Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't thought of Elizabeth but Victoria's name Alexandrina. Her middle name was Victoria. It is true, she did name her oldest children after herself and her husband. Are there any more I forgot???

George II, George III, George IV, skip- skip- skip then George V and George VI.

HRH Albert Victor the elder brother of George V named after his grandparents.

Frederick, Augustus, and Ernest have been carried on with heirs but more often with later children.

The further back in time one goes we find Edward, Henry being repeatedly used for father and son. They are stilll popular names in the BRF, too.

Ok I give in. I admit defeat. I'm still not a fan though and I hope this child is given name that hasn't been used recently. At least not by anyone in the immediate family.

I think King Arthur sounds so wonderfully regal and I much prefer that to a name like George (though I do love all the tradition and history behind George). Perhaps Arthur Charles Philip Michael, Arthur Richard Philip George or Arthur Philip George Francis.

I think King Arthur sounds so wonderfully regal and I much prefer that to a name like George (though I do love all the tradition and history behind George). Perhaps Arthur Charles Philip Michael, Arthur Richard Philip George or Arthur Philip George Francis.

DM will find a way to compare him with the mythical King Arthur.:lol:

Talking about naming a baby for family members, look at the queen's name -Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. It has mum, great grand mum and grand mum. I just watched a bbc show about young Victoria on my PBS station. It stated that the prince reagent (George 4) wouldn't let the baby have any of the traditional royal names and as the Archbishop of Canterbury stood over the baptismal font . The prince reagent told him that the baby could be named after her mother becomes the first English baby named Victoria.

I just watched a bbc show about young Victoria on my PBS station. It stated that the prince reagent (George 4) wouldn't let the baby have any of the traditional royal names and as the Archbishop of Canterbury stood over the baptismal font . The prince reagent told him that the baby could be named after her mother becomes the first English baby named Victoria.

To cool! Skippyboo, thanks for the information.:flowers:

Talking about naming a baby for family members, look at the queen's name -Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. It has mum, great grand mum and grand mum. I just watched a bbc show about young Victoria on my PBS station. It stated that the prince reagent (George 4) wouldn't let the baby have any of the traditional royal names and as the Archbishop of Canterbury stood over the baptismal font . The prince reagent told him that the baby could be named after her mother becomes the first English baby named Victoria.

Wow!! Did not know that Skippyboo. Thanks!!

I actually like the tradition of using certain names of Family that are or who are special to the Couple for a baby's name. We have something like that on my Mom's side w/girls. My Sister has our Great Grandmother's name for her second name and my second name is my Mom's. Our Mom also has her Grandmother's name as her second name. So I more than understand traditions like this, but it would be lovely to see some new first names come into the BRF too.

I mean, at least w/our tradition, it's mainly middle names, which allows the Parents to pick what they like too.

Not too much longer to wait to find out now.

I love the idea of tradition carrying on through the names in the family. Although I hate made-up names which are a combination.

I'm named firstly after my grandmother who died in 1918 in the flu epidemic when my father was 6 months old; and secondly after my Mother. I'm Catherine Elizabeth. MY father's name was William.

Just a little bit royal lol.

I hate names that have a non-traditional spelling, because you almost always get them wrong!

Like Bryn for Brian or Jinnafyr for Jennifer; it's confusing.

The show on Victoria was BBC Timewatch Young Victoria. I think it is on you tube. It covers similar topics as the movie did but with more informational spin and less attractive actors.

Baby c will definitely have some family names. You almost have to pencil in Phillip/Elizabeth in a name slot. Plus Elizabeth is on both sides. Hopefully Kate's side will get as much weight as William 's side. Her super morning sickness and doing the actual pushing the baby out should add some points to her side.

The historical Davids of the RF are pretty impressive. I've been reading a book which contains the story of King David of Scotland (12th century). It's called "Normans in Scotland," by Ritchie. It tells how the Normans from France and England took over the reigns of cultural life in Scotland. It talks about the new rage for castle building, for having an organized society with "burghs", "sherifs" "abbeys", and education, and details the inter-relationships between the English and the Anglo-Scots, as well as the Gaels who were still there. King David was an all-around man, very impressive, and liked by almost everyone, including the English among whom he spent much of his youth. The Normans thought of themselves as possessing Normandy, England, and Scotland, and French was usually their "first language", but they did not subjugate the natives in the way that Edward I eventually did when he decided to overcome the new culture in Scotland. Edward I was some time after King David, however.

