The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Exactly! Everyone interested has seen the pictures, and from what I can gather, most don't think they're such a huge deal.

(Like me- I just don't get the rabid interest in these pictures! I mean, Kate is a pretty girl, but you can see more at just about any beach. She doesn't have anything any other woman doesn't have.
And there's thousands of photos of women who are definitely more well-endowed than Kate! So, just what is the purpose of gawking at these blurry photos?)

I think the purpose is natural curiousity and current belief that we (and I say this generally speaking) have the right to see, know and comment on everything. I mean, I realize how odd that is to say on a forum that gives us the opportunity to do just that but as a society we (again the general we) just don't value privacy anymore. We have people who will sell their souls (as well as the souls of any close family member) to be famous for 15 minutes. We have people in this very thread that think that Kate brought this on herself and by dating and marrying William she should have known that her life wasn't her own. And that she isn't nor she should ever expect to have a private moment.

But let's be honest, if Kate wanted to show her breasts to everyone why woudln't she have done so a nude beach. I assume that one can do that in certain parts of the world. It would be different if she went topless at a resort, or on a balcony in a hotel where anyone could see her. But nope, she was a private home and lets' face...from what I can see (via pics of course) there is no way in the WORLD anyone could have just noticed her takign off her top.

As you point out, there are other women who are more well endowed than Kate but let's be honest, unless something dramatically changes.....how many of them are the future Queen of England? Its all about IMO seeing the future Queen's breasts!

Frankly, I see this as a disasater for a lot of people besides Kate. The photographer must have made alot of money but I wonder if they will question if it was worth it if they are caught, made to go to jail or pay a huge fine. And than, what if the photograher is sued for pain and suffering? The Closer obviously lost some money, the Irish Star lost their financial backing, the editor was sacked (I really don't feel bad for him) and the newspaper might close ( I do feel bad for the employees). I mean, I wonder at the end of the day, was it all worth it for this people? Oh and karma, is going to get Chi magazine IMO its just a matter of time.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the editor was suspended; when did he get fired?

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
You are right...I thought he was sacked but looks like just suspended pending an investigation.
http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-daily...e=twitter_self

Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Yes suspended. Of course if the paper goes under as a result of his decision to publish he may wish he had been sacked. At least then he would have received some payout. Kharma can really bite.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Given that the French court ruled that the photos were taken illegally, I don't see how any reputable publication could possibly justify printing them?

I've also never been able to understand why the press in countries with their own monarchies seem so interested in pictures of British royals. Are the Swedish and Danish royals not out and about giving them things to talk about?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

At times it feels like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge along with Prince Harry, are the only three royals on Earth.
My opinion is that unless the tabloid press and the young royals can come to an understanding, I can see the three of them walking away from all this crap.
No human being deserves this level if intrusion and if the British public don't want to end up with a King Andrew, then I suggest the tabloids need to 'chill' lol.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

My last comment was not meant as an insult to the Duke of York.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Given that the French court ruled that the photos were taken illegally, I don't see how any reputable publication could possibly justify printing them?

I've also never been able to understand why the press in countries with their own monarchies seem so interested in pictures of British royals. Are the Swedish and Danish royals not out and about giving them things to talk about?
I think the Swedish and Danish royals are definintely out and about and give these tabloids enough to do. But unfortunately for Kate and William there is a lot of interest in them worldwide, hence the coverage of this scandal in the various countries.

Not only that, is pure and simple greed IMO. The Closer can't publish the magazine, Hello and its various outlets wont, US magazines can't (unless they 1) pay for the privilege and than block out the bits that everyone is interested in) otherwise they would have to be published in Playboy or another magazine in the mature reading section of the newstand, according to soapstar no one is buying Chi in Italy.

So the Danish and Swedish magazines think they may have an a demand, plus they can use that very common and often used comment..its a public interest story and we are obligated to bring it to our readers.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
So the Danish and Swedish magazines think they may have an a demand, plus they can use that very common and often used comment..its a public interest story and we are obligated to bring it to our readers.
I am guessing those readers must be prepubesent boys who might never have seen naked breasts and the kind of guys who sit alone in their room at night looking at naked pics on their computers because a real woman will never enter their bed.
Must be hard for editors to keep a straight face when they justify their decision to publish when anyone with half a brain knows it is all about the almighty $$, which in the digital age is getting smaller and smaller every day for magazines and newspapers.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I am guessing those readers must be prepubesent boys who might never have seen naked breasts and the kind of guys who sit alone in their room at night looking at naked pics on their computers because a real woman will never enter their bed.
Must be hard for editors to keep a straight face when they justify their decision to publish when anyone with half a brain knows it is all about the almighty $$, which in the digital age is getting smaller and smaller every day for magazines and newspapers.
Really $$ is the motivating factor but they will use the public interest mantra until the cows come iMO. As you stated the digital age has had a negative impact on magazine sales, so this is extra plus for those who want to look at the pictures. They WILL have to buy the magazine.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

There are certain things that are off limits. The pictures that were released went above and beyond was is off limits. A lot of it was motivated by money but I would imagine some people try to push the envelope as far as they can. This time they went too far.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Oh, they give them enough to talk about, even though the Scandinavian princesses keep their tops on. And I don't think the press is really interested in the BRF. But this is a scandal now (not just the pics but also the law suit) and it sells.

I am also quite sure if these were pictures of Mary or Mette-Marit they would be printed in the British press and your comments would be quite different.

I am ambivalent about the whole thing. On one hand - as a woman - I pity Katherine, on the other hand I am astonished about so much stupidity. Since the late 50's the media does not respect the privacy of famous people, there have been numerous examples in the BRF itself. And only a few days after the Harry scandal Katherine thinks her privacy will be respected? This is stupidity combined with arrogance - so typical for the BRF. She has accommodated herself well, it seems.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

"even though the Scandinavian princesses keep their tops on."

Surely you jest.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

Have there been pics of Victoria, Mette-Marit, Mary sunbathing topless?

I know there were pics of a nude Frederik in print and no law suit followed.
But as some poster already said: it's always different with men.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Have there been pics of Victoria, Mette-Marit, Mary sunbathing topless?

I know there were pics of a nude Frederik in print and no law suit followed.
But as some poster already said: it's always different with men.

Some people commenting on this 'scandal' like to portray Catherine as being 'morally flawed' for the 'perverse' behaviour of removing her top in front of her husband in the expectation of a private setting.

IMO, Scandinavian princesses do go topless when they are in private settings with their husbands ( at least I hope they do) and the only reason It is different for men is because society has bizarre double standards for woman and princesses.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Courtier

The reason, of course, that William and Kate are pursued is that, whether other monarchies or people like it or not, the British Royals are the most famous, admired, loved and sometimes most reviled, in the entire world. They are the ultimate global 'celebrities'. Beyond Europe, and except, probably, for South America, most other global citizens (the vast majority of some billions) would be hard pressed to name any royal at all from a nation other than Great Britain. None, except the British Royal Family, even registers.

The decision of the Swedish and Danish press to publish these photographs (already shown on Spanish television), given that they've now been formally declared illegally taken, is a disgrace. One wishes no harm, intrusion or humiliation of their royals, of course, but these places are really opening the floodgates to the scurrilous press, and the Victorias, Marys and Letizias of this world will now be seen as justifiable 'targets'. Given that some paps are now using drones with cameras attached, the private lives of them all can now be opened to the public gaze and ugly gawking which will always attract the envious, the plain nasty and the sick voyeurs.

It's interesting, too, to read some of sophistry surrounding publication of the photos. No, the Duchess wasn't visible from a public road without a high-powered telephoto lens; the Duchess was doing nothing unusual at all; I can't imagine that the Duchess has a body or figure which is remarkable in any way; the Duchess was well within her rights to assume privacy; the Duchess, the victim, is suffering the feeble attempts of the invaders and publishers to shove the responsibility on to her, which is arrant nonsense! The purpose was purely to mortify the Duchess and the Brtish Royal Family; any other 'explanation' is utter rubbish!

And good for the angry husband who has shown that he means what he says! He will not permit his wife to be persecuted as his mother was; he is of strong enough character to attack the gutter press, which few before him, anywhere, have been and above all, his private, domestic life, and his wife, are of real value to him. I couldn't admire him more.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Gentry

They most likely, like other magazines made millions out of this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet View Post
They most likely, like other magazines made millions out of this.
Kind of doubt that, limited market share after all plus production costs. I expect the photographer has done rather well though.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Oh, they give them enough to talk about, even though the Scandinavian princesses keep their tops on. And I don't think the press is really interested in the BRF. But this is a scandal now (not just the pics but also the law suit) and it sells.

I am also quite sure if these were pictures of Mary or Mette-Marit they would be printed in the British press and your comments would be quite different.

I am ambivalent about the whole thing. On one hand - as a woman - I pity Katherine, on the other hand I am astonished about so much stupidity. Since the late 50's the media does not respect the privacy of famous people, there have been numerous examples in the BRF itself. And only a few days after the Harry scandal Katherine thinks her privacy will be respected? This is stupidity combined with arrogance - so typical for the BRF. She has accommodated herself well, it seems.
Honestly I would be just offended if it was Victoria, Letizia, Mary or the lady down the street. I believe its a gross invasion of privacy no matter whose picture is being taken w/out their consent in a private setting.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Honestly I would be just offended if it was Victoria, Letizia, Mary or the lady down the street. I believe its a gross invasion of privacy no matter whose picture is being taken w/out their consent in a private setting.
Zonk, thanks for this. YOu have been a breath of common sense and dignity in this discussion.