The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

This story has many angles to it. Privacy, A member of the royal family or it could be anyone else exposing themselves to members of the servant staff?. A camerawoman (middle aged) taking pictures. Who alerted this camera woman that the Winsors were visiting the private house? and Kate was sun bathing in the almost nude. Where were the bodyguards?. My apartment has a terrace which extents from the diningroom past the livingroom through the bedroom and I do not venture out without being properly covered eventhough my apartment is higher than the 14th floor.Agatha Christie could not write a better story. A high powered camera could have been a high powered rifle. I always keep my curtains closed. They are sickos with By----. Kate and Williams should not let their hair down. Who took those pictures?. A Woman.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
As an American, my response may be a little daft for those of you in the UK....but why can't the royals just cover up when they go outside? Like we do in America? What is the draw of exposing oneself and taking a risk like that? Even if there aren't paparazzi around....there are security personnel. Do you really want to expose yourself to security personnel who work for the crown? Why can't they just cover up? Can't you just tan around the bikini top?
You're trolling, right?

"Like we do in America?" Been out on Main Street, AnyCity, USA lately? What passes for "dressed" can be mighty trashy and revealing in the good old USA.

I think this ought not to be a debate on the toplessness itself. Since there is nothing illegal, immoral or improper about the act and privacy was expected and planned for it veers too closely to blaming the victim.

YMMV

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Thomas View Post
This story has many angles to it. Privacy, A member of the royal family or it could be anyone else exposing themselves to members of the servant staff?. A camerawoman (middle aged) taking pictures. Who alerted this camera woman that the Winsors were visiting the private house? and Kate was sun bathing in the almost nude. Where were the bodyguards?. My apartment has a terrace which extents from the diningroom past the livingroom through the bedroom and I do not venture out without being properly covered eventhough my apartment is higher than the 14th floor.Agatha Christie could not write a better story. A high powered camera could have been a high powered rifle. I always keep my curtains closed. They are sickos with By----. Kate and Williams should not let their hair down. Who took those pictures?. A Woman.
Their naivte is what strikes me also. I can totally relate to your apartment dwelling experience as I lived in both NYC and Paris apts for some years. In each case, I could unwillingly see into others' apartments so took extra precautions for myself.
Maybe they have always lived in the country.
The security aspect is of course, what matters.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Their naivte is what strikes me also. I can totally relate to your apartment dwelling experience as I lived in both NYC and Paris apts for some years. In each case, I could unwillingly see into others' apartments so took extra precautions for myself.
While I think security is one of the issues, I feel that the invasion of privacy is the paramount issue.

IMHO, of course.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
William and Kate were not in the middle of NYC or Paris or in an apartment, though - they were at a secluded house, not even particularly close to a road. Completely different situations.

And no, they haven't always lived in the country.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Clothed, half clothed, naked .... In this case there was a reasonable expectation of privacy. It is really not the level of dress, it is the fact that a peeping Tom (yes, that is correct) trained a camera on people who were on private property and took pictures unbeknownst to them, dressed, half dressed, or undressed makes NO DIFFERENCE. It is, as I understand against the law in that country to take pictures without permission of those being photographed in a private situation.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
Oh. My. Goodness.

I cannot believe some of these responses.
You and me both. The utter obtuseness of certain people leaves me discouraged and angry. How do you engender such loathing towards people you've never met and never will meet?

There are celebrities I don't care for and because of that I don't read about them, I don't go on message boards and insult them, nor do I take every opportunity to call them lazy or entitled or any other hateful word that comes to mind. I just ignore said celebrities and get on with life.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Nobility

Thank you. I really enjoyed reading that.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
Oh. My. Goodness.

I saw a quick image in a video (I think, can't recall) where they were getting on a plane the day this all broke. She had her hand on his back as they went into the plane and, I swear, I thought it one of the most touching things I have ever seen.

I cannot believe some of these responses.

Apologies if I seem rude. I'm just shocked - that comes out as rude sometimes.
I saw a picture of her hand on his back and it was very touching. It was almost as if she was consoling him and assuring him that everything was going to be okay.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I saw a picture of her hand on his back and it was very touching. It was almost as if she was consoling him and assuring him that everything was going to be okay.
William and Harry have both voiced concerns regarding the difficulties their future wives will face due to their positions. I cannot help but suspect that this stems from what they have experienced in their own lives. William's huge concern has always been to protect Catherine, unlike his mother she has not courted the press in any way, moreover, she was in his presence when the photos were snapped, thus he undoubtedly feels responsible for not protecting her on many levels. Technically, of course, he is a victim as well, and could have taken the same legal steps if he had been photographed alone.
As for those complaining about 'playing the Diana card' too often, I disagree, the press certainly plays that card w/ great regularity in several ways to sell their drivel, but, unlike this incident, I do not recall either Harry or William doing so in regards to other cases of press intrusion.
I was pleased to see they are seeking criminal charges, but somewhat surprised at how little in civil damages they are seeking. We'll know tues. whether injunctive relief will be granted. Does anyone know enough about French law to explain why they are seeking a set dollar amount as a penalty for each day the publication fails to remove the magazines? How often do they print this magazine - is it a weekly? One hopes it will cost the magazine a pretty penny to collect and destroy all of the issues.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about French laws but perhaps they have a 'cap' on how much damages one can seek per day or in total?

LaRae
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the Cambridges had some sort of security with them.

William & catherine did put duty first ahead of their short vacation. They carried out official engagements throughout this year. They attended the official engagements with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, they attended the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Trooping the Colour, Olympic & Paralympic ceremonies and games. They have also supported their charities too. So what do you mean that they haven't put royal duty first? They can take a little vacation if they want to, just like all the other royals and non royals.

They were also official ambassadors for the Paralympic Games - something at which it was expected they would attend. Kate did so a couple of times but William never did. They then used the excuse of 'prior commitments' to avoid attending the Closing Ceremony surely an event an official ambassador should have attended.

If that event had been William working or Kate doing an engagement elsewhere fine - but to be on holidays - that is not right.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They were also official ambassadors for the Paralympic Games - something at which it was expected they would attend. Kate did so a couple of times but William never did. They then used the excuse of 'prior commitments' to avoid attending the Closing Ceremony surely an event an official ambassador should have attended.

If that event had been William working or Kate doing an engagement elsewhere fine - but to be on holidays - that is not right.
William attended some events in the first week, and then went back on duty with the RAF. Their holiday was only three days towards the end.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Majesty

What bothers me is this: what if the stalkers didn't have cameras but had guns or some other weapons? Would the protective services still have been unaware that they were there?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
What bothers me is this: what if the stalkers didn't have cameras but had guns or some other weapons? Would the protective services still have been unaware that they were there?
Probably. The set-up of the villa and the pool would make it impossible to protect someone wanting to lounge by the pool.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

They attended a few events throughout the olympics, so personally whether they attended the closing or not, isnt much of a big deal. There support was shown throughout the games and they did a great job.
Taking 3 days off before a huge tour is the least they could do, especially after William working as well as Kate, not forgetting the couple have been busy throughout the olympics at various olympic events.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet View Post
That's exactly what i'm trying to say. They try to make them look like pure angelic people when there not. Now the cover is blown and this shows who they really are.
I doubt anyone who ever saw the pic of Catherine modelling that see-through "dress" at university believed she was in private wearing burkhas. Go figure! So what "cover" was there blown? The fact that Catherine delights in highlighting her nice body occasionally does not diminish the fact that she on public engagements always dresses suitable.

Why is it so difficult to understand that Catherine owes most of us nothing at all and the Britons only part of her being because she promised that more or less on marrying William and accepting a Royal position?

Some here react as if she had been seen committing adultery on a public road...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Aristocracy

Kate and Willian are innocient victims of money hungry people. The woman who took those pictures does she have a daughter?. I do not see what is the big fus of nude or almost nude pictures. Our fore parents Adam and Eve lived in the garden of Eden in their birth clothing. Men have seen women nude(in person). Why a woman should want to see nude pictures of another woman since they have the same birth clothing by nature.

Kate is now a member of the Royal Family. Experience is our best teacher.
Tomorrow is another day and this dark cloud will pass like all others.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can I be one to suggest that this need it's own thread? There are what 15-20 pages plus discussing this and whilst it's an event it's not like it's one Catherine or William are 'attending'.

Henry got his own thread pretty quick?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

William and Kate are angels?! Lmao! Didn't they live together for years before they got married? Were they saying the nightly prayers and then going to separate rooms? Did William never see Kate topless until their wedding nite?

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012