The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Thanks Osipi..And your views are similar to mine..Its just an inevitable accident..And this is what they are going to do for the rest of their lives (let hell may fall on them)--CARRY ONNNN

"All of this sure makes me realize that one thing I do not ever want in my life is 15 minutes of fame let alone a lifetime of it. Perhaps I can sell my 15 minutes on Ebay to someone? [/QUOTE]"

Here u cant Osipi..you are just born to be that..

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

I think the term "public figures" are a better description for William & Kate than celebrity. William was born into his position and Kate had a difficult choice marry him and give up your freedom or keep your freedom and don't marry the man you love.

I don't understand the need for 20+ page spreads of the pictures, after the curosity of seeing one picture why do you need 20 more pages of the same thing.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Kate Middleton topless photos: Police probe staff at Viscount Linley's French chateau | Mail Online

I have always suspected that it was someone on the 'inside' that tipped off this peeping tom photographer. Just my opinion.

So even if those pics hadn't been taken Kate was still stripping off in view of (one would hope for safety reasons) her bodyguards and taking a very big risk of staff in the villa seeing her. This idiot has probably cost certain people their job due to her irresponsible exhibitionism and I say irresponsible because she should have known, for all sorts of valid reasons, not to have done what she did.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
So even if those pics hadn't been taken Kate was still been stripping off in view of (one would hope for safety reasons) her bodyguards and taking a very big risk of staff in the villa seeing her. This idiot has probably cost certain people their job due to her irresponsible exhibitionism and I say irresponsible because she should have known, for all sorts of valid reasons, not to have done what she did.
Every residence has private areas. Why do you think that William and Catherine were having 'private time' in front of staff and bodyguards??

And as far as 'irresponsible exhibitionism' , I won't dignify that with a response.

Edit: People forget that William wasn't exactly fully clothed. It is a large estate, I'm sure the staff were busy doing whatever staff do.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Every residence has private areas. Why do you think that William and Catherine were having 'private time' in front of staff and bodyguards??

And as far as 'irresponsible exhibitionism' , I won't dignify that with a response.
So how do their detectives protect them if they can't see them?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
So how do their detectives protect them if they can't see them?

Even HM and the Duke have private areas of BP where they can be alone.

I don't think protection officers have to be standing over W&C to ensure they are protected.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

The whole point of servants is that they fade into the background but I am sure it would not be the first time a servant has seen a nude or semi nude royal. If the staff at the Linley estate are French I doubt they would even bat an eye at seeing a woman sunning herself topless.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Courtier

I strongly doubt that W&K (or HM&DoE) engage in sexual situations or are deliberately nude in the presence of security or housekeeping. To suggest such is quite crude.

Although it is certainly possible that housekeeping has seen something- I'm pretty sure my occasional housekeeper has never seen us naked, though! (hope not, anyway)
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I strongly doubt that W&K (or HM&DoE) engage in sexual situations or are nude in the presence of security or housekeeping. To suggest such is quite crude.
I don't think I was suggesting staff watch them having sex but I would be very surprised that household staff had never encountered a royal in the buff. Sunbathing topless is hardly a sexual act. Now I am not suggesting they are as brazen as Winston Churchill and walk about in the nude, but it does stand to reason that staff who come into your bedroom in the morning to draw open the curtains or run a bath or help with your clothing might have seen you undressed. Hardly a big deal.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm probably more conservative than most, but I never would have considered going topless while in the vicinity of our servants.

While my sympathies all completely on William and Kate's side and I considered the publication of the photographies a gross invasion of privacy that must not go unpunished, I'd like to point out a couple of points (all my opinion and point of view):

1. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the most famous couple in the world. More famous than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, David and Victoria Beckham or any other "super couple". They know they are followed 24/7 and have to be more careful. At all times. Even when they think they are safe from prying eyes. The topless pictures were top news even in Armenia for several days - and we report news on royalty not more than once a year.

2. The reality is that they can trust very limited number of people, and certainly cannot rely on the discretion of photographers. Harry's recent Vegas adventure should have taught them a lesson or two as well. They should have considered the possibility that one of the stuff might take and sell pictures, no matter what sort of confidentiality agreements had been signed. And while the sympathies of people appear to be firmly on their side right now, the unfortunate pictures will always be there for anyone to see if a simple Google search is made.

3. William and Kate should be more careful about the number of holidays they take, regardless of their length or whether they really, really need them. If I'm not mistaken, at the time they were in France the Paralympic Games were taking place in London. I remember a couple of articles stating they made few Paralympic appearances because they were preparing for their upcoming tour: the revelation they were enjoying another holiday will not bode will with the British people, especially long-term.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
On the lighter side of things.....

Oh how times have changed! Back in the time of Henry VIII, one of the most prestigious jobs of employ in the Royal Household was the "Groom of the Stool". How close was he really to the King? You guessed it. He was the royal arse wiper. Now that is getting up close and personal methinks.

Royal-Arse-Wiper
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

IMO, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can take as many 'holidays' as they want as long as it fits in with William's RAF schedule.

William is a millionaire and the segment of the British public that complain about the Royals, will always complain no matter if W&C never left Wales.

IMO the closing ceremony wasn't an issue either. The Earl of Wessex is Patron of the British Paralympic Association, and he was representing HM in that capacity.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I'm probably more conservative than most, but I never would have considered going topless while in the vicinity of our servants.

While my sympathies all completely on William and Kate's side and I considered the publication of the photographies a gross invasion of privacy that must not go unpunished, I'd like to point out a couple of points (all my opinion and point of view):

1. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the most famous couple in the world. More famous than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, David and Victoria Beckham or any other "super couple". They know they are followed 24/7 and have to be more careful. At all times. Even when they think they are safe from prying eyes. The topless pictures were top news even in Armenia for several days - and we report news on royalty not more than once a year.

2. The reality is that they can trust very limited number of people, and certainly cannot rely on the discretion of photographers. Harry's recent Vegas adventure should have taught them a lesson or two as well. They should have considered the possibility that one of the stuff might take and sell pictures, no matter what sort of confidentiality agreements had been signed. And while the sympathies of people appear to be firmly on their side right now, the unfortunate pictures will always be there for anyone to see if a simple Google search is made.

3. William and Kate should be more careful about the number of holidays they take, regardless of their length or whether they really, really need them. If I'm not mistaken, at the time they were in France the Paralympic Games were taking place in London. I remember a couple of articles stating they made few Paralympic appearances because they were preparing for their upcoming tour: the revelation they were enjoying another holiday will not bode will with the British people, especially long-term.
I have no opinion on the number of holidays William and Catherine take, but the logical outcome of a person, (or couple), consistently guarding against your number 1 and 2 scenarios is a life of never ending suspicion and paranoia that I think would drive anyone mad. Whenever they're in public they're surrounded by press and nosy people with camera phones. When they're secluded on private property they need to worry about long range lenses and who knows what other, ever more invasive technologies that will certainly become available over the next several years. When they're inside you suggest they need to guard against the housekeeping staff as well as, I assume, the various civil servants and government employees who will be in and out of their homes as time goes by.
I guess one solution to this problem is William and Kate accepting the idea that someone may ALWAYS be watching them, no matter what, and behaving accordingly. To me, though, it seems much more sensible, not to mention more compassionate and humane, to punish the criminals rather than the victims.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
IMO, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can take as many 'holidays' as they want as long as it fits in with William's RAF schedule.

William is a millionaire and the segment of the British public that complain about the Royals, always complain no matter if W&C never left Wales.

IMO the closing ceremony wasn't an issue either. The Earl of Wessex is Patron of the British Paralympic Association, and he was representing HM in that capacity.
I agree - they are a privileged class and they will take vacations. HM and the DoE take 8 weeks in the summer, 6 weeks at Christmas. The younger royals tend to break it up into short stints between their other commitments. And as they take them in more public locations, ski resorts, islands, there are more sightings. More and more I'm beginning to understand why some just retreat to a castle.

As for the closing ceremonies - they were never expected to attend. They were leaving on their tour the next day. A late night event before travelling 1/2 way around the world doesnt make sense for anyone. They were seen at the airport at noon on Monday.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I have no opinion on the number of holidays William and Catherine take, but the logical outcome of a person, (or couple), consistently guarding against your number 1 and 2 scenarios is a life of never ending suspicion and paranoia that I think would drive anyone mad. Whenever they're in public they're surrounded by press and nosy people with camera phones. When they're secluded on private property they need to worry about long range lenses and who knows what other, ever more invasive technologies that will certainly become available over the next several years. When they're inside you suggest they need to guard against the housekeeping staff as well as, I assume, the various civil servants and government employees who will be in and out of their homes as time goes by.
I guess one solution to this problem is William and Kate accepting the idea that someone may ALWAYS be watching them, no matter what, and behaving accordingly. To me, though, it seems much more sensible, not to mention more compassionate and humane, to punish the criminals rather than the victims.
William and Kate - or any of the royals - are NOT like the rest of us. They enjoy life of an immense privilege, but have to pay a high price for that: they have no privacy at all. Because they are royals and are, to a large extent, funded by taxpayers, they are regarded as more or less public property.

Now, millionaires or just well-off people can have as many vacations as they want and no one will say a word against them: for instance, I took three vacations last year, each lasting two weeks. However, the royals are different because even when they personally fund they trips, the security is still covered by the taxpayers. They have to be incredibly the public mood - and taking seemingly endless number of vacations when the country is in difficult times (economy-wise) is not a very good idea. At least, that's my perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I agree - they are a privileged class and they will take vacations. HM and the DoE take 8 weeks in the summer, 6 weeks at Christmas. The younger royals tend to break it up into short stints between their other commitments. And as they take them in more public locations, ski resorts, islands, there are more sightings. More and more I'm beginning to understand why some just retreat to a castle.

As for the closing ceremonies - they were never expected to attend. They were leaving on their tour the next day. A late night event before travelling 1/2 way around the world doesnt make sense for anyone. They were seen at the airport at noon on Monday.
I never said anything about the Closing Ceremony. However, as Paralympic ambassadors, both William and Kate were expected to attended considerably more events than they did. Their absence would have been understandable if William were working and Kate - preparing for the tour, but that was not the case.

I would like to add that everything I wrote is strictly my opinion. No disrespect is meant either to the Duke and Duchess, or any members of the forum.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobility

These Editors and the paps have learnt nothing. Their actions are vile and vomitous people...who should experience a dose of their own medicine.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
So even if those pics hadn't been taken Kate was still stripping off in view of (one would hope for safety reasons) her bodyguards and taking a very big risk of staff in the villa seeing her. This idiot has probably cost certain people their job due to her irresponsible exhibitionism and I say irresponsible because she should have known, for all sorts of valid reasons, not to have done what she did.
Angela, you're missing the point. Instead of blaming the duchess who was spending quality time with her husband, she was subjected to this. She didn't ask for this. It was their time alone and what they do alone is no one's business. They live in the public eye and they deserve the space and respect his mother did not get. Her photos are splashed over the internet. it is a violation akin to sexual assault. So don't blame the couple. It is totally unfair. It's like if i were walking around my house in my undies and took a long lens shot and put it in the paper. I would feel violated. Taking a photo of someone, an ordinary person in the street unbeknowst to them is illegal. So why are paps allowed to take pictures of people who are famous when they are unaware or in their down time. It's not newsworthy. Paparazzinng should be subject to hefty, hefty fines on the individual paps. Editors and publishers who do publish should be subject to the same penalties.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if our attitudes about privacy have changed because of such TV shows like "living with Kardashians" and the Real Wives shows showing people 24/7.
If we can watch them, why not the royals 24/7.

I do not see why Catherine is being blamed. She was at a private home not a public beach. The picture were taken by an extremely long range lens from a road or maybe the actual property.

I do think these pictures will have serious repercussion on future relationships between Prince William and the media.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I do not see why Catherine is being blamed. She was at a private home not a public beach. The picture were taken by an extremely long range lens from a road or maybe the actual property.
According to the DM, the picture was taken from the road.
Here is the approximate location of the photographer.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia

I never said anything about the Closing Ceremony. However, as Paralympic ambassadors, both William and Kate were expected to attended considerably more events than they did. Their absence would have been understandable if William were working and Kate - preparing for the tour, but that was not the case.

I would like to add that everything I wrote is strictly my opinion. No disrespect is meant either to the Duke and Duchess, or any members of the forum.
Artemisia, I wasn't debating you, I was merely agreeing with Duke-of-Earl, who commented on the closing ceremony absence.