The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
And treats us as if it's ok to treat our bodies as sexual all the time- like that's what we exist for and our consent is not necessary to treat us that way.

I've seen so many comments elsewhere about her body and people's opinions on it and what they'd like to do with her, etc and it just makes me feel sick. She's a person, with feelings, and her private time with her husband doesn't belong to the world, and her body certainly doesn't.

It also just makes me feel sad and a bit defeated that so many people, including a lot of women, feel otherwise.

IKR? Especially some "so call feminist" who are supposed to defend women against this, are acting like it okay b/c of who she is

Sometime I think we will never be treated differently or as equals. We will always be objects and many people including women will fight to keep it that way.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Society only views women as object not as human with rights
I would wager a large sum of money that it is women who make up the biggest part of the readership of the type of magazines that publish pictures like this so it would be women objectifying other women.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would wager a large sum of money that it is women who make up the biggest part of the readership of the type of magazines that publish pictures like this so it would be women objectifying other women.
I don't want to go too far off topic here, and this is a complex subject to talk about, but any extensive study of feminist philosophy will teach you that patriarchal societies don't just warp the way men think of women- they warp the way women think of themselves and of other women.

But basically what it means is that the fact that women are participating in this doesn't make it any less sexist.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Darla, I do think it is bad that their privacy was violated, but what is really bad is that this media owner, Berlesconi, is a voyeur and a lush, and caters to the tastes of voyeurs and lushes. If he is going to publish 26 more pages of this stuff--as another poster said--this may be the real issue. How to stop such a man from polluting our eyes and minds with the attitudes of lust which he himself has.

I would suggest that Wills and Kate take more precautions. Stay inside when having intimate times. No one needs to sunbathe. Some might say they have a right to. Of course they have a right to, but in their position they have to give up some of their rights. They have so many great privileges, and opportunities, like traveling the Far east, they should think of that. Or sunbathe next time behind a protective screen which prying lenses cannot penetrate, if sunbathing is that important.
I can't sunbathe even for a minute, because I have a rare genetic disease, which some of the royals themselves have. One has to accomodate to one's circumstances which life has afforded.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think this issue has anything to do with sexism or feminism; but the responses in this thread show that women are still just as cruel to other women as they've always been.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't think this issue has anything to do with sexism or feminism; but the responses in this thread show that women are still just as cruel to other women as they've always been.
See, and I'd disagree. I think the constant watching of Kate's body- did she gain or lose a few pounds, is she pregnant yet, what is she drinking and eating and what does it mean as far as whether she is or is not pregnant, what's she doing in her private time, oooh... let's try and sneak a peek, look at her breasts, isn't it scandalous? I think that whole way of thinking about the female body is really sexist. I also don't believe the men in the royal family face nearly the same level of scrutiny.

Harry's pictures were enough of a privacy invasion- but that was him, nude, with a bunch of other nude people drinking and playing around in Vegas and they were only interesting because the story indicated kind of a night of debauchery. Also, the pictures were only released because someone in the immediate party sold them- there weren't photographers camped out hoping for a peek at his body. The pictures of Kate on the other hand... she wasn't doing anything particularly interesting, and she certainly wasn't doing anything scandalous. It was a pretty normal day of normal occurrences.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
look they are just boobs the paparazzi were out of line but Will and Kate will have to assume some responsibility what with the Harry Vegas episode I would have thought the 'bits' you dont want the public to see on your body shouldnt under any circumstance be put out there even if there is the smallest of risk of being photographed.
I feel sorry for her but seriously if you are the Queen in Waiting topless sunbathing has to head the list of activities that you once enjoyed and can no longer do and Will should have been all over this one.
She is probably more traumatised by the fact that Charles, Andrew, Edward, Philip her Dad or brother have all seen her jubblies. It could make for a very embarrassing family gatherings unless she gets pregnant quick and puts them into breastfeeding mode when its ok to show a bit of boob in public. Oh well its happened now and is engraved in history for all to remember if I were her I would play the "They are just boobs what of it?" and move the conversation along to something else. Before it gets way out of hand spin wise.
I totally agree, helenbeee. It's really not a big deal, but I do hope they have both now aware of the need to make absolutely, positively, one hundred percent sure that they cannot be seen from a public road if they are going to do anything they don't want seen on the front page.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Sadly, this couple could take the Virgin shuttle to Venus for a totally private getaway and wouldn't you know it.... someone has a high powered satellite trained on their backyard.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi
Sadly, this couple could take the Virgin shuttle to Venus for a totally private getaway and wouldn't you know it.... someone has a high powered satellite trained on their backyard.
Unfortunately, I can see that occurring. How depressing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hmmm, so If I were to bring my camera to your neignbourhood as long as I stand on a public walkway you would not consider yourself violated if I took pictures of you through your windows or on your backdeck where you might expect to have some levels of privacy you would not consider yourself to have been violated? Good to know.
that's not the point. you can take as many pictures as you want. i doubt you can do anything with them to be "malicious" to the other person: no magazine will buy them off you to publish them on their cover. it would be virtually no way the "violated person" would know you took those pictures and my guess is that you would delete those pictures off your digital camera after at the very most a couple of hours yourself: how weird would it be to show your holiday pictures to your friends and land to a picture of a naked stranger! (i bet that wouldn't make you very popular amongst your friends)

however, the situation with W+K is different as all magazines would want to publicise such material. so, on this basis, they should be extra careful, more so than the normal lambda citizen.

these positions come with lots of advantages and certain disadvantages. this is one of them, your "freedom" will be somewhat reduced, and i'm sure they understood that well by now. this is not much different from the pictures the press takes of kate going shopping in london or around for walks with her dog.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
Well, I don't get the "she should have known better" point of view. Even if no sensitive body parts were involved, the other pictures are still considered as a huge invasion of privacy. The main point should have been that long lens were used to take pictures from far far away.

And I don't think there is any problem with the security. The photos were taken using long lens from HALF A MILE away from where the royal couple were. They can't possibly ask their security to clear the whole area just for them whenever they are privately doing their stuff. Imagine the security cost it would take!
Better a huge security cost than the cost this is going to have on the Cambridges.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

in the economic crises we are in no one would like an increase in security cost in order for Catherine to be able to sunbath topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
Better a huge security cost than the cost this is going to have on the Cambridges.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
This is a forum. People debate in forums. Many points of view give many perspectives. Differing opinions between females doesn't mean we are being cruel to each other. I don't think any less of a person who has expressed a different point of view to my own. We might agree on something else down the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
in the economic crises we are in no one would like an increase in security cost in order for Catherine to be able to sunbath topless
A different way of looking at it.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Majesty

I really don't think anyone should be blaming Catherine for this situation. Despite the house being far from a open road, they were on private property and their privacy should've been respected. Many people sunbath in private and the royals should be able to sunbath in private too.

Harry's situation was pretty different. He was in his own private hotel room and was entitled to his privacy. When he invited a bunch of strangers to his room with camera phones, I think he pretty much invaded his own privacy. William & Catherine didn't have a bunch of strangers with camera phones in their room. They were alone and privately doing their own thing and that's how it should've remained.

William have always been upset with the paps on how they treated his late mother but now they are going after his wife and I think this situation is making his blood boil and rightfully so. I would've been too upset if my wife's privacy was invaded. I know some would think that the royal couple should ignore the situation so it can go away but if they did that, then it's like they are saying it was okay what the paps did and they should be able to do it again. It wasn't okay and I think legal action is the only way to go.

If William & Catherine was on a public beach and the Duchess decided to go topless, I would say shame on her for doing so. That's not the case here. The royals may be public figures but they are human just like everybody else and they are too entitled to some privacy. They have the right to stand up and fight for their privacy just like you and me.

I'm very impressed on how William & Catherine are handling this situation. They are carrying on with their tour as if nothing happened. They aren't allowing the printing of these pictures dampen their mood while they are on this Juiblee Tour. They are pressing on with courage and dignity. Very professional and graceful, imo.

Although, I feel bad that the Cambridges Diamond Jubilee Tour is being tainted by the foolishness of the paps and magazines.

It's a successful tour anyway.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
these positions come with lots of advantages and certain disadvantages. this is one of them, your "freedom" will be somewhat reduced, and i'm sure they understood that well by now. this is not much different from the pictures the press takes of kate going shopping in london or around for walks with her dog.
I sat struggling for several minutes how to word a response to this and I am just flabbergasted!

They were on a private estate and the pictures were taken from over a half a mile away. I would say their "Freedom" wasn't reduced, it was eliminated.

As to the pictures being the same as her shopping or walking the dog, IMHO they are not even close. When shopping and walking the dog, she has chosen to insert herself into the public domain. In these other pictures she has chosen exactly the opposite.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Courtier

The media here is now commenting...they had a segment this morning about the situation and said 2 other mags are going to run the pics, even more pics than have already been shown, more intimate pics.

The media said that William stated the person(s) should be jailed.

I don't think this is going to go away anytime soon.

LaRae
Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM

I think it is disgraceful that the Duchess of Cambridge should be subjected to this intrusion of her privacy. The lass is doing a brilliant job and to degrade her in this way is downright obnoxious.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Nobility

I imagine that one of the reasons the DOC is so angry is that he may have promised her and her parents that he would protect her from this sort of abuse when he asked her to marry him. I hate that this has happened. The photographers and editors are so mean-spirited.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
The topless photos has nothing to do with security. They can not close down an entire community because a royal decides to spend some time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryL View Post
I think it is disgraceful that the Duchess of Cambridge should be subjected to this intrusion of her privacy. The lass is doing a brilliant job and to degrade her in this way is downright obnoxious.
For anyone concerned about privacy. Check out your own back-yard in Google Earth. You may even be in the picture.