The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #941  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Kit's Avatar
Kit Kit is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 767
The ironic thing is that William and Kate were even in this scandal "lucky" that just the topless pictures of her appeared. Imagine if they had printed pictures of her completely naked and apparently such pictures exist.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 AM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
The ironic thing is that William and Kate were even in this scandal "lucky" that just the topless pictures of her appeared. Imagine if they had printed pictures of her completely naked and apparently such pictures exist.
The bottomless pictures were printed in a Danish Magazine.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #943  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Also respectfully, most people I've spoken to don't go into their backyards and disrobe. Most are on Catherine & William's side in this but there's still a question mark as to the extent of the nudity. I've spoken to European who accept the topless as natural but are just a confused as the other part. I did speak with one lady who's boyfriends' family was Mediterreanean and the all got completely nude to sunbathe but other Europeans I've spoken don't.
Perhaps they were about to have sexual relations? Since we can assume that the Duchess would not expose her breasts were she to suspect she was visible, and that William would not "allow" her to had *he* suspected she was visible ... we can assume that they were operating under the assumption of privacy.

I don't know - but sometimes my husband and I had sex when we were in private.

Didn't the editor of Chi, the Italian publication, indicate they had such photos? Or photos of a more personal nature? Didn't he suggest William should stop his action because "it could be worse". I'm too lazy/on vacation and I do this for a living so I don't want to track that down and provide a citation, but it seems to me such a thing was said/implied.

Here's the rub: why in the world is her level of nudity germane? I am not sure I follow the thread of thought back to relevance. What difference does it make at all how nude, what they were doing, what they were thinking, what their carnal intentions were or were not? It's just more speed bumps set up in front of the real issue so we can justify our ambivalence to the violation/crime, in my opinion.

YMMV.

The thing is this: once we get to the reasonable assumption of privacy we should have a full stop. What they were or were not doing, what they were or were not thinking ... these are things they did not want us to know/speculate upon - we know this because they were working under the assumption of privacy.

For us to use what happened behind the wall of privacy as a reason for justifying the invasion is really wrong. Yes, I mean that in a moral sense.

For us to speculate on what or why they were doing it is human. For us to judge it is rude.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Kit's Avatar
Kit Kit is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
The bottomless pictures were printed in a Danish Magazine.
OMG. That's all I have to say.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Ladies and gentlemen, the act of stalking a married couple and photographing them with an 800 mm super-telephoto lens from over half a mile away on their large private estate is ILLEGAL. Full Stop! Clothed, partially nude or fully nude, it makes no difference whatsoever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,857
Apparently there are lots of topless pictures from the honeymoon shelved at the agencies that werent printed as yet, so Kate seems to have the habit of doing topless. Nothing wrong with that but paparazzi are a close nit community so if one magazine reckless enough not wanting to share with others sent a photographer knowing she might pull blank during her vacation in France it was an easy job.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
And with the people that matter, the British public, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are winners. 82 percent think its wrong to publish the photos and 72 percent agree it was right to sue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #948  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
And with the people that matter, the British public, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are winners. 82 percent think its wrong to publish the photos and 72 percent agree it was right to sue.
I dont know why one cannot include the other? While I agree with what is said above, at the same time I wondering, what was she thinking???

In terms of winners, in Britain for certain. Rest of the world, I am not so sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #949  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
Perhaps they were about to have sexual relations? Since we can assume that the Duchess would not expose her breasts were she to suspect she was visible, and that William would not "allow" her to had *he* suspected she was visible ... we can assume that they were operating under the assumption of privacy.

I don't know - but sometimes my husband and I had sex when we were in private.

Didn't the editor of Chi, the Italian publication, indicate they had such photos? Or photos of a more personal nature? Didn't he suggest William should stop his action because "it could be worse". I'm too lazy/on vacation and I do this for a living so I don't want to track that down and provide a citation, but it seems to me such a thing was said/implied.

Here's the rub: why in the world is her level of nudity germane? I am not sure I follow the thread of thought back to relevance. What difference does it make at all how nude, what they were doing, what they were thinking, what their carnal intentions were or were not? It's just more speed bumps set up in front of the real issue so we can justify our ambivalence to the violation/crime, in my opinion.

YMMV.
It's germane because it speaks to the judgment of the most popular royal couple in the world. If the nudity were no big deal then why was there a spread in multiple magazines. If there were just pictures of Catherine in her bikini the lawsuit may have taken place but the story would have come and gone in the blink of an eye.

Whether people are allowed to have the discussion or not the question's about their judgement is out there and that doesn't mean people are not are their side
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #950  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
It's germane its about the judgment of the most popular royal couple in the world.

What? You're saying because they are the most well known/popular royal couple that the details (proceeds from a crime, in fact) related to the invasion of their privacy are germane to the public interest?

I disagree strongly.

Maybe the public is interested, but it is not in any way, by any stretch, a matter of public interest - which is the only circumstance under which it would be germane. If they had photographed them doing drugs, for instance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
If the nudity were no big deal then why was there a spread in multiple magazine, a lawsuit and this thread?
That's sort of the point, isn't it? The popular interest in their nudity fueled a criminal act.

