Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its just you are outside in topless in famous in there are always cameras around no matter what. william should have known that period. being that he did grow up with it.its just they let the gaurd down in it happen in its out so no matter what anybody says the pics are not going away and now they just have to sue or dont sue and move on from this.

Boris said:
...plus the links to other luxury vacation sites which promoted the property as a holiday destination.
It's a bit like installing an alarm system in a mansion after it has been robbed due to having only ordinary locks.
The English press had reported the destination of the Cambridges and the online advertising of the Chateau d'Autet provided an opportunity to check out how to access it best.
I'm surprised that security staff did not object here in the first place, and also that online pages have been erased now - after the fact, but before an impending lawsuit which might perhaps have to consider how easily available public information about the property was.

Weren't they already home before there were any reports of their holiday?. Kate was seen shopping in London the day the stories appeared in the British newspapers.

susan alicia said:
more worrying, there was no security that could have prevented this and this means they are not sufficiently protected against violence.

I find the compusure of Kate no big deal, it is the least she can do.

The least she can do implies she has something to make up for, which is incorrect- she did absolutely nothing wrong here in any way.

its just you are outside in topless in famous in there are always cameras around no matter what. william should have known that period. being that he did grow up with it.its just they let the gaurd down in it happen in its out so no matter what anybody says the pics are not going away and now they just have to sue or dont sue and move on from this.

I wonder how many times they had been able to do this, sun bath topless, and nobody knew, thus thought they were okay in this case as well.

Again, why blame the victim?!?!?!?

well now everyone is going to see her and williams reaction to all of this. took the heat off harry

Weren't they already home before there were any reports of their holiday?. Kate was seen shopping in London the day the stories appeared in the British newspapers.

Yeah, they were already home by the time the story came out about their vacation in France.

Yeah, they were already home by the time the story came out about them vacationing in France.

While that is true, someone knew and tipped off the photographer. Nothing to be gained discussing when the rest of the world knew they were in France.

I wonder how many times they had been able to do this, sun bath topless, and nobody knew, thus thought they were okay in this case as well.

Again, why blame the victim?!?!?!?

well some press dont careless about how she or he feels its a great story no matter what this shows more of the fact they will in always will be watched and people will always be interested which makes them want to get more.

they thought they were safe in they were wrong

Duchess of Durham said:
While that is true, someone knew and tipped off the photographer. Nothing to be gained discussing when the rest of the world knew they were in France.

I was replying to boris saying that the English press has written about where they were staying making it easier for the paps to look up the website to see how to find them but they couldn't do this as the English press didn't write about it till they were already home.

I feel sad & angry at the same time for Catherine.

Boundaries & respect do not seem to exist in society anymore.

well some press dont careless about how she or he feels its a great story no matter what this shows more of the fact they will in always will be watched and people will always be interested which makes them want to get more.

they thought they were safe in they were wrong
Firstly, may I kindly ask you to write a little more coherent? I can barely understand what you're trying to say.

Pentax Long range zoom lens C61244ST 12-1680mm with COHU 8800 camera - YouTube

That is what lenses can do for you these days. It's wrong on so many levels.

I can understand the privacy issues and the photographer and publisher has gone way out of line. But even on a private estate why would you go around topless when you know paps will be anywhere they can be to get pictures. Look at the honeymoon pictures we got?
If it was to get an even tan, she shouldn't. I'm not saying she's in the wrong I just don't understand why anyone would go topless.

I totally agree. We all know she is "entitled" to wear (or not) what she likes ! But, with her life path well chosen for her, going topless is not appropriate for the future Queen of England. Just another reality check for Catherine that she will be "snapped" unknowingly forever and "it is what it is" !

I totally agree. We all know she is "entitled" to wear (or not) what she likes ! But, with her life path well chosen for her, going topless is not appropriate for the future Queen of England. Just another reality check for Catherine that she will be "snapped" unknowingly forever and "it is what it is" !

I agree thats what ive been saying. now it is about what they do after the fact, which most likely is sue.

Mystiblue said:

I don't think this is that simple. She's accepted that she has no privacy in her day to day life and that she will never again be able to run into a store or walk on the street without photographers chronicling it. What I think is so wrong about this is the idea that she also deserves no expectation of privacy in her very private life. It's been repeated ad nauseam, but this was a private house, surrounded by private land and she was alone with her husband, and the photographer was half a mile away. The idea that she should chalk up this invasion to a routine thing she just has to expect is incredibly unfair.

Yes, she's a public figure. No, that doesn't mean she should have to give up every moment of her life to worrying that someone is going to spy on her and share it with the world:

"Not appropriate for future Queen of England?"

Since paps has long range zoom camera now and they can take picture of inside someone home. I guess she can only be appropriate if she take shower with clothes on (eventually those paps are going to take pictures of people through their bathroom windows).

