Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the modern day pronunciation of Sophia, and I think it's a lovely name with Royal family connections but I do not think it would be used as there are technically two Sophie's in the family. It would be nice if Countess of Wessex was a godmother, to give Sophie as one of her middle names.

I cannot wait for this baby to be born and I hope they don't keep the public waiting to long to know her name. That is the first question they will be asked as soon as William leaves the hospital to the waiting press, and he of course will not say as the men never do. They probably already do have the name chosen when they leave hospital but it does have to get approved of course.

I prefer the modern day pronunciation of Sophia, and I think it's a lovely name with Royal family connections but I do not think it would be used as there are technically two Sophie's in the family.

That was why I mentioned the alternative pronunciation in the first place. :cool:
Regardless of anyone's personal preferences, Sophia in its old form sounds quite different from Sophie. It is altogether a stronger sounding name.

Who's the other Sophie?

Lady Frederick Windsor a.k.a Sophie Winkleman. She is of course not that well known publically, but in the family she is obviously known.

The argument for the two Alberts isn't strong. Albert of Monaco is a different generation.... only two years older then Phillippe, Albert II of Belgium's heir.

Also, one is King Albert of Belgium and one is Prince Albert of Monacco. I'm more concerned about having, say, two named Queen Victoria.

And furthermore King Albert wasn´t always the heir to the throne. He just became King because his brother died surprisingly and without children.

I really doubt they would go with the 18th century pronunciation of Sophia or any other name in the Royal British Baby Name Book (which is all of 5 pages or so per gender).

How about Thomas for a boy? I know it's not a "royal" name, but it's certainly traditional. If they wanted to give the baby a name all his own, yet stay traditional, I think it's a fine choice.

Yes I like Thomas to, its a very pretty name for boy, traditional but not old-fashioned!
But however, I think this name suits better for a second child Catherine and William might have.

I like the name Thomas too, and Tom is a nice nick name for the Prince. Prince Thomas sounds lovely.

I really do hope these children are close to Savannah and Isla, and perhaps Louise and James as they will be the closest in age to the them in the immediate family circle. I would love to see some photos of this baby as toddler with his or her second cousin James on the balcony for Trooping the Colour, like the many photos we had of William and Harry with Freddie, Gabriella, Rose, Davina and Alexander etc.

Also, one is King Albert of Belgium and one is Prince Albert of Monacco. I'm more concerned about having, say, two named Queen Victoria.

It's not likely that they will be Queen at the same time or if both of them become Queen at all

One would be Victoria II and one would be just Victoria
Victoria II would be 36 yrs younger than Victoria
Victoria II would be world famous, Victoria would be lucky to be known outside of Scandinavia.
Cannot see any possibility of confusing the two.

Victoria II would be world famous, Victoria would be lucky to be known outside of Scandinavia.

Victoria will turn 36 in July

I'd like to see the future monarch christened with a traditional but not commonly used name.

There are many choices for a girl: Alexandra, Charlotte, and my favorite, Augusta.

I think boys are harder. There seem to be a never-ending list of Henrys, Georges, and Edwards in the BRF. I believe myself that the current Prince of Wales will reign, if he accedes to the throne, as George VII.

How about going back further to some of the really old Anglo-Saxon names?
Alfred ("Prince Alf"?)
Harold
Edgar
Edmund​

My favorite among these would be Edmund. For a young prince, how about Edmund William Charles Michael? He could reign as Edmund III or William VI (assuming his father reigns as William V).

I kind of like the name Edmund. I also think the name Albert Edward Charles George has a nice ring to it.

Probably future Sweden Queen will ve Victoria I. She's already well known not only in the North Europe.

"Victoria" II certainly will be world famous this summer, but what will be in future totally depends of the ruling of her grandfather and father.

Probably future Sweden Queen will ve Victoria I. She's already well known not only in the North Europe.

Sweden's Queen will just be Victoria until another Victoria becomes Queen in Sweden in later years. There's no need for an I.

Victoria would be a wonderful and regal name
Bye Bine

It's a bit of a surprise to me that the bookies have tilted the odds so heavily in favor of a girl. I think people still buy into the idea that she "revealed" it was a girl...