This thread, and my participation in it, has nothing to do with the nudity and I do not have an opinion on it, in fact. This thread and my personal participation in it is about the interest I have in the criminal act that resulted in the violation of their privacy.

My interest, if I have one, is in protecting the Royal Family of my country against scurrilous judgments of their character based on "the nudity" and to ensure the world, or the part of the world this thread touches, that there are those of us who do not care about the contents of the photos - ONLY the fact that they were taken.

YMMV
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #951  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,009
Should We Be Scared of Kate Middleton's Naked Breasts? - Forbes
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
What? You're saying because they are the most well known/popular royal couple that the details (proceeds from a crime, in fact) related to the invasion of their privacy are germane to the public interest?

I disagree strongly.

Maybe the public is interested, but it is not in any way, by any stretch, a matter of public interest - which is the only circumstance under which it would be germane. If they had photographed them doing drugs, for instance.




That's sort of the point, isn't it? The popular interest in their nudity fueled a criminal act.

This thread, and my participation in it, has nothing to do with the nudity and I do not have an opinion on it, in fact. This thread and my personal participation in it is about the interest I have in the criminal act that resulted in the violation of their privacy.

My interest, if I have one, is in protecting the Royal Family of my country against scurrilous judgments of their character based on "the nudity" and to ensure the world, or the part of the world this thread touches, that there are those of us who do not care about the contents of the photos - ONLY the fact that they were taken.

YMMV
This is my point exactly, the interest is there whether you or they like it or not. William's mother was killed because the paparazzi were chasing a car driven by a drunk chauffeur, and that was 20 years ago. If death isn't going to stop the interest there is not enough outrage on your part to stop the interest in their personal lives or the intrusion. That's the reality no matter who likes it or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Good article, actually.

I think, and it just hit me this morning, that my most enduring reaction is sadness. Profound sadness. We're such a sick, sad society that even people who are willing to give up 90% of their privacy and toil for the rest of their lives in service to us are not immune to our petty, selfish and small-minded intrusions and insults. This is no spirited discourse on their roles, how they play them or their value as "Royals" - this is prurient, debased, curiosity coupled with smug judgment from armchairs all over the world.

Question becomes: is there *anything* we will respect more than our curiosity and our "right to know"? Is there *anything* we hold in such high regard that we are willing to defend and honour that thing, even at the cost of aspects of our own lower nature? Is there *nothing* sacred anymore?

The answer, from all the things I have read seems to be "no". And not even a sad no, but a smug, self satisfied, "hell no!"

So, yeah. It makes me sad. I'm an idealist at heart, it seems.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
This is my point exactly, the interest is there whether you or they like it or not. William's mother was killed because the paparazzi were chasing a car driven by a drunk chauffeur, and that was 20 years ago. If death isn't going to stop the interest there is not enough outrage on your part to stop the interest in their personal lives or the intrusion. That the reality no matter who likes it or not.
Yes, you're right, of course. That's the reality.

I suppose I believe we ought to be working to change the reality, not succumb to it with hands in air in a classic "what can ya do?" pose, or worse, in a "can't beat 'em so might as well join 'em" pose.

Yes, I really am that "naive". And I am well educated, well employed in a field that demands I be aware of current events and the temperature of the public in general, not young at all and have certainly had enough personal experience to warrant some cynicism :)

Thanks for the reply.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

From the article



Maybe Kate’s breasts are really about everyone’s endangered privacy, an issue that’s increasingly on our minds in this era of Facebook and government and private video cameras lurking nearby wherever you go, your location easily tracked through the mobile device in your handbag or pocket. You don’t have to be the beautiful Duchess of Cambridge to be afraid that somebody somewhere is going to catch you doing something you’d rather not be seen doing.

---------------

And that to at least is what the whole thing is about. Its not about the topless pictures or even who she is (although they certainly play a BIG role) its about how this lack of privacy. Are we so desentitized by social media where people feel the need to share EVERYTHING that we don't get it when someone's feels that their privacy has been violated?
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
... Its not about the topless pictures or even who she is (although they certainly play a BIG role) its about how this lack of privacy. Are we so desentitized by social media where people feel the need to share EVERYTHING that we don't get it when someone's feels that their privacy has been violated?

And there you have it, folks. In a succinct nutshell.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
If people want to see 'boobies' , just scan the right-hand side of the DM and you can fill your boots. TOWIE z-listers giving it away to all and sundry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
And we all thought icons were those things we clicked on to open an AP. LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Sonjapearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In front of my Mac, United States
Posts: 606
One thing I certainly I have learned in regards to these photos, is how judgmental and prudish some people are. Instead of being upset over someone's privacy being violated, some people are losing sleep over a woman being topless on private property with her husband. I guess the world will come to an end thanks to a woman being at ease with her body and not being so uptight about it.

Unbelievable.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #960  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Catherine J's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And we all thought icons were those things we clicked on to open an AP. LOL
Funny. I did LOL.

And, weirdly, to point. Privacy is not a Facebook setting ... it is a fundamental human right :)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland pregnancy president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]