Since according to some people the paparazzi have no line to cross, it always the victim fault

Last edited:
Mystiblue said:

The only thing that is not appropriate is that you and others seem fine dismissing the actions of a person who took intimate photographs of a woman in private without her knowledge or permission. It does not matter who they are no woman (or man) should be abused in this way. How can you possibly describe something as vile as this as a 'reality check' and claim 'it is what it is'. Kate was the victim of a horrible act and by declaring it her fault you are endorsing it.

I don't think this is that simple. She's accepted that she has no privacy in her day to day life and that she will never again be able to run into a store or walk on the street without photographers chronicling it. What I think is so wrong about this is the idea that she also deserves no expectation of privacy in her very private life. It's been repeated ad nauseam, but this was a private house, surrounded by private land and she was alone with her husband, and the photographer was half a mile away. The idea that she should chalk up this invasion to a routine thing she just has to expect is incredibly unfair.

Yes, she's a public figure. No, that doesn't mean she should have to give up every moment of her life to worrying that someone is going to spy on her and share it with the world:

Exactly. It sad that people believe that them and celebs should be treated like cage animals at the zoo.

I agree with you. The ideas that public people have no rights to privacy is false. I agree with the Cambridges suing and I hope they continue to take such actions in future until the press learn there are lines that should not be crossed. I would hope that any magazine/news outlet that publishes the photos will have all interview requests denied and any photographer who takes such pictures or any news outlet that hires the photographers are denied any accreditation on future tours along with any other action the palace can take.

My quote and Amelia's quote, were in response to another poster saying that the UK press published the vacation info while they were in France and that is what tipped off the photographer.

Last edited:
To be honest, I really would have hated to be the person that had to break the news of these photos to William. On our CNN, its scrolling that the couple is "saddened" by the photos. I would wager a guess that William is totally livid. He never really did have much love for the press and as protective of Kate he is, I wouldn't blame him if he's out for blood on this one. St. James responded quite quickly too so we know this is no laughing matter.
Just catching up on people's comments now - and think this is a very astute comment. At the end of the day, William's reaction will be very telling.

The two most important women in his life - his mother and his wife - have been violated by French paps.

That has to stir a very visceral reaction in him. I wonder if we'll all look back in 30 years - when he might be King - and realize that although it was never announced - not only has he (and Kate) never returned to France for a private visit, but official visits are delegated to other BRF members - like Harry.

Sue the hell out of them and donate the money to charity. The fact that it happened in France could help. It goes against heir laws, and the gov could make an example of the mag. A win for DDoC could be great pr to the world about France.

Give the investigation a little time. They will find out exactly where he Paz was standing. Trespassing and/or Peeping Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
CanRoyal said:
Just catching up on people's comments now - and think this is a very astute comment. At the end of the day, William's reaction will be very telling.

The two most important women in his life - his mother and his wife - have been violated by French paps.

That has to stir a very visceral reaction in him. I wonder if we'll all look back in 30 years - when he might be King - and realize that although it was never announced - not only has he (and Kate) never returned to France for a private visit, but official visits are delegated to other BRF members - like Harry.

I think the fact that Diana was directly referenced in his statement is a good indicator that he's beyond furious about this.

It has nothing to do with nudity and everything to do with security. Anyone who is so called protecting them, should scope out the place and see where a sharpshooter could stand.

Interesting - and good point. I hadn't made the connection between Diana's car crash in France and Kate's issues with the French media. Though they were just in France before their trip to Asia, so I'm not sure they're avoiding France. It seems to me I read about the pictures while they were there, too.

Perez Hilton has the cover of the magazine up with only white dots hiding Kate and going by those the pictures are just of Kate sunbathing topless - though apparently the editor is hinting at something more they could publish.

Well i really hope that, in the contrary of some of his futur subjects who tend to generalize the attitude of some paps to the entire French nation, William will have some judgment and hopefully come back to France in private or official capacity.

Perez Hilton has the cover of the magazine up with only white dots hiding Kate and going by those the pictures are just of Kate sunbathing topless - though apparently the editor is hinting at something more they could publish.

Perez Hilton is just as bad as Closer for posting pics of the pics. Course he makes his money doing the same thing as these rags, spreading gossip.

Duchess of Durham said:
Perez Hilton is just as bad as Closer for posting pics of the pics. Course he makes his money doing the same thing as these rags, spreading gossip.

Perez Hilton is a third rate hack and a bully who feeds on humiliating and denigrating people. If he were a fish, he'd be a catfish.

Well i really hope that, in the contrary of some of his futur subjects who tend to generalize the attitude of some paps to the entire French nation, William will have some judgment and hopefully come back to France in private or official capacity.

I would not hold my breathe!

I can only hope the rotten photographer does get jail time, and not at a nice Martha Stewart place either. Punishments for lawbreaking are meant to be prohibitive, so let's see them in action. The fine clearly isn't enough, but maybe incarceration will be.

Back
Top Bottom