Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The photos are everywhere now...and are way more full-on than I expected. She must be horrified.

thank god they are taking action against the mag.
they violated Catherine's integrity, and yes she's the victim!! i would agree with those who said for her to be more aware and always with a top but if they were in a 'public zone', but they WERENT.

i actually saw the pictures by incident (maybe i should be ashamed of considering my statement), i actually opened a web page thinking it will be an article explaining some info, but there were big pictures in the front page, gosh, they took lots of them, even a picture with her taking her pants half way through while William put cream on her butt. it was way to much...

grevinnan said:
For them to think that they will not be hounded when outside of the royals very personal space and security was naive. It does not make the photos right but the reality does not always follow right or wrong.

Two things: 1. I, and many others, would have been just as naive in this instance. 2. It is the reality, but legal invasions of privacy should absolutely be investigated and prosecuted in this case.

As others have said, some of the posts here are just disgusting.

I suppose Charles and Camilla were to blame when their privacy was trampled over by someone tapping their phone calls. I suppose it was their own fault, they never should've had a personal conversation on the phone given someone might possibly somewhere be listening in and publish it.

We've seen this earlier in the year when posters here blamed Kate for a photographer trying to take a picture up her skirt when she bent over to talk to a child. That was apparently Kate's fault for 1) choosing to bend over, and 2) choosing not to wear a skirt the same length as the Queen's. What else does she expect?

People don't seem to want to admit where that sort of logic inevitably ends up - where men who assault or rape women can say 'what did she expect going out in a short skirt and tight top? She got what she asked for'.

An unfortunate aspect of all this for William and Kate is that someone from within their circle must have tipped off the paparazzi where they were going and when. I'd hate that feeling of being able to trust pretty much no-one.

I know he'd never do it, but I wouldn't blame William if he were to tell the country to get stuffed and refuse to fulfill his role in the royal family. He's a wealthy guy in his own right, he's got a good job and a beautiful wife. No amount of living in palaces and having people bow to you would make the total absence of any private life worthwhile.

miche said:
"They should not feel safe around their personal surrounding" How sad is that and how sad that people think this is okay

Absolutely!

susan alicia said:
she definitely should have kept her top on, they both created an opportunity for the paperazzi which does not make them victims but just plain stupid.

By following that logic, no one would ever be convicted of a crime of opportunity because the victims could never take enough precautions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The British tabloid holier than thou position in this is very amusing.

P. Caroline of Monoco regularly wins judgements in court re:paps, Mostly, I think, it is from images of minors, her children, which have stronger privacy protections, I think.
They could certainly get some tips from her on suing, also, from what subathing will do to your skin.

Uh oh, seems that some heads will roll :

Bauer Media, Closer 's orginal owner, just issued this statement :

"As the owners of the Closer brand and publishers of Closer magazine we have complained in the strongest terms to the licensee of Closer France, over the publication by them of photographs of their Royal Highnesses, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge.
We deplore the publication of these intrusive and offensive pictures and have asked that Closer France takes these pictures down immediately from its website and desist from publishing any further pictures.
Bauer Media and Closer UK regards publication of these photographs as a gross intrusion of their Royal Highnesses’ privacy.
We were not aware in advance of the purchase of these photographs or of any intention to publish. We have absolutely no control over the editorial decisions of Closer France.
In the light of their publication, we are now urgently discussing this matter with our licensee and reviewing the terms of our licence agreement with Closer France.
Like our readers we are appalled and regret the pain the publication of these photographs has caused. "

OMG, this pic is shocking. :bang: How could William and Kate ever spot the camera from that distance!
They couldn't, ever. The paps have these huge lenses that take insanely good pictures from great distances. Then how would she even know there were pics being taken? She wouldn't. Apparently there were also pics of her smoking.

It wasn't a public place. The Duke and Duchess were on a private estate owned by her husbands cousin. The photographer would have had to trespass (which is illegal) on private property and then use long lense to take the pictures. Invasions of privacy, even of public persons, is still illegal in France. There is a reasonable expectation of the right to privacy on private property.

I am rather amazed at the "blame the victim" mentality of some posters.

She wasn't in a public place.

as far as i know, it is a public place: the chateau is a hotel for other people such as visitors or other public, even if owned by her husband's cousin.

Chateau D'Autet

so yes, if you don't want compromising pictures circulating, then don't engage in compromising situations. it's simple, even normal people do so when not exposing themselves to pictures when in certain situations. it's just common sense.

Last edited:
as far as i know, it is a public place: the chateau is a hotel for other people such as visitors or other public, even if owned by her husband's cousin.

Chateau D'Autet

It is not a hotel like checking into your local Hilton. It IS a private place that one has to lease from Lord Linely. Its rather like me renting out my cottage for periods when I don't need it. The general public cannot just wander around the grounds or into the chateau. That means that the photographer had to be trespassing on the grounds. France has rather tough privacy laws which makes it quite likely their lawsuit will be successful, although damages will likely be minimal. This will undoubtably increase moves to increase the penalties for such violations of privacy.

Chateau D'Autet

so yes, if you don't want compromising pictures circulating, then don't engage in compromising situations. it's simple, even normal people do so when not exposing themselves to pictures when in certain situations. it's just common sense.

Oh Puhleeze!! I occasionally walk around my house without clothes on. The blinds to my front and side windows are closed so that my neighbors can't see anything. However the windows that face my back yard are far enough away from my back yard neighbors that they shouldn't see anything, unless they are using high powered binoculars. I have every expectation of privacy. I should not have to cover up those back windows. And neither should you if it were your house.

TRH had every expectation of privacy. As I could not open the link you posted I can't say with 100% certainty that the chateau is closed to the public. However, knowing W&K from what I've read here and in the news, I seriously doubt K would have taken her top off if there were other people around.

I am so sick of people saying this is K's fault, and that she should have known better. Like others have posted, blaming the victim is just plain WRONG. Shame on YOU for blaming Kate. Wonder if you would feel the same way if these were photos of you or a loved one.

I'm pretty much of two minds. On one hand I feel terribly for Kate - you should be able to expect a reasonable amount of privacy on a private estate, but on the other hand she knows/should know that she is unfortunately a target for the paparazzi and they will not respect her privacy - if they can get a picture of her, they will.

Al_bina said:
Spletnik.ru --- The scandal in the British royal family

I have never understood a desire to voluntarily bake oneself.

I wholeheartedly agree!! I don't get it!!

I'm pretty much of two minds. On one hand I feel terribly for Kate - you should be able to expect a reasonable amount of privacy on a private estate, but on the other hand she knows/should know that she is unfortunately a target for the paparazzi and they will not respect her privacy - if they can get a picture of her, they will.
They were a mile away. She didn't even see them and she didn't have a chance to go inside or put her top back on.

That's not a very reassuring thought for any woman. Let alone one in her position.

[edit] And oh, for all the people saying that she was/wasn't in a public place. Whetever that's the case or not, nobody should have the audicity to take photos of her boobs. Ever. And that goes for everyone. No woman should be put up with a creep either watching her off or taking pictures for merely taking off her top.

It's sad that the paparazzi can't leave them alone for a second, I feel sorry for them.
They should be entitled to a certain amount of privacy and this shouldn't be allowed to happen.

It always gets me how people can nod once and agree that this is correct or exceptable behavor when it comes to the people in public life. That the glass tank never ends."she should have known better, they should have learned form passed mistakes." How dare they try to live and have a privite honeymoon or vacation... what could they be thinking??

Really, how about the man who took these photo's have they not learned from past mistakes.. guess not! We have to remember that these are young married people. I think they should have some privacy in life.

Last edited:
Thanks to the french law regarding the invasion of privacy, Will and Kate's case will be presented before the judge probably on monday. It's already expected that Closer will lose and of course pay a lot...

Kate Middleton seins nus dans "Closer" : le magazine le paiera cher au procès - le Plus

Good, as they should... the person who took these should be FINED as well...IMO

These people should have to answer the question of, HOW, after the fact does The Duchess of Cambridge get back her peace of mind! That her mother, father, and the world has seen these pictures.

The answer is they can never give back what the magazine and the man who took the pictures have taken from her.
It is a very sad thing.

Last edited:
You know what, Catherine is not to blame here. Future Queen of England? yup. Having to completely go mad with paranoia? Nope. She should not have to worry about what she does in what should be a " private " time with her husband. In public thats different, she has to be at her best. The fact that this dispicable photographer was that far away, there was no way for them to even suspect any kind of intrusion. If they did I would think Catherine would have been very careful about it. I wouldnt think she is that naive or that William is for that matter. The blame should be on this idiot who figured he would make a quick buck by invading the privacy of this couple who were enjoying some time together in a place where they thought they would not be bothered. Apparently they cant go anywhere other than the Palace or their home in Wales without being hunted down and invaded. I dont blame them for being livid. I would probably hire someone to find the guy who took the pictures and have his hands broken to the point he wouldnt be able to use them again. Oops, did I say that? Seriously though. I truly hope that something will be done that will be more than a slap on the hand. This person obviously has no life and nothing better to do than to make this couple miserable. I like to think the old saying is true " What comes around, goes around " and all involved will pay in some way or another.

Even more amazing just saw a French paparazzi complaining about the British not publishing the pictures.
Will it take another accident in a tunnel before anything gets done?

In an age where people make sex tapes in order to become famous, sell stories about their sex lives for a few $$ to get 15 minutes of D List celebrity and post nude pictures of themselves on Facebook have we totally and willingly given up the concept of privacy?

The French paparazzi must be absolutely horrific.
I remember last summer, they also managed to get pictures of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark when they were vacationing on Caix, I think they had stuck their lenses into the hedge or something like that because they obviously had no idea they were there at all. Poor William and Catherine is all I can say.

Lol I do love P charles, thanks for posting

Impressed ever more with Kate. Grace under pressure, no pouting.

I think it's part of the whole "celebrification" of royalty theme that we're seeing over and over again. Royals do a serious job: they represent their nations in time of national sorrow and jubilation, do visits overseas, and recognize good works within local communities. However, that role is being over-shadowed by publishers of celebrity magazines and t.v. programs that emphasize the physical to the detriment of awareness of the work that these people actually do. :ermm:

We get to share their joys and sorrows and all of their triumphs, do we have to share in their bodyparts as well?? Catherine is a human being not an object. This breach of privacy is a lack of respect, which stems from the dehumanization of all of these lovely women. They're objects.

Last edited:
Before they married, I had my doubts about Katherine. I've warmed to her since the wedding but in all of this, the dignity of the Duchess shines through. Look at her today - doing her duty, meeting people, promoting good causes. She's worth a million of that photographer and I couldn't more proud to have her as part of our Royal Family.

Two things I'd be interested in knowing:
Does the judge who will hear this case have any discretion in the amount the magazine is fined, (assuming William and Catherine win)?

And, is it possible to sue the individual photographer who took the pictures, in addition to the magazine that published them?

Two things I'd be interested in knowing:
Does the judge who will hear this case have any discretion in the amount the magazine is fined, (assuming William and Catherine win)?

And, is it possible to sue the individual photographer who took the pictures, in addition to the magazine that published them?

According to the French Law, the magazine, the editor and the photographer can endure one year in prison and a fine of aproximately 50 000 euros.

Slightly veering off the topic ...

... [snipped]
Aren't they putting on sunscreen? I don't know if I consider that baking themselves.
I have an aversion to tan and sun bathing. As I have stated previously in other threads, tan equals plebeian. Sunscreens are artificial compounds that might be ineffective to protect long sun exposure. The data related to the sunscreen efficiency is contradictory. I am for long-sleeved clothes, hats, and parasols.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom