Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The very traditional thing to do is to name the first born after the paternal grandfather and the second born after the maternal grandfather.(which we did)

Yes - in some cultures that is tradition. Others honor someone who has passed (my youngest was named for his great grandfather - his Hebrew name as well). Others choose to name after a parent (I have a friend who is the fifth Eleanor - name given to all first-born daughters).

Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.

Peter is Michael Middleton's fathers name...also a great grandfather named Francis... I would like.

Philip Michael Francis Charles

There are lots of good things associated with Philip, but I don't like the way it sounds when said outloud. Case in point, Phillipa becomes Pippa. Pip, of course, is a beloved fictional figure from Dickens' "Great Expectations" (which is laid in Cooling where my English ancestors lived), but I don't like the sound of it for a prince. Someone said it could be pronounced Flip. I like David but it is kind of a hard name (the"id" part). What is something that really sounds good? Michael does, Peter, Robert, Aidan, Gabriel, Rowan, Noah, just a few nice-sounding names, which have or have not been used by royal men. I hope Wills and Kate will dare to look outside the immediate family for names of their son--nothing outlandish, but something that sounds well when spoken with Prince or King. We went through this "sound" element with the female names.
They probably have it chosen already, so sit back and enjoy it.

rowan is a lovely name... but you don't want to look at your future king and think of rowan Atkinson aka mr. bean.

True, why there are so many Georges:flowers:

George VI was actually born Albert Frederick Arthur George. He took the name of his father when he assumed the throne after Edward VIII abdicated. Admittedly Edward VIII was named after his grandfather, Edward VII.

I would be ecstatic if they chose to name Baby:baby:Cambridge,

'His Royal Highness Prince James William Micheal Charles of Cambridge'

I love love love the sound of that. lol.

:cheers: :king3:

Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.

Baby C's grandfathers: Charles and Michael
great-grandfathers: Philip Mountbattan, Edward 'John' Spencer, Ronald Goldsmith and Peter Middleton
great-great grandfathers: ,
Prince Andrew (Philip)
George VI (queen)
Albert Spencer (Earl Spencer's)
Maurice Roche (Francis Shand-Kydd's)
Noel Middleton (Michael's paternal grandfather)
Frederick Glasbrow (Michael's maternal grandfather)
Stephen Goldsmith (Carole's paternal grandfather)
Thomas Harrison (Carole's maternal grandfather)

Peter is Michael Middleton's fathers name...also a great grandfather named Francis... I would like.

Philip Michael Francis Charles

Francis is a few more generations back. Michael's great-grandfather (Francis Lupton was father of Olive Lupton who married Peter Middleton, the grandfather that has been mentioned Kate was close to). Would make him Kate's great-great grandfather, and the baby's great-great-great.

But since the name is not only Michael's middle name but Diana's, it would be a good way to honor them both. If they use Francis, I don't see them using Michael as well.

I wonder how long it will be before we know the little Prince's name ?

George VI was actually born Albert Frederick Arthur George. He took the name of his father when he assumed the throne after Edward VIII abdicated. Admittedly Edward VIII was named after his grandfather, Edward VII.

Edward VIII was named after his Uncle - Albert Victor who was called 'Eddy' in the family and died - George V was very close to his older brother and Mary had been his fiancee.

Edward VII was never called Edward in the family - but Bertie.

I don't mind waiting for the name, but hell, I'm Danish so I'm used to it anyway :whistling:

I'm pretty certain he's gonna be either George, Edward, Richard, Arthur, Alexander or Philip. George and Edward are the "safe" bids, very traditional names that wont surprise anyone. Richard, Arthur and Alexander are the refreshing wild cards. And finally, Philip is what I hope it'll be. I was initially guessing that Zara's bub, if a boy, would be named Philip, but I can totally see William and Catherine using it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if they call the baby George it won't be George Michael way too many bad jokes. George Charles Michael Philip maybe? They are pretty smart I'm sure they are doing rhymes etc and nicknames a name could have. It is one of the disadvantages of Philip as a first name it's usually shortened to Phil or Pip.

Given that Prince Charles will certainly take George VII, and he and Diana zeroed in on William as super-safe, and there are several Unfortunate Options (Henry [IXth], Richard [IVth ], John, James, and even Edward [IXth]), gotta figure another WILLIAM.

When did the Queen nix it before? Yes, perhaps 'worries" was the wrong word. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that some people on the forum are more 'interested' in the history of names than William or Catherine are. Although William and Catherine are probably very interested now.

The story - unverified - is that when William was born Diana wanted to name him John, after her father, and it got nixed.

What are the chances of a William nicknamed and called Liam?

Given that Prince Charles will certainly take George VII, and he and Diana zeroed in on William as super-safe, and there are several Unfortunate Options (Henry [IXth], Richard [IVth ], John, James, and even Edward [IXth]), gotta figure another WILLIAM.
I don't think there is any certainty about that at all. Infact after being known by the public as Charles for 65+ years I think it is highly unlikely he would ask the public to now think of him as George once he comes to the throne. I thonk the days of monarchs adopting new regnal names are over.

I think Philip would be a nice name for the new Prince - royal enough but not as common as George or Edward; also a very nice tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Now that little Prince Cambridge is here, I would like to see them honor Prince Phillip, I am just glad he is still around to see the heir to the throne X3. I know him him and William are close, so I like
Prince Phillip Michael Charles Louis
Prince Phillip Arthur Francis David

Now that little Prince Cambridge is here, I would like to see them honor Prince Phillip, I am just glad he is still around to see the heir to the throne X3. I know him him and William are close, so I like
Prince Phillip Michael Charles Louis
Prince Phillip Arthur Francis David

Yeah! That four generations picture of the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cambridge and Prince of Cambridge! Wonderful!

I am really hoping for Philip. It would be such a great way to honor the Duke of Edinburgh.

My guess is: Philip Charles Michael Henry James

honoring great grand father, grand fathers and uncles - Longer than normal I realize.

Okay to please a certain group:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dian Francis Spencer:lol::lol::lol:

King Dian (nice ring to it.):lol::lol:

But I think it's more likely:

George Edward Charles Phillp

if they compromise and choose an old fashioned conservative name but not a royal one I actually don't see an problem...Thomas, edmond, joseph etc. people would get used to it soon enough

His Royal Highness Prince Philip Arthur William Michael of Cambridge!

James is the name of Viscount Severn since he is only 5 I think it is safe to say that name is off the table.

I wonder how long it will be before we know the little Prince's name ?

I think W & C will try to keep the name private for as long as they can. Just as they relished that time right after the birth, before all the world knew of the arrival. I think it might be a couple of weeks - if it isn't leaked. They seem to do a good job of keeping things private (I.e. baby's gender, due date, whose home they are at). I admire that they can do that, and believe their circle is very tight and loyal. Unfortunately for us royal watchers, we may not get as much info, pictures, etc. as we like.

I think W & C will really set some new precedents in the raising of a royal.

I think the name will come very soon, as soon as they go home. This is 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom