The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Why did it take so long to charge these two? Did they not know who the two were.
Actually, they didn't for a long time. And when they finally did, they would have had to gather evidence before being able to charge them.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Kate Middleton topless pictures: Two charged after photos of sunbathing Duchess of Cambridge published last year - Mirror Online

Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

On a related note, Hawaii is passing the "Steven Tyler Law" which will make it illegal for paps to take photos on private ground. It came out a lawsuit filed by the Aerosmith singer after pics were take while he was on vacation.

So - in Hawaii, pics may be taken on the street or on the beach, but not inside a spa, hotel, restaurant, etc.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Serene Highness

Yup, you are right. This is a new law for Hawaii and I think it is pretty good. If you are anywhere else other than your home away from home or your hotel then you are fair game. But once the doors close or you are in your backyard, you are off limits. Alot of celebrities have homes here and having this law will allow them to roam freely in the privacy of that home without having to draw the curtains or having to put up huge block walls or so many bushes you cant enjoy the view. I think it is necessary and the correct thing to do. Yes they are celebrities but they are also people, they just happen to make more money and they are more recognized. I think its great when I can go to the beach with my hubby and there under big umbrellas with sunglasses on is Jada and Will and thier son in the water trying to boogyboard. My husband actually was in the water with the boy and the bodyguard just having a good time and talking. No one bothered any of them on the beach and I think that is why they like coming here to Kauai. To us they are just normal people who are on vacation.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Commoner

Its about time.!!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Too bad they won't release the name of the %#+* who took the photos, or isn't his just me being vindictive?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Too bad they won't release the name of the %#+* who took the photos, or isn't his just me being vindictive?
Wasn't a woman photographer named Valerie Suau questioned? Is she one of them?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Courtier

Unlike Diana, Kate is not dead. The Paps got away with it then and they will get away with it now.

Nothing will really change, I don't think. This is just a stage act. All bark, no bite.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, Kate is a lovely young woman. They thrive on publicity and then they shun it. If you don't want to be photographed this way, you don't do this. It is not that important. When you suck on publicity, it is like living and dying by the sword. The RF claims they don't, but if they didn't, they would live in seclusion. They need the media, otherwise they would become irrelevant.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Look, Kate is a lovely young woman. They thrive on publicity and then they shun it. If you don't want to be photographed this way, you don't do this. It is not that important. When you suck on publicity, it is like living and dying by the sword. The RF claims they don't, but if they didn't, they would live in seclusion. They need the media, otherwise they would become irrelevant.
What you are saying would be condoning a crime in some countries. It is an infringement of their privacy.

They are entitled to private time.

But this is a loop cos you and I have said this all before.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
In this particular case, Kate and William were staying at a private villa, situated far back from the road, behind a very tall fence. They had expectations of privacy and this photographer evidently climbed a tree and used a powerful telephoto lens to get these photos of the Duchess sunbathing in the nude. I really don't think it's fair to blame them for what the photographer did. I think they give much of themselves to the media and they should be able to be private when they want to be private. These people deserve some sort of punishment for what they did.`
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

You know that is true. But when, I was young I never did stuff like this, because I knew what was private and what was public. So, you can use discretion or you can carry on about the ramifications. Today's camera's are spectacular. Use your brain. Is it so necessary to do. You, meaning they, also, live in the public, all of the time. Privacy is gone. It is a fools gambit to think, at their level you can live off camera.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

France, unlike some other countries recognizes the concept of privacy even for the famous. They have laws about violation of privacy. According to the French law the right to privacy was violated and as such people will be prosecuted. Why should the laws be overlooked just because the victim is a member of the BRF?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
This little stunt was not publicity, but blatant invasion of privacy. There's a huge difference. You make these people sound like Hollywood attention-seekers, and from what I've seen, that's very far from the truth. Any embarrassing moments that any member of the BRF has experienced was captured by some pap, or another, and was done during a private outing to a night club, or what have you. I'm sorry, but when one is staying on private property, during one's private holiday, one shouldn't worry about being caught on camera in any way, shape, or form, be that person a royal, or a regular Joe. Catherine was on private holiday with her husband, and decided to relax, and sunbathe without a bra/bathing suit top. It should not have been photographed, and the fault is with the photographer/publisher, not the individual that was violated, in this case, Catherine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What you are saying would be condoning a crime in some countries. It is an infringement of their privacy.

They are entitled to private time.

But this is a loop cos you and I have said this all before.
I agree with you.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
To me this rationale/justification is akin to justifying rape by claiming the victim dressed or acted provocatively. It shifts blame to the victim rather than focusing on the perpetrator of the crime.
Invasion of privacy via photographs w/out consent is not a crime everywhere, but in France it is. Why have the law if it is not going to be enforced? All defendants were in France and presumably French citizens and knew what they were doing was a crime and were willing to gamble that they'd only be fined for their flagrant violation of France's law rather than being imprisoned - I hope they lose their gamble and French authorities throw the book at them. Why have a law if you don't intend to enforce it?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well for me personally, when she walked out with her son these photographs were far from my mind even though these morons had just recently been charged.
I will not repeat what others have already said about certain people blaming the victim.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is a difference between being raped and being photographed. And no matter what you are wearing, being forced into sexual contact is a violent crime. Actually, rape has more to do with violence than sex. Whether or not one should have the right to a private space is not my argument. Sure you should, but when you are who you are you take into consideration the ramifications of your actions. Strip pool pictures in Vegas, well what a thought. Harry may know better now or not. Putting people in prison for this is ridiculous. When you write they were presumably French Citizens, why would you presume that? The Paps are many different nationalities and may never know that their way of making a living, repugnant as it is, is just that, a way to make a living and people buy these pictures, other wise no one would do it. Diana died, far more serious than some embarrassing photos. Frankly, if no one made a fuss, they would be long forgotten.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Even if they were foreign, which I do not think is the case, ignorance of the law has never been an acceptable defence. Are you suggesting because the victim is foreign and more importantly because the victim is a member of the BRF the French should just overlook the matter and not enforce their laws on privacy?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure you'd feel the exact same way if people camped out around your private home surrounded by a ton of land where you thought you were totally alone, and perched in trees a mile down the road just waiting for an opportunity to use a telephoto lens to take a picture of you in an embarrassing moment to sell to the world media.

Seriously, this is not a hard concept. Photographers do not have the right to camp out half a mile down the road and use a telephoto lens to take pictures of people in their private homes. That would be considered stalking in some cases, and this photographer was nothing more than a peeping tom.

Just because they're famous doesn't mean that this kind of gross violation of their privacy should be condoned.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I'm sure you'd feel the exact same way if people camped out around your private home surrounded by a ton of land where you thought you were totally alone, and perched in trees a mile down the road just waiting for an opportunity to use a telephoto lens to take a picture of you in an embarrassing moment to sell to the world media.

Seriously, this is not a hard concept. Photographers do not have the right to camp out half a mile down the road and use a telephoto lens to take pictures of people in their private homes. That would be considered stalking in some cases, and this photographer was nothing more than a peeping tom.

Just because they're famous doesn't mean that this kind of gross violation of their privacy should be condoned.
Well said!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.