The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Remenber Prince Frederik at a private party after his twins' baptism, that was supplied by a "friend" and published by this rag.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
It's interesting, too, to read some of sophistry surrounding publication of the photos. No, the Duchess wasn't visible from a public road without a high-powered telephoto lens; the Duchess was doing nothing unusual at all; I can't imagine that the Duchess has a body or figure which is remarkable in any way; the Duchess was well within her rights to assume privacy; the Duchess, the victim, is suffering the feeble attempts of the invaders and publishers to shove the responsibility on to her, which is arrant nonsense! The purpose was purely to mortify the Duchess and the Brtish Royal Family; any other 'explanation' is utter rubbish!I agree 100%. They only wanted to mortify the Duchess and make money doing it.

And good for the angry husband who has shown that he means what he says! He will not permit his wife to be persecuted as his mother was; he is of strong enough character to attack the gutter press, which few before him, anywhere, have been and above all, his private, domestic life, and his wife, are of real value to him. I couldn't admire him more.
I certainly admire this young man for protecting his wife immediately. He has more back-bone than I thought. Argues well for his character and love of family. Plus, there is not a doubt in my mind that his father and grandmother were 100% behind him. This invastion of privacy [especially on private property] is getting out of hand. I don't understand how these mutations of the gutter press can even persecute family members of well known people without them being sued. The relatives have not asked to be in the public eye [ example Letizia's sister or celebrities' children while at private parties] SICK! There are enough people out there that want their 1/2 nude pictures published without seeking out ones that don't.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Have there been pics of Victoria, Mette-Marit, Mary sunbathing topless?
I guess, the main point is: if you are a princess, you do NOT go topless. Fullstop.

You have many privileges as a princess, but also many threads... and this is one of them. I have never seen the Nordic princesses or Letizia, Maxima topless, because they simply understood the point. Kate did not (yet), surely she will know now.
Sometimes learning can hurt ....

BYe Bine
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I have never seen the Nordic princesses or Letizia, Maxima topless, because they simply understood the point.

Probably you've never seen them topless because no one has published pictures of them topless, not because they've never sunbathed topless in a private place.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
Probably you've never seen them topless because no one has published pictures of them topless, not because they've never sunbathed topless in a private place.
Hi, Daz Voz,
you can be right. But the issue is: They never catched them unprepared. That is the point. And I know, that there has been paparazzi pics from all princesses sunbathing as well..... i.e see Letizia last year, MM this year. All with their bikini tops on .
BYe Bine
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I totally agree what is the future Queen of England thinking that at anytime that this oaky IMO it is not and she has been caught out before so IMO she has done nothing to help herself.
She was realy stupid to take such a risk KNOWING about camera lenses and so on ... no sympathy from me and lets hope she has learnt her lesson.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Oh, they give them enough to talk about, even though the Scandinavian princesses keep their tops on. And I don't think the press is really interested in the BRF. But this is a scandal now (not just the pics but also the law suit) and it sells.

I am also quite sure if these were pictures of Mary or Mette-Marit they would be printed in the British press and your comments would be quite different.
It's difficult to figure out the motives, at least of the Danish and Swedish magazines.
The interest in the BRF isn't huge here, because we have our own "young" royals.
It's just naked breasts! Hardly a novelty.
People who dislike the magazines, won't buy them anyway, at best they will flip through the mag at the hairdresser.
99% of all men wouldn't dream of buying the mags, just to look at grainy pics of breasts. (*)

So what can be the motive?

Well, as I see it it's a combination.

A) Hope to arouse curiosity and increase sales through that, particular from people who are standing in line at the supermarkets and who would otherwise not have bought the magzine.

B) Pushing the envelope and see how far they can go.

C) Show people, and not leasts royals and celebs that they, the magazines, cannot be curbed or intimidated by lawsuits. Because freedom of speech, the public has a right to know and.....

D) Confirming their own (twisted and pretty childish) feeling and reputation of being the "bad boys" and those "who dare".

- I've said it before, we have the medias we deserve.
The only thing such magazines respect is money.
The money from the readers who buy the magazines and the advertizers.

So, don't buy the magazine, don't even read it used (and as such expose yourself to the advertisments, because it's just as much the advertisments that sell), that's the best response from us.

And I don't buy the argument that if you boycott such a magazine it will be pointless because others will buy it anyway. - That's just an excuse to do nothing.

(*) Well, at least not in this day and age. Back in the mid 80's there was a Swedish singer called Carola Häggvist, and she was pretty hot and there was no way she would perform, wearing less clothes than her talent. So when a mens magazine (Rapport) announced that they had topless pics of Carola in the next issue, I as a young lad, rushed to buy the mag, - only to be so disappointed, because the pics turned out to be sattelite-photos.
But today, with the Internet, no.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Majesty

I apologize in advance to anyone who's already commented on this post. Under English Common Law, the female spouse takes the surname and/or title of the husband. Therefore, Catherine is legally HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. That's her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I do not know how is the law in England. In Greece for ex. women do not change their maidname upon marriage. Catherine would be Catherine Middleton, all her life. You even NOT add your husbands name. So might in England be the name. If according to the English law, she stays Catherine Middleton, it's normal for the French legal documents, to referr to her like this.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly I would be just offended if it was Victoria, Letizia, Mary or the lady down the street. I believe its a gross invasion of privacy no matter whose picture is being taken w/out their consent in a private setting.
I don't have double standards either. If it was Victoria, Letizia, Mary ... I would pity them - and be astonished about their stupidity.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
I guess, the main point is: if you are a princess, you do NOT go topless. Fullstop.

You have many privileges as a princess, but also many threads... and this is one of them. I have never seen the Nordic princesses or Letizia, Maxima topless, because they simply understood the point. Kate did not (yet), surely she will know now.
Sometimes learning can hurt ....

BYe Bine
This is a FULL SENSE comment. You said all.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I apologize in advance to anyone who's already commented on this post. Under English Common Law, the female spouse takes the surname and/or title of the husband. Therefore, Catherine is legally HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. That's her name.
In France, on legal and official documents, the maiden name is used. Since the it was a French court, usage of Mme Catherine Elizabeth Middleton is correct.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Courtier

Letizia have had topless pictures publish, Frederik have had picture of him jumping buck naked from a boat publish. All these victim blaming, "my princess is too smart" to be violated and a victim quote from here are disgusting
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

I am almost positive that Letizia had topless photos of her taken as well but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Serene Highness

What I don't get is this, when anyone travels to a foreign country or jurisdiction, they are always told to obey the laws and customs of that country

If the Duke and Duchess had broken a French law while on vacation (speeding ticket or whatever) I doubt people would say that speeding is a 'stupid' law and the Duke and Duchess should just ignore it.

People would rightly say that they broke the law and should pay the fine or ticket, whatever.

Why is it different with The Closer or this disgusting photographer?

France has laws in place that say it is illegal to invade someone's privacy in this manner, so to say that the Duke and Duchess are in the wrong is classic victim blaming IMO.

Yes the photos are already out there but that doesn't mean that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge shouldn't stick up for themselves.

I am sorry for beating a dead horse but my blood boils over this incident.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Courtier

^^She did, they are on another forum where they embedded the photos in the thread (don't have to click the link to see it.) She was on a rooftop sunbathing. It was wrong then and it wrong now for some pervert to take pictures of a woman like this. I don't care if they are famous, they are still human and should have to take being violated by others. They should have to learn that being violated is okay (learned her lessons?) because of who the marry.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Letizia have had topless pictures publish, Frederik have had picture of him jumping buck naked from a boat publish. All these victim blaming, "my princess is too smart" to be violated and a victim quote from year are disgusting
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean when you say: "a victim quote from year are disgusting"?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
What I don't get is this, when anyone travels to a foreign country or jurisdiction, they are always told to obey the laws and customs of that country

If the Duke and Duchess had broken a French law while on vacation (speeding ticket or whatever) I doubt people would say that speeding is a 'stupid' law and the Duke and Duchess should just ignore it.

People would rightly say that they broke the law and should pay the fine or ticket, whatever.

Why is it different with The Closer or this disgusting photographer?

France has laws in place that say it is illegal to invade someone's privacy in this manner, so to say that the Duke and Duchess are in the wrong is classic victim blaming IMO.

Yes the photos are already out there but that doesn't mean that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge shouldn't stick up for themselves.

I am sorry for beating a dead horse but my blood boils over this incident.
Some people think she public property so she has no right to privacy so she should be treated like a zoo animal. Others think the BRF are arrogant (to other royals) and the deserve to be hounded and hunted by the press and the take great pleasure of seeing them in pain (see the person who was joking about it being a long range sniper instead).

All I'm seeing is that the world is full of vile people and the people who encourage their behavior
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean when you say: "a victim quote from year are disgusting"?
I meant here.

All the victim blaming that I'm seeing are disgusting
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

The finnish gossip magazine "7 päivää" (from Aller) didn't publish the topless photos, although it's sister magazines in Sweden and Denmark did. The editor of 7 päivää says that they didn't publish the photos, because they have been taken to the private yard, which is illegal in Finland.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

This will be my last opinion on this sitaution.

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge was sharing a private moment on private property where no one can see them from any road. This is a couple that try their best to keep their private life private as much as possible, so I somehow doubt they would've let their guard down if they felt like the property they were on wasn't safe enough.

The person who I think was in the wrong was the photographer and the magazines that decided to publish the pictures. Oviously the royal couple, royal family and the palace thought the same and they stood their ground on privacy. They deserve some rights to privacy just like everyone else. I don't think anyone should allow any photogaphers to invade their privacy to take private pictures of them and publish them.

I applaud the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge on the way they handled this situation and I think the Duchess showed a great deal of strength while she carried out her duty on the Diamond Jubilee Tour. She could've crumbled over this but she didn't and I think she be applauded for it.

Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Duchess Kate is a tough cookie | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writersExpress.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express