Then there is the Welsh King David. I know little about him.

A great historical name for a prince, with almost all good associations.

King David of Scotland was the youngest son of Queen Margaret. His wife's name was Adeline, as I recall (so many names similar to that in the period when he lived, including Aveline).

Last edited:
Except for the most recent David in the royal family -Edward VIII. I forgot about Viscount Linley is David.

Last edited:
The historical Davids of the RF are pretty impressive. I've been reading a book which contains the story of King David of Scotland (12th century). It's called "Normans in Scotland," by Ritchie. It tells how the Normans from France and England took over the reigns of cultural life in Scotland. It talks about the new rage for castle building, for having an organized society with "burghs", "sherifs" "abbeys", and education, and details the inter-relationships between the English and the Anglo-Scots, as well as the Gaels who were still there. King David was an all-around man, very impressive, and liked by almost everyone, including the English among whom he spent much of his youth. The Normans thought of themselves as possessing Normandy, England, and Scotland, and French was usually their "first language", but they did not subjugate the natives in the way that Edward I eventually did when he decided to overcome the new culture in Scotland. Edward I was some time after King David, however.

Then there is the Welsh King David. I know little about him.

A great historical name for a prince, with almost all good associations.

King David of Scotland was the youngest son of Queen Margaret. His wife's name was Adeline, as I recall (so many names similar to that in the period when he lived, including Aveline).

Scotland had two king Davids.

David I, the one you mentioned above in the 12th century, was indeed the son of Queen Margrat. His wife's name was Maude/Mathilda (not Adeline). She was the daughter of the Earl of Huntingon, and their son Henry became Earl after him. It was Henry's sons who followed David, Malcom IV and William I.

David II was the son of Robert the Bruce (his father of course well known for his fictional portrayl in Braveheart, led the Scots to independence). He was in exile in France (replaced by Edward III with Edward Baiol on the throne) and later imprisoned in London. His wife Joan was Edward III's sister, and due to his imprisonment, had no kids. Joan chose to remain with her brother when her husband was released. David returned and ruled Scotland, and married Margrat Drummond who he divorced without child. He died, and a nephew took the throne as Robert II. Margrat's niece Anabella (her father John was Margrat's brother) would later marry Robert III, and was mother of James I.

In wales you have Dafydd ap Gruffydd. He was not a king, but Prince of Wales. He was the last to hold the title as an independent, executed by Edward I.

Please not not Dafydd... It reminds me too much of Little Britain and "The only gay in the village..".

I hadn't thought of Elizabeth but Victoria's name Alexandrina. Her middle name was Victoria. It is true, she did name her oldest children after herself and her husband. Are there any more I forgot???

I Like Alexandrina..... If it will be a girl so she will be the Queen some day. as for me it's rather royal name. Also guess will be Elizabeth. Not sure about Diana but maybe middle name.
btw middle name of the Elizabeth II is Alexandra.

If a boy...... I like Arthur Charles Philip ( not sure abt 4-th name).
Edward also will be rather royal.
Expect that Carol will insist on Michael.:) but somehow can't see W&K's son as Michael

Last edited:
Ladies, could you explain me as for "non-english-native-language" person the difference of spelling Catherine and Katherine.

Ladies, could you explain me as for "non-english-native-language" person the difference of spelling Catherine and Katherine.

There's no difference except some people choose to spell it with a K or C. Katherine with a K usually gets shorted to Katie, with Catherine you've got Cate or Cat for instance. It derives from Saint Catherine of Alexandria.

From Wikipedia;
The name has subsequently come to be associated with the Greek adjective καθαρός katharos, meaning 'pure', leading to the alternative spellings Katharine and Katherine.

Lumutqueen ,

thanks.

As for Duthess of Cambridge somewhere she's Catherine, somewhere Kate. Is any difference for it in England or it's like some versions of the one name?

Lumutqueen ,

thanks.

As for Duthess of Cambridge somewhere she's Catherine, somewhere Kate. Is any difference for it in England or it's like some versions of the one name?

Her name is Catherine and her nickname "Kate" came initially from the press and William himself has said Catherine has never been Kate to him. My cousin is Catherine but since she was born we have always referred to her as Katie.

Her name is Catherine and her nickname "Kate" came initially from the press and William himself has said Catherine has never been Kate to him. My cousin is Catherine but since she was born we have always referred to her as Katie.

