The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

You know what, Catherine is not to blame here. Future Queen of England? yup. Having to completely go mad with paranoia? Nope. She should not have to worry about what she does in what should be a " private " time with her husband. In public thats different, she has to be at her best. The fact that this dispicable photographer was that far away, there was no way for them to even suspect any kind of intrusion. If they did I would think Catherine would have been very careful about it. I wouldnt think she is that naive or that William is for that matter. The blame should be on this idiot who figured he would make a quick buck by invading the privacy of this couple who were enjoying some time together in a place where they thought they would not be bothered. Apparently they cant go anywhere other than the Palace or their home in Wales without being hunted down and invaded. I dont blame them for being livid. I would probably hire someone to find the guy who took the pictures and have his hands broken to the point he wouldnt be able to use them again. Oops, did I say that? Seriously though. I truly hope that something will be done that will be more than a slap on the hand. This person obviously has no life and nothing better to do than to make this couple miserable. I like to think the old saying is true " What comes around, goes around " and all involved will pay in some way or another.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Even more amazing just saw a French paparazzi complaining about the British not publishing the pictures.
Will it take another accident in a tunnel before anything gets done?

In an age where people make sex tapes in order to become famous, sell stories about their sex lives for a few $$ to get 15 minutes of D List celebrity and post nude pictures of themselves on Facebook have we totally and willingly given up the concept of privacy?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

The French paparazzi must be absolutely horrific.
I remember last summer, they also managed to get pictures of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark when they were vacationing on Caix, I think they had stuck their lenses into the hedge or something like that because they obviously had no idea they were there at all. Poor William and Catherine is all I can say.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Dear French Closer magazine, your arse is ours. Regards, The British Royal Family.

Expand Collapse

6h Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
No, Kate, we cannot "pretend it was Pippa Middleton".

Expand Collapse

8h Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Prince Harry on the phone. Upset about the photos of Kate. Says "why couldn't she do the full monty like the rest of the Royals". Awkward.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lol I do love P charles, thanks for posting

Impressed ever more with Kate. Grace under pressure, no pouting.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's part of the whole "celebrification" of royalty theme that we're seeing over and over again. Royals do a serious job: they represent their nations in time of national sorrow and jubilation, do visits overseas, and recognize good works within local communities. However, that role is being over-shadowed by publishers of celebrity magazines and t.v. programs that emphasize the physical to the detriment of awareness of the work that these people actually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterfly View Post
We get to share their joys and sorrows and all of their triumphs, do we have to share in their bodyparts as well?? Catherine is a human being not an object. This breach of privacy is a lack of respect, which stems from the dehumanization of all of these lovely women. They're objects.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Before they married, I had my doubts about Katherine. I've warmed to her since the wedding but in all of this, the dignity of the Duchess shines through. Look at her today - doing her duty, meeting people, promoting good causes. She's worth a million of that photographer and I couldn't more proud to have her as part of our Royal Family.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Two things I'd be interested in knowing:
Does the judge who will hear this case have any discretion in the amount the magazine is fined, (assuming William and Catherine win)?

And, is it possible to sue the individual photographer who took the pictures, in addition to the magazine that published them?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Two things I'd be interested in knowing:
Does the judge who will hear this case have any discretion in the amount the magazine is fined, (assuming William and Catherine win)?

And, is it possible to sue the individual photographer who took the pictures, in addition to the magazine that published them?
According to the French Law, the magazine, the editor and the photographer can endure one year in prison and a fine of aproximately 50 000 euros.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Slightly veering off the topic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
... [snipped]
Aren't they putting on sunscreen? I don't know if I consider that baking themselves.
I have an aversion to tan and sun bathing. As I have stated previously in other threads, tan equals plebeian. Sunscreens are artificial compounds that might be ineffective to protect long sun exposure. The data related to the sunscreen efficiency is contradictory. I am for long-sleeved clothes, hats, and parasols.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my goodness, I have just read about the photographs and the lawsuit. I saw a picture of how far away the photographer was to get the images of the couple. He was well over a MILE away, probably even more. That is ridiculous and such an invasion of privacy. William and Catherine had probably thought going to Viscount Linley's Chateau, they would avoid press intrusion as it is very secluded. They are right to sue the newspaper. With Harry's image it was one of his so called friends who obviously gave the image to the press, whereas William and Catherine had no idea they were being photographed. I am sure other family members have gone to stay there, it's just a shame that the Cambridge couple attract so much publicity that they cannot seem to escape it anywhere.

The images show a couple doing the natural things one does on holiday when alone, I cannot believe paparazzi's felt it was appropriate to photograph such intimate moments. I am fully aware that we are in a "celebrity obsessed" world and the Royal family are celebrities in their own right, and should no doubt expect to be photographed all the time. This, however, is on another level as the photographer was so far away from them and had to use a LONG lens to capture the scenes. Madness!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Before they married, I had my doubts about Katherine. I've warmed to her since the wedding but in all of this, the dignity of the Duchess shines through. Look at her today - doing her duty, meeting people, promoting good causes. She's worth a million of that photographer and I couldn't more proud to have her as part of our Royal Family.
I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. If anything, I thought Kate was dealing with it better than William was. I suppose that's fair enough given what he saw happen with his mother and paparazzi in France.

I somehow doubt that William and Kate will ever holiday in France again.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
According to the French Law, the magazine, the editor and the photographer can endure one year in prison and a fine of aproximately 50 000 euros.
Last week, French First Lady Valerie Trierweiler won a judgment of 2,000 euros after the publication of photos of her in a bikini. If the French First Lady can win a suit for being photographed in a bikini I have no doubt the Cambridges can win their suit, and likely something close to the maximum.
Surely the French remember that Williams mother died on their territory while being chased by paparazzi.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

I agree entirely, BeatrixFan. If anything, I thought Kate was dealing with it better than William was. I suppose that's fair enough given what he saw happen with his mother and paparazzi in France.

Yes I was very, very impressed with Kate's composure. If anything, she seemed to be the one emotionally supporting him and assuring him that she could deal with this.

I've always liked her, but this has convinced me she must be a very strong person.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately, even a fine of the maximum €50,000 is nowhere near enough of a deterrent for unscrupulous paps and gossips mag editors. At 11am this morning a photographer on Sky News said 'Princess Kate naked' had been googled over 6 million times (who knows how many times it's been googled by now). Closer will make a bucket load of money out of this, €50k is well worth it.

What needs to happen is much bigger fines, a realistic risk of jail sentences for the paps and the editors, or even closure of the title entirely. Until that happens, the deterrent just isn't there.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

People who really deserve to be punished don't get strict enough deterrents, any 'real' deterrent for invasion of privacy just isn't going to appear and shouldn't unless other matters get fixed first. I don't see why a magazine should be closed down cause it printed some pictures. If they appeared online first, should the Internet be shut down?

It's one naked royal after another these days, who's next? Beatrice?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Unfortunately, even a fine of the maximum €50,000 is nowhere near enough of a deterrent for unscrupulous paps and gossips mag editors. At 11am this morning a photographer on Sky News said 'Princess Kate naked' had been googled over 6 million times (who knows how many times it's been googled by now). Closer will make a bucket load of money out of this, €50k is well worth it.

What needs to happen is much bigger fines, a realistic risk of jail sentences for the paps and the editors, or even closure of the title entirely. Until that happens, the deterrent just isn't there.
I agree. The maximum should be some multiple of the amount the photographer was paid and a multiple of the amount the magazine earned in addition to a real risk of imprisonment for trespassing and violations of privacy for both the photographer and the publisher and editor of the magazine. This case will do doubt provide fuel to existing efforts to increase penalties and fines.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Surely the French remember that Williams mother died on their territory while being chased by paparazzi.
Indeed ,according to some lawyers it could be seen as a precedent and the judgment be particulary severe (hope so).

Quote:
I really hope not !
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Courtier

How did anybody find out they were there in the first place? That's what I'd be wondering if I were W&K....there seems to have a been a breach of confidence somewhere along the way, or the paparazzi would have never known in the first place. Given the distance from the road shown in a prior post, I, too, would have expected complete privacy. What a low blow, especially on an official tour!

ETA: The Linleys must be terribly upset, too, for what it's worth.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Courtier

I find it interesting that the official statement from St. James' Palace, which was apparently written with input from William and Catherine, (as per The Telegraph), mentions William's mother. Diana's name obviously isn't brought up casually in the public life of the British royal family, and William, especially, seems to keep her memory private. Diana being mentioned indicates to me a depth of emotion we don't usually get with these statements. I don't think William would have allowed a reference to Diana to be included if this were just one of the many more routine intrusions he's had to deal with.