Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am for....James Arthur Phillip Charles....then we could have a Prince Jamie! Or maybe Arthur James Phillip Charles. And how about Louis in the name somewhere after Lord Mountbatten?

Last edited:
Prince Philip Charles Michael George

Throw George in there, so if he wants, he can choose to rule as King George VII (or eighth if Charles proves rumors true and he rules as George VII).

I agree! Philip Charles Michael George, it has a lovely sound and includes most of the important male names.

Eugenie Victoria Helena- Helena for a daughter of Vic, Bea is named for another daughter, and has Elizabeth Mary for queen, queen mum, and great-great grandmum.

And Mary was also the middle name of Sarah Ferguson's mother, Susan Mary Barrantes.

How about Julius?

He was born in July. And it's so emperor like.

Naming the future King of England, for a questionable roman emperor :ohmy:

If we are going to name him for when he was born

Philip Frederick Edward George:

Philip-birth of Philip of Castile, Spencer ancestor through his great-granddaughter Marie di Medicci

Frederick-birth of Adolphus Frederick, a cousin of Queen Mary, his mother was Princess Augusta of Cambridge

Edward-for Edward I's victory over William Wallace in battle of Falkirk

George- husband of Queen Anne, in honor of the Act of the Union of the thrones of England and Scotland

How about Julius?

He was born in July. And it's so emperor like.

I had a doctor named Julius and he was wonderful. Calm, understanding and (more importantly) b. great at his job. I'd vote for a Julius right now!

I'm thinking that George is the far-and-away obvious choice, even though I don't really care for the name all that much.

Prince George of Cambridge (later the 2nd Duke) was the last prince of Cambridge, the name is not used in the family currently, and it has positive associations with HM and the royal family.

Other than that, I would love to see:

Prince Richard of Cambridge
Prince Henry of Cambridge
Prince Charles Henry of Cambridge (would go by the double name to differentiate)

I don't see them choosing a name that hasn't been used before. They probably could have for a girl, but I don't see them doing it for a boy.

I just don't see Philip happening as a first name.

It's not truly an off-chance; it's a monarch's name so it (and the other monarch names not in use) should be kept for the heir to the throne.

Edward and Sophie had the choice of thousands of names, while William and Kate are confined to only a few.

( I seem to recall hearing that Andrew was not allowed to name his daughter Victoria because Charles wanted it for his own daughter).

You could be right, but I think William is not as bound to tradition as his father was and both the Queen and Prince Charles seem to be supportive of his choices. Things have changed from 30 years ago. William and Catherine are pretty traditional, so I don't expect the baby will be named Alfalfa, but I think the Queen will acquiesce to virtually any name William and Catherine choose.

I'm not arguing, but can I ask why not? I've been thinking that Philip is far more likely than George. After all, Prince William never knew the Queen's father. I also believe that they do decide to use at least one royal family name, they will also honor someone in Catherine's family.

I'm thinking that George is the far-and-away obvious choice, even though I don't really care for the name all that much.

Prince George of Cambridge (later the 2nd Duke) was the last prince of Cambridge, the name is not used in the family currently, and it has positive associations with HM and the royal family.

Other than that, I would love to see:

Prince Richard of Cambridge
Prince Henry of Cambridge
Prince Charles Henry of Cambridge (would go by the double name to differentiate)

I don't see them choosing a name that hasn't been used before. They probably could have for a girl, but I don't see them doing it for a boy.

I agree here. I'm hoping for a Prince Richard.

I'm not arguing, but can I ask why not? I've been thinking that Philip is far more likely than George. After all, Prince William never knew the Queen's father. I also believe that they do decide to use at least one royal family name, they will also honor someone in Catherine's family.

Philip isn't a name that's been used by a regent before - the closest is Philip of Spain.

I'd like to see the child have 4 names, his first name being his/the name of a previous regent, then the 3 middle names honouring family members. Philip is a good middle name because it honours the DoE and is one of William and Charles' middle names.

Now that a boy has been born I will finally throw my hat in the ring for the naming. I think it will be

Phillip Charles Michael William

I have specific reasons to think that Phillip will be the first name. It was reported several days ago that William had a private meeting with Prince Phillip. That struck me as a significant sign of something related to the baby. My feeling is that if this meeting did in fact take place, it may have been due to William letting his grandfather know that if they had a boy they would like his first name to be Phillip, after him. Considering Prince Phillip may not be with us very much longer and his loyal service and contribution to the RF and the UK can't be denied, this would be fitting and appropriate.

I think there are possible numbering issues related to Philip of Spain's coregency with Mary I, I made a post on it earlier in the thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...mes-and-godparents-34098-108.html#post1575764

It's disputed whether or not their joint reign is a coregency along the lines of William III and Mary II so it could be sort of up in the air as to if he'd reign as "Philip" or "Philip II".

It's important to note that unlike other disputed rulers like Jane Grey, Parliamentary acts were published under the joint name of "Philip and Mary" during their marriage, and only sovereigns have had laws published in their names.

I just think it's a potential numbering "controversy" they'd be best to avoid entirely.

Last edited:
If they do name him Philip, I hope they actually call him Philip, it has a nice sound.

Philip George Henry William

Philip George Henry James

both roll off the tongue better than

Philip William Henry George (too many short i's in the front) and George doesn't sound good at the end.

I wonder if the parents are practicing saying these out loud, like mantras, to see which sequences they like - or whether they will go mainly on honoring others and tradition. I'm noticing a trend in younger people towards honoring grandparents in general.

Philip Charles would be fine. I wonder if they will go all the way out to four names. I seriously doubt they'll push the envelope and go to 5 - but it's their baby and their day, I hope they do what they really want to do.

I was really hoping for a girl. That being said I hope they name him Arthur or a name that hasn't been over used.

I think there are possible numbering issues related to Philip of Spain's coregency with Mary I, I made a post on it earlier in the thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...mes-and-godparents-34098-108.html#post1575764

It's disputed whether or not their joint reign is a coregency along the lines of William III and Mary II so it could be sort of up in the air as to if he'd reign as "Philip" or "Philip II".

It's important to note that unlike other disputed rulers like Jane Grey, Parliamentary acts were published under the joint name of "Philip and Mary" during their marriage, and only sovereigns have had laws published in their names.

I just think it's a potential numbering "controversy" they'd be best to avoid entirely.

That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of that. I hope you don't think that I was trying to start a debate, I think it is interesting to understand other people's reasoning. Some people are putting out names because they like the sound--which is fine--but there seemed to be a reason behind your statement.

George V: George Frederick Ernest Albert.

George probably had the name from his great-grandfather, an Anglicized form of Albert's father Ernst. But the likilood of a German name that hasn't been used in generations even as a middle name, making a re-occurrence, seems a far stretch IMO.

Prince Philip Charles Michael George

Throw George in there, so if he wants, he can choose to rule as King George VII (or eighth if Charles proves rumors true and he rules as George VII).

I could see this as a likely name... I would love it if they totally surprised us!

How about the name Christian?

Now that the little prince is born, congratulations to William and Catherine
My suggestions for a boys name. these names are traditional, classic, and yet would have a fresh Royal feel about it.

Robert Paul Francis

Robert is an old Scottish and Norman royal name.
Paul is the name of some Kings of Greece and some European countries. it would alsobe a tribute to Prince Philip who came from Greece.

Francis would be after Diana who second name was Frances. It would be an indirect tribute to her

That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of that. I hope you don't think that I was trying to start a debate, I think it is interesting to understand other people's reasoning. Some people are putting out names because they like the sound--which is fine--but there seemed to be a reason behind your statement.

Nope, it's fine! :)

Not many people are aware of it, so I just wanted to put it out there now.

Besides, debates are fine, what else is a forum good for anyway. :lol:

Most of the people with a problem with someone living with the name, is someone close in age. When you name a child for an older generation, like a great-grandfather, it is honoring that person. And considering the support Philip has given William, especially since his mother died, that would be a great honor. I still remember Philip walking with the boys during Diana's funeral. He didn't like Diana, thought she had tried to ruin their family, but he walked to support his grandsons on what was likely the hardest walk they will ever have to make in life.

Choosing a name for someone of the same generation, isn't really an honor. It almost seems like stealing their name. I guess you could argue Kate was naming him for her brother, but I don't know if her and Jimmy boy are so close, she'd name a son for him.

In fact, I believe that Philip actually convinced the boys (or maybe it was just one of them) to walk. It was going to be too hard and emotional. He basically said that he would do it if they would do it. He really was there for them.

Is John still a non choice? now that we know its a boy.

I would say so. Even though I personally am not superstitious, it's a rather inauspicious name in the sense that it brings back the legacies of Prince John, Prince Alexander John, King John, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom