Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I find that comment offensive. The name Luana is very popular here in Hawaii. The meaning of the name Luana is "contentment" or " enjoyment" so when a parent chooses a name for a little one here, it has meaning. Whether it is how you felt when you gave birth or what you saw in the heavens or who you saw in a dream. There is always something special about it. Im sure you were not aware that Luana is in the Hawaiian language and used as a name or that it had a meaning. I find the name to be special. Thats all.

I apologies if I offended you but I can still not like a name no matter the story behind it ...and express an opinion.

Of course. As I said, not all are familiar with Hawaiian ways. Just thought I would give a little cultural practice that is done here. No worries, its o.k. Lets continue on. :)

Oh good GAWD don't start this again. It was already been addressed that people who don't like George or Estelle aren't saying they like Apple or North.
I for one like the name George though I will probably call him George Alexander. As for Estelle, it is disappointing that they gave her that name. Everyone else in tr family has such unique yet beautiful traditional names; and then there is Estelle. If they had opted for an "a" at the end it would have been better.

Why would you call him George Alexander when his first name is George? I don't understand why we have to overthink these things to death. His name is George- let's call him that!

Why would you call him George Alexander when his first name is George? I don't understand why we have to overthink these things to death. His name is George- let's call him that!

People are clinging to the Alexander because they don't like the name George and/or are convinced that William and Catherine didn't pock the name itself, but rather had it forced on them and are instead going to call him Alexander or Alex in private.

I love the name George for the little fellow. It is dignified and serious as well as fun. It also links to all sides of the family, represents the patron saints of England and Greece etc and is simply a lovely name.

Princess Victoria must have been hooked on the personality of Estelle Bernadotte, who did have an outstanding life. Her husband was a UN representative and was killed in a plane crash. After that she was really active in charity work during the long time she lived after he died. She often traveled with him but had not been on that plane that crashed. They had two nice looking tall boys but I forget their names. She was like Princess Lilian, accepted by the royal family because she was nice, loyal, charming, and courageous. So I think that is the entire reason why Victoria named the little girl Estelle. If she has another daughter it may be Lilian. It seems she had a happy marriage (Estelle) and Victoria held that up as a grand thing to have.

His name is George Alexander Louis. I'm not making anything up for him just choosing to use his first and second name instead of just the first. I highly doubt William or Kate care,
As for untraditional yet beautiful royal names, the one off the top of my head is Zara also Andrew isn't the name of 35 other family members. There are a few more in the BRF which I can't think of right now. As for other royal families I don't know what is a traditional name and what isn't; Haakon is unique but for all I know it's a common name in Norway.

Last edited:
Andrew though was named after his paternal grandfather.

Well I find that comment offensive. The name Luana is very popular here in Hawaii. The meaning of the name Luana is "contentment" or " enjoyment" so when a parent chooses a name for a little one here, it has meaning. Whether it is how you felt when you gave birth or what you saw in the heavens or who you saw in a dream. There is always something special about it. Im sure you were not aware that Luana is in the Hawaiian language and used as a name or that it had a meaning. I find the name to be special. Thats all.

I think Luana is a very pretty name and I like the meaning of it. :flowers: I also like the name of Prince Friso's other daughter, Zaria.

Estelle (along with Vincent) is in my mental "royal names that are growing on me" list. I wasn't too sure about it at first (I'm still not so sure about Queen Estelle), but now I think it has a pretty sound to it. And Princess Estelle is so adorable! Also, according to Wikipedia, the meaning of the name Estelle is "star".

Last edited:
What do you call Savannah or Isla?

I don't know about normal, but they are definitely not traditional.
Savannah and Isla are not royal, that's why I said I'm yet to see a bizarre and odd name on a Royal children, BUT speaking only on the names they might not be traditional but they're "normal", for me normal is not a name like a fruit, direction or a fiction charater.