William has used Kate several times in public during walkabouts. He even referred to her as Kate during the engagement interview. He talks in a formal setting like during a speech he uses Catherine then.

HRH Princess Elizabeth, Alexandra or Mary

or

HRH Prince George, Phillip or Richard

Thanks for correcting King David I's wife's name, Countessmeout. It's hard to keep all those names straight. One of his relatives married Aveline.

I do not think the fact that Edward VIII's name was David is detrimental. Far more misery associated with the name Edward (such as the widespread killing and executions during the reign of Edward I, plus desecration of the abbeys, which were considered havens of the enemy). The Kings David have little misery associated with them, in comparison. No one is perfect of course.

David has personal family misery history. Why would William name his son after a man who gave up the job instead of a man who overcame his stammer to lead the nation thru a war to die an early death aka george

David has personal family misery history. Why would William name his son after a man who gave up the job instead of a man who overcame his stammer to lead the nation thru a war to die an early death aka george

Actually Elizabeth Father King George was VI was Born and Christened David. That was his Birth Name, He decided to Reign as George IV (his father name) after his brother Edward Abdication

Last edited:

If the royal family were to stop using family names because of the negative history attached to them, they'd have run out of names a while ago, I think. I don't see the name David as a frontrunner for William and Kate's child, but Princess Margaret named her son David, and the Queen, of course, has a son named Edward (David's regnal name). Both the Queen and Princess Margaret were certainly closer to that "personal family history", although of course neither son was expected to become king. As has already been mentioned previously in the thread, I don't think we ought to be too quick to rule any names out.

Actually Elizabeth Father King George was IV was Born and Christened David. That was his Birth Name, He decided to Reign as George IV (his father name) after his brother Edward Abdication

You are very wrong, BritishRoyalist.

Her Majesty's father was King George VI. His name was Albert Frederick Arthur George. He was know by his Family as Bertie.

His older brother, King Edward VIII, was named Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. He was know by his family as David.

You are very wrong, BritishRoyalist.

Her Majesty's father was King George VI. His name was Albert Frederick Arthur George. He was know by his Family as Bertie.

His older brother, King Edward VIII, was named Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. He was know by his family as David.

Thank for the correction, You are right. I had to look it up and Edward VIII had David as one of his middle names Not George. For some reason I thought I remembered someone referring to George as David. Also I always get the 'IV' and 'VI' mix up.

There are so many Edwards in the RF that there are a wide variety of personality types, from great to awful, among them. I like the present Edward a lot, although part of his success is called Sophie-Louise-James. He is one of my favorite Edwards. But the drastic sadist called Edward I (sure hope I have the number right) is the polar opposite of the mild and learned present Edward. So you really can't go on that for names, I agree.

It may be, however, that a name like David has less bad baggage than most. What King Edward VIII (David) did in abdicating was a jolt, but it wasn't as bad as the rampage of Edward I.

One advantage of having a name like David would be that this would make excellent history lesson plans for teachers of children. They could learn SO much about history by studying the reigns of David I and David II and the Davids of Wales, including St. David of Wales. I am learning a whole lot about it now by reading books on the period of the Scots Davids. It was the same period when lived my only known medieval ancestor from my Scots family, Robert, son of Fulbert, who took the name Pollok after the lands on which he lived, and who was a part of the Norman/Anglo-Saxon/Celtic mix typical of the time, a great study on the intermingling of peoples.

Last edited:
Thanks for correcting King David I's wife's name, Countessmeout. It's hard to keep all those names straight. One of his relatives married Aveline.

I do not think the fact that Edward VIII's name was David is detrimental. Far more misery associated with the name Edward (such as the widespread killing and executions during the reign of Edward I, plus desecration of the abbeys, which were considered havens of the enemy). The Kings David have little misery associated with them, in comparison. No one is perfect of course.

Ada de Warrenne, I have a feeling you may be thinking. David I's daughter in law. Sometimes referred to as Adeline, she was married to his son Henry, and is mother to his two successors Malcolm IV and William the Lion. They also had a daughter Ada who was Countess of Holland.

The only Aveline of any note I recall is Aveline de Forza, and she is 13th century. She was married to Henry III's second son Edmund. Her sister in law was Queen Margrat of Scotland wife of Alexander III (and grandmother of the Maid of Scotland, which led to the whole Scottish independence issues when the little Maid died). Margrat, Aveline's sister in law, had a son Prince David of Scotland, but died young.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom