The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Not sure if this was posted...
Quote:
Based the latest poll , though, at least one in five Britons were quick to scour the web for those very images that no UK paper would dare touch. (Undoubtedly, the interest in the photos was purely scientific.)
The results of the YouGov poll of 1,600 UK residents, published in the Sun paper in London, revealed that a huge majority of Britons (72 per cent) backed Will and Kate's decision to sue Closer magazine over the photos taken at a private chateau in France.
On the other hand, natural curiousity has a pretty strong pull in cases like this ... the forbidden fruit, so to speak.
The pull is especially strong among the young in Britain. Almost half (47 per cent) of those 18-24 years old found the images online, and most of those were men (surprise!). Among 25-39-year-olds, that number was 32 per cent. The older the resident, the less likely they were to bother looking.
The Royals Watch
Curiosity killed the cat, I guess.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

If little were made of this, it would have died. Actually, I think, more has been made of this here, than anywhere else. No one is killing themselves for copies of this crap. One topless woman among many. I thougt you, Europeans were so open minded and we Americans were such Puritans.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Talking of mass hysteria!! god, she has some delusional fans out there. As if she were that important and had done something great for humanity. Some poeple need to get a life!
OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then. Frankly, I'm glad there are people out there who support Catherine and are outraged by what was done to her. You think that she's done nothing great for humanity? And what exactly have YOU done that's so helpful to make such assumptions? Take a look at the faces of the people who meet her (especially the children), and you'll see that quite the opposite is true. In all reality, I would be outraged if something like this was done to ANY female, royal, famous, or not, because it's disgusting and outrageous. You appear to enjoy watching some get humiliated, and that's rather low.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then. .
I think you will find that the only person who fits that bill is a certain young lady from Argentina who married a certain Dutch prince.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I think you will find that the only person who fits that bill is a certain young lady from Argentina who married a certain Dutch prince.
I think you're right, but I didn't want to make assumptions.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if this is giving Kate a secret ego boost? I know it would me watching everyone go crazy over my naked chest.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Two thumbs up for Daria_S and NGalitzine !!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Two thumbs up for Daria_S and NGalitzine !!
I do try .

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Im´quite fed up with your assumption of my admiration for Princess Maxima, even if it were true, it has nothing to do here. Please take the trouble of revising my posts and check that I haven´t commented in the Dutch forum for almost a year.

Quote:
OK, I would love to be a fly on the wall when something similar is done to a royal woman that you admire and respect. Bet your tune would be different then...
The only forum I usually comment is the Monaco, and not exactly because I admire of respect anyone there, but out of curiosity. My admitration and respect go for other people who deserve praise for their hark work and achievements in life. Caroline has made the same silly mistake of sunbathing topless. Did she care? I don´t think so, why should I? On the other hand, William and Kate seem to take the matter more seriously than it is, why? because they think they are untouchable? What do they think? that they can sunbathe naked in front of a road and no one will dare take a picture because they are what they are? It looks like the press is not afraid of them. They are publishing anyway, so William can go on with the suing, he´s only making things worse.

I don´t know if I understand your point, are you glad because some journalists are being threatened because Kate does not still get what her position in life is and continues to behave like a trashy celebrity? That is some way of showing support!!

As some are comparing to Harry, at least he was naive, and believed on strangers who were in his room, but he was not showing his jewels on a balcony so that anyone with a lense could photograph him naked. He was betrayed! I thought he was very stupid when it happened, but he was most probably drunk and knew he was going to war!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I have not commented on this situation so far but want to make one point. Neither William or Catherine are celebrities, and for French or Swedish, Italian or any other publisher to define them as such is an error. Nor do they act or wish to be considered as celebrities. Kardashianes are celebrities, d-z listers are celebrities - chasing publicity to keep themselves in the public eye.

The separation of famous/well known needs to be separated from celebrity.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Majesty

Another great post! I wish the gutter press knew the difference, but they're called the gutter press for a reason; they just want to print a bunch of trash, without caring for anyone's dignity or feelings. I agree; the Cambridges are NOT celebrities, and therefore, should not be treated as such by ANY press. They don't go out of their way to get attention (be it positive or negative), and I bet my last penny that if they had a choice, they'd do their charity work without any press present.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Daria - thank you. It drives me mad when this happens.

I have seen a range of opinions but another point is that the taking and distribution of these photos was illegal so I woul question those who think that no action should have been taken.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
The only forum I usually comment is the Monaco, and not exactly because I admire of respect anyone there, but out of curiosity. My admitration and respect go for other people who deserve praise for their hark work and achievements in life. Caroline has made the same silly mistake of sunbathing topless. Did she care? I don´t think so, why should I? On the other hand, William and Kate seem to take the matter more seriously than it is, why? because they think they are untouchable? What do they think? that they can sunbathe naked in front of a road and no one will dare take a picture because they are what they are? It looks like the press is not afraid of them. They are publishing anyway, so William can go on with the suing, he´s only making things worse.

I don´t know if I understand your point, are you glad because some journalists are being threatened because Kate does not still get what her position in life is and continues to behave like a trashy celebrity? That is some way of showing support!!

As some are comparing to Harry, at least he was naive, and believed on strangers who were in his room, but he was not showing his jewels on a balcony so that anyone with a lense could photograph him naked. He was betrayed! I thought he was very stupid when it happened, but he was most probably drunk and knew he was going to war!
Let's get something straight; Kim Kardashian, and her entire family are trashy celebrities, while the Duchess of Cambridge actually has something called class and integrity. And to clarify my point; I'm glad that the public is outraged at the press for invading the privacy of two people who were on a holiday, and not a public engagement. If the press is getting threatened over it, that's too bad, but maybe it'll get the point across. William's suing is a step in the right direction too, because he's letting these vultures know he's taking a stand and will not let the walk all over him and his wife (and later on children). Does that help you understand me better? Quite frankly, I don't know how else to break it down for you, because no matter what anyone says, you'll just continue to write biting comments about this couple, and show glee over their misfortunes (and believing that Henry was betrayed is preposterous, because he should have taken better care as to whom he allowed in his hotel room; William and Catherine, as far as I know, didn't let any stranger into the house that they were using when their privacy was invaded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Daria - thank you. It drives me mad when this happens.

I have seen a range of opinions but another point is that the taking and distribution of these photos was illegal so I woul question those who think that no action should have been taken.
No problem . I agree with your point here too. If no action was to be taken, then things like that will continue to happen again and again, and that's unacceptable.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy

Well I have not read this whole thread. Here is my two cents. While I applaud them for sueing, if that is what they are doing, I also have to say they should have known better.

Yes they deserve privacy, who doesn't? however, they are very very high profile, and in today's world unfortunetely there is really no such thing. Lenses have a long reach (why don't they know these things?) While the Duchess may want to do these things, she simply cannot anymore. Yes it's not fair, but life isn't fair.

This genie isn't going back into the bottle, as much as they may want to try.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Why do people still have such a hard time understanding that French law was broken? Do they not get the simple concept that if a law is broken people should be prosecuted and that the injured person has the right to sue?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
...'Kate Middleton' stopped existing on the morning of 29 April, 2011, when she married His Royal Highness, Prince William of Wales.
Catherine Elizabeth Middleton became HRH The Duchess of Cambridge on her wedding day. You can also throw Princess William in there too but I don't see that there'll ever be any reason for that to be used. One of the first things I learned about the wive's titles is that the given name (in this case Catherine) is only used in a case of divorce. Then she'd be Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge like Diana and Sarah did.

No matter what the press calls her, or we call her or Aunt Flossie down the road calls her with her teeth out, she is a member of the British Royal Family and in that capacity alone, I think she merits respect. One does not have to worship the ground she walks on or even find her an asset to the world around them but to jump into a conversation and purposely over and over denigrate anyone to me is a mark of someone throwing gasoline on a fire in hopes of inflaming all the area around it. What we have here is for the most part, intelligent debate and discussion that is done without making off the wall derogatory statements against any person. I believe that there are other places and forums where one can go and deride a person till the cows come home but this is not one of those places.

I suggest that those that do find posters that seem to be negative about anyone as a regular habit and find them annoying to make use of the "Ignore" function on these forums. If you don't feed into them, they eventually will go away.

Now... back to our regular scheduled debate and discussion and thank you for letting me say my piece here.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Aristocracy

Trolls bore me. Trolls masquerading as people with something legitimate to add to the conversation make me laugh. I have moments when I *swear* they are taking themselves seriously. Which makes it more funny, in that perverse way that such things do.

I've had a good laugh here tonight.

Oh pitter patter ... you can't win reasonable fights with unreasonable people. Best thing to do is give them the thing they hate the most. A little dry chuckle into your sleeve and then ... nothing.

What was it that Emily Dickinson said? Oh yes, The soul selects her own society, Then shuts the door ...

That all said, I admire the defense of the Duchess ... you guys rock :)
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Yes the French law was broken because there was a lucrative opportunity. What I dont get is the mindset of William & Kate - do they think they get a pass because of who they are, seriously, with all the history and recent Harry-Gate, how can one assume that paparazzi will not use their chance when spotting Kate topless, breaking the law or not.

I seriously doubt her understanding of her role if Kate thinks she can in private continue to behave like Jane Average and pull the "law breaking" card. Its delusional, sorry. If you want to go topless, just do it and stand by it, like other royals. But please dont think you can do it unnoticed as William's wife & future Queen.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna
Kate's topless pictures prove we need to start respecting privacy - Comment - Voices - The Independent Quote: Of course it’s a matter of supply meeting demand. There seems to be an insatiable desire for celebrity images, and the more humiliating the better. But morally, because demand is there, does that validate the supply? I think a re-evaluation into the realms of what we find acceptable is needed when it comes to prying unabated, before it’s a case of vultures feeding on other people’s shame. There should be no justification for selling images of someone else’s intimate moments without permission.
I agree, just because there are those who like something thats wrong doesn't mean people need to give it to them. There is so much that people want but it is not given to them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
TBH, if it was me and I was that far off of a distance that the only way I'd be photographed with my top off was by someone blatantly invading my privacy (regardless if I was Queen of the World or just Mrs. Joe Schmoe), I would assume that I had absolute privacy from prying eyes. I cannot in any way blame either Will or Kate for assuming that they had total privacy and that it wouldn't be breached. As it stands, it was not only a breach of privacy by law but also by common decency of the photographer. I do hope that they do prosecute to the full extent of the law on criminal charges in this matter.

When we really think about it, anyone can get a picture of anyone anywhere if they really wanted to and had the means. If a license plate can be photographed by a satellite, the technology is out there to grab a photo of bare breast from space. As our technology advances, perhaps its time to really draw the line of just what will be tolerated and what will not.