Savannah, Isla, Zaria, Luana just to name a few, are normal names that are not hideous, horrid, bizarre and odd like most of the celebrity's kids.

Last edited:
Princess Victoria must have been hooked on the personality of Estelle Bernadotte, who did have an outstanding life. Her husband was a UN representative and was killed in a plane crash. After that she was really active in charity work during the long time she lived after he died. She often traveled with him but had not been on that plane that crashed. They had two nice looking tall boys but I forget their names. She was like Princess Lilian, accepted by the royal family because she was nice, loyal, charming, and courageous. So I think that is the entire reason why Victoria named the little girl Estelle. If she has another daughter it may be Lilian. It seems she had a happy marriage (Estelle) and Victoria held that up as a grand thing to have.

Count Folke Bernadotte did not die in a plane crash. He was killed by people who were then considered Jewish terrorists in Palestine but after the founding if the state of Isreal were considered founding fathers / statesmen/ future PMs and Presidents.

Count Folke Bernadotte did not die in a plane crash. He was killed by people who were then considered Jewish terrorists in Palestine but after the founding if the state of Isreal were considered founding fathers / statesmen/ future PMs and Presidents.

Oh, poor palestinians, they are such a peaceful people. The Jews were only trying to get their land back.

I think the Palestine/Israel situation is a little more complicated than that.

I agree. But I can't stand people attacking my people and Israel.

None of this has anything to do with Prince George of Cambridge. I was simply stating how Count Folke actually died, and pointing out a historical fact. History is written by the victors so at some point one may be a terrorist and if the terrorist wins they become founding fathers of a nation, statesmen etc. If they lose well then they remain just members of a terrorist movement. This applies in any nation that has fought a revolution or war to attain its independence from another nation.

I'm late as usual, but I love how Charles said that George was gonna be Georgie in no time :D

Oh, poor palestinians, they are such a peaceful people. The Jews were only trying to get their land back.

Their land and their land, I think that can be argued.

You guys seriously need to get back in topic. There is no reason to debate an issue as heated as this one in this thread or any other thread on the Royal forum.

Look, everyone likes one name or another. Otherwise, we would all have the same names. Folke Bernadotte was a good man, caught in crummy circumstances. How this got here, I do not understand. Isla and Savannah, are not royal or portend to be. Luana and Zaria have other first names, and are not in line for anything. They are just darling children. Let us leave this go.

Thanks for the correction about how Count Bernadotte died. I didn't know. I was just thinking about how his wife was a considerable woman whom Princess Victoria took as a role model (probably, I don't know for sure why she chose Estelle for her daughter's name. Lots of things I don't know, but merely surmise).

Yes I think Charles is RIGHT ON, when he says George will become Georgie soon.
Of course! Charles is a wise old owl.

Yes I think Charles is RIGHT ON, when he says George will become Georgie soon.
Of course! Charles is a wise old owl.

Some did that to my son when he was little, tried calling him Scottie.

I soon put a stop to that by snarling His name's Scott! at any luckless person who tried it.

(Another thing that works is training a child to ignore all diminutives. I had a friend named Suzanne who simply did not respond to anyone who called her Suzy or Susan. It always went "oh. are you talking to me? I didn't realize, because my name's Suzanne." Simple, and effective!)

Most "celebrities" do not name their children hideous names. The ones who choose odd names like Apple or Rumour get a lot of publicity, but they are not the norm. "Billy" and "Lilac" (for example) are not exactly unheard of, certainly Lilac is no more unusual than Zara.

As to nicknames, I tried to make the point earlier that they can come about without an official announcement - but stick just as strongly. I'm sure that Prince George will remain so in public and in public announcements, but Prince Charles has all but given the media the instruction to use "Georgie" if they wish. I wonder if he feels the name needs to be softened a bit for a baby's use?

Since I associate George with many different, wonderful people who were definitely young at the time I formed an impression of them, it's not an "old" name to me.

We have a similar situation over here. About 20 minutes to the south of where I live is a town called Caledonia, which is near a native reserve. About 7 years ago, long story short, they were going to build a housing development, but the natives stepped in and told the developers that the land they were building on was theirs. It's gotten pretty messy at times.

Most "celebrities" do not name their children hideous names. The ones who choose odd names like Apple or Rumour get a lot of publicity, but they are not the norm. "Billy" and "Lilac" (for example) are not exactly unheard of, certainly Lilac is no more unusual than Zara.
Do we live in the same world?:whistling:

North, Apple, Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones, Quincy, Blue Ivy, Maxwell, Kal-el, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence, Pilot Inspektor, Fifi Trixibelle, Kyd, Sage Moonblood, Memphis, Ocean, Rocket, Blue Angel, Audio Science, Moon Unit, Diva Thin Muffi, Moxie Crimefighter, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Little Pixie Frou-Frou Geldof, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Diezel Ky, Racer, Yamma, Speck, Pirate, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Petal Blossom Rainbow, Bamboo, Calico, Lyric Angel, Buddy Bear, Poet, Ace Knute, Zuma Nesta Rock, Bogart Che Peyote, Princess Tiaamii, Banjo, Speck Wildhorse, Rebel, Seven, Camera, Mars Merkaba, Free, Bronx Mowgli, Hero...just to name a few.
:lol::ohmy::eek:

That's one of the reasons I love Royals!

I don't think Maxwell is all that unusual - I have taught at least 20 Maxwell's. We currently have at least a dozen in our school of about 300 boys (and about 350 girls) so about 4% of the boys are named Maxwell. We have more Maxwell's for instance than William's.

Last edited:
Some did that to my son when he was little, tried calling him Scottie.

I soon put a stop to that by snarling His name's Scott! at any luckless person who tried it.

(Another thing that works is training a child to ignore all diminutives. I had a friend named Suzanne who simply did not respond to anyone who called her Suzy or Susan. It always went "oh. are you talking to me? I didn't realize, because my name's Suzanne." Simple, and effective!)

That is fine as long as it was genuinely Suzanne's preference. I would hope that she felt free to be called by a diminutive if she so chose. I think it wrong to impose your preferences on a child. It is the child's name, not the parent's.

Considerate parents give their children names that allow them a degree of choice. I was not so fortunate - I was given a name that is a diminutive of a longer traditional name (something like Beth instead of Elizabeth). I dislike my name, and have always wished that my parents had given me the full name, which has various other short forms and nicknames.

Maxwell is the list because it refers a girl not a boy (Jessica Simpson)

Considerate parents give their children names that allow them a degree of choice. I was not so fortunate - I was given a name that is a diminutive of a longer traditional name (something like Beth instead of Elizabeth). I dislike my name, and have always wished that my parents had given me the full name, which has various other short forms and nicknames.
I also dislike nicknames, full names are way more beautiful than it's nicknames. I like the name Beatriz but in my country 99% of the girls named Beatriz are called Bia, which I hate, it's so horrible!
I think the only name I like for nickname and that I would not mind to call that to my daughter is Bella for Isabella. I think it's one of the few nicknames that I like (the other I like is Kate but if a girl is named Catherine, she should be called that, Catherine is way more beautiful)

I also dislike nicknames, full names are way more beautiful than it's nicknames. I like the name Beatriz but in my country 99% of the girls named Beatriz are called Bia, which I hate, it's so horrible!
I think the only name I like for nickname and that I would not mind to call that to my daughter is Bella for Isabella. I think it's one of the few nicknames that I like (the other I like is Kate but if a girl is named Catherine, she should be called that, Catherine is way more beautiful)

Catherine is a beautiful name, but if someone prefers to be called Kate or Kathy, than that is okay too. One of my nieces, when she was two years old, went on a campaign to be called by her nickname without any prodding from her parents. If someone called her "xy" and she would say "I like "y" Interestingly enough, she introduces herself as xy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom