they have ceased to be human. We get to share their joys and sorrows and all of their triumphs, do we have to share in their bodyparts as well?? Catherine is a human being not an object. This breach of privacy is a lack of respect, which stems from the dehumanization of all of these lovely women. They're objects.
Clotheshorses stories photo opportunities.
Maybe I'm getting too deep.

It's time they prosecute the photo taker and the magazine publishing the photos -according to the link below it is a crime in France to take the photographs and it's a crime to publish them. Maybe the money won't seem so important to these vermin if a few of them spend a year in jail cooling their heels.
French Legislation on Privacy - France in the United States/ Embassy of France in Washington
Utterly despicable and disgusting invasion of privacy, IMO.

IF it is true, it is EXTREMELY stupid from Kate's side, and I can't believe it. Since 10 years now she knows very well that she is constantly pursued by papz, she should NEVER reduce her attention. The veranda of an hotel's room, is NOT a safe place, and W+K know it very well, so I think it is not true. She can not let herself topless in a veranda, IMPOSSIBLE.

As regards the laws in France. I'm not a lawyer, but I do not know if the veranda of an hotel, (or house to hire) could be considered a private area.
20 years ago, the then husband of Pcs Stephanie, was cought having sex with a sexstar, outside a villa. The pictures made the tour of the world, and even IF against the law, they made their catastrophy. Stephanie has divorced.

They weren't in a hotel, they were in the private house of William's second cousin, Viscount Linley. Apparently numerous members of the royal family have holidayed there without the press even knowing they were there.

These pictures were taken from a considerable distance, on a long lense and William and Kate obviously didn't know they were there.

If Kate can't take her top off while on private property in a remote estate in a country with notoriously strict privacy laws, she can't take her top off anywhere. Kate will obviously have to start wearing a bikini or swimming costume in the bath or shower, given that a member of staff or the postman or some pap with a long lense might snap a picture of her and it's apparently fair game.

She was on a 650 acre private estate owned by her husband's cousin alone with her husband. The photos were taken w/ a long lens.
Was Sophie stupid for being photographed years before she met Prince Edward while goofing around on holiday when they published her topless photo?
Was Diana stupid for working out in a gym when they drilled holes in the wall and published crotch shots?
Was prosecutor Marcia Clark stupid for vacationing in Europe and being topless on a beach and seeing her 10 yr. old topless photos published in the middle of the OJ Simpson murder trial?
Of course William was outraged, he witnessed the impact the papparrazi had on his mother.
Kate Middleton topless photographs: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 'furious' over Closer Magazine publication | Mail Online

St. James's Palace has issued a statement:

Their Royal Highnesses have been hugely saddened to learn that a French publication and a photographer have invaded their privacy in such a grotesque and totally unjustifiable manner.

The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so.

Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them.

Officials acting on behalf of Their Royal Highnesses are consulting with lawyers to consider what options may be available to The Duke and Duchess.

peanutbutterfly said:
This could have been any princess that we all love, Mary Mm, Charlene etc. The pictures emphasize a bigger issue and its not privacy. We love all of these women who in essence give up their anonymous lives to devote themselves to a country. When in all of that do they stop being human, because that is how people act like they have ceased to be human. We get to share their joys and sorrows and all of their triumphs, do we have to share in their bodyparts as well?? Catherine is a human being not an object. This breach of privacy is a lack of respect, which stems from the dehumanization of all of these lovely women. They're objects.
Clotheshorses stories photo opportunities.
Maybe I'm getting too deep.

I couldn't agree more. But what is the best way to respond? Through the courts? It is interesting that in Liverpool, citizens stopped buying The Sun because of the way they reported the Hillsborough tragedy and it is still the case apparently. Would that Closer magazine had the same treatment . A pipe dream I know.

An unusually strongly-worded statement from St. James's Palace on this saying the royals have "every expectation of privacy at a remote private house". That their privacy was invaded in a "grotesque and unjustifiable manner reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales".

The Palace are apparently also suggesting that the pap who took these photos was most likely trespassing on private property in order to do so.

Jeez, the paparazzi won't stop, won't they?

Are they trying to make Catherine look bad? How? Plenty of European women go topless while sunbathing, even in private. How is she any different?
How is the future Queen of England any different :ohmy:

These photos were offered to the British press for sale over the last few days and they all refused to touch them. When the British press refuse to publish something for privacy reasons, it's obvious we're talking about a breach of privacy in the grossest sense possible.

Having looked at the photos thou, is it really Catherine ???

Back
Top Bottom