Catherine & William: 'Closer' Magazine and Breach of Privacy - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it takes a strong person to marry into the British royal family but I think it also take the royal family to embrace the newcomers. Make them feel at home, secure and give them all the support they will need to carry out their royal roles. Catherine is getting all the support she will need and that really matters.

I don't know if anyone have brought this up but I know the Middletons must be upset about this situation. I'm sure they are glad that the Palace and the royal lawyers are handling this. It can't be easy for Mr & Mrs Middleton to see their daughter go through this.

susan alicia said:
Everyone is applauding their composure but they were unable to acknowledge the native topless dancers, which they should have if only to show that it is not about them but about others.

Huh? I can't remember which article, but the reporter was actually impressed because they did in fact watch the native dancers and spoke with them without any problems at all.

If I'm not mistaken, Prince Charles was photographed inside his own home. So essentially, the royals aren't safe anywhere. It's sad really. I don't blame Kate one bit. The fault lies entirely with the paps.

Has anything "scandalous" ever happened to the Queen? I really hate that Kate is having to endure this, and it got me wondering if the Queen had ever had to endure anything similar. I am quite positive she has never been photographed topless but I think I remember reading about her throwing something (a shoe?) At Prince Phillip one time and the incident being reported. Forgive me if I have gotten this wrong.

Has anything "scandalous" ever happened to the Queen? I really hate that Kate is having to endure this, and it got me wondering if the Queen had ever had to endure anything similar. I am quite positive she has never been photographed topless but I think I remember reading about her throwing something (a shoe?) At Prince Phillip one time and the incident being reported. Forgive me if I have gotten this wrong.

The Queen lived in a different time, at 30 she had other things to worry about than going topless to get a better tan.

The Duchess of Cambridge seemed to get the giggles when approached with necklaces today. Yesterday, when the pickup cum canoe riding the waves stated up she laughed aloud with delight.

I would have cracked up too and then complemented my hosts over and over. It's great that they smile and enjoy themselves. It relieves tension and awkwardness, and lets one get on with the job at hand.

The Queen never been in a situation like this but yes there was an incident with The Queen & Prince Philip. They had an argument back in the day and it was filmed but the film has never been released. You can read more about that here-

Queen Elizabeth: Private side of a thoroughly modern monarch | Mail Online

My take on why W&K are so upset is that THEY GOT CAUGHT. They weren't doing anything wrong, but they've been hiding who they really are. They are no longer "pure" and may not be worthy of all the adulation they get.

Last edited:
"Does anyone remember that Princess Diana was hounded to death by the Paparazzi?
Her son is now witnessing his wife receive the same kind of "no boundaries" treatment that ultimately killed his mother.
And so far not one reporter has made that connection! Is it amnesia? How could anyone forget the state of seige that Princess Diana lived under. And here it is... starting all over again."

Saw that quote in the news today. Thought I'd share.

Weren't William and Kate supposed to be working? That's the reason given for not attending the closing ceremony of the Paralympics. What were they doing on yet ANOTHER vacation? And, between the two of them, they should have had brains enough to realize that taking off her bikini top may not have been the smartest thing to do. They KNOW the paps are everywhere. The French home faced a public road. They have to be mature enough to know that they must take the good with the bad. They live in the lap of luxury at other people's expense and do little in return, especially Kate. They represent the RF and should conduct themselves with that in mind. No, maybe it's not fair that she can't sunbathe topless with her husband, but she is not everywoman. William will be King one day and she should have known better. I'm trying to feel sympathy for these two, but I just can't.

My take on why W&K are so upset is that THEY GOT CAUGHT. They weren't doing anything wrong, but they've been hiding who they really are. They are no longer "pure" and may not be worthy of all the adulation they get.

If they weren't doing anything wrong, then how can it affect how people see them?

If they weren't doing anything wrong, how can it affect their "purity"?

I didn't realize taking your bikini top off in front of your husband made you "impure"!

CarolMR said:
Weren't William and Kate supposed to be working? That's the reason given for not attending the closing ceremony of the Paralympics. What were they doing on yet ANOTHER vacation? And, between the two of them, they should have had brains enough to realize that taking off her bikini top may not have been the smartest thing to do. They KNOW the paps are everywhere. The French home faced a public road. They have to be mature enough to know that they must take the good with the bad. They live in the lap of luxury at other people's expense and do little in return, especially Kate. They represent the RF and should conduct themselves with that in mind. No, maybe it's not fair that she can't sunbathe topless with her husband, but she is not everywoman. William will be King one day and she should have known better. I'm trying to feel sympathy for these two, but I just can't.

William was working during the Paralympics. Catherine attended certain events but no work excuse was given for her not attending the closing ceremony. I agree with everything you say, except the holiday bit. William gets 38 days a year holiday plus extra time before and after training missions or deployment.
He can take his holiday when he likes.

KittyAtlanta said:

... What on earth did they do that was impure or not in keeping with who they really are? For heavens sake, there's nothing at all wrong with a woman being nude alone with her husband, even in very strict religious traditions

Goodness gracious. "They've been hiding who they really are." Really now? There have been plenty of pictures of them over the years on holidays, swimming and sunbathing. Obviously they felt they were in more private surroundings this time and - gasp - she took her bikini top off in front of her husband! On a continent where many, many women are perfectly fine walking around topless on public beaches, I doubt this will strike many as terribly impure.

Are you serious ?

Isabella said:
Goodness gracious. "They've been hiding who they really are." Really now? There have been plenty of pictures of them over the years on holidays, swimming and sunbathing. Obviously they felt they were in more private surroundings this time and - gasp - she took her bikini top off in front of her husband! On a continent where many, many women are perfectly fine walking around topless on public beaches, I doubt this will strike many as terribly impure.

It's insane that people treat the human body like there's something inherently shameful about it.

it was on the bbc news today and they commented on it, that william and kate looked at groups of male native dancers but kept their eyes diverted from the female native dancers who were topless.

Huh? I can't remember which article, but the reporter was actually impressed because they did in fact watch the native dancers and spoke with them without any problems at all.

susan alicia said:
not ashamed, but modest and proud that some things are only for your husband

Well, as Kate was alone with her husband and no intention of being seen by anyone else, this still doesn't reflect negatively on her even if your personal beliefs trend towards the exceptionally prudish.

It's one thing to know they are on vacation, which is fine, but for the paparazzi to take those very private and intimate pictures, while they are on private property and to sell them is another. Their privacy was violated.

it was on the bbc news today and they commented on it, that william and kate looked at groups of male native dancers but kept their eyes diverted from the female native dancers who were topless.

Well, all the video that I have seen shows the opposite. So perhaps the BBC reporter was "spinning" the story for effect?

it does in my eyes, anyone outdoors topless can expect to be seen and watched no matter the distance of the road etc.

You can not on the other hand being the dutches of cambridge expect that no one will photograph you just because you are you.

But we have been over and over the subject and I think we all know each others viewpoint.

Well, as Kate was alone with her husband and no intention of being seen by anyone else, this still doesn't reflect negatively on her even if your personal beliefs trend towards the exceptionally prudish.

susan alicia said:
it does in my eyes, anyone outdoors topless can expect to be seen and watched no matter the distance of the road etc.

You can not on the other hand being the dutches of cambridge expect that no one will photograph you just because you are you.

But we have been over and over the subject and I think we all know each others viewpoint.

Yes, and my perspective at this point is that I don't know how some of you make it through your day to day lives without smelling salts and a fainting couch.

That's exactly what i'm trying to say. They try to make them look like pure angelic people when there not. Now the cover is blown and this shows who they really are.

I rather doubt that most people think Kate's actions were wrong. William is her husband. But it was very, very foolish. My personal opinion has not gone down on Kate...people make mistakes. But William is coming across as a person that I really don't like. If he thinks that he can stop the paparazzi from taking pictures and the world press from publishing them, he is living in lala land.

The Cambridges did their part in the Olympic and Paralympic ceremonies and they decided to take some private time off before their Jubilee Tour. Nothing wrong with them taking a little vacation.

The private property that they vacationed at was very far from any public road, which is why the photographer had to use a very long lense to take the pictures. William & Catherine were at a very private area and their privacy should've been respected.

The royals really don't ask for much. They work very hard on serving the people and all they ask is for a little down time and some privacy. They are human like everrybody else and they deserve some privacy too.

Catherine did nothing wrong but who did do something wrong was the photographer. These paps have to know that there are boundries that they shouldn't cross. If the shoe was on the other foot, the paps wouldn't like if William & Catherine or anyone else took their pictures while they were in the privacy of their own home or on other private properties and sold the pictures for the whole world to see.

This is why many of us are taught as children to treat others the way you want to be treated. If you don't want something bad to be done to you, then don't do something bad to others.

Yes the royals live in the lap of luxury and their jobs comes with a great deal of privilege but that don't mean that their privacy should be violated and treated with disrespect.

It's the media this is just the beginning there going to be more hardships to come just watch.

That's exactly what i'm trying to say. They try to make them look like pure angelic people when there not. Now the cover is blown and this shows who they really are.

I do not understand this at all. She was in a private yard with her husband. She took her top off to sunbathe. What is so impure and non-angelic about this? They are married for crying out loud! I'll bet you Will has actually seen Catherine without ALL of her clothes! What a scandal!

OMG! Who they really are is a married couple that see each other naked! How absolutely shocking!:eek:

I rather doubt that most people think Kate's actions were wrong. William is her husband. But it was very, very foolish. My personal opinion has not gone down on Kate...people make mistakes. But William is coming across as a person that I really don't like. If he thinks that he can stop the paparazzi from taking pictures and the world press from publishing them, he is living in lala land.

My opinion of him has actually gone up significantly because of this.

Back
Top Bottom