The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Nobility

So much for seeing the royal family jewels!!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

I think William already knows the power of the media as he's had to live with it his whole life. It's not his first trip to the rodeo (as it were). But there comes a point when enough is enough. The media seems to be forgetting that they need the royals, too, and if that relationship is destroyed, that benefits no one. If you don't put your foot down at the beginning you'll never be able to get anything done later.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I sometimes think the media and certain commentators underestimate just how 'tough' the Duke of Cambridge is. IMO HRH does not take abuse from anyone and the tabloid press cross him at their peril.
I'm sure the last thing Closer thought was they would wind up in court having TRH lawyer staring them down lol.
Yes, I agree. I think William is a product of (a) his experience vis a vis his mother's life and death and (b) the times in which he was born - most people his age are more media savvy than their parents were. He might well be a figurehead and have no "kingly" powers - but that does not mean at all that he is not a powerful individual who wields tremendous influence.

I also think that he is very traditional, by nature and by position, and likely takes this as an insult to his wife. THAT would be the bit that would be the most problematic, IMO. He'll play it around in his mind and, some day, in the fullness of time, we will see his response. Mayhaps it will simply be that they never break ranks, the Cambridges, and they win by always walking the high road.

Ask me, the tabloid press took the beating here. I am not a reader, generally speaking, but now I will *never* feed the machine.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Gentry

I think it's dumb how there suing the magazine company who posted the pictures. So anyone takes a picture of Catherine or William doing something inappropriate will be sued (ohh i'm so scared.) Dumb waste of money and time.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Gentry

The media doesn't need the royals not like the monarchy of Britain going to last long. Scotland has 2 more years to decide to they want to stay within the monarchy or become an independent country. This is the 21 century we don't need the monarchy.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet View Post
The media doesn't need the royals not like the monarchy of Britain going to last long. Scotland has 2 more years to decide to they want to stay within the monarchy or become an independent country. This is the 21 century we don't need the monarchy.
Oh dear me. You should have stayed in school long enough to get the grammar basics down, at least. Your arguments are hard to follow, in the literal sense because they're hard to decode into English and in the figurative sense because they defy logic and sensibility.

I imagine the arguments I might pose would fall on deaf ears but I will say this: we don't *need* lots of things. Some things have value beyond *need* in the sense I expect you mean it. Moreso, in fact, in the 21st century when most of our traditions have been removed by similar minded people.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
With repsect, Scotland's independence is far from a done deal (for many reasons) and the SNP is not touching the issue of the monarchy. Polls show that IF Scotland leaves the Union that Scots want to retain their monarchy.

As for not 'needing' a monarchy, you're right but the polls consistently show that the large majority of the public WANT a monarchy and that is what matters.

The discouraging thing for 'republicans; in the United Kingdom and also in Canada is that although they are vocal, they are a small minority. In fact the BRF is at an all time high in popularity and IMO the reality of a republic was much more realistic 100 hundred years ago. I personally foresee a monarchy in Canada and the UK for generations to come. (sorry for being off topic and the mods can delete this post)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it's dumb how there suing the magazine company who posted the pictures. So anyone takes a picture of Catherine or William doing something inappropriate will be sued (ohh i'm so scared.) Dumb waste of money and time.
1) They were not doing anything inappropriate
2) They were on a private holiday, in a private home on a private estate and their legal right to privacy was violated by the photographer under French law. The magazine that published the pictures also violated their privacy under French law.
3) The couple sent a strong message that they are willing to fight to protect their privacy. Press who will want access to the couple in future, to be accredited on tours or photo ops, will have taken note. Drawing a line in the sand and sending out that message is hardly a waste of time or money.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

I understand that the palace is demanding the photos handed over and are urging no more publication of the photo and for every day that they dont hand it over they will add millions day by day until they hand it over.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Good grief!!! What exactly does it show? That they are a married couple? That in private on private property they might sunbathe topless or even nude? Big whoop!!! Hardly shocking or wrong or unangelic. Many people do exactly the same thing in private and if you happen to visit the beaches of the Mediterranean or the lakes around Berlin you will see exactly the same thing in public. Heck since you are I believe in Toronto I suggest you hop onto a ferry to the Toronto islands on a hot sunny day and take yourself to Hanlans Point and you will find hundreds of ordinary Torontonians letting it all hang out on the beach there. Not shocking. Not scandalous. Not wrong. Not impure.

FYI you even live in a place where it is perfectly legal for a woman to walk topless through the streets of the city, and yes it has been done.
You know everyone in France does it all the time. Run around butt naked whatever people are just to damn sensitive. I mean look Princess Diana did it, Sofia, etc. So what makes her so special.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You know everyone in France does it all the time. Run around butt naked whatever people are just to damn sensitive. I mean look Princess Diana did it, Sofia, etc. So what makes her so special.
LOL your arguments are all over the place aren't they and all of them miss the point.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic.....thank you!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

Well I for one am all for a lawsuit. I saw that the rat who took the pictures ran for safety into his hiding spot. I suppose he thinks someone will come looking for him mafia style, haha. Cant wait to see what happens to him. I think the paps should maybe chill out for a bit and leave William and Catherine alone for a bit. I would not want to push the issue considering how they are feeling right now, especially William. He is probably wound up tighter than a rubberband on a ponytail.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Gentry

I'm not going to touch this subject cause anytime I post something someone seems to get offended.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Serene Highness

I think its because of the way you word things. Nothing wrong with having an opinion but there is a correct way to get your point across.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Gentry

I see thanx
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Culture and traditions are not a matter of "need". The monarchy is the form of governmant that some countries have chosen to keep. The reigning King/Queen is the head of state. It really is up to each monarchy to decide if they want to keep the parlamentary form or not. All of the european monarchies are democracies so the people have the choice to say what they want.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Royal Highness

Now that "Closer" was slapped by court, I guess the next editor will think twice if he or she buys such pics and rans them. Which is IMHO what William and Catherine want. With the law suit they showed that they react and as tough as possible
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Serene Highness

^^What if next time she thinks twice if she takes off the top and pulls her bikini down? So, the lady wants to sunbathe naked in front of a road and then whants the paparazzis in jail because of her stupidity? How is it that French laws are not that strict as regards exhibitionism?

I´m so sorry for the Irish people who lost their jobs for nothing. The pictures are our there anyway, no matter how much William whines.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Majesty

By that reasoning, we should expect front-row seats when the Duchess delivers her first child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Richard Littlejohn of the DM went as far as to say that the Duchess is 'public property' and should expect photos any time and anywhere.