The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Despite the gross invasion and violating of privacy or committing a crime - after the bottomless pictures I think even more "what was she thinking" or what kind of mindset does she have as one of the most photographed women in the world? I am still stunned at this error of judgement from her or William's part. His mother was even photographed inside a gym, how can he even think he or his wife can expect privacy on an outside terrace.

On another note, how many bikinis does one have to bring for one afternoon
The photographer took pictures over several day. (But how did he/she know W&K were vacationing there?)

Diana was photographed topless several times during the 80's & 90's but the pictures were never published. William was also photographed while peeing during a polo game. (Those pictures are available on the internet.) Some day Diana's photo's will also be released...

As far as Kate, I'll have to agree with you: What was she thinking/doing?
Why remove your bathing suit? The villa was not isolated. There were no trees or screen to shield her from anyone on the property. Not just photographers but staff.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe- View Post
Kate is vain, selfish, and only wants to play "dress-up."
Unless you are in possession of information which the rest of the free world is not, you could not possibly know this of a certainty. Therefore it is just your opinion, stated though it may be as fact. Frankly I am not interested in its chemical composition or what leads you to it.

Quote:
She is taking her new life for all it's worth.
We can agree on this. Everyone takes to their new life for all it's worth. Well, all the successful people do. You say it as if it was a proof of your first sentence.

Quote:
It is similar to when commoners win the lottery, or when a promiscuous woman marries a wealthy man.
What? The lottery thing I get but the promiscuous woman thing? That's rhetorical, by the way. It's the product of a certain sort of mind which I don't mind talking *to* but rarely ever talk *with*. The effort is usually not worth the result.

Quote:
Call me old-fashioned, but she has a duty to adhere to and her excuses are unacceptable. I don't think Kate has yet to realize the importance of her role, and I don't think she ever will.
No, I don't think I would call you old fashioned at all. Nope.

As far as I am aware, Catherine has not made any excuses.

You cannot know what she does or does not realize.

Your mind, as evidenced by the dogmatic statements it produces, is clearly made up. My advice to you is to unmake it just a little, let some light and air in and you might be surprised by what it discovers when its allowed to think freely.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

Criminal investigation

Kate Middleton topless photos probe: Criminal investigation launched to find paparazzi who took the pictures of Duchess of Cambridge - Mirror Online
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Despite the gross invasion and violating of privacy or committing a crime - after the bottomless pictures I think even more "what was she thinking" or what kind of mindset does she have as one of the most photographed women in the world? I am still stunned at this error of judgement from her or William's part. His mother was even photographed inside a gym, how can he even think he or his wife can expect privacy on an outside terrace.

On another note, how many bikinis does one have to bring for one afternoon
I have to admit that I am starting to agree - especially when you remember William was photographed urinating and that pic made rounds on the Internet, though without the same frenzy as his wife's revealing pics. You would think both would be careful after that, so there is a lack of judgment in this case. And if there are photos of William without trunks on and even some intimate photos, then I would really question the Duke and Duchess' mindset in regards to their awareness of the paparazzi and media.

This does NOT mean that I believe they don't have a right to privacy or that the two are immoral. They simply need to accept their standings in the world.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine J's quote: "Your mind, as evidenced by the dogmatic statements it produces, is clearly made up. My advice to you is to unmake it just a little, let some light and air in and you might be surprised by what it discovers when its allowed to think freely."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this has become an advice forum? Or, perhaps, it is becoming an insult forum. Your posts need moderating, We like to talk about royalty, not listen to you belittle, not posters opinions, but the posters themselves.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Catherine J's quote: "Your mind, as evidenced by the dogmatic statements it produces, is clearly made up. My advice to you is to unmake it just a little, let some light and air in and you might be surprised by what it discovers when its allowed to think freely."

So this has become an advice forum? Or, perhaps, it is becoming an insult forum. Your posts need moderating, We like to talk about royalty, not listen to you belittle, not posters opinions, but the posters themselves.
Catherine J didn't insult anyone. Maybe you should look in the mirror Kitty, because you take pops at anyone that isn't singing from your hymn sheet. It seems the fans of certain CPs can dish it but can't take it. Catherine J just defends W&C from the trolls.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

Well, I do apologize if I have offended you, or anyone else. I can certainly be determined in my own opinions :)

However, I do NOT think ad hominem attacks are any way to deal with people in a forum. That said, in expressing my opinion of someone's opinion it is entirely possible that a tinge of that falls in between the cracks. Defending a position and pointing out what you believe to be the error in another's opinion should not become an attack of the person. You are quite right in that. And if I have not gone over the line, I have certainly danced on it.

I exist in a world where very lively academic debate is part of my daily routine - I am paid to have strong opinions, essentially - and those discussions have a lot of expressions like "Have you gone off the deep end?" and "Are you mad" and "Did you take extra dumb-down pills this morning?" many times directed AT me :) I forget, to my discredit, that this and other forums like it, are not those debates.

So, yes, I can see where you are coming from. However, if I might add, the snippet you provide as evidence is not anything approaching an ad hominem attack and is something I would type again, even in the light of this conversation. Saying it seems that someone's mind is made up and offering advice is not really ... well ... wrong or even impolite, not where I come from.

I could point you to a few posts I have made in the past few days where I did probably step over that line a little ( I edit my posts a lot because I recognize my tendency to be snarky) but that would be self incriminating, and those that care to track them down should go on ahead and do it.

So, yeah. Your point is taken in the broad context. I don't suppose you noticed at all that you insulted me and gave me advice?

See? It's hard to get an opinion in without a little of that, isn't it.

Anyway, thanks for the ... um ... whatever that was.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Kate is vain, selfish, and only wants to play "dress-up." She is taking her new life for all it's worth. It is similar to when commoners win the lottery, or when a promiscuous woman marries a wealthy man.

Call me old-fashioned, but she has a duty to adhere to and her excuses are unacceptable. I don't think Kate has yet to realize the importance of her role, and I don't think she ever will.
Well to borrow a phrase from good old Charlie Brown ... "GOOD GRIEF".
And that's all I'll say about that.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Enough with the personal attacks on fellow members. I've deleted a slew of posts and will continue to do so.

Let's stay on topic.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps we should get back on topic?

Should W&K sue the magazines and the photographer?
Yes, absolutely!

A deliberate breach of anyone's privacy for profit is unacceptable.
Sue the magazines and the photographers, every time.
The editors may calculate the costs of a settlement, but expenses for layers and bad press adds up. - And having to go through the mill at court each and every time photos where W&K's privacy is breached might, hopefully, disourage most publishers.

It may also, hopefully, encourage the politicians (who are sometimes intimidated by the media) to ensure that the consequences for breaching anyone's privacy are more severe.

Our privacy, all of us, is among the most precious things we have - in a world where there are cameras everywhere and where everyone can write about you in blogs or in a fora, often under cover of anonymity and with few if any consequences.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness

I think there will be jail sentences over tthis
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I think there will be jail sentences over tthis
I agree. This person will be made an exmaple of and rightly so.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Courtier

A jail sentence is unlikely but a hell of a lot of money to pay in combination with something more drastic is entirely appropriate. And if said money would then be divided among William's and Kate's charities something good at least would come out of this scandal.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

A jail sentence, how ridiculous. It is silly photos, by some dope who wanted to make a big buck and people who will pay for it. If you don't have a buyer, it wouldn't be done. And the poster who said, it is not right to infinge on a person's privacy, that person, also, has to make wise choices. Harry's nude photos, William peeing in public, Kate removing her swimsuit are, also, poor choices.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

What part of it is illegal in France to do what was done do you not understand?! Good gracious its like trying to teach some of you people chemistry; in one ear out the other.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
What part of it is illegal in France to do what was done do you not understand?! Good gracious its like trying to teach some of you people chemistry; in one ear out the other.
Yes, it is illegal, but, not knowing French Law Terms, is it a Felony or a misdimeanor? Using American Law Terms. Is it a Class A Felony or Misdemeanor, or a Class D Felony or misdemeanor? Do you get fined, expelled from your profession. You need to take these things into consideration. What evidence do they have to present to a jury, if there is a trial, if a person committed the act. Do they plea bargain? How much will it cost the French Court System to prosecute someone, way after the fact, unless they have "real evidence" as to the perpetrator and what does the law, actually say? It is illegal to park near a fire hydrant in this country, but it is different than committing a murder or a burglary. But they are all "illegal".
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Exactly! Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
A jail sentence, how ridiculous. It is silly photos, by some dope who wanted to make a big buck and people who will pay for it. If you don't have a buyer, it wouldn't be done. And the poster who said, it is not right to infinge on a person's privacy, that person, also, has to make wise choices. Harry's nude photos, William peeing in public, Kate removing her swimsuit are, also, poor choices.
You are perhaps referring to me?

I see we are talking past each other.
You talk about realities of life - as they are now.
I talk about principles. The basic right to privacy. A right that should not be breached for profit.

According to at least Danish legislation, I can dance around in my backyard stark ravers (do try and keep that image out of your heads, if you can ) as long as I:
A) Cannot be seen from a public area by happless passerbys.
B) Or by neighbors from their windows or while they are just standing in their garden.
C) Or by innocent guests. Mainly children, minors and people who are in my garden on business, say craftsmen.

If anyone takes a picture of me in my front garden, fully dressed, without my consent, I can sue in the certainty that I will win. Even if the photographer is standing in full view just on the other side of my hedge.

That, in my mind, is a fundamental right to privacy.

The only exceptions are if I'm kicking our dog, beating up my children or burying my wife. I.e. doing something criminal. Period!

I want that right, that basic right, to apply to royals and celebrities as well.
If we don't have that right, we might just as well live in houses with transparant walls. And we will go mad in no time.

If you are only visible from a public road 800 meters away, IF people happen to be in possession of a 30.000 mm lense, then you have done what can be reasonably expected to assume you are private.
I don't care if W&K leapfrogged each other wearing yellow fullbody spandex. 800 meters away on a private terrace, that's their right. - They keywords are: They did not do anything criminal that would justify a deliberate breach of their privacy!

As it is today, the magazines calculate on the victims not taking actions.
They calculate on reaching a fairly modest settlement, should the victims sue.
They calculate that the penalties are ridiculesly low, should they lose a lawsuit.
That's wrong and that ought to be changed. Everyone should have a right to privacy.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Yes, it is illegal, but, not knowing French Law Terms, is it a Felony or a misdimeanor? Using American Law Terms. Is it a Class A Felony or Misdemeanor, or a Class D Felony or misdemeanor? Do you get fined, expelled from your profession. You need to take these things into consideration. What evidence do they have to present to a jury, if there is a trial, if a person committed the act. Do they plea bargain? How much will it cost the French Court System to prosecute someone, way after the fact, unless they have "real evidence" as to the perpetrator and what does the law, actually say? It is illegal to park near a fire hydrant in this country, but it is different than committing a murder or a burglary. But they are all "illegal".
Article 226-1 of the French Criminal Code:
“A penalty of one year’s imprisonment and a fine of €45,000 is incurred for any wilful violation of the intimacy of the private life of other persons by resorting to any means of:
1° intercepting, recording or transmitting words uttered in confidential or private circumstances, without the consent of their speaker;
2° taking, recording or transmitting the picture of a person who is within a private place, without the consent of the person concerned.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Serene Highness

Great comment!