The odds are still 50/50 either way.

If they chose Arthur they tribute English history and if a boy he'll be the most English Prince in how long? Since the Tudors, perhaps?

Arthur is also included in the names of George VI, Charles, and William allowing other names to be used. So I believe Arthur Philip Michael Henry is a fair bet.

I don't disallow Philippa as a name and I see Catherine as a strong possibility. William is devoted to his wife and Catherine needs to break free from being just the name of Queen Consorts. I believe more QC's have been name Catherine than any other name. So, Catherine Anne Philippa Elizabeth are my choices.

Whatever is chosen I hope the child lives a long and happy life, with much love.

I like the name Catherine, and I agree that it's about time such a name be given to a princess of the blood. Strange that it hasn't already.

I like the name Catherine, and I agree that it's about time such a name be given to a princess of the blood. Strange that it hasn't already.

It occurred to me that they could name a daughter after her mother yet spell it differently. Katherine. :)

I've never been a fan of naming children after their own parents and since it's not a tradition within the BRF (as far as I know at least) I don't think they'll pick William or C(K)atherine for this baby. I think they'll choose a name that hasn't been used in a few generations, in their immediate family, but still has a firm basis in history and tradition. Eleanor, Margot (variety of Margaret), Victoria, Arthur, Leopold, etc.

Btw... I'm not counting middle names here..

The last two queens, Elizabeth and Victoria, were named for their mothers, and then Victoria named her own first son and daughter after herself and Albert.

I hadn't thought of Elizabeth but Victoria's name Alexandrina. Her middle name was Victoria. It is true, she did name her oldest children after herself and her husband. Are there any more I forgot???

I don't disallow Philippa as a name and I see Catherine as a strong possibility. William is devoted to his wife and Catherine needs to break free from being just the name of Queen Consorts. I believe more QC's have been name Catherine than any other name. So, Catherine Anne Philippa Elizabeth are my choices.

It occurred to me that they could name a daughter after her mother yet spell it differently. Katherine.

I really like Katherine Anne for a girl.

:previous:If William insists on naming his possible first born daughter after her mother Catherine. I don't see them changing the spelling of it due to that spelling is the spelling of HRH Katherine of Kent. If he wants Catherine as the name, I believe it will be spelled as her mother spells it. It would be a 'wicked' turn for all those 'Waity Katie' folks, wouldn't it? :ROFLMAO:

I like Catherine as a first name for a little princess...but i like Alexandrea as well...

I hadn't thought of Elizabeth but Victoria's name Alexandrina. Her middle name was Victoria. It is true, she did name her oldest children after herself and her husband. Are there any more I forgot???

King William I named his third son after himself. He become King William II in 1087.

King Henry II also named his third son after himself, he was Henry the Young King, who died prior he could ascend to the Throne.

King Edward I named his fifth son after himself, he become King Edward II in 1307.

King Edward II named his firstborn son after himself, he become King Edward III in 1327.

King Edward III also named his firstborn son after himself, he was Edward, the Black Prince, who died prior he could ascend to the Throne.

King Henry IV named his second son after himself, he become King Henry V in 1413.

King Henry V named his only son after himself, he become King Henry VI in 1422.

King Edward IV named his firstborn son after himself, he become King Edward V in 1470 (he was one of the Princes in the Tower).

King Henry VII named his second son after himself, he become King Henry VIII in 1509.

King Henry VIII named three of his legitimate sons after himself, both died young. Two of his illegitimate sons were also named after him.

King Charles I named his firstborn son after himself, he become King Charles II in 1660.

King James II named named three of his sons after himself. All died young.

Queen Anne named her third daughter after herself, but she died young.

King George I named his only son after himself, he become King George II in 1727.

King George II named his third son after himself, but he died young.

King George III named his firstborn son after himself, he become King George IV in 1760.

Queen Victoria named her firstborn daughter after herself, she become the German Empress in 1888.

King George V named his fourth son after himself, he become the Duke of Kent. Also, his second son decided to reign as King